Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

we need another universal resist pet talent

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
since you have taken resist out of all hats and shoes and only have it in robes, which have no damage anymore. please make another resist pet talent or put resist back in hats and shoes and damage in robes again. make them non pvp if you have to but put them back in gear please.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Caitlyn Darkshard on Jan 13, 2021 wrote:
since you have taken resist out of all hats and shoes and only have it in robes, which have no damage anymore. please make another resist pet talent or put resist back in hats and shoes and damage in robes again. make them non pvp if you have to but put them back in gear please.
The problem with that is players can already achieve 99% universal resistance. (I think I read somewhere that players found a way to go past 100%, but I don't know if that is true or not.) If KI were to add Spell-Ward, then players would be able to get 114% universal resist, which is awful for game balance and stat progression.

I do think it could be a good idea to add a new universal resist pet talent once KI overhauls pierce/damage/resist and replaces the stats with something else, but that might not be until the Spring Update.

Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
yes but they took resist out of hats and shoes. and they stopped progressing jade gear past level 100. you can have 100% with that jade gear but have next to no damage.

getting more than 40-45%% resist now with more current gear is almost impossible. to get higher you have to give other things up, like shadow pips and pierce, using the older gear (or basically level 100 gear or less)

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
I've been saying for years that KI could add a stat called 'Armor Pierce Block' that negates Armor piercing only.

That way KI could set arbitrary resistances and piercing on mobs, like 400 armor piercing, and add gear that has, say, 390 armor pierce block, for a net enemy effect of 10 armor piercing, that would essentially force a new PVE meta due to old gear without APB being useless as they would have no resist at all.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
BrahmShadow on Jan 13, 2021 wrote:
The problem with that is players can already achieve 99% universal resistance. (I think I read somewhere that players found a way to go past 100%, but I don't know if that is true or not.) If KI were to add Spell-Ward, then players would be able to get 114% universal resist, which is awful for game balance and stat progression.

I do think it could be a good idea to add a new universal resist pet talent once KI overhauls pierce/damage/resist and replaces the stats with something else, but that might not be until the Spring Update.
I wonder how common this is compared to the total number of players. I don't know ANYONE who does this, even if it is possible. However - if it is a common problem they are trying to address with the re-balancing, I have an idea.

They already have it set so that pet jewels can't be added that duplicate the talent already manifested on the card.

They could do something similar, by setting a max resist limit - and any gear you add (including pets) that would push your stat up above that limit is just negated. Everything else would work, pip, health, damage etc -- but your resist would just be at that limit level.

Possibly they could use the new right click thing that tells you how you're changing your gear set up (I don't know what it's called but where it tells me that by changing my hat I'll gain x and lose x)

That readout could have a red warning "total max resist ____%" showing that they lost x, lost x, gained x, and the new resist had no effect or only partial effect because it would have put them beyond the max resist level.
  • That resist cap could be matched to character level.
  • KI (or whoever) could sell Crown potions that boosted that max for the duration of the battle period (excluding it as always from PVP)
  • Future bosses could have a dynamic set that matched their resist to the players resist or the average resist of a team - we'd be taking a risk by keeping our resist low, but it would weaken the bosses too.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Helenie Nightseer on Jan 18, 2021 wrote:
I wonder how common this is compared to the total number of players. I don't know ANYONE who does this, even if it is possible. However - if it is a common problem they are trying to address with the re-balancing, I have an idea.

They already have it set so that pet jewels can't be added that duplicate the talent already manifested on the card.

They could do something similar, by setting a max resist limit - and any gear you add (including pets) that would push your stat up above that limit is just negated. Everything else would work, pip, health, damage etc -- but your resist would just be at that limit level.

Possibly they could use the new right click thing that tells you how you're changing your gear set up (I don't know what it's called but where it tells me that by changing my hat I'll gain x and lose x)

That readout could have a red warning "total max resist ____%" showing that they lost x, lost x, gained x, and the new resist had no effect or only partial effect because it would have put them beyond the max resist level.
  • KI (or whoever) could sell Crown potions that boosted that max for the duration of the battle period (excluding it as always from PVP)
  • Future bosses could have a dynamic set that matched their resist to the players resist or the average resist of a team - we'd be taking a risk by keeping our resist low, but it would weaken the bosses too.
A resist cap isn't good for game design because it stops stat progression. If a stat reaches a certain point where it can't be raised anymore, then that is just bad design; the problem is even worse if other stats are already like that (as is the case with most of the stats on Wizard101 being % based).

At level 100, players can already achieve over 100% damage, 100% power pip chance, 100% accuracy, (nearly) 100% resist, and a sizable amount of pierce. Literally the only stats KI can raise at this point are health and damage (which is what happened with gear offered past level 100), since neither have any limits preventing their increase. A resist cap would just be a bandaid solution that wouldn't look at the real problem: a % based stat system just doesn't work well in a game where the level cap keeps going up.

I'm expecting the damage, pierce, and resist stats to be converted into ratings sometime this year, which I think that when coupled with limit formulas as was the case with critical and block, KI can have much more freedom in raising resist again. Only then can they release a new universal resist pet talent.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Caitlyn Darkshard on Jan 14, 2021 wrote:
yes but they took resist out of hats and shoes. and they stopped progressing jade gear past level 100. you can have 100% with that jade gear but have next to no damage.

getting more than 40-45%% resist now with more current gear is almost impossible. to get higher you have to give other things up, like shadow pips and pierce, using the older gear (or basically level 100 gear or less)
They stopped adding resistance to most hats, yes, but not shoes. Starting with Polaris the "top tier" equipment dropped by final bosses still has universal resistance on the boots. In addition the same "top tier" robes all give defensive stats including high health and universal resistance. While hats do no longer give universal resistance they do give far greater offensive stats than just about any hat you will find prior to Polaris.

Using equipment as an example (since they are supposed to be well-rounded stat-wise) you can get 16% universal resistance from the Dragoon's Balanced Robe or 15% universal resist from the Virtuous Light Brigade Armor, plus 13% universal resistance from the Dragoon's/Vanguard's Balanced Boots. That's already 28-29% universal resistance from equipment alone, and you can combine that with 10%-17% more universal resistance from a pet for 38-46% universal resistance. And this is with recent equipment from Empyrea and the Catacombs.

If you want anything higher than 45% universal resistance I think it's fair that you would have to start sacrificing other stats for it. I wouldn't mind seeing some newer defense-oriented helmets for players who want to sacrifice offense for defense, though.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
BrahmShadow on Jan 18, 2021 wrote:
A resist cap isn't good for game design because it stops stat progression. If a stat reaches a certain point where it can't be raised anymore, then that is just bad design; the problem is even worse if other stats are already like that (as is the case with most of the stats on Wizard101 being % based).

At level 100, players can already achieve over 100% damage, 100% power pip chance, 100% accuracy, (nearly) 100% resist, and a sizable amount of pierce. Literally the only stats KI can raise at this point are health and damage (which is what happened with gear offered past level 100), since neither have any limits preventing their increase. A resist cap would just be a bandaid solution that wouldn't look at the real problem: a % based stat system just doesn't work well in a game where the level cap keeps going up.

I'm expecting the damage, pierce, and resist stats to be converted into ratings sometime this year, which I think that when coupled with limit formulas as was the case with critical and block, KI can have much more freedom in raising resist again. Only then can they release a new universal resist pet talent.
I don't know anything about game design but I hope that the things I mentioned in brown at the bottom would address your concerns:

"
  • Future bosses could have a dynamic set that matched their resist to the players resist or the average resist of a team - we'd be taking a risk by keeping our resist low, but it would weaken the bosses too. "

They are already rebalancing the game, if these things would work if applied consistently throughout the game, I think it might be useful. There is already a character level-bound max on all stats (in effect.) Because gear and jewels have level requirements - In essence, the problem is that so many variables have been introduced that the makers may not have foreseen some of the combinations players can come up with.

I bet there's a math-wiz out there that can come up with an algorithm that would weigh all the possible stat categories in relation to each other - so that as we chance gear and pets those caps change.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2011
Personally, I don't think there should a higher resist talent. In my opinion a lower one would work far better. So you have spell-defy (5% Universal resist) and spell-proof (10% universal resist). I think a talent that provides 2-3 universal resist would work well. You could call it spell-out or something better. Personally it adds another part of resist without making the game uneven.