Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gone for some time.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 31, 2009
I have played wizard101 for many years. I have had friends play wizards with me as well. One friend left the game several years ago and I tried to get them to return but they would just tell me they no longer liked the game. I was then invited to go play a new game with my friend as they had not totally given up gaming. I stayed with Wizards for some time, playing both games. Then one day I saw a picture of a life wizard that's healing out was 150% and I began to ask around where can you get such gear. I was told from packs, only the packs that contain the gear was seasonal and not around anymore.
I could see that the game was giving the best game items to those that had enough crowns to buy packs. Long ago, I spent 250,000 crowns on a pack for a specific drop that never came. I swore off buying packs. So in order to keep up in the game I will have to buy packs when they come in season. I decided to just leave game as it is too much to try and keep up with good gear and items. When the game gets where others have an advantage over you, then its not a level playing field. I began to say the words my friend was saying " I just don't like the game anymore" I continue playing my new game with my friend. This comment is not aimed at any particular player, its not aimed at downgrading the game. This post is to explain why I just do not like the game anymore. All Gear should be sold in Crown shop so ALL have same advantage to get it. Not in packs where those that have Crowns to buy thousands in packs to get the gear benefit. I hope wizards is your game, it was for me many, many, many years before pets and talents and When Malistaire was the end of the game. Was fun back then, now stress replaces that fun.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
2x4 two step on May 21, 2015 wrote:
I have played wizard101 for many years. I have had friends play wizards with me as well. One friend left the game several years ago and I tried to get them to return but they would just tell me they no longer liked the game. I was then invited to go play a new game with my friend as they had not totally given up gaming. I stayed with Wizards for some time, playing both games. Then one day I saw a picture of a life wizard that's healing out was 150% and I began to ask around where can you get such gear. I was told from packs, only the packs that contain the gear was seasonal and not around anymore.
I could see that the game was giving the best game items to those that had enough crowns to buy packs. Long ago, I spent 250,000 crowns on a pack for a specific drop that never came. I swore off buying packs. So in order to keep up in the game I will have to buy packs when they come in season. I decided to just leave game as it is too much to try and keep up with good gear and items. When the game gets where others have an advantage over you, then its not a level playing field. I began to say the words my friend was saying " I just don't like the game anymore" I continue playing my new game with my friend. This comment is not aimed at any particular player, its not aimed at downgrading the game. This post is to explain why I just do not like the game anymore. All Gear should be sold in Crown shop so ALL have same advantage to get it. Not in packs where those that have Crowns to buy thousands in packs to get the gear benefit. I hope wizards is your game, it was for me many, many, many years before pets and talents and When Malistaire was the end of the game. Was fun back then, now stress replaces that fun.
The best gear isn't from packs. It's dropped. And no, all gear should not be available in the Crown shop. The game would be extremely pay to win.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
lewski on May 21, 2015 wrote:
The best gear isn't from packs. It's dropped. And no, all gear should not be available in the Crown shop. The game would be extremely pay to win.
I definitely agree with Lewski. The best gear is dropped. You FARM for it, not buy it. For example, is the level 100 crowns gear better than Darkmoor gear? No. The level 100 crowns gear is worse than WATERWORKS gear, which is for level 60! I advise farming dungeons such as Mount Olympus, Atlantea, Waterworks, and Darkmoor. Good luck, and I hope you come back to the game!

Leesha StarForge, level 75

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Wizard 101 is completely beatable, even soloing with most schools, without ever buying anything from the Crowns Shop. Having the means to buy Crowns items certainly ramps up the odds but it isn't necessary to win. I've found the key to beating most instances is to carry a wide complement of gear. There's nothing that says you have to wear the same items for every battle. And if you happen to be one of those "style conscious" wizards, take a trip to the dye shop so all of those combinations look good. If I'm going up against a strong fire boss then I toss on my fire resist boots. It's basically no different than carrying several decks for different circumstances. And with the relatively new "sets" button you can prep these gear combos in advance so it's just a matter of clicking a button or two. Sure, you can get some really nice gear through the Crown Shop but it's never a guarantee and the odds are tipped against getting exactly what you want on the first try. A majority of the wizards I come in contact with are still using some Waterworks gear well up into the 80s.
I understand your point but I would argue that what you're defining as stress is what comes from a higher level of difficulty. This just requires more strategy, not necessarily new gear. And selling ALL gear in the Crown Shop would eliminate the motivating factor that keeps most people playing... the possibility of getting the great drop. Advancement and, more importantly, achievement are the most satisfying aspects of the game. Simplifying either of those detracts from the overall experience.
It's great to defeat a boss in one or two hits and come out with barely a scratch, but to defeat that same boss in a 45 minute slugfest and emerge victorious with less than 100 health remaining is, at least for me, a heck of a lot more satisfying. And if it happens to be the time you get the item you're specifically farming for in the drop - that's a win-win!