Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Regarding the new Vanguard and Dragoon boots.

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
The new Vanguard boots have what I believe to be a small error when crafting. Vanguard boots from ANY school can be used in the Dragoon boots recipe. For example, Myth boots can be used to craft any piece of the Vanguard set, even though the recipes state they require Vanguard boots from their own school. I believe this to be a bug.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2009
Survivor
Jul 19, 2018
Not a bug, its like in empyrea part 2 and was confirmed by joel on twitter (Game Designer for ki)

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
frost0777 on Nov 19, 2019 wrote:
Not a bug, its like in empyrea part 2 and was confirmed by joel on twitter (Game Designer for ki)
Hmm, then why does the recipe state that they require boots from their own school? Is THAT a bug? Either way, if it isn't accurate it's going to result in confusion... like it did for me.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2009
Because it's generally a place holder for the crafted equipment requirement.
They have to list something, the game engine (Gamebyro) doesn't allow them to list "any" of school type, it has to be one of the schools, so they put the required equipment to correspond to the school equipment you're trying to craft.

In summary: there's no "any" school in wizard101.
The closest reference would be universal, but if you put that as the requirement, then it would still be just as confusing. So, they put the one that corresponds to the school.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2018
Lookit Light on Nov 19, 2019 wrote:
Hmm, then why does the recipe state that they require boots from their own school? Is THAT a bug? Either way, if it isn't accurate it's going to result in confusion... like it did for me.
like i said, its like empyrea part 2 crafting

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
Another piece of gear nearly impossible to craft. The drop rate for the vanguard gear is so low, I can not imagine trying to do this for seven wizards. I have spend at least 2 hours a day on one boss or the other and NO hat, boots or ring. Very frustrating. One week of farming and nothing. All that runs in my mind is WHY bother, they will put out packs with gear better than this eventually. I farmed Malistaire, Tartarus, and darkmoor for all the gear for my seven wizards and got it, the drop rate was a lot better than the Catacombs. At least in darkmoor after a week of farming you had some of the gear. I am losing interest in this game.
I beg you KI, please increase the drop rate for the Vanguard gear.

Survivor
May 28, 2016
Cat Wildbreeze on Nov 24, 2019 wrote:
Another piece of gear nearly impossible to craft. The drop rate for the vanguard gear is so low, I can not imagine trying to do this for seven wizards. I have spend at least 2 hours a day on one boss or the other and NO hat, boots or ring. Very frustrating. One week of farming and nothing. All that runs in my mind is WHY bother, they will put out packs with gear better than this eventually. I farmed Malistaire, Tartarus, and darkmoor for all the gear for my seven wizards and got it, the drop rate was a lot better than the Catacombs. At least in darkmoor after a week of farming you had some of the gear. I am losing interest in this game.
Agreed, I've spent way too much time farming for the gear.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
It seems to be rather luck based. I got the boots from Viggor's Drake in only a few tries, but I've fought King Detritus enough times to get all the Trash Monster badges and them some and I still don't have the hat. The drop rates need to be at least 25% higher. Enough to make it easier, but still not enough to make it really easy.

Explorer
Mar 31, 2013
Agreed. I’m happy that we have something to do again but I think the desire to farm like this for such little reinforcement has waned. I also don’t want it to be easy but I have been farming every day and have not received anything. Anyone out there having any luck?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
IMPORTANT: The boots are no longer dropped by Viggor's Drake. They are now reportedly dropped by Prince Viggor.