Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What Happened to The Critical Rating???

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 05, 2008
I rarely would go out of my way to hop through all the hoops to make a point but this is infuriating.

I for one do not have an amazing critical rating. Its a solid 520 roughly which used to be around 43-45%. As of a few days ago I just arrived in Empyrea to quest and noticed I have dropped in the rate at which I actually get critical hits. Previously after getting the Darkmoor Gear I was hitting criticals rather routinely. Heck even back when the Water Works gear was around I hit some decent criticals until updates started chugging in.

KingIsle I really want to know what is actually going through your minds?? I checked my rating and its dropped to 35%!! It may not seem like a big deal, but there are many of us out here spending numerous hours and days with pets, drops, jewels, and so on to improve our stats and you nerf the critical rating. This has been constant especially with the death school. Cannot tell you how many times my school has been nerfed. Even when the accuracy is at 85% i fizzle more than a pyromancer or a diviner whose accuracy is 75% and 65%.

Please someone explain to me why. Ideally from Kingisle. What is going through your minds and why have I not seen this in the patch notes. Change it back.

Ian TitanFlame Lvl. 128

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I forgot what Kingsisle said a couple years back about critical ratings. I think they lesson the ratings so it's more fair for everyone to enjoy the game. Put yourself in other people shoes; how would you feel if someone in your team ahead of you Critical, Critical, Critical everytime they hit and kill, Would that be fun for you not having a chance to hit even kill?. Maybe you don't mind but who knows how many others may not like that thinking it's not enjoyable and fair. I wouldn't want to fight next to someone who want's to be a godly wizard. It takes the fun out of the game.

Explorer
Jan 11, 2013
Critical Decay has been around since 2016. This isn't a particularly new feature.

Explorer
Jul 05, 2014
As you level, your critical rate goes down to encourage you to get better gear. It's been this way for years I'm pretty sure.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2010
What I can tell you about accuracy from my experience is if you are not at or above 100% for the spell you are activating (Darkmoor spells need more accuracy) then you have a very high chance at fizzling on the first attack spell that gets clicked in any given fight. there seems to be an accuracy suppressor in almost every area of the game and it takes this into account along with your gear stats before it activates the spell. Basically, if you need a spell to activate to save your skin, if accuracy is not at 100% for the activated spell, then expect the spell to fizzle.

As far as critical goes, it gets blocked more and more as you get closer to the end game content. Paradox gear fixes it somewhat but then the catacombs clobbers it all over again. work on getting damage to a better value and get paradox gear to help with critical.

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
Each time you level up and start getting into new worlds, critical rating will go down. It's just the way it is, I'm afraid. Just have to search for the top gear at your level and go with what it gives you.

Survivor
May 26, 2013
This was implemented to make it harder to achieve 100% critical rating... With some of the new gear at 130 people are reaching around 840 critical. This was a balancing update a few years back. If you could get max critical with around only 500-600 critical then people would be able to achieve astronomical levels of damage and pierce without sacrificing critical. It makes it and so if you really want to be good you have to farm for gear... it is not easy, and not too many people can get top level gear. My 130 fire wizard has 175% damage and 98% critical. This took a lot of time, blood, sweat, and tears. The critical drop off update was not a mistake, it was an improvement to the balancing system...

Community Leader
Like some of our fellow wizards mentioned above, this isn't a new feature at all. The more you level up, the more your critical percentage goes down. While this may particularly be tedious, it is for the best or else everyone would get 100% critical at level 90 or something.

This would leave no room for improvement. All that being said, there are solutions to get your critical back up. Some are easy, some are not. However, you should try and see what its like with updated gear.

Patrick at Final Bastion worked really hard to develop these max level guides. I'm linking you the death one, but there are links within to all other schools :)

Max Death Gear Guide: https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/wizard101-best-max-death-gear/

Writer and Admin at Final Bastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP