Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Counter Spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 26, 2013
Hello I'm Fullerman37, so I was thinking of a spell that would make this game have a lot more strategy involved, and I thought counters. Each one would be given to a specific class (so myth counters, storm counters, life counters, etc..) It would look and sort of act like a shield by taking off 50% percent of the damage done to you from that class. Then you would immediately attack back by hitting him/her who attacked you for 30% of the damage done to you. I was thinking it would cost maybe 2 or 3 pips, but that's really your choice. Below I drew a sad impression of what it might look like (it would also just hang around your feet like a shield too).

Survivor
Jul 19, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong- so this is how it would work?
Every wizard gets a "counter" card pertaining to their school. It would cost about 3 pips to cast. If you had an ice counter on you, and an ice beetle was cast on you, the counter would subtract 50% of the damage and immeatiatly damage the caster a certain percentage of the original damage. So if the hit was 90 it would only hit 45, and the caster would be hit 45. (If the hit back percentage was also 50%)

To make it so you couldn't just break a balance counter with a balance beetle, I would have the counter be a . I would have the hit/block percentage vary between schools. Ex. of spells below-

Life Counter- 3 pips. - 80% of any attacking life spell and attacks 20% back.
Death Counter- 3 pips. -40% of any attacking death spell and attacks 60% back.
Myth Counter- 3 pips. -60% of any attacking myth spell and attacks 40% back.
Balance Counter- 3 pips. -50% of any attacking balance spell and attacks 50% back.
Storm Counter- 3 pips. -20% of any attacking storm spell and attacks 80% back.
Ice Counter- 3 pips. -65% of any attacking ice spell and attacks 35% back
Fire Counter- 3 pips. -30% of any attacking fire spell and attacks 70% back.

Could counters be bought with training points? Really good idea!

Survivor
May 26, 2013
So if you were hit by a 90 damage attack you would be hit for about 45 damage then hit the original caster about 30 damage back (almost like a backlash) and the is a great idea, I understand where you are coming from, and completely agree with the different varied amounts for each school. I was thinking it might be bought in a later world like zafaria or celestia, so maybe for wizards 55 and up? They should cost training points except for your school counter.

thanks for the very helpful suggestions

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
This seems like a very good idea! I think this would be interesting in game.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2013
Having them in Celestia is a good spot. Ok, I got the numbers now, thanks. Would it look like the Astral spells that circle your feet? Or does it resemble a shield? Here is an idea for the placing

Blades/Weakness/etc.
Counter spell Counter Spell
Shield Trap Shield Trap Shield
Here are your feet/Astral ring thingy

If it resembled an astral spell, I think it might be clear until someone cast that school on it- then it would change to the school's color. Same with shield form. Query- Could you have multiple counters on? Do you think it should be a 2 time use? If someone attacked with a tempest, would the counter hit only the caster, or the whole team? I think if this happened, I would keep my low level cards around to test the counter.

Survivor
May 26, 2013
So the placing idea you had sounds great, there has always been a large area between blades and shields that could definitely be used for something, and when I thought of the idea I was originaly thinking of a shield looking thing though now I'm thinking of a simple triangle, and the tempest question really got me thinking, but if it the whole team I think it might just be too OP. Also I think it should probably be activated only after all the shields, other wise schools like balance or ice might spam elemental/(I think the name is spirit?) or tower shields, then just spam storm or fire.... etc counters making schools like that in pop almost unbeatable while the rest of us storms are just like

Survivor
May 26, 2013
lifedude2002 on Dec 22, 2015 wrote:
This seems like a very good idea! I think this would be interesting in game.
Thanks glad to here it!

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
there are counters in the game, weakness counters blades, shields counter traps, resist counters damage boost, block counters critical in fact the only thing in the game that doesn't have a counter right now is pierce which is why pierce is so op right now.

Survivor
May 26, 2013
Chiaki Minami on Dec 24, 2015 wrote:
there are counters in the game, weakness counters blades, shields counter traps, resist counters damage boost, block counters critical in fact the only thing in the game that doesn't have a counter right now is pierce which is why pierce is so op right now.
Yes I know there are "counters" though I would call them preventions, maybe you didn't read the entire post? Because the counters that I am talking about really have no correlation with anything else in the game, so I wasn't giving an example of a class or "thing" they should add into the game, (by this I mean multiple different spells and ability, hard to explain) but a specific spell set of counters that would be used for as what we talked about earlier in the post.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2013
Fullerman37 on Dec 24, 2015 wrote:
So the placing idea you had sounds great, there has always been a large area between blades and shields that could definitely be used for something, and when I thought of the idea I was originaly thinking of a shield looking thing though now I'm thinking of a simple triangle, and the tempest question really got me thinking, but if it the whole team I think it might just be too OP. Also I think it should probably be activated only after all the shields, other wise schools like balance or ice might spam elemental/(I think the name is spirit?) or tower shields, then just spam storm or fire.... etc counters making schools like that in pop almost unbeatable while the rest of us storms are just like
A few more ideas. Maybe the counters should be where the shields are currently. Perhaps they could be triangular or squares, to make them stick out. Cycle of appearances-

When cast-Triangle or Square, blank except for a mark. When school countering cast- Changes to school color, no more . When used- Shatter
Maybe? I think that if the shields went before, that would change a lot of the strategy. Instead of shielding like crazy, you could just set up a counter. It can be good to have new things, but at the same time, what makes balance special is the blades and shields and traps we cast, so if you didn't need shields so much, that might make some wizards mad. Just thinking. What should the attack look like? Maybe the counter shatters, and those pieces fly up and form that school's flash? Would we need to go on a quest to earn these, or would we just get them? If you had a blade from that school, would it activate? Another thought- Maybe there could be counter blades/shields, that would up the percentage of defense or offense. If you wanted more defenses as a storm wizard, that would be nice, same but in reverse as a life wizard. I think if that spell did happen, it should cost a pip or two, Becaus you basically just changed the spell. Anyways Merry Christmas!

-Rebecca Ashhunter