Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question about pvp matchmaking

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 12, 2014
If you are a lvl 5 warlord
Will you get matched with exatled warlords?
or will you find like a player with a level that is near yours.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
DeliciousGloves on Apr 11, 2015 wrote:
If you are a lvl 5 warlord
Will you get matched with exatled warlords?
or will you find like a player with a level that is near yours.
exalted, no; low ranked magus/master wizards, quite possibly.

my pvp wizard is a magus (level 35) captain and rarely, if ever, sees an opponent of her own rank/level. most of my opponents fall into one of the following categories:

1) journeyman/adept warlords
2) lower-ranked (grand)masters

most of my opponents are between levels 46-55; see, when you have a high rank, the game's matching system assumes that you can handle the challenge of a statistically superior opponent.

now, for a less likely scenario:
(this is extremely rare, but it happens)

once, when i was just a sergeant, i had a particularly nasty bout with a level 60 life warlord in full waterworks gear. and, by nasty, i mean that i died in 2 rounds after he criticaled on a centaur. i was only level 20something at the time, so here's hoping you don't end up in that situation.

good luck to you!

-von

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
It is unlikely you will encounter an exalted anything as a Level 5 warlord. At Level 5 Warlord (900 rank), you will likely see Magus (Lev30+) opponents with private rank. If you get up to 1300+, I would wager you will occasionally match against Master (Lev40+) opponents with Sergeant rank.

Why?

Practically speaking, the matching system has been programmed to make a choice on your behalf. The options are
  • "spend a lot of time trying to get an honest, fair match," or
  • "get a match quickly without worrying too much about fairness."

Second Age PvP goes with the second option. The backstory is that Second Age PvP is seeing fewer players than in the First Age, and so developers had to create a way to make sure that players still got matches fast.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
the current Player vs. Player matchmaking is still unfair. the pvp matchmaking should be based on your pvp level not on your wizard level. all of my wizards are over level 90, all are private ranking in pvp, but i still have to go against low level wizards who are at warlord pvp level. this is totally unfair to the low level pvp players. even if you have a high levethat wayl wizard but low level pvp ranking, you should not have to go against a warlord level pvp players. a max of two level pvp higher would be better and more fair. that way your pvp ranking will get better and then you can go against a warlord if you are high enough in your ranking.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2015
I don't like pvp and now I know why I never do it. I have never until recently pvp'd on wizards and I try it for the first time with my lowest level wizard and guess what it pits me against warlords and captains etc who have really high level spells while I am a lowly private who has never pvp before and of course all 4 times I lose like after 2-3 rounds because I don't have rank or any of those high level spells. I try to team up with someone else and same results I get teamed with another private against higher ranking and levels with much more powerful spells than me. What gives? Well I know this blew pvp for me because I will NOT be participating in this anymore because who wants to lose all the time in an unfair fight.