Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

W101 not opening on Monterey (MacOS)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 22, 2014
I was aware there would likely be compatibility issues when I updated but wanted to give this feedback- the error I get now is about sunsetting Python 2. Following that, W101 stops initializing and disappears. There are no visible windows even though it appears running in the dock.

Administrator
rradix on Jul 16, 2021 wrote:
I was aware there would likely be compatibility issues when I updated but wanted to give this feedback- the error I get now is about sunsetting Python 2. Following that, W101 stops initializing and disappears. There are no visible windows even though it appears running in the dock.
Hi rradix,

Please see the system requirements for which OS runs with the game: https://www.wizard101.com/game/system-requirements

Survivor
Oct 31, 2009
Will there be a patch when test realm comes out to allow the new operating software to be used because I would love to update but I don’t wanna lose time on my membership

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Now that Monterey is no longer Beta, what's the KI timeline for supporting the new OS?

I have not upgraded yet, but I don't foresee waiting months for the game to be supported. If the game isn't soon Monterey compatible, I (and many other players likely) will probably cancel membership.
I hope for more transparency than we saw during the Big Sur upgrade.

KI, do you have a plan for Monterey compatibility?

Survivor
Jan 27, 2014
Updated to MacOS Monterrey. Now can't access Wizard101. Please help.

Survivor
Nov 04, 2013
Running macOS Monterey 12.1 beta. Can confirm game works now

Survivor
Jan 20, 2021
It appears to be very hit and miss I played earlier today for about 30 minutes and haven't been able to play again since it just keeps not loading... when I initially updated the game wouldn't load at all though... don't wanna burn my membership if I'm not able to play.

Survivor
Nov 04, 2013
Try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game, that worked for me. The game is still a bit glitchy, especially with the full screen window

Survivor
Aug 10, 2016
Hi folks can we get that macos Monterey update any time soon by any chance? I even uploaded a bug that happened to me today on reddit. I can open the game on the new m1 max and can play for like 5 minutes tops before it crashes to desktop... You guys recommend using big sur but it is not an option for people like me and I recently purchased 12 months membership, I don't want it to go to waste,

Can we get an estimate on when will you be updating the coding for the m1 macbooks and for Monterey macos?

We may be minorities but I still want to enjoy the game I have been in love with since I was a kid.

Kind regards.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2017
Is wizard101 compatible right now with the monterey update on mac?

Survivor
Mar 21, 2019
Recently updated to macOS Monterey 12.3 Beta 5 and my game no longer works, for those that will be updating to the Developer or Public beta of 12.3 stay away for now, I just paid for membership as well and cant play until the devs patch the game

Just a heads-up the game launcher will fail to open on 12.3 Beta 5

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
Can we have an update on when Wizard101 will be updated to support MacOS Monterey? I can see it's been a very long time since an admin has responded and there is no announcement as to when it will be patched. I love this game and would like to continue playing. Thanks!

Survivor
Dec 23, 2019
Monterey 12.3 will not run W101 due to Python being sunset and Apple unbundling Python from the update. Is there an ETA on when W101 will have an update to accommodate this yet?

Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
I recently got a new imac computer and was excited to play wizard 101 on my new big screen. I downloaded the game it worked perfectly yesterday. My computer updated automatically and now I can't log into the game. It keeps saying Wizard 101 quit unexpectedly. Is there any timeline on when this will be fixed. I just started playing again and feel back in love with playing the game. Could someone please assist??

Survivor
Mar 28, 2014
rradix on Jul 16, 2021 wrote:
I am having this same issue right now (nothing about python but on W101 stopping its initializing and completely closing out) I have not updated my computer either so I am still on Big Sur. Not sure why I am having this problem, it was working a month ago and i haven't changed anything. I have emailed Wizard101 support and codeweavers but nothing has worked yet (I tried completely uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it). I have spent tremendous. amounts of money in Wizard 101 over the years and cannot lose it.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2012
Hello KI,

I am having an issues with the wizard101 app. When I load up the wizard101 app the app shows an error every since I have updated my Mac. The BlurSur Mac OS update requirements no longer works anymore, my computer Mac is not updated to macOS Monterey 12.3 (21E230). The requirments no long work for the new update for my Mac. When will this issue be fixed? I hope that this gets fixed very soon, I have spent a lot of money on this game and it is a waste of money to not be able to play to get my money worth.

Thanks

Nicaushio Y

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Any update about Monterey compatibility? It has been over six months since Monterey was live.