Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzle (Fizzling - is that a word?)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
I am a fairly new wizard - 1 wizard a Pyromancer, level 46 - I seem to fizzle frequently, particularly when I am trying to cast a higher damage spell. Am I doing something or not doing something that makes a difference? It also seems to happen a lot more when I am playing with another wizard. It is very frustrating to feel I am not pulling my weight in team playing. The strategy of putting together a deck is still something I haven't sorted out yet and every time I change worlds it takes me a while to get my deck sorted out (although I am not sure I am getting it)

So to make a long story longer - Is there something that can be done to narrow the percentage of fizzling?

Sarai Thundergrove, Master Pyromancer

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
You can obtain accuracy boosts from a pet (fire or sharp shot) or you can get gear that gives you an accuracy boost.
The baseline accuracy for fire is 75%, the second lowest, so you will fizzle often. It only seems like you fizzle more when casting a higher pip spell because many of the spells you cast prior at 100% accurate blades, traps, etc.
There is also a crown wand (level 70ish) that gives a large accuracy boost, called the sidhe staff.
For now look for gear that can boost your accuracy. I know much of the Celestia gear offers accuracy boosts, but I am not sure about lower level gear. And if you are into hatching, you may try to have a pet manifest both sharp and fire shot, which will give you up to a 12% accuracy boost.
Good Luck!
Chris Nightwraith
Transcended Necromancer
WCP

Defender
May 19, 2012
Unfortunately, no, it's not you. It's something they put into the game. Until you get higher level and better accuracy gear, you will continue to fizzle a lot. I do find, however, that crown gear does make it a little better, though up until level 50'ish, it was still pretty bad. I tend to agree with you though, it's frustrating when you group with others and feel like you're not pulling your own weight because of all the fizzles. I think they really need to readjust the fizzle rate for the lower levels.

I haven't gotten my Wintertusk gear yet, to see if my storm's fizzle rate gets even better than with crown gear. I actually kind of stopped playing her for a while as I level my balance and life wizards up, because the fizzle rate was so frustrating. I haven't given up on her yet though.

It's my understanding that fire is almost as bad as storm, if not just as bad. I think, however, the potential of these wizards is probably so much better at higher levels when they can get nearly full accuracy. I know that's what I've been told, and seeing the improvement in her at level 50, I tend to think it's true.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
nathan11288 wrote:
I am a fairly new wizard - 1 wizard a Pyromancer, level 46 - I seem to fizzle frequently, particularly when I am trying to cast a higher damage spell. Am I doing something or not doing something that makes a difference? It also seems to happen a lot more when I am playing with another wizard. It is very frustrating to feel I am not pulling my weight in team playing. The strategy of putting together a deck is still something I haven't sorted out yet and every time I change worlds it takes me a while to get my deck sorted out (although I am not sure I am getting it)

So to make a long story longer - Is there something that can be done to narrow the percentage of fizzling?

Sarai Thundergrove, Master Pyromancer

Hey there~ your base accuracy, or fizzle rate, is dependent on your school. Here they are, in descending (highest accuracy to lowest) order:

Life (90%)
Death/Balance (85%)
Ice/Myth (80%)
Fire (75%)
Storm (70%)

The reason for this is because Fire and Storm can easily outhit the other schools. If any school had high firepower (pun totally intended) AND high base accuracy, that school would be so overpowered that the game would no longer be fun... KI had to balance (again, bad pun intended) things out somehow.

Ways you can decrease your fizzle rate:

As you level up, look for gear with accuracy boosts~ when you hover over the item in the Bazaar, or in your backpack, this will appear as a target/dartboard-looking thing with a percentage beside it.

That said, don't focus solely on accuracy~ if you do that, your other stats will suffer, so look for something that gives you a good balance of stats in all areas.

Since my pyromancer is only level 15, I don't have the experience to suggest anything for you. But I did some digging, and came across this thread:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248577

Here, the poster outlines her thoughts on the best level 45+ gear for Fire wizards. I highly recommend you read up and decide what kind of character (offensive v. defensive) best suits your play-style before choosing your gear~ that plays a huge part in the whole thing, too.

Hope this helps!

El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
You can buy Keen Eyes Treasure Cards or any higher accuracy cards to increase your casting success rate. Harold Argleston the librarian of the Wizard City Library sell them. At higher lvls you will get better gear with accuracy.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Try getting treasure cards that boost your cast rate for now. See if that helps?

Jasmine FireBlade, lvl 80 pyromancer
Jessica SparkleGem, lvl 70 thaumaturge

Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
Thanks everyone! I really, really appreciate that you took time to help me sort this out. I love that about this game community. Anyway - the information was helpful and has clarified for me accuracy rate etc which I wasn't really taking into account.

May Your Magic Take You Far,

Sarai

Defender
Jul 23, 2011
They have taken this into account. If you notice the Waterworks gear stats, storm and fire get accuracy boosts. Other schools get other boosts, so it all equals out at level 60 or so.