Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there going to be........?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Are there plans to have any new school spells for Grizzleheim? The reason I posted this here in this area is because I have an idea for a spell for ice. Seeing as how Storm gets Windstorm and Death gets Plague and that Ice gets their blade so late in the game that Ice should get a spell like Windstorm and Plague but call is snowfall or hail and then it could give spells like Blizzard more damage. I know that Ice is meant to be low damage and high health but if you see how much more damage Storm does being more powerful as Ice not being able to do the opposite end of its damage. Storm is powerful enough already it really does not need Windstorm BUT Ice can benefit greatly from a spell like that. To me with Windstorm it makes Storm overpowered than it already is and does not seem to balance out the game that much. If Ice could be given a spell like Windstorm than I think that would greatly give Ice more balance.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
Are you taking in to account that Storm and Ice are completely different?
Storm:Worst Health, Best Damage
Ice:Best Health, Worst Damage
Looks balanced to me, and I didn't bring up accuracy, I bring that up Ice comes up better with that too, and your equipment get good defense for ALL schools, storm (specific) stuff doesn't get defense to all schools EVER. You choose Ice deal with your weak attack Ice is NEVER going to get a spell that's base damage is high(compared to other schools) let alone a high AoE, get over it. Storm thrives on power. If Ice gets power like ours all storm wizards might as well quit and make an Ice wizard.

Explorer
Dec 15, 2008
moviebuff3000 wrote:
Are there plans to have any new school spells for Grizzleheim? The reason I posted this here in this area is because I have an idea for a spell for ice. Seeing as how Storm gets Windstorm and Death gets Plague and that Ice gets their blade so late in the game that Ice should get a spell like Windstorm and Plague but call is snowfall or hail and then it could give spells like Blizzard more damage. I know that Ice is meant to be low damage and high health but if you see how much more damage Storm does being more powerful as Ice not being able to do the opposite end of its damage. Storm is powerful enough already it really does not need Windstorm BUT Ice can benefit greatly from a spell like that. To me with Windstorm it makes Storm overpowered than it already is and does not seem to balance out the game that much. If Ice could be given a spell like Windstorm than I think that would greatly give Ice more balance.

i agree, but another bad thing about storm is they have low health and low accuracy with high spells so its not very balanced

Defender
May 15, 2009
moviebuff3000 wrote:
I know that Ice is meant to be low damage and high health but if you see how much more damage Storm does being more powerful as Ice not being able to do the opposite end of its damage. Storm is powerful enough already it really does not need Windstorm ....

One cannot assess a school's "powerfulness" strictly by the damage values on its cards; health and other spells are just as relevant and cannot be dismissed.

Storm's spells do deal higher damage; however, in a one-for-one comparison, Storm cannot cast damage spells as frequently as Ice can for two reasons: higher fizzle rate and lower health requiring more defence or more heal spells to be cast instead of damage.

For an Ice wizard to defeat a Storm wizard, he wouldn't have to deal nearly as much damage due to Storm's low health; contrarily, the Storm wizard would have to deal much more damage to defeat the Ice wizard. This keeps them balanced indeed yet still distinguished as they have their focus on different strengths.

In a team environment, one Storm and one Ice would be more powerful than two Storms; the Ice wizard will be able to take the damage, freeing the Storm wizard to deal damage without being distracted with dying and such.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Ok if you put into effect:

Storm Blade: 30%
Storm Trap: 25%
Windstorm: 20%
Darkwind: 25%

That is 100% more damage that storm does.

Ice Blade: 40%
Ice Trap: 30%
Balefrost: 25%

Ice does 95% damage more damage with the blade, trap and balefrost. Considering Ice does so damage to begin with the extra 95% damage is not really that much more noticable but the extra 100% damage that storm does is noticable. If Ice had a spell that could be like Windstorm to give it that extra kick than it would be great. I am not talking about the accuracy of the spells or whatever but considering that Ice gets its blade so late in the game that Blizzard does not really do that much damage. If Ice got its blade early like Storm does than it would do some good damage but Storm already does really good damage to begin with and it could have waited to 38 to get its blade instead of Ice. People cant say that Storm and Ice are really that balanced until you get Ice blade at 38. I have a level 30 Ice Wizard and already I am cringing to the fact that I have 8 more levels to go until Ice Blade and putting up with the already low damage to begin with. Yeah there is Balefrost but that is only 25% more damage unlike the Ice blade that does 40% more damage. I do the like the fact that Ice gets good shields and great health and higher than Storm accuracy BUT my major complaint is getting the Ice Blade at level 38. There should be a spell that should balance this out better for ice.

Defender
May 28, 2009
If you want more damage for an Ice wizard earlier in the game then just go to the balance tree outside of Krokosphinx in KT. Use two training points to buy Elemental Blade and Elemental Trap. Trust me, these two spells will last you until you are level 38 and can get your Frost Blade.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Actually it is 3 skill points because you have all the traps before the blades and those blades only give 25% more damage. I have a balance wizard and know what I am talking about. Still why to waste skill points on getting things that do dont really need or use from the balance tree? I mean you need to buy the elemental traps and the spirit traps before you can buy the blades, sure buying the elemental traps is good but you waste a point on buying the spirit traps if your secondary is not even a spirit school. To top it off those traps and blades cost one pip each to cast and not zero like the normal schools traps and blades cost.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
I've played both ice and storm, admittedly more ice then storm, however I think may people are suffering from the Grass is greener Syndrome.

I would admittedly love to have a version of windstorm for ice, because in the trio I run with mostly, one life and one death wizard, I'm the only one with an AOE that can deal alot of damage quickly. Nothing against scarecrow, but it takes her awhile to setup for the same damage I do base. However, the fact I'm trying to function both as the tank and the damage dealer doesn't mean it's what ice is meant to do.

Ever school does play differently. People want to hit for the big numbers they see on youtube or from a storm wizard. You don't need to. Fact is, Ice is a tank. We have the highest base health, we get the highest health on our school specfic items, we get what is agreed to be the best shield in the game. We're supposed to be a Glacier. We don't move very fast, but we just keep on going.

Also, if your looking for some damage output. Take death as a secondary. Ghoul and Vampire make great stalling tactics and you'll just grin the first time some poor guy is on the recieving end of all your traps plus Feint. Besides, giving them +30% when your health is through the roof anyways seems almost like taunting them.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
connor29475 wrote:
moviebuff3000 wrote:

i agree, but another bad thing about storm is they have low health and low accuracy with high spells so its not very balanced

I have a friend who made a storm character and hated the fact that he constantly fizzled, even with the accuracy boost. Plus, storm has A LOT less health than the other schools. So while the storm mages are in combat fizzling every three spells the enemy just pummels them with high-pip spells. Personally, I'd much rather play an ice wizard

Defender
May 06, 2009
moviebuff3000 wrote:
Actually it is 3 skill points because you have all the traps before the blades and those blades only give 25% more damage. I have a balance wizard and know what I am talking about. Still why to waste skill points on getting things that do dont really need or use from the balance tree? I mean you need to buy the elemental traps and the spirit traps before you can buy the blades, sure buying the elemental traps is good but you waste a point on buying the spirit traps if your secondary is not even a spirit school. To top it off those traps and blades cost one pip each to cast and not zero like the normal schools traps and blades cost.

Actually that isn't true, you don't have to buy both the spirit and elemental traps, you can just get the ones that you want for your school assuming of course you are of the right level to get them. I know this because both my death wizard and life wizard has the spirit traps, and blades but nothing else from the balance tree.

As to the pip cost, I personally don't mind that, I find that I use them alot on those two characters and frankly loosing 2 pips turns my 6 pip spell into a monster spell that I can easly one shot a mob. (non boss of course).

Oh and the amount they bonus, it is 25% for spirit traps, and 35% for spirit blades.. There is a difference. :)

Anyways to the OP normally I recomend picking up both the balance trap and blades for your appropriate school (elemental in this case), and then picking up death school for it's additional feint. That will really maximize your damage. Although that might be over kill.