Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

balance in tournaments

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 19, 2012
You guys still haven't fixed the problem with balance in tournaments. You need to quickly. The problem is that the matches are timed. All balance has to do is wear jade, and stack deck with mana burn, supernova, and dispels. At any point you get to five or more pips, they cast mana burn. If you attack with low level spells, well they wearing jade so it does nothing. They just stack dispels, and mana burn ever three or four rounds. The dispels keep you from being able to use empower or in case they don't get a burn off in time you still can't hit, but they can cast them continuously. If you try to use infallible to you can actually hurt them, they just cast supernova. In a non-timed match, you can get crazy resist and try to heal a lot and run them out of attacks, but in a timed match there really isn't anything you can do to stop it and the decision will always go to them because you haven't had any pips and have just been dispelled, all the while they do the most damage. Its ridiculous. You can't stack your deck just to deal with them either, even if it would work, which it wouldn't in the amount of time you have, you'd get owned if you didn't have to fight a balance.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
As everyone and their brother has complained, it's the Jade gear that needs to be corrected.
Balance is not the real problem, Life is not the other problem, not at all....

To fix this huge problem in PVE but in PVP and Tournaments, we need to have Cap Limits on resist.

80 % resist for anyone but Ice is just a bad idea, it drags on the battle until you run out of Cards.
This should not be the case, you should not have to worry about someone stacking their deck,
and just being a Turtle with that amount of Resist. This is, imo, the only real Problem in PVP right now.

Ice needs that kind of resist against fire and storm because of the huge hits that can be generated.
That is the only school that needs it to any degree.

If KI had made Jade gear a very very rare drop, that would have been fine. I got the full set in
about 10 packs, which was all the Crowns that I had.
IMO, there was no reason to dump Jade Gear on the PVP world, it did nothing but ruin the whole
idea behind going in for a battle. Being a turtle forever is not a battle, it's just a waste of everyone's time.

Does it show skill, does it show a strategy, does it show how clever a person is, knowledge......
The answer is NO to all of those, it's just a quick and easy way to drag out a match to make the
other player flee...... no better way to ruin a game.

Explorer
Jun 30, 2013
This issue is brought up so much on the forums, you probably should just email KingsIsle because bashing on their system is probably something best done in private.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2012
I actually don't think the problem is with resist. I don't have a problem with Jade although I admit it is really hard to deal with. I think the problem is specific to mana burn (and supernova) with Jade in a TIMED tournament. They basically can keep you from attacking, especially if they go first. If they go second it is more fair, because if you attack with five pips and they cast mana the same round you don't take damage. If you go second, and they cast mana burn, you take damage, even though it allows you to still cast your spell.

Survivor
May 19, 2013
mana burn can take away 3 power pips and do damage that means all they have to do i reshuffle and keep using this combo to win in pvp

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Veracity8 on Jul 7, 2013 wrote:
As everyone and their brother has complained, it's the Jade gear that needs to be corrected.

To fix this huge problem in PVE but in PVP and Tournaments, we need to have Cap Limits on resist.

80 % resist for anyone but Ice is just a bad idea, it drags on the battle until you run out of Cards.
This should not be the case, you should not have to worry about someone stacking their deck,
and just being a Turtle with that amount of Resist. This is, imo, the only real Problem in PVP right now.

Ice needs that kind of resist against fire and storm because of the huge hits that can be generated.

If KI had made Jade gear a very very rare drop, that would have been fine. I got the full set in
IMO, there was no reason to dump Jade Gear on the PVP world, it did nothing but ruin the whole
idea behind going in for a battle. Being a turtle forever is not a battle, it's just a waste of everyone's time.

Does it show skill, does it show a strategy, does it show how clever a person is, knowledge......
The answer is NO to all of those, it's just a quick and easy way to drag out a match to make the
I don't really care about Jade in Pvp (I use Jade sometimes so that could be why I guess), but Tournaments would be nice to have a limit.

If we get manage to get to 80%, we should get 80%. ( this coming from an 82%ist).
Really, 80% isn't that hard to hit through. If its the classic ice, its 25,000 damage; trap it up, cast a blade, infallible, shatter, hit.

Yea this one's true.

You are one lucky guy, it took me 11 tries. Remember that with Jade gear you don't have damage accuracy or anything else, so its very limited in its use.

As frustrating as Jade gear usage can be, it is a strategy. Strategy is a high level plan to achieve one or more goals under conditions of uncertainty. Strategy is important because the resources available to attain these goals are usually limited. Strategy is also about attaining and maintaining a position of advantage over opponents through the successive exploitation of known or emergent possibilities rather than committing to any specific fixed plan designed at the outset. Yea I just played the definition card.

You didn't proof read very well. "...Just a quick and easy way to drag out a match..." kind of opposites there.

Mason ShadowwraithJadist

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
rage580313 on Jul 16, 2013 wrote:
mana burn can take away 3 power pips and do damage that means all they have to do i reshuffle and keep using this combo to win in pvp
Have you ever tried being a balance?
Balance is very hard for PvP. You might say mana burn, supernova, mana burn, supernova, but if you think about it, it is not hard to beat us. I tried it, I got beat.
You can't use Mana Burn every round, as it is Five Pips, and, Mana Burn is only for one person, so please think about what you said again

COle Dunerunner

Survivor
Nov 23, 2011
Cole Dunerunner on Jul 17, 2013 wrote:
Have you ever tried being a balance?
Balance is very hard for PvP. You might say mana burn, supernova, mana burn, supernova, but if you think about it, it is not hard to beat us. I tried it, I got beat.
You can't use Mana Burn every round, as it is Five Pips, and, Mana Burn is only for one person, so please think about what you said again

COle Dunerunner
Balance is my best at pvp(other than my myth), it took him 2 days to get to warlord. Supernova does about 1,100(or 2,200 with a critical) through 44 resist, and that's a lot of damage for only 2 pips. Like a small levy that doesn't remove blades but an aura. And Mana Burn is a really good spell, I use it if they have 6 or 7 pips, it'll do about 800-1,000. By the way, if you got bet using Mana Burn every 3 rounds it would have to be with spells of rank 6 or under(how can they use spells over rank 6 if you use remove them every 3 rounds,3rounds=6 power pips at max), not much people keep in a lot of these rank spells(but storm).

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013
Veracity8 on Jul 7, 2013 wrote:

Yes jade is annoying but there are ways to get through it. If you use infab with unstoppable tc you can get 40 pierce right there plus if your a high enough lvl you can use spear which if you use both kinds is another 19 perent add blades and you can do real damage. But of course this set up is a total pain and takes time.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
LesRoo. on Sep 21, 2013 wrote:
Yes jade is annoying but there are ways to get through it. If you use infab with unstoppable tc you can get 40 pierce right there plus if your a high enough lvl you can use spear which if you use both kinds is another 19 perent add blades and you can do real damage. But of course this set up is a total pain and takes time.
And you're a life wizard that is limited to Very small pierce and low attacks?
If your against a balance who will just remove your aura and continue shielding?

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
I see no reason to tank if your a balance (I happen to be one) i just go into tourneys or ranked matches and kill them with my spells with 34 resists to all. It works very well and makes matches short lol i dont see a need for jade gear when you can use gear that makes matches faster rather than longer

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I am a Balance wizard, and I have fought against other Balance wizards.
I wear in-game gear, and I still win against jade turtles.

I use Shatter and Feint. I use Cleanse Charm, Tower, and Infallible. However much immunity you have, I can and will counter it... I do carry Mana Burn, but I'm selective about how I use it: I have better ways to waste 5 pips.

My guess is that you got beaten by a Balance wizard. Your opponents aren't stupid~ you'll have to work hard to outsmart them and, if you aren't using what's available, then you deserve to lose.

-v.
promethean
the one and only awesome sauce-erer