Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mirage difficulty complaints

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
There are to groups of players casual players and hardcore players i don't judge the casual players but there complaints affect the hardcore player who like a challenge

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
DragonLady1818 on Jan 28, 2017 wrote:
Just because you did it, doesn't mean that everyone can. There are some who do have better gear and strategy, but telling others to deal with it isn't a good way to respond to a post.

Not every one wants or even likes to team up and friends aren't always on.

Please don't say things like you did in this post. Some of those posting happen to be very good and are also the same ones who have worked up all the guides on Central. So no, we are not all bad at the game.
DragonLady1818 your right i don't judge casual players but i'm just angry that they nerf it because i liked the mirage struggle i liked the challenge

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
Vanessa Mythdust on Jan 23, 2017 wrote:
Worlds aren't being nerfed because of bad players, they're being nerfed to accommodate different people and different playstyles. A world that may seem easy to you may seem difficult to someone else. There are many different perspectives in MMORPGs and while you may not agree with them all, it's important to acknowledge and respect them. No one way of playing is better than another.

I actually think a nerf after a world release is healthy for the game. This allows hardcore players to initially quest through the game with the challenge they prefer, and casuals will be able to catch up after the fact. It's essential that KingsIsle not alienate a portion of their player base. To do that, often some sacrifices must be made.

~Vanessa Mythdust
Vanessa M i don't judge casual players i was just angry cause i like the challenge

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
Justin Emeraldblad... on Feb 2, 2017 wrote:
Vanessa M i don't judge casual players i was just angry cause i like the challenge
No worries, that's completely understandable. :) Many people feel the same way you do. All players should have their thoughts heard by KingsIsle.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
YOU may like the challenge, but you are not seeing the people around you who may struggle.

I am a very skilled casual player who can finish the worlds without too much difficulty. However, I look around at other players .... their gear .... their pets .... their battle strategy, and I offer to help them get better by letting them know what gear would be best (not dungeon-farmed), I offer to hatch pets, and help improve their spell decks for more efficiency.

I have friends who struggle. I see other players who are struggling. I do not judge them just because I can defeat something easier than they can. My eyes are open to what's around me.

Challenge is in the eye of the beholder. I don't need the worlds to be difficult to have fun. I don't mow through a new world, but I stop to smell the roses .... reading all the dialog, take in the graphics, explore a new area .... I don't need to finish fast. I don't need to slog-farm through dungeons to get gear (I used to, but got burned out). I do what I can with what I can get which also includes some pack wands (for example).

I may want more of a challenge, but I am willing to accept that not everyone can do what I do. Adjustments to worlds are necessary for the majority of the player base. I'm good with that. It does not diminish the enjoyment of a new world. Not-at-all.

I did my bit, but now I'm off to help others get through whatever difficult part of the world they are stuck on.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 5, 2017 wrote:
YOU may like the challenge, but you are not seeing the people around you who may struggle.

I am a very skilled casual player who can finish the worlds without too much difficulty. However, I look around at other players .... their gear .... their pets .... their battle strategy, and I offer to help them get better by letting them know what gear would be best (not dungeon-farmed), I offer to hatch pets, and help improve their spell decks for more efficiency.

I have friends who struggle. I see other players who are struggling. I do not judge them just because I can defeat something easier than they can. My eyes are open to what's around me.

Challenge is in the eye of the beholder. I don't need the worlds to be difficult to have fun. I don't mow through a new world, but I stop to smell the roses .... reading all the dialog, take in the graphics, explore a new area .... I don't need to finish fast. I don't need to slog-farm through dungeons to get gear (I used to, but got burned out). I do what I can with what I can get which also includes some pack wands (for example).

I may want more of a challenge, but I am willing to accept that not everyone can do what I do. Adjustments to worlds are necessary for the majority of the player base. I'm good with that. It does not diminish the enjoyment of a new world. Not-at-all.

I did my bit, but now I'm off to help others get through whatever difficult part of the world they are stuck on.
You're spot on BrynnerOfReign! Wizard 101 appeals to a wide range of individuals. Not everyone who plays has the best gear, pets, weapons, or spells; or always know how to approach and defeat every battle, boss, or dungeon before jumping in. Like you, I help other players successfully get through game content, and also share and show them how to obtain or craft better items that will allow them to get through game content easier and faster.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
There are to groups of players casual players and hardcore players i don't judge the casual players but there complaints affect the hardcore player who like a challenge
There aren't just two groups of players. Splitting everybody up into two groups like that is a gross oversimplification. Yes, I've been guilty of it in the past, but I understand there is a wide variety of tastes in this game that put players in plenty of grey areas instead of just black and white columns. KI used to be pretty good at striking a balance in providing content that could appeal to most players.

There has always been a certain degree of divisiveness in the game, but it has just amplified in the past few years. And like I say, I don't see it just being a casual vs. hardcore thing, because if you take the people who could identify with either label, all of them have played the same game up to this point and more or less enjoyed it. Now all of a sudden it seems like asking to find common ground is the worst thing you can ask someone to do. There is only my way, or the highway.

This issue is much deeper than a simple casual vs. hardcore debate.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
i have been playing this game for a very long time now maybe a year or so after its release. I love this game very much and have spent countless hours on this game with several different characters deleted and restarted several times. However i consider myself a "hardcore" yet oddly "casual" player of this game. However i do believe that the game has gotten a little bit out of hand with its difficulty gap. celestia was a beautiful world when it came out full of challenge and new mechanics bosses where harder to fight due to their health and slightly increased damage, and that had players rethinking how to play. There were very few bosses who "cheated" and even when they did it was mudane things like getting a free blade for themselves or perhaps a field spell or a free shield even. However the "Cheating" in the newer worlds where when your friend comes to play with you and you get punished because they were one turn to late and you have no choice but to take it because you didn't know they were coming or did not even know this boss had the cheat so thats half of both players health gone, It punishes us for doing exactly what the game is apparently all about to move people "teamwork" and "playing together" cheats where bosses to ridiculous 3 spell combos because you used a game mechanic or a specific card forcing to remake your deck every other fight. I want to play the way i play and forcing me to strip my deck and side deck every time a new fight comes break immersion to the game for me and is getting way to out of hand making it impossible for players like myself to who love to solo and play the game alone to do so.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
Do not get me wrong I LOVE the social aspect of this game and do not mind teaming up helping out or in general playing with people when the opportunity presents itself, But i should not be forced into having to wait in front of a team up sigil for almost 30 minutes to get help in something i would much rather have done by myself if i could. Bosses like Darkmoor Malistaire are an exception this is not required game content these bosses do not neccessarily need to be done to progress in the game but do to the ridiculous difficulty of the worlds now trying to play without the best gear possible is just out right suicide in just about all fights.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
Even with i first started the game i never really found anything to challenging and was able to solo everything by myself with no exceptions and to me that was the best time of my life i never got bored playing this game i enjoyed the game for what it was an adventure of a gifted wizard who stood above all else a prodigy in the making difficulty does not make a good game the experience does and breaking my immersion and flow of the game over a boss thats just outright ridiculous and impossible to play alone stops that fun it puts the entire game on hold for several minutes while i remake my deck, find people to play, look up his/her cheats, fight them several times over because they critical almost every round and even in full malistaire gear only having less then 30% block. playing without a healer is almost impossible in a lot of these places. the social aspect is there for people who want it yes but the game should be achievable to players with or without the help of others. Most bosses now require you to constantly "flee" the fight use a potion and teleport back again completely breaking immersion of the game "the great and powerful wizard runs to heal and call backup" that doesn't sit right with me.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
bosses using cheats that punish you because you simply want to play the game your way i don't want to set my deck with 10 cards blades, traps, epic, attack. I want a complex deck full of different cards shields, attack, buff, auras something that add a random element so the fight is different each time not just a scripted "use your blade now put the buff on your card now use the attack" the game is moving away from what it so great in the first place the game always played different the fight is never the same but now thats all it is just the same scripted nonsense over and over again I love this game and i will continue to play it no matter what. I hope they get somethings together in the next world we need more gear that raises block to an actually respectable level or we need to do away with critical and block all together we need to do more mundane "cheats" and less nosense of losing half your health because your friend joined you or you wanted to use feint a card in the game that has been there for ages, or punishing you for using blades one of the first things taught in the game was good is now frowned upon in most boss fights anymore game mechanics should not be punished. Difficulty is problem here people the game was meant to be simple fun its not meant to be something like wow that everyone keeps comparing it to it never was that it was a fun relaxing game now its just stressful and tedious then anything else and is starting to just become more and more stagnent for not just me but for most players.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
XxRagingDem0nXx on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:
Do not get me wrong I LOVE the social aspect of this game and do not mind teaming up helping out or in general playing with people when the opportunity presents itself, But i should not be forced into having to wait in front of a team up sigil for almost 30 minutes to get help in something i would much rather have done by myself if i could. Bosses like Darkmoor Malistaire are an exception this is not required game content these bosses do not neccessarily need to be done to progress in the game but do to the ridiculous difficulty of the worlds now trying to play without the best gear possible is just out right suicide in just about all fights.
Out of all your posts, this one hits home most. Darkmoor is supposed to be an OPTIONAL dungeon, but since the gear drops throughout the second and third arcs are virtually zero, it seems that now, the only way to get any kind of decent gear is to farm Darkmoor until you are mind numb.

Gear is one of the major issues that really raises the complaints that we are all now facing. Most of us just want to be able to battle even if we have to do a dungeon a FEW times (not more than 10 runs) to at least get some of the gear. But unfortunately, that isn't possible.

Players want to enjoy the game not grind away like a job. I have soloed a lot of it and yes, I do have friends. I also take breaks which has put me behind most of them but, I also dual box. Even with that, I won't beat myself to frustration trying to do a hardcore dungeon for that gear. Comparable crafted gear would help, but even that doesn't seem to be available. There was a time when every wizard was prepared to enter the next world, but somewhere along the line, KI forgot to teach and equip their students of wizardry.

Up until now, even most cheats could be overcome even if you didn't know about them in advance.

Crit/block are a mess and gear stats are dropping. At some point, I think even those who are hardcore are going to also be having more issues if and when the gear isn't there to be farmed.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2013
So I am one of those players that definitely enjoyed Mirage being harder, but I am certainly not a hardcore player. Though I can see how some people would want it easier. The solution is that Kingsisle need to something that would make both groups happy. My solution would be make an entire realm or instance of Mirage that is harder. Kingsisle has shown that they can make harder instances of things with some of the one shot dungeons adapting to level, or the key fights like krampus. It could work automatically you log into one of the normal or easy realms. Then if you wanted it to be harder you just swap to hard realm. Each realm already has seperate instanes of enemies. I don't know how hard this would actually be to implement, but to me it sounds like the easy solution. Let me know what everyone thinks about this idea.
Timothh Fairytail

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I have soloed a good part of this game; without the best gear. KI doesn't take steps to reduce difficulty lightly. When they see the complaints of the majority of players failing over and over again to progress through the game, that's when they step in to provide an enjoyable yet still challenging experience for that majority of players.
If the hard-core players want that ramped up difficult challenge, there's one answer - use less super gear.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
XxRagingDem0nXx on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:
i have been playing this game for a very long time now maybe a year or so after its release. I love this game very much and have spent countless hours on this game with several different characters deleted and restarted several times. However i consider myself a "hardcore" yet oddly "casual" player of this game. However i do believe that the game has gotten a little bit out of hand with its difficulty gap. celestia was a beautiful world when it came out full of challenge and new mechanics bosses where harder to fight due to their health and slightly increased damage, and that had players rethinking how to play. There were very few bosses who "cheated" and even when they did it was mudane things like getting a free blade for themselves or perhaps a field spell or a free shield even. However the "Cheating" in the newer worlds where when your friend comes to play with you and you get punished because they were one turn to late and you have no choice but to take it because you didn't know they were coming or did not even know this boss had the cheat so thats half of both players health gone, It punishes us for doing exactly what the game is apparently all about to move people "teamwork" and "playing together" cheats where bosses to ridiculous 3 spell combos because you used a game mechanic or a specific card forcing to remake your deck every other fight. I want to play the way i play and forcing me to strip my deck and side deck every time a new fight comes break immersion to the game for me and is getting way to out of hand making it impossible for players like myself to who love to solo and play the game alone to do so.
For me, the biggest issue I have with cheating bosses is the time wasted. I mean you sit there watching spell animations for 3 minutes before you get to even do anything again because everybody has their spells, and then everything triggers a cheat which makes the round last even longer.

That's what was actually fun about Wizard City and most of the beginning worlds. Quick spell animations, no cheats, you were constantly doing something because rounds were fast. Now you spend most of your time just waiting to get to do something again. I actually play other games on a hand held while I'm playing Wizard101 now just to keep me busy doing something while I wait for my next turn in duels.

I agree with the other point you made about the gifted wizard that stands above all else. People are often quick to mention that this game is an MMO, but they forget the RPG part at the end. The role we were given when we arrived in the Spiral is that our destiny is to be the hero of the Spiral, not a member of a group of heroes. That's why every NPC in the game congratulates us on what we did as an individual.

Team play in the story line goes against the entire reason for us being there, if you're going to play your role.

Community Leader
I consider myself a hardcore player, and yes Mirage was tough even for me. However, you have to keep in mind that this is an mMorpg - multiplayer.
The things I would have considered to change were the insane natural attacks by mobs and maybe their pierce, but their health decrease is too much as now I feel we're back in Avalon. Yes, there are still tough bosses all over Mirage, and all you have to do is use Team Up or go to a common area and ask for help. There are lots of people helping if you believe it or not (myself included).

On another note, someone mentioned casual players (6-8) which isn't that likely. First of all the game is rated 10+, but keeping that aside, I doubt that a 6 y/o can find enough interest to make it to Mirage.

Writer and Admin at Final Bastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Cody RavenTamer on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
I consider myself a hardcore player, and yes Mirage was tough even for me. However, you have to keep in mind that this is an mMorpg - multiplayer.
The things I would have considered to change were the insane natural attacks by mobs and maybe their pierce, but their health decrease is too much as now I feel we're back in Avalon. Yes, there are still tough bosses all over Mirage, and all you have to do is use Team Up or go to a common area and ask for help. There are lots of people helping if you believe it or not (myself included).

On another note, someone mentioned casual players (6-8) which isn't that likely. First of all the game is rated 10+, but keeping that aside, I doubt that a 6 y/o can find enough interest to make it to Mirage.

Just because this game is a MMORPG does not mean players have to team up. I do a lot of solo or dual boxing and have a few friends that do the same. There are many who play that prefer to solo and if that is changed and we are forced to run with a team, then I think some will be leaving. We do team up when we need to.

The Natural attacks was one of the main issues some were stating that needed to be changed but KI didn't and only reduced mob health instead. So outside of that, Mirage still poses a big challenge for many who are not equipped to handle it.

More times than not after the first month in a new world, there is a smaller population so the help isn't always readily available.

Casual players doesn't mean just those 6-8. Casual players can be any age. I am a casual player and a grandmother. I don't play hardcore because it isn't relaxing for me. The fun and relaxation many of us have had when we started playing this game is what we want back. No one is asking for easy but it needs to be better balanced with the increase of difficulty. You can't be jumping off cliffs or climbing mountains and enjoy the game.

We all have our own play style and we should not have to change that just because some think we should. I used Team up one time and won't use it again.

Many players are getting tired and frustrated when told to just team up. That is not the way to work or play with others.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
People will complain if the world is too hard. They will complain if the world is too easy. They will complain if the world was nerfed; same goes with battles. People will complain no matter what Kingsisle does because everyone has different playstyle and what battle strategy they use. KI can't make everyone happy. The best KI can do is take the middle ground by adjusting the game without making it too easy or too hard for everyone; and that's not always easy to do. Those who think parts of the game is too easy after it was nerfed , why not make your own difficulty by adjusting your gear and the use of enhancements; downgrade them if you have to or/and pick a team that isn't too strong for your needs.

Community Leader
DragonLady1818 on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Just because this game is a MMORPG does not mean players have to team up. I do a lot of solo or dual boxing and have a few friends that do the same. There are many who play that prefer to solo and if that is changed and we are forced to run with a team, then I think some will be leaving. We do team up when we need to.

The Natural attacks was one of the main issues some were stating that needed to be changed but KI didn't and only reduced mob health instead. So outside of that, Mirage still poses a big challenge for many who are not equipped to handle it.

More times than not after the first month in a new world, there is a smaller population so the help isn't always readily available.

Casual players doesn't mean just those 6-8. Casual players can be any age. I am a casual player and a grandmother. I don't play hardcore because it isn't relaxing for me. The fun and relaxation many of us have had when we started playing this game is what we want back. No one is asking for easy but it needs to be better balanced with the increase of difficulty. You can't be jumping off cliffs or climbing mountains and enjoy the game.

We all have our own play style and we should not have to change that just because some think we should. I used Team up one time and won't use it again.

Many players are getting tired and frustrated when told to just team up. That is not the way to work or play with others.
First of all, I never gave the idea that ALL casual players are 6-8, and yes I prefer to play on my own as well. Most of the time I am quad boxing and helping people all over the Spiral. Also, there are people (even if not many) who use the Team Up Kiosk to help others and get the badges.
Also, I don't see what the big rush is, Casual players don't need to farm for the absolute best gear (and I don't mean DM gear). There are other options out there that don't require long dungeons which casual players might not have time for.
As for Mirage, I stand by my original opinion of reducing the natural attacks and possibly pierce.

Writer and Admin at Final Bastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I'll own up to the comment about players as young as 6-8. Probably that isn't the case in worlds beyond Khyrsalis, but I do recall running into a mother/daughter team in Avalon a few years ago. At the time, the child was grade school aged and only played with her mother. The two were questing together and I often chatted with them over the years. Last time I saw her, she'd reached level 100 and had completed Khrysalis.

So yeah, it may be rare but I did meet a young kid who had quested to a fairly high level with help from an older relative.

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Freshta on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
I'll own up to the comment about players as young as 6-8. Probably that isn't the case in worlds beyond Khyrsalis, but I do recall running into a mother/daughter team in Avalon a few years ago. At the time, the child was grade school aged and only played with her mother. The two were questing together and I often chatted with them over the years. Last time I saw her, she'd reached level 100 and had completed Khrysalis.

So yeah, it may be rare but I did meet a young kid who had quested to a fairly high level with help from an older relative.

Alia Misthaven
I play with my nine-year-old daughter. We started when she was eight. Right now, she's happily questing in Mooshu, while I forged on ahead into Mirage. She mainly likes to fish, manage her outfits and house, garden, and socialize. I can easily see how other children her age would get into the tactical game and progress much further.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Cody RavenTamer on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
First of all, I never gave the idea that ALL casual players are 6-8, and yes I prefer to play on my own as well. Most of the time I am quad boxing and helping people all over the Spiral. Also, there are people (even if not many) who use the Team Up Kiosk to help others and get the badges.
Also, I don't see what the big rush is, Casual players don't need to farm for the absolute best gear (and I don't mean DM gear). There are other options out there that don't require long dungeons which casual players might not have time for.
As for Mirage, I stand by my original opinion of reducing the natural attacks and possibly pierce.
"""Casual players don't need to farm for the absolute best gear (and I don't mean DM gear). There are other options out there that don't require long dungeons which casual players might not have time for. """

Casual players should have access to the best gear just like everyone else. I don't think there should ever be a distinction made as to WHO can or can not acquire the gear. The fact the gear drop rate has been reduced to almost Zero, is on of the problems many face.

For instance, I took my life wizard through Tartarus a couple of days ago with a couple of friends and the gear that was dropped was of no benefit to my wizard . I don't see it worth my time to run it again. If players can't get ONE piece of the best gear with their first run, why go back. The term is BAIT. If you want players to keep coming back, give them a reason to. But don't make it impossible or mind numbing. NO one should have to run those dungeons so many times they become frustrated. No one likes to work or go to school all day then come home and want to relax with a fun game only to feel as if they are back in the daily grind.

No one is asking for easy, but are asking for reasonable.

Yes, there are other options as long as you can pass all the Crafting quests of which some have gone to extremes. Point being that if you don't manage to get the Potent Trap in AZ or other areas that drop them or garden Alligator Pear Trees for the Ultras, then you are out of luck.

As for the Team Up badges, I could care less. I stopped trying to get all the badges a couple of years ago. I have better things to do with my time.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 5, 2017 wrote:

BrynnerOfReign you are right its just sometimes i get angry about thing like these and i don't see the other playes around me who strugle

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
Tylerwildpants on Feb 5, 2017 wrote:
You're spot on BrynnerOfReign! Wizard 101 appeals to a wide range of individuals. Not everyone who plays has the best gear, pets, weapons, or spells; or always know how to approach and defeat every battle, boss, or dungeon before jumping in. Like you, I help other players successfully get through game content, and also share and show them how to obtain or craft better items that will allow them to get through game content easier and faster.
Tylerwildpants you are right i din't stop to consider that some people don't have good pet gear or wands some time i give up on darkmoor because i can't get the one i want when i should relize there are people who never get gear

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
High Five Ghost on Feb 6, 2017 wrote:
There aren't just two groups of players. Splitting everybody up into two groups like that is a gross oversimplification. Yes, I've been guilty of it in the past, but I understand there is a wide variety of tastes in this game that put players in plenty of grey areas instead of just black and white columns. KI used to be pretty good at striking a balance in providing content that could appeal to most players.

There has always been a certain degree of divisiveness in the game, but it has just amplified in the past few years. And like I say, I don't see it just being a casual vs. hardcore thing, because if you take the people who could identify with either label, all of them have played the same game up to this point and more or less enjoyed it. Now all of a sudden it seems like asking to find common ground is the worst thing you can ask someone to do. There is only my way, or the highway.

This issue is much deeper than a simple casual vs. hardcore debate.
High Five Ghost you are right spiting players into to types of people was bad and i forgot that there are many types of players and that i was wrong to just discriminate (i don't know if that was but right word) players into two types and that some people identify as both or don't care and just wanna have fun saying what i said was like saying i don't believe that everyone is different and is there owl respected person as a whole

By the way do you mean high five ghost from regular show nice man i'm a fan two