Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shield Piercing acting as a Boost

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 26, 2010
My level 98 fire wizard has a defense of 16 against all spells and an additional 20 resist to life spells. I have noticed that when a mob uses infallible which is supposed to be a pierce of 15, I no longer have any resist to the spell and in fact it says the spell resulted in a boost. I have tried using the infallible against a mob that does not have any natural fire resistance and no shields and I do not get a boost on my spells, so it is not reciprocal.
First the math is obviously wrong: 16-15 should leave me with 1% spell resist and secondly piercing should not boost a spell. Pierce should only pierce resistance to the spell (including shields and auras) not increase the strength of the spell.

Per the November 2011 Update Notes:

Armor Piercing is calculated by reducing the resistance of targeted enemies by the value of the Armor Piercing of the casted spell. For example, a spell cast with 7% Armor Piercing on a target with 90% resistance will have damage calculated by taking 83% of normal damage.

This Armor Piercing value is inclusive of any wards that are present on a target. For example, if a spell has a 20% Armor Piercing value and is cast on a player with a Tower Shield ( 50% Damage Resistance ) then the effective damage is only reduced by 30%.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's not acting as a boost. You cannot pierce past 0 resist. Attacks on wizards by creatures are never boosted. The only bug is on some wizards it says Boost, when in fact it's the same base damage that hits everyone else.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
MyrnaDreamCrafter on Jun 11, 2014 wrote:
My level 98 fire wizard has a defense of 16 against all spells and an additional 20 resist to life spells. I have noticed that when a mob uses infallible which is supposed to be a pierce of 15, I no longer have any resist to the spell and in fact it says the spell resulted in a boost. I have tried using the infallible against a mob that does not have any natural fire resistance and no shields and I do not get a boost on my spells, so it is not reciprocal.
First the math is obviously wrong: 16-15 should leave me with 1% spell resist and secondly piercing should not boost a spell. Pierce should only pierce resistance to the spell (including shields and auras) not increase the strength of the spell.

Per the November 2011 Update Notes:

Armor Piercing is calculated by reducing the resistance of targeted enemies by the value of the Armor Piercing of the casted spell. For example, a spell cast with 7% Armor Piercing on a target with 90% resistance will have damage calculated by taking 83% of normal damage.

This Armor Piercing value is inclusive of any wards that are present on a target. For example, if a spell has a 20% Armor Piercing value and is cast on a player with a Tower Shield ( 50% Damage Resistance ) then the effective damage is only reduced by 30%.
first off they don't give you a damage bost they only let you get past enemies also only way it would give you a boost is with the shadow magic but anyway the resistance you have is bad dude i mean fire can get up to like 80 resistance to all school also like to say if you block with a tower shield and you normal sheilds and more tower blocks then you should be able to block armor piercing but we need it right now because some players have 100 resistance to lots of school like and the only way to get past it is piercing so i say it fine because with all the blocks and and new stuff there making for each class it already hard enough if they lower it they make it a pain on us then the game will turn into who ever got most resistance and most power and who ever hit first

level 100
level 42
level 14

also woo 100 post