Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Perhaps Tone Down the Mobs?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Dr Von on Dec 17, 2016 wrote:
i've been hit for 3-4k quite a few times since starting mirage.

just this morning, a storm critter (not even a boss) hit me for 1877 damage~ that's not counting the critical that i miraculously blocked for once; otherwise, he would have hit me for almost 4k damage and i would have been close enough to dead that healing wouldn't have made a difference (balance's heal over time isn't worth using if you have less than 75% health, since the initial heal is so small that it won't help you if you're near defeat).

i'm tempted to start taking screenshots of some of these hits, because you can't make this stuff up.

-von
It all comes up to the gear you have on I would say. It can be prevented if you are using gear with better resist and a pet that has nice resist too.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
morgandarkrider1 on Dec 18, 2016 wrote:
Hey, I sadly disagree with you. I am a casual player and I find the challenges quite fun actually. Kingslsle only made mirage harder because people complained about how easy Polaris was. I personally do not think they should change the mobs. I hope this doesn't make anyone mad I am just saying that I thought the challenges were really fun. Besides you don't have to quest alone.

Morgan Darkrider 120
Multi-player online games were designed for a range of individuals; and not just for one person. As individuals experience game content, they share all the good and bad with other players. Some individuals will readily agree how easy or hard portions of the game are; while others won't. Hardcore players who love to go off on solo adventures will find fun challenges waiting for them in Mirage, while other players in need of better gear and weapons may find joining teams helps them successfully get through Mirage. As player comments and suggestions find their way to Game developers; game content naturally gets adjusted up and down accordingly. And while I love the most difficult challenges that can be faced and beaten in the game, I spend most of my time helping other players successfully navigate through game content, so its easy to see and understand why they appreciate getting to fight toned down mobs until they can gain access to better gear and weapons.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
frostednutella on Dec 18, 2016 wrote:
It all comes up to the gear you have on I would say. It can be prevented if you are using gear with better resist and a pet that has nice resist too.
full set of darkmoor gear, 50% universal resist.
(don't use the staff though, i kept my lunar scepter of anubis for the extra block)

don't want to think of what my other wizards, who are still in ww or kh crafted gear would have gotten hit for, since they have nowhere near that. but i also don't plan on taking any other wizards through mirage, so there's that.

i had 63% crit and 72% block before the nerf, which was fine. but i get the impression that ki has been playing with our stats again... earlier tonight, i was questing alone and i criticaled on literally every spell: heals, hits, the works. i also blocked a ton of stuff that i wouldn't normally block post-nerf. so someone is definitely messing with the formula for crit/block.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Dec 17, 2016 wrote:
So are you all saying the game should be at a level that there is never a chance to be defeated regardless of how you play?

I was once a so-called "casual" player. Back when the last world was dragonspyre and no one had universal resist but ice, pets did nothing but look cute, and you could not buy whatever treasure card you happened to need at the time.

Guess what, I died, sometimes quite a bit. I remember having to do one boss in DS 5 times before I defeated them over the course of a few days even. Did I care, no not really, I was playing to relax not in some great race to finish the game. I kept going and figured it out. As a "Casual" player, what is the hurry to finish everything in a week really?

I played with my then 10 year old son, and yes kids get upset when their character is defeated, but it is a good lesson in losing gracefully in my opinion. Getting every win is not realistic nor does it teach children anything but to feel entitled.

Best thing about wiz, is you die, you come back to life.
Maybe you need to take a look at what some are saying on Central. Since screenshots can be posted there, and, as the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Check this one out. This player is not exaggerating anything with the screenshot and she is good.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?476945-Please-Nerf-Mirage-Mob-Natural-Attacks

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Jasmine3429 on Dec 17, 2016 wrote:
So are you all saying the game should be at a level that there is never a chance to be defeated regardless of how you play?

I was once a so-called "casual" player. Back when the last world was dragonspyre and no one had universal resist but ice, pets did nothing but look cute, and you could not buy whatever treasure card you happened to need at the time.

Guess what, I died, sometimes quite a bit. I remember having to do one boss in DS 5 times before I defeated them over the course of a few days even. Did I care, no not really, I was playing to relax not in some great race to finish the game. I kept going and figured it out. As a "Casual" player, what is the hurry to finish everything in a week really?

I played with my then 10 year old son, and yes kids get upset when their character is defeated, but it is a good lesson in losing gracefully in my opinion. Getting every win is not realistic nor does it teach children anything but to feel entitled.

Best thing about wiz, is you die, you come back to life.
What I'm saying is that this is not the gaming experience I'm looking for.

Interpret it however you want. But trying to shame me isn't going to change that.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Dr Von on Dec 19, 2016 wrote:
full set of darkmoor gear, 50% universal resist.
(don't use the staff though, i kept my lunar scepter of anubis for the extra block)

don't want to think of what my other wizards, who are still in ww or kh crafted gear would have gotten hit for, since they have nowhere near that. but i also don't plan on taking any other wizards through mirage, so there's that.

i had 63% crit and 72% block before the nerf, which was fine. but i get the impression that ki has been playing with our stats again... earlier tonight, i was questing alone and i criticaled on literally every spell: heals, hits, the works. i also blocked a ton of stuff that i wouldn't normally block post-nerf. so someone is definitely messing with the formula for crit/block.
The higher the level the higher your crit and block stats need to be to keep up with the same percentage. It's a little crazy especially when they don't improve the gear. I don't understand why a mob would get a 3k hit on someone with that much resist but I can imagine the bosses doing it still.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
High Five Ghost on Dec 20, 2016 wrote:
What I'm saying is that this is not the gaming experience I'm looking for.

Interpret it however you want. But trying to shame me isn't going to change that.
Who is trying to shame you? If I were playing a game I did not enjoy, I would find another game, but maybe that's just me.

BTW my post was not directed at you or meaning to shame anyone. All I am saying is does everyone really expect that you can complete any game out there without actually knowing the mechanics enough to succeed? Think about it, this goes for any game really.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
In addition to questing to finish Mirage, I've been working on faction badges. I think once the harcores finish Mirage, they may do more of the faction stuff, so there should be more higher level players near a bunch of mobs. I know I am.

:) And, we all need MORE mobs!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Someone name me one game you can complete without understanding the rules/mechanics? Seems to me this is what we are all asking for. Just the fact that someone made it to 110 without understanding what a pierce blade is astounds me.

I was in a mob fight against fire creatures the other day and an ice wizard cast 1 consecutive 10% pierce blades as opposed to using a damage boost blade, boggles the mind really.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
DragonLady1818 on Dec 19, 2016 wrote:
Maybe you need to take a look at what some are saying on Central. Since screenshots can be posted there, and, as the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Check this one out. This player is not exaggerating anything with the screenshot and she is good.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?476945-Please-Nerf-Mirage-Mob-Natural-Attacks
That's a very informative screenshot.

Let's reverse-engineer that 6k hit. First, assume it's a critical. That means the non-critical damage is about 3,000. With Storm Blade (+30%) and Storm Trap (+35%), the wizard would be taking 3,000 / 1.755, or 1709 damage prior to modifiers - assuming the wizard had no Resist rating at all. If the wizard had 40% Resist, damage would be around 2,800 - roughly ten times the damage from a 3 pip natural attack listed for this enemy.

This brings to mind the Ice enemy that I fought in Malistaire's home. While normal Mirage enemies have single- to low-double-digit Pierce, this crazy guy had 70% Pierce (Frost Shield TC was only 10% effective). I wonder if Mirage enemies have some buggy stats - maybe someone doing data entry has occasionally missed a decimal point?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
frostednutella on Dec 20, 2016 wrote:
The higher the level the higher your crit and block stats need to be to keep up with the same percentage. It's a little crazy especially when they don't improve the gear. I don't understand why a mob would get a 3k hit on someone with that much resist but I can imagine the bosses doing it still.
yes, and that's just the problem: other than darkmoor (which is supposedly "optional"), there is no good gear. in addition, there is nothing worth crafting and nothing that "works" with the new system. crafted gear is dreadful and it has especially been awful for balance (my main wizard's school)~ we haven't had any good crafted gear since level 56.

one thing i've noticed is that the numbers don't always make sense; i can get hit twice in a row by the same spell, and one hits for 100 damage, the other for 2500. i have a feeling that the "ki math" we all know and love (/sarc) is responsible for this, since it just doesn't add up.

-von

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Dec 20, 2016 wrote:
Who is trying to shame you? If I were playing a game I did not enjoy, I would find another game, but maybe that's just me.

BTW my post was not directed at you or meaning to shame anyone. All I am saying is does everyone really expect that you can complete any game out there without actually knowing the mechanics enough to succeed? Think about it, this goes for any game really.
I think those who keep demanding more and harder content need to stop and take a look around. There are families with players who may have some sort of disability that makes it hard for them to the mechanics of any game.

Not all players think the same way and expecting them to understand how everything works is wrong. Many who have been playing this game did enjoy it and were glad to have something to come to after a long day at school or work. Now if you don't have the best gear or pet, it is not fun. No fun means they no longer enjoy it and will stop paying to play. There are VERY FEW games that directly targeted casual and family players. That is why this game was such a big hit and parents weren't afraid to let their kids play this game and steer them away from the SHOOTER games.

So maybe it is time for the hardcore players to think about others for a change instead of themselves. If it is not hard enough for you, downgrade your gear and pets. Downgrade till it hurts. Play the way many have to play just to make any headway.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Dec 21, 2016 wrote:
I think those who keep demanding more and harder content need to stop and take a look around. There are families with players who may have some sort of disability that makes it hard for them to the mechanics of any game.

Not all players think the same way and expecting them to understand how everything works is wrong. Many who have been playing this game did enjoy it and were glad to have something to come to after a long day at school or work. Now if you don't have the best gear or pet, it is not fun. No fun means they no longer enjoy it and will stop paying to play. There are VERY FEW games that directly targeted casual and family players. That is why this game was such a big hit and parents weren't afraid to let their kids play this game and steer them away from the SHOOTER games.

So maybe it is time for the hardcore players to think about others for a change instead of themselves. If it is not hard enough for you, downgrade your gear and pets. Downgrade till it hurts. Play the way many have to play just to make any headway.
Very well said! I want to see this game have a long, happy life. I had typed in ABRACADABRA and had my finger hovering over the delete key, when my friends said they needed me as a life wizard. I figured I could at least stay to help them as long as I could. Now I have decided to stay till I got truly stuck, which might be at Shadowwock lol.

The very volume of people complaining about the difficulty of this world should give everyone pause to think. KI needs to make a decision, once and for all, if they really want to shun the original target audience in favor of the hardcore. There are MANY hardcore games out there, so their competition will be VERY stiff. Just saying. The hardcore also need to think about the future of this game that they profess to love so much. If they care about it as they say they do, then they will advocate for as many players as possible to enjoy it. More players = more cash flow = longer lifespan for W101.

I totally agree with you about the hardcore needing to compromise here. The average player has not considered this game easy for quite a few worlds, yet the hardcore insist that its been too easy all along and that Mirage is a "refreshing" challenge for them and they don't want that taken away. Some even complain that Mirage s still too easy. Many, as casual players, have compromised and struggled thru many worlds. I don't understand why the hardcore can't for a change. They can always build a more difficult experience by downgrading their gear in some way till it hurts like you said. Why don't they then? And if its because they earned that gear and want to use it, then they can use it, realizing that the best gear in the game is just going to make things easy for them. They can't have it both ways.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012

I find your manipulative argument to be selfish. The thousands of players that simply want Mirage to be more difficult than Khrysalis are all so bad and mean! Make it all easy for anyone to solo! Bring back Unicorn way! They are hurting families and what about the disabled! Nice way to use buzzwords to pull at the heartstrings and steer the conversation to your ends. Its not that hard to get through Mirage. Its not that hard to quest in a crowded realm and find team members that are stronger if you could use a hand. Lots of players are willing to lend a hand, I personally check every single boss for wizards that are in team up for help. Making friends and team work is what its about at this level. Deal with it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Black Pearl on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
Very well said! I want to see this game have a long, happy life. I had typed in ABRACADABRA and had my finger hovering over the delete key, when my friends said they needed me as a life wizard. I figured I could at least stay to help them as long as I could. Now I have decided to stay till I got truly stuck, which might be at Shadowwock lol.

The very volume of people complaining about the difficulty of this world should give everyone pause to think. KI needs to make a decision, once and for all, if they really want to shun the original target audience in favor of the hardcore. There are MANY hardcore games out there, so their competition will be VERY stiff. Just saying. The hardcore also need to think about the future of this game that they profess to love so much. If they care about it as they say they do, then they will advocate for as many players as possible to enjoy it. More players = more cash flow = longer lifespan for W101.

I totally agree with you about the hardcore needing to compromise here. The average player has not considered this game easy for quite a few worlds, yet the hardcore insist that its been too easy all along and that Mirage is a "refreshing" challenge for them and they don't want that taken away. Some even complain that Mirage s still too easy. Many, as casual players, have compromised and struggled thru many worlds. I don't understand why the hardcore can't for a change. They can always build a more difficult experience by downgrading their gear in some way till it hurts like you said. Why don't they then? And if its because they earned that gear and want to use it, then they can use it, realizing that the best gear in the game is just going to make things easy for them. They can't have it both ways.
Thank you.:)

I have been looking at a few threads on Central and I have seen some posting about how fast they can do the entire game from start to max. Others have posted they completed Mirage in Hours, but come here and actually accuse casual players of wanting worlds that can be played in hours. Far from it. Casual players want to enjoy the game but they certainly aren't trying to run an entire world in hours or even days.. Most take their time and gear up as best as they can and many times that isn't enough to keep them from struggling.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Dr Von on Dec 21, 2016 wrote:
yes, and that's just the problem: other than darkmoor (which is supposedly "optional"), there is no good gear. in addition, there is nothing worth crafting and nothing that "works" with the new system. crafted gear is dreadful and it has especially been awful for balance (my main wizard's school)~ we haven't had any good crafted gear since level 56.

one thing i've noticed is that the numbers don't always make sense; i can get hit twice in a row by the same spell, and one hits for 100 damage, the other for 2500. i have a feeling that the "ki math" we all know and love (/sarc) is responsible for this, since it just doesn't add up.

-von
Exactly, I totally agree. There are times when I'll be using gear that gives me 66% critical chance and I might not even get a critical for ten hits straight. I guess the Khrysalis crafting gear is pretty good, I used it for my myth as a place holder for Darkmoor gear.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
AmberRavenSong7 on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
I find your manipulative argument to be selfish. The thousands of players that simply want Mirage to be more difficult than Khrysalis are all so bad and mean! Make it all easy for anyone to solo! Bring back Unicorn way! They are hurting families and what about the disabled! Nice way to use buzzwords to pull at the heartstrings and steer the conversation to your ends. Its not that hard to get through Mirage. Its not that hard to quest in a crowded realm and find team members that are stronger if you could use a hand. Lots of players are willing to lend a hand, I personally check every single boss for wizards that are in team up for help. Making friends and team work is what its about at this level. Deal with it.
Why call other players names??

"What about the disabled" is a very valid concern they had.

It isn't always easy to find helpers or people who are reliable questers to quest with you. And some people do not have energy or can't type fast enough to keep up in chat and be social, s they prefer to solo for that reason too.
Some people *are* disabled, Amber, and the game should be inclusive of everyone.

JMO. Hope I am not being too "manipulative!"

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Black Pearl on Dec 18, 2016 wrote:
Some people think that casual players are afraid of dying. This is not the case. The sad thing is that they die too much. In fact they die so much that in a lot of cases they get hopelessly stuck at a boss, or in the case of Mirage, a mob. I just helped a friend last night who had been stuck at Morganthe for over six months! Admittedly, her gear could have been a lot better so no one wanted to team up with her.

In the case of the Mirage mobs, once the speedy, hardcore wave goes thru, we all know its going to be a ghost town, and we all know that team up won't work for open world mobs. Yeah people aren't supposed to quest alone yada, yada, yada, but I don't think a lot of people are listening. Many of these players have to play at odd hours due to work and school obligations. One of my friends has a heavy college load that makes it very hard for her to play with others. For her to play with me she has to be on at one and two in the morning due to the time difference.

The casual players are not trying to finish Mirage in a week. Many are happy just to finish at all. If there are any that seem to be in a rush its because they know they need help and have no friends on when they need them, so they are hoping to get help before the world becomes a ghost town.
Very well put and fair.

I'm not anywhere near Mirage yet but I am having trouble with Lt. Culpepper quest.

I joined it by mistake and we were having a good team cooperating and doing okay and then we hit the boss and minions from Hades, and they wiped us each out with a hit of ten THOUSAND. Per person.

The other players were good players.

Some things *are* too hard, and that quest is just in Wizard City!
I don't want to sit here waiting on strangers just so I can play a game. That's not relaxing to me at that point. The game should be do-able soloing, maybe buying the occasional henchman, but it shouldn't be next to impossible for all but the experts. Since it doesn't have such a thing as easy, medium, hard and there can be only one, levels, it needs to include everyone in the one difficulty level it has, imo.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Ouch! That was a little harsh don't you think? I would think as the mother of a ten year old (as you mentioned in another post) you would have a bit more compassion. If your child had a learning disability for example, would you want the teachers and other kids to tell him to "just suck it up and deal with it"? How do you think that child would feel when they are trying their best but still can't succeed?

I would agree with the hardcore if this was a game designed for them. I would never go to one of those games and demand things be made easier. I would see what the game was about, and when I saw that it wasn't my thing, I would quietly leave. The hardcore who came to this game had to see what it was like in first arc. There was plenty of time for them to see what kind of audience it was geared for. Yet they stayed, and then complained that it was too easy. They complained and complained until KI began to listen to them because of how vocal they were. They got their way and alienated a lot of the target audience. Even then, KI didn't do well enough for them. It STILL isn't hard enough for some!

How hard can a turn based game get to keep up with the demands of the hardcore players? Eventually it will be unplayable for nearly everyone except the very few elites. I can tell you now that the elite are never a large enough majority to keep this game in the black.

Not to be offensive or anything, but I think the hardcore can just "deal with it" (at least those who have no compassion or understanding for how the other side feels). They are in a much better position. They can make their own challenges if they are bored. The average, struggling player can't make things easier. This game was designed to fill a casual, family niche so those are not the players being selfish here.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
Thank you.:)

I have been looking at a few threads on Central and I have seen some posting about how fast they can do the entire game from start to max. Others have posted they completed Mirage in Hours, but come here and actually accuse casual players of wanting worlds that can be played in hours. Far from it. Casual players want to enjoy the game but they certainly aren't trying to run an entire world in hours or even days.. Most take their time and gear up as best as they can and many times that isn't enough to keep them from struggling.
As a casual, family type player, my goal is to be able to finish a world before the next one comes out. That's about a year or so. I hardly think that's an absurd goal. The problem with the way this game is headed is that, with every new world, I am not sure if I will be able to survive to see the next one. That keeps me from wanting to spend much on this game. If I get stuck for good around the next corner I don't want to have invested for nothing.

I literally feel like I am being squeezed out. Not only do the worlds take big jumps in difficulty (I expect harder, but in a gradual slope), but there is a lack of gear to compensate. No crafting in Polaris, but we get a dungeon (that KI even SAID was for the hardcore) as the only way to get gear good enough for Mirage. Increased difficulty + decreased strength due to lack of good gear = no fun for the struggling, average player. Add in the crit/block decay rate and its a recipe for disaster for them. Thus the squeeze, and no way to make it better. (Darkmoor is still no fun for the casual player to do once, let alone farm.)

So far the drops in Mirage are bad (I just finished Shadowbones),and I don't see any other options except for possibly another hardcore dungeon that again freezes out the average player. I am hoping KI adds some crafted gear, or even something decent to buy in the crown shop at this point. Something we can buy outright tho, not in chance packs.It doesn't have to be as good as dropped gear from a hardcore dungeon (otherwise the hardcore will whine its pay to play), but it should be a close second.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009

First of all "hardcore" and "Wizard101" do not belong in the same sentence, hard core games do not play this game ever!

Second, stop blaming the children, if a 10 year old actually makes it to Mirage I would put money on the fact that they know the game better than 80% of the adults out there.

Third, wanting to complete a game you do not understand is just ridiculous in my opinion. This is Wiz not brain surgery. What is so hard about blade, blade, blade hit anyway?

Fourth, casual does not mean clueless, gearless or petless, it is simply someone who plays the game here or there for an hour or so to relax. It does not preclude them from understanding how to play or having good gear, pets, etc.
Again, the spells people are pulling out of their decks in mob battles is just witness to how far people have progressed in the game without understanding even basic mechanics.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
What you just said there was extremely rude. Here's something to think about, ignore the target of people this game was meant for and what do you get, well it's definitely not Wizard101. If you want a game that is more complicated, don't play a game with the target audience of sweet and little families.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2015
I'm not a hardcore player, but I personally love the challenge. Polaris is like a tricycle, it is easy to ride and there isn't that big of a challenge. Mirage is like a bicycle, you will obviously fall on your first time, that why you get back up and try again, and again, and again, until you finally get the hang of it. Mirage is hard, but it is doable. If something is hard then ask for help from other people that are fighting the same mob you need to fight, don't be shy. I'm not saying that the mobs are extremely easy. I think maybe a slight drop in the mobs damage is all that I would ask for. I got one shot by a Fire From Above, so I tried fighting that mob again, I won. If Mirage is hard for you go to Mercenaries for Hire and ask someone for help, or look up guides that other players made to help you win in a fight.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
lizzermaybay on Dec 24, 2016 wrote:
I'm not a hardcore player, but I personally love the challenge. Polaris is like a tricycle, it is easy to ride and there isn't that big of a challenge. Mirage is like a bicycle, you will obviously fall on your first time, that why you get back up and try again, and again, and again, until you finally get the hang of it. Mirage is hard, but it is doable. If something is hard then ask for help from other people that are fighting the same mob you need to fight, don't be shy. I'm not saying that the mobs are extremely easy. I think maybe a slight drop in the mobs damage is all that I would ask for. I got one shot by a Fire From Above, so I tried fighting that mob again, I won. If Mirage is hard for you go to Mercenaries for Hire and ask someone for help, or look up guides that other players made to help you win in a fight.
Wait for it. Wait for it....

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
frostednutella on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:
What you just said there was extremely rude. Here's something to think about, ignore the target of people this game was meant for and what do you get, well it's definitely not Wizard101. If you want a game that is more complicated, don't play a game with the target audience of sweet and little families.
Can you elaborate on what exactly is "complicated" about this game?