Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Backlash needs to deal a lot more damage

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 30, 2010
I watched a girl blade herself and attack the next round and her backlash was only 100 some damage when her shadow magic came off.

I thought resist wasn't factored into this awful Shadow Magic backlash?

So a simple blade and an attack lowers it to 100 damage? How is that a fair negative drawback for the team vs shadow magic?

It's not even close.

Even if she hadn't bladed and attacked as I've watched some people not attack or blade during Shrike and they still only take about 300 damage.

Um, yeah that's a fair trade off. 50% pierce and 10% attack for a couple hundred off odd damage, maybe less.

Are you kidding me?!?

There are VERY little drawbacks to using Shadow Magic and it is beyond overpowered.

Please make this Shadow Magic No PVP as it's taken skill and balance out of everything.

I can't believe this magic is allowed and was created for pvp but minions aren't.

Shaodw Magic needs to go back to the drawing board as the testing for it clearly wasn't adequate enough for this outrageous pvp disaster as taken over full swing now.

Please look into this issue as A LOT needs to be changed with the current set up that exists for it now.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 14, 2014 wrote:
I watched a girl blade herself and attack the next round and her backlash was only 100 some damage when her shadow magic came off.

So a simple blade and an attack lowers it to 100 damage? How is that a fair negative drawback for the team vs shadow magic?

It's not even close.

Even if she hadn't bladed and attacked as I've watched some people not attack or blade during Shrike and they still only take about 300 damage.

Um, yeah that's a fair trade off. 50% pierce and 10% attack for a couple hundred off odd damage, maybe less.

Are you kidding me?!?

There are VERY little drawbacks to using Shadow Magic and it is beyond overpowered.

Please make this Shadow Magic No PVP as it's taken skill and balance out of everything.

I can't believe this magic is allowed and was created for pvp but minions aren't.

Shaodw Magic needs to go back to the drawing board as the testing for it clearly wasn't adequate enough for this outrageous pvp disaster as taken over full swing now.

Please look into this issue as A LOT needs to be changed with the current set up that exists for it now.
Shadow magic backlash does -x% of your current health, so instead of an ice getting -10% of his full health, if he has 3,000 health it does 10% of that health. Also, backlash should kill all of the shields, but not take any damage from them (at least shrike backlash).

Wolf Skullslinger

Historian
May 06, 2009

It's not even close.

Are you kidding me?!?

Resistance, modifiers, or anything effect Backlash. From my understanding of your first scenario, the Girl casts Shadow Shrike, which begins with a +30% Backlash (like any other Shadow spell). As you should no doubt know, Shadow Shrike loves offensive themed spells like Traps, Blades, and Damage spells. After casting Shadow Shrike, the girl would cast a blade, which decreases the Backlash 10% (so now it would hit for 20% of your current health). Then she attacks which yet again, decreases Shrike's Backlash down to 10% of her current health (and gains a +10% Pierce Charm). Once the spell wears off, she would take around 100-400 damage.

Did you happen to see if she'd taken any damage? Backlash only takes away a percentage of your current health. If she was somewhere around 1000 health, then yeah 10% of 1000 is 100. So, it took the damage it was suppose to.

The effects of the current Shadow Magic spells are geared to place the Wizard in 1 play still for a short period of time. They give the Wizard a huge boost in power and the Wizard must try to remain in a boundary to avoid taking too much a deadly toll ranging from a minimal 10% Backlash to a whopping 60% (this you already know).

Again, please state that it's Shadow Shrike you really want to be PvP-banned (wow isn't this new after the past 1000 complaints over banning a spell from PvP) and not Shadow Magic, as I've yet to hear once from you that Shadow Sentinel or Shadow Seraph has been of any really consequence to you.

If I may make another suggestion regarding Shadow Shrike, how about in PvP it only pierces for 25% but in PvE remains the same? Or maybe it's Backlash always begins at 40% instead of 30% like the other spells? Or maybe change the -25% incoming heal to -25% of your universal resistance?

Off Topic: I hope you'll realize that where you hated this Shadow Magic change, will this is how some players felt about old-Azteca. You had players complaining and ranting over and over about how hard the challenge was and this and that. Here are will you others posing a very simpler case. I find that rather interesting.

Should enough players voice that Shadow Shrike (the only Shadow spell there apparently is in their eyes) be "nerf" or is a massive problem as you've stated, I wouldn't be surprised if in the update for Khrysalis Part 2, that's what KI did. I also wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing about it for awhile (see Azteca). For now, I doubt they'll ban it from PvP (but I do believe that they might consider it or bring it up in one of their meetings), but will tweek Shadow Shrike (and hopefully Shadow Sentinel and Shadow Seraph) in the next (or next-next) update.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I disagree entirely, Backlash already deals at least 30% of your current health and can only be minimized to 10% of your health. In your supposed situation of merely 100 damage the opponent would have to be sitting at 1000 health if 10% backlash, 500 if 20%, and around 330 if 30%. Shadow magic has numerous drawbacks: Backlash, costs a shadow pip, 3 round duration, negative effect, locks you into a specific play style. It should be allowed in PvP as is with no changes.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
Whatever your resistance or shields make no difference with backlash. As others have said, it depends on your health and how many times they did something to -10 or +10 the backlash. Example, if you make them fizz one round, you will +10% added. Assuming this is round 1, that means they already have 40% backlash. And backlash is factored by their health. So keep doing the math and backlash might actually be your best attack....

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011

It's not even close.

Are you kidding me?!?

It's supposed to be powerful and everyone can use it. I disagree, the backlash is how it's supposed to be.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2012

It's not even close.

Are you kidding me?!?

If you don't take a lot of backlash damage, that means you play smart and know how to lower it with your gameplay. But yes, I rarely see backlash make a difference and it is also impossible for it to kill you.