Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Player vs Player Tournaments

AuthorMessage
Administrator
If you like Ranked PvP, you're really going to enjoy Tournaments!

Tournaments are an extension of our current Player vs Player system that allows you to match up and compete in duels with other players that will get you special rewards!

How do I play?
If you're level 10 or higher, speak to Diego in Unicorn Way - follow his instructions and he will send you inside the PvP zone. Use the Tournament Pedestal to see what Tournaments are scheduled. To join a Tournament, click the Tournament Name. You can join a Tournament by yourself, or with a group (if you are in a group!)

What happens in a Tournament?
Tournament duels last for a set amount of time depending on the type of Tournament. A 1v1 Tournament lasts for 60-115 minutes. A 2v2 Tournament lasts for 80-135 minutes. A 3v3 and a 4v4 Tournament lasts for 120-175 minutes. Each match is four rounds, and if your match runs out of time, Diego will determine the winner of each round based on how he calculates the remainder of the duel will play out.

Each Tournament will have a set number of opponents to duel. You are not out of the Tournament the first time you are defeated - everyone will play four matches within a tournament!

What can I Win?
Everyone who participates in a Tournament gets a reward! When you compete in a Tournament you have a chance to win exclusive Tournament Prizes such as rare mounts, rare pets and lots of other surprises. The higher you place in the final rankings, the better chance you have at getting a really awesome reward! If you place 1st 2nd or 3rd in a Tournament, you will receive a special Trophy Housing item!

These Tournaments cost Crowns to enter and the rewards will reflect their cost.
Tournaments cost 849 Crowns to enter but Members have a discounted price as a Member benefit. Members only pay 499 Crowns per Tournament.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
I wish I would have thought about this while it was in the test realm stage, but crowns weren't an issue over there so it slipped my mind.

Is there a way to gift a player a tournament entry?

I know some parents don't want to have crowns on their children's accounts or if I have a friend without crowns I would like to enter a tournament with?

Thanks, sorry for the delay in thought process.

Calamity PixieShade, Level 90

Survivor
Jul 05, 2012
Personally, I think the wait is a bit long.
Also the members have barely a 50$ discount... woah..

Although there are very enticing prizes I still believe it's still overpriced.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
First of all as many people have already said, too many crowns KI. Also on a different note, I'm sad that Pet Derby doesn't have a leader board. Please make one KI.

David Titanthief
Level 90

Survivor
Aug 18, 2012
I like going to the arena to fight for fun but people all ways us tc but I am a

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
ok no offense kingsile but I think makin you get into tournaments with crowns is a bad idea. people who bought membersihp wont want to buy crowns to. I was syked to try my power to win tournaments but im never going to buy crowns becouse my parents wont let me and I don't want crowns so can you at least let us get into tournaments for a super high gold price please. please show your answer in the message board i am in(yes or no).

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
troooper222 on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
ok no offense kingsile but I think makin you get into tournaments with crowns is a bad idea. people who bought membersihp wont want to buy crowns to. I was syked to try my power to win tournaments but im never going to buy crowns becouse my parents wont let me and I don't want crowns so can you at least let us get into tournaments for a super high gold price please. please show your answer in the message board i am in(yes or no).
Same here. My parents are just like "Really, you want crowns now?" so yeah ki dont make it crowns to be payed for tournaments

Survivor
Aug 21, 2012
I would like to add a couple of things about tournaments, as I played two 1v1 last night.

First, the cost is definitely a bit high. I don't really like it costing crowns, but I do keep some crowns on my account so I can pay if I choose to. An option to pay with gold would be nice. If it must stay crowns only, and the price stays as is, I won't be doing too many more tournaments mostly due to the cost, but partly due to my other feedback below.

The pairings and rankings are WAY wacked out. I played last night as a level 37 warlord with a rank of 1060. My first two battles of my first tournament I faced a couple of easy privates right around my level, and easily won. This put me ranked 2nd after the first two rounds. The third round I faced the number one ranked player, which was, get this.. a level 52 Warlord with a ~1500 ranking. I put up a fight, but given equal player skill, there is no way a 37 is going to beat a 52. So after the third round I was still ranked 2nd and she 1st, so in the final match we met again. Same outcome, but this time I dropped to 4th in rankings. So, my point is, she and I were clearly the top two in the tournament, but I end up taking 4th because I had to battle her twice and was beat both times. I think the first three rounds should be random round robin, then the final round the pairings are based on rankings (1v2, 3v4 etc). Or the first two rounds could be random round robin, then the final two rounds are seeded and played (1v4, 2v3 then winners play in final round, etc). This is common tournament procedure.

My second tournament was almost the opposite. It was rather filled with warlords and I lost my first round, ended up with a bye, won one, then got a win on a player that dropped out. I only got two battles (which is another issue entirely) and I took 3rd place.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2010
I miss my tournament so I want my money back plz

Survivor
Dec 10, 2011
uh guys I checked the tourney rankings and there's a level 2 in there. I know "level 2 can be awesome at pvp" BUT it says he has 0 wins how can you be on the leaderboard with no wins

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
Same my parents will not let me buy crowns so I can not do tournaments witch all my friends can do so please tell us if you are going to fix this problom. (Yes,no)?

Ryan thunder thief 39

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
I remember a time when PvP was free....and I was actually able to win a match or two

Survivor
Apr 12, 2009
Hey, I was in line for a tournament and i did some lvl up and a few pvp matches to prepare then i looked and my spot was gone..... is there a reason for that? if anyone knows anything on this please let me know

Defender
Jul 03, 2012
How many tickets do you get for winning and losing? How many rank points are given/taken from win/lose?

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
For some reason, my balance character got 2500 tickets, 2 gold trophies, a mega snack, a colossal treasure card, and another treasure card. I think this is a glitch? I started out at about 264 arena tickets and came out at about 2764 tickets.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2012
I think that for tournaments, you have to be atleast a member to enter. Not for crowns. To make it better, just make tournaments for members. that would have been way better. I have a membership, and i am not going to buy crowns right after. My parents were like,'' you already have a membership right? that should be enough for this month.'' So adding a crown fee for tournaments was not smart.

James boomcaster
Level 17

Survivor
Mar 10, 2010
I do not mean to offend you, but it is ridiculous how we have to spend 500 crowns on a tournament. It looks like a ton of fun, but i can't get involved. Also the television ad makes it look like you just go up to the computer and make a wizard under 15 mins. And expect it to be good. It also gives the impression that the tournaments are available to all wizards, when only crown wizards can.

Lucas Trollpants 62

Survivor
Dec 23, 2012
I agree. My parents say paying for my membership is enough. It's a rip-off to be priced 499 crowns or more to be in a tournament. I wanted to be in a tournament to test my best spells. But I only have 15 crowns and I don't want to use anymore of my dad's money for a virtual world. So make those tournaments free!

Survivor
Sep 02, 2012
MEGA MAGIC on Jun 21, 2013 wrote:
I miss my tournament so I want my money back plz
Sorry but it says right when you enter its Non-Refundable
Also Do you lose ranking points in tournaments?

Survivor
Feb 14, 2012
When ever I try to join a tournament, it says "Oops sorry Diego couldn't place you in a bracket"

Now I have a whole bunch of free credit tournament matches!

I've never played a tournament but I really want to!

Alex Battlestaff

Survivor
Feb 14, 2012
phillymon12 on Jun 30, 2013 wrote:
Hey, I was in line for a tournament and i did some lvl up and a few pvp matches to prepare then i looked and my spot was gone..... is there a reason for that? if anyone knows anything on this please let me know
Since you were in the queue for a tournament match and you played a ranked or practice match it cancelled your tournament match.

I'm not really sure that it gave you your money back because that happened to me

Alex Battlestaff lvl 55

Survivor
Sep 27, 2011
"How do I Play?"

Yes please, tell me . I have now been rejected not once, not twice but seven times from tournaments. In a row. This is not just disheartening, this is also a waste of my time. Each time I've waited for more than five hours for absolutely nothing. I've tried all types of tournaments, even those I didn't like (like 4v4) because I was growing desperate and actually wanted to play.
Not to mention, I'm GMT+2 which means I wait from 7pm for the first tourney all the way to midnight. Doing nothing but waiting around for another tournament (when I have a job and shouldn't even been up at those hours anymore).

I only got accepted three times, one being with my lvl 90 wizard. My lvl 12 though, has been rejected ten times (including those seven in a row) and only got in twice.
I understand that maybe not many lvl 10~ join tournaments but that means we have a problem here. Not everyone want to do tourneys with their lvl 90 but it seems to be the only way to get in for sure.

I'm starting to think you should just modify tournaments again and only allow higher levels to get in since low levels are left at the door anyway (it's not just me, I've seen it. Two of my friends tried with me and they've also been rejected several times in a row). Just so we know it's no use trying.

I'm not the type to complain (usually) but really, ten times rejected, seven in a row, waited for hours for nothing. Am I ever gonna be able to use that 'free ticket'? Guess I'll never know, surprise~

(My apologies, I know I sound like a spoiled little brat but I've been disappointed too many times now)

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
Why do they cost crowns? Pvp doesnt cost any crowns. I dont want to spend any more money on crowns, but i want to join tounaments. Please tell me why!

Survivor
Mar 27, 2011
Are the match-ups based on level? Ex. Will a level 20 go against a level 40?

Survivor
Mar 01, 2011
I was wanting to do a tournament since Wizard101 first put tournaments in the game. ( I know it isn't that long but it felt like forever.) I recently bought some crowns and i was so excited to join a tournament. After being rejected not one, not two, but three times, I was very angry. I entered another tournament and I had to wait two hours so I joined a ranked match to pass the time. When I came back and checked the tournament board thing ( or whatever you call it ) I was disappointed to find that apparently, I was not entered in the tournament. Not only did I get rejected AGAIN, I didn't get my crowns back. What a waste of my money! I'm not usually one to complain but I could have at least gotten my crowns back. I hope KI fixes this soon.

Kayla, level 34 Ice wizard