Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The problems with PvP

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 02, 2010
First and foremost is the match system for ranked. Example a level 80 can get matched up with any level opponent. Even as low as level 1. Also people can team up with say a level 60 or above at any level. The problem is this creates puppet team who then get paired up with say a pair of 30s when one is legend and other partner is say level 10. Do the level 30s stand a chance? Simple answer is no, at best the 30s have a 1 in 100 chance of winning.

Why do they not stand a chance you may ask? Because from about 55th level on there is good gear with something called Crit and even good solid gear with general resist for all schools. Yes the lower levels do have conviction and other items to help with it. But most of this gear has absolutely lousy stats aside from the general resist and crit block. Making the sacrifice far from worth it.

There is a very simple solution to this problem. Simply limit the match and team up system for ranked based on level. How would this work? Well you simply limit the system to wear all teammates and opponents must be within 10 levels of each other in ranked PvP for the match. Now the 10 I selected for the range could give or take a little. Much more then that though and no matter what ranks are involved, it becomes a total mismatch. Practice PvP would still be free and open to anyone to team up or fight whatever level players they please.

Another issue is the access to extremely high level spells for lower level players. Such as low level players having forest lords or spells like colossal or gargantuan. So how does say a level 10 get a hold of such a treasure card or spell. One for say forest lord is via pets having it. This is not such an issue because these pets only give one. So opponent can simply prep to shield or in some way defend against one and only one big hit. problem comes in with them porting to friends in higher level worlds like Avalon or Zafari and getting higher level treasures with help of friends. Like say garg or colossal which were made no trade to keep low levels from using them in PvP. I promise there a big problem when your in low level PvP and a level 10, 20 or even 30 starts spamming one or to pips hits all boosted by colossal.

Once again there is a simple solution to such issues. Simply put a level limit on use of such high level treasure spells in PvP. Then the only ones using them in PvP would be the levels they were intended for. This would leave low levels free to use one or to high level spells in PvP from items or pets. While keeping them from centering there whole strategy around it.
Now polymorphs are a different matter and should stay as they are and be no PvP period. Since they simply break the whole PvP system in my opinion.

One more issue I have seen is the whole system of points when a player loses connection in team PvP. The current system works for connection loss in theory. Problem is their are players who abuse this by having one player flee or "lose connection" when they are gonna lose. This one player then losses a lot of rank points. As a result though the rest the losing team loses far less then they would had the their teammate stayed. This also cause the winning team to gain far less robbing them of rank points. The problem also occurs in the opposite situation if the teams not playing fairly are gonna win and have one flee so they get more rank points when they win at expense of their teammate

Unfortunately there is no easy solution to this problem. The lesser of two evils I see as a solution is to still have the player who fled or "lost connection" still lose more points but not adjust the points lost and gained for everyone else. Now this sadly is unfair for those playing by the rules who have real life issues come up or connection drops, But it would force players to find teammates willing to play fair.

The final issue is the so called downranking. This is the practice were players purposely lose rank and then rank back up quickly to gain tickets. Why do players do this? Because you gain far more tickets when your gaining ranks then you do for staying at warlord(the top rank).

This issue has been around for a very long time and yet is so simple to fix. All it would take is simply make the extra tickets prize for gaining a new rank on a wizard be a one time only prize. So that once you have gained say the captain rank. Should you later down rank to below caption you would not get the extra bonus tickets for gaining captain rank again. You would only receive the tickets you would normally get for winning a match. For this solution to work the amount of tickets you would get for each match would need to be higher for the higher ranks. Basically this would result in rewarding players for continuing to win at higher ranks, rather then earning more by going up and down drastically in rank.

P.S. When you make more school specific max level gear. Always make sure all schools get general resist not just ice. It not only is unbalanced in general but creates a seriously unfair advantage for ice in PvP. :(

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
shielding can greatly reduce damage on spells, I suggest you try that before asking KI to break pvp. Allowing an unrestricted high level player to fight against a lower level under a lvl spell restriction is broken.

How exactly is creating more disadvantages for a lower level vs high level supposed to help pvp

If a pvp player does not have a subscription or access to resist gear I can see how this would be a problem but I don't see a need for kingsisle to bend for people who do not have a sub.

Playing with a health disadvantage is a choice, a choice that comes with challenges. Now I have no sympathy for a player who chooses to play at half strength and complains about damage, it's kind of funny to read these complaints when they surface.

Nice to read your opinions on ranked pvp but treasure cards are available to everyone of every level making it fair, when you restrict one person over another based on level pvp starts to break.. And then you get more baseless complaints like this one filling the pvp section of the forums.

KI gives you tools to minimize damage (shields, absorbs, weakness) learn how to use them and you'll find these spells become manageable. Dispels cause spells to fail entirely wasting all your opponents pips in the process.

Finally sideboards are a useful strategic part of the main game and pvp, People pay real money to prepare their side deck for the real (not central tournament)pvp. Implementing central rules regarding side deck limitations would be a slap in the face for paying members of W101 that enjoy a system that allows a player under lvl 30 to compete.

So no... I will not and will NEVER accept sanctions on low level players with regards to the sideboard.Tournament restrictions belong in tournaments, Not in ranked. Learn to adapt and change with the game rather than trying to change it.

Explorer
May 02, 2010
travisAk wrote:
shielding can greatly reduce damage on spells, I suggest you try that before asking KI to break pvp. Allowing an unrestricted high level player to fight against a lower level under a lvl spell restriction is broken.

How exactly is creating more disadvantages for a lower level vs high level supposed to help pvp

If a pvp player does not have a subscription or access to resist gear I can see how this would be a problem but I don't see a need for kingsisle to bend for people who do not have a sub.

Playing with a health disadvantage is a choice, a choice that comes with challenges. Now I have no sympathy for a player who chooses to play at half strength and complains about damage, it's kind of funny to read these complaints when they surface.

Nice to read your opinions on ranked pvp but treasure cards are available to everyone of every level making it fair, when you restrict one person over another based on level pvp starts to break.. And then you get more baseless complaints like this one filling the pvp section of the forums.

KI gives you tools to minimize damage (shields, absorbs, weakness) learn how to use them and you'll find these spells become manageable. Dispels cause spells to fail entirely wasting all your opponents pips in the process.

Finally sideboards are a useful strategic part of the main game and pvp, People pay real money to prepare their side deck for the real (not central tournament)pvp. Implementing central rules regarding side deck limitations would be a slap in the face for paying members of W101 that enjoy a system that allows a player under lvl 30 to compete.

So no... I will not and will NEVER accept sanctions on low level players with regards to the sideboard.Tournament restrictions belong in tournaments, Not in ranked. Learn to adapt and change with the game rather than trying to change it.

First off I know my solutions are not perfect. Honestly though I don't think a perfect solution exists. Though as I made clear in my long thought out post, is that the current system is very broken. I have played the pvp quite thoroughly and I do my best to adapt(I do make use of all the cards you mention to help). My suggestion would simply make low levels unable to fight much higher levels in ranked PvP. You could still challenge higher or lower levels all you like in practice with friends or in tournaments.

Many of this tournament style rules you mentioned as disadvantaging lower versus higher levels. Such as level locking certain treasures for PvP will have the negative fact you listed, but it would make it fair for lower levels fighting other low levels. Not every low level has friends who will take them farming in higher worlds(or a sub) and many myself included feel that is going against the integrity of the game. Most obvious being gargantuan and colossus , which were made no trade for what I think is a very obvious reason.

If you really feel so strongly about ranked PvP, then come up with better solutions then me for the obvious problems. Rather then just knocking others attempts to offer solutions. I would love to hear your solutions to the issues, as I am always up for a healthy debate.