Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Team help debate

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello fellow Wizards,

I would like to hear your opinions about team helping. Specifically when a Wizard (like myself) enters the team help and defeats all the monsters in one shot. This of coarse after making sure all Wizards are in the battle. Which I strongly believe in.

The debate is whether you think it is OK to do so. I have nearly 1000 team helps. Probably by the time this is posted, I will be a Team manager. In doing so I would say that 95% of the Wizards are thankful.

That being said, I have heard on occasion, a Wizard saying "oh your using tempest, not giving others a chance!
What I believe is the faster I help 1 team, the faster I can help another. If everyone in the team help waited for everyone to attack then there would be other Wizards waiting around for help. I also believe that most Wizards that ask for help would rather get on with their quests rather then waiting for each Wizard to get 1 attack.
Some Wizards might say the Kiosk fills up quick. That may be true in Wizard city, but I have helped Wizards in every world. Including places such as Waterworks, Morganthe's chamber, Horizon hold ect... So yes sometimes Wizards are waiting for a while. I feel the quicker the better, faster will lead to more helped in the long run.

Please let me know what you all think.

Mark Dragonleaf L125 (currently 948 teams helped)
Mark Shadowleaf L115

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
There's no need to beat yourself up about this.
Simply shift and adjust up how and when you help.

When I play on my storm, I join the battle circle either first as a tank,
or last just because I can.Then I assist other players, by blading them,
and asking them what they need most.

After a couple of rounds, everyone on the team should have attacked.
Now, I ask if they want faster battles. Most say yes, and when they don't,
I continue assisting them as best as possible.

Here's to you finding and helping appreciative teams welcome your assistance.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
stormkraker on Sep 24, 2018 wrote:
Hello fellow Wizards,

I would like to hear your opinions about team helping. Specifically when a Wizard (like myself) enters the team help and defeats all the monsters in one shot. This of coarse after making sure all Wizards are in the battle. Which I strongly believe in.

The debate is whether you think it is OK to do so. I have nearly 1000 team helps. Probably by the time this is posted, I will be a Team manager. In doing so I would say that 95% of the Wizards are thankful.

That being said, I have heard on occasion, a Wizard saying "oh your using tempest, not giving others a chance!
What I believe is the faster I help 1 team, the faster I can help another. If everyone in the team help waited for everyone to attack then there would be other Wizards waiting around for help. I also believe that most Wizards that ask for help would rather get on with their quests rather then waiting for each Wizard to get 1 attack.
Some Wizards might say the Kiosk fills up quick. That may be true in Wizard city, but I have helped Wizards in every world. Including places such as Waterworks, Morganthe's chamber, Horizon hold ect... So yes sometimes Wizards are waiting for a while. I feel the quicker the better, faster will lead to more helped in the long run.

Mark Shadowleaf L115
Personally I think the way someone helps is entirely up to the person helping and should be appreciated no matter how they get the stranded wizard through their battle/dungeon. When another wizard, who has basically given a shout out to any/all wizards, starts to feel they have power over the player/s who come to assist them and start telling them how to play their wizards it can feel like a kick in the teeth. If they are so capable why are they asking for help in the first place?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are helping. You kill fast but make sure everyone gets all drops and credit. If a wizard is unhappy about this they can choose to do the dungeon again if they want to. Sometimes I think people hit team up as a default instead of as a last resort when they've failed a few times and really need help. If they're using the team up feature as a questing tool instead of a help tool then I can see why they want things to go more slowly and for them to get their chance at killing etc...but what they really need is a questing buddy, not team up.

IDK, maybe it's just the way I play and the way I see the feature. It was introduced to help struggling wizards get help when they were stuck in their questing, instead of quitting or feeling disheartened by defeat. I don't think anyone in that position is going to mind how you choose to help, they'll be grateful you turned up and that they get to complete the quest and keep going on their adventures...I know that's how I'd feel

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 25, 2018 wrote:
Personally I think the way someone helps is entirely up to the person helping and should be appreciated no matter how they get the stranded wizard through their battle/dungeon. When another wizard, who has basically given a shout out to any/all wizards, starts to feel they have power over the player/s who come to assist them and start telling them how to play their wizards it can feel like a kick in the teeth. If they are so capable why are they asking for help in the first place?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are helping. You kill fast but make sure everyone gets all drops and credit. If a wizard is unhappy about this they can choose to do the dungeon again if they want to. Sometimes I think people hit team up as a default instead of as a last resort when they've failed a few times and really need help. If they're using the team up feature as a questing tool instead of a help tool then I can see why they want things to go more slowly and for them to get their chance at killing etc...but what they really need is a questing buddy, not team up.

IDK, maybe it's just the way I play and the way I see the feature. It was introduced to help struggling wizards get help when they were stuck in their questing, instead of quitting or feeling disheartened by defeat. I don't think anyone in that position is going to mind how you choose to help, they'll be grateful you turned up and that they get to complete the quest and keep going on their adventures...I know that's how I'd feel
I thought team up was intended as a questing tool, and to help people find questing buddies, when there is no one around in their realm and area. The Balance Wizard by the kiosk explains it that way. Some people are in team up because they enjoy doing the fights with other wizards. Sure, if people are farming a dungeon for loot, and have done it before, the speed approach is fine, though not desired by all. What the OP describes is doing the fight for the other person. They may be helping a person farm a dungeon as fast as possible, but they are not helping the other person quest the fight and help them be a wizard. I am glad that the OP makes sure the other people are in the battle, otherwise they are just spectators to his dungeon run, watching him get all the loot.

I do want to clarify, if you let the other wizards enter the circle, and you kill the enemy before the other wizards' individual circles light up and they get to select a spell for one round, they are NOT in the fight. They are spectators and get no loot, no XP, and in some situations, they may not even get their quest completed.

I ran into a storm wiz in the B.O.X. who was doing that repeatedly, and there was a lower level wizard in there, who asked for the team up, and it was her first run, her quest, and she got no rewards in there. I was there to try for motes, but he was FAST, I got none. It didn't help, it wasted our time. I'm not sure if he was a greedy troll, or just didn't know we weren't in the fights until we could select a spell.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
stormkraker on Sep 24, 2018 wrote:
Hello fellow Wizards,

Mark Shadowleaf L115
I appreciate your perspective and especially that you are so willing to spend so many hours helping random strangers. Your argument that ending battles faster allows you to help more people is a compelling one. This is especially true when you're helping out in long dungeons.

Also, you're a heavy-hitting school - that means you bring damage to the battle as your best contribution. You want to help, but Storm is not generally known as a "support" school. Therefore, the best way you can help is doing what Storms do best: insta-kill everything!

Like you, I enjoy helping out. I usually go on my Ice but, because she's designed to tank, I enhanced her tanking and support to include healing. My wizard's approach is different than yours: she supplies blades, traps, shields and heals while the one she's helping sets up a hit. Sierra will only do the hit herself if the other wizard asks, or if it's obvious that they're struggling. Different school, therefore different tools and a different approach to helping.

The most important aspect is that you're helping, that you include everyone in the battle and you make sure they get credit. You've added time efficiency, and there's really nothing wrong with that. Honestly, I think what you're doing is fine even though it's quite different from how I help. When I'm in a battle like you describe, I'd be setting up feints or blades on you to help you insta-kill faster.

Alia Misthaven
Sierra Winterbreeze (near 500 teams helped)

Survivor
Jan 04, 2018
I am also storm, so I find myself defeating all enemies in a single attack in some boss fights, as well. Especially when I take a few turns to properly set up my tempest. I think as long as you don't just knock them all out on your first turn, it's fair play. There are advantages and disadvantages to every school, so if some players can't contribute well to a battle, it's okay and that's likely why they joined a team-up match to begin with. Everyone plays with their own strategy, so team play feels bumpy sometimes. Best of luck!

Hannah Stormsong lv64