Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why there shouldn't be port requests

AuthorMessage
Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I've read a few other threads saying that whenever someone tries to port to you, it would say "This person wants to port to you, accept?". I don't really agree with that idea and here's why.

I don't think it should have something like that because if the person said no, the person who wants to port might have their feelings hurt. They might feel like the person doesn't like them or they don't want to be around them.

It's annoying to have ports when you don't want them, but you could just be hidden to friends or turn off your ports. Imagine what it's like to be the person who ports. How would you feel if you just wanted to hang out with someone and then they just start becoming all angry and telling you to go away?

Caroline Sunbright level 70

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Rihanna12 wrote:
I've read a few other threads saying that whenever someone tries to port to you, it would say "This person wants to port to you, accept?". I don't really agree with that idea and here's why.

I don't think it should have something like that because if the person said no, the person who wants to port might have their feelings hurt. They might feel like the person doesn't like them or they don't want to be around them.

It's annoying to have ports when you don't want them, but you could just be hidden to friends or turn off your ports. Imagine what it's like to be the person who ports. How would you feel if you just wanted to hang out with someone and then they just start becoming all angry and telling you to go away?

i agree

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Frankly, I don't see the problem. Sometimes people want a bit of privacy - be it that they are talking to a friend that they don't want others to overhear the conversation of; beating the stuffing out of a boss that they would really want to try and solo; or running a dungeon with a friend and not being in the mood for a sudden increase of difficulty by the addition of a third person...

Having a "allow person to port?" option would allow us the ease of porting through a dungeon (very useful in places like Kensington Park or Trial of the Stars), with the added relief of not having to worry about random low-level friends porting in because they didn't pay attention to where you were running around.

And, to be honest, if someone really decides how much I like their company based solely on whether or not I let them port to me at a random time... Then those people are not my friends.

There is also, after all, the option of always ASKING the friend why they don't let you port to them. See above if they don't bother asking but merely throw a hissy fit.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Rihanna12 wrote:

Saying and hearing the word "no" is going to happen a lot in your life. If their feelings get hurt, perhaps it's their issue, not yours.
I'm not going to change my settings for every battle/duel I take part in.
I personally think it's a great idea. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been done with a battle only to have someone port...bringing more MOBs. Annoying.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Rihanna12 wrote:

I disagree with what you are saying. Should we not improve the game just because it might upset someone? Personally I believe people's feels will be hurt more with out this. There are too many times to count the times I have seen lower lvls port to celestia or a high lvl world, just to be yell at and called names because they bring in a enemy they can not handle. They are called "noobs" and people say things like "O great a noob has to ruin the fight". So personally I believe port request is need to stop battles from being ruined and save low lvls the harassment they will receive.

Dustin Dragontail level 70 myth

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Respectfully, a Port Request pop up would be the BEST Solution. I've had people port to me when I'm about to start a dungeon, while I'm waiting for another friend who needs the dungeon to port, and had to leave and change realms because they locked up the dungeon space needed for that person.

If they had had a Port Requested pop up then I would have been able to say 'no' and not have had to mess around for fifteen minutes trying to figure out WHY it wouldn't let my friend port when we were trying to help.

So yes, a Port Requested pop up is needed. If they are hurt by being denied a port, it's their problem, not ours. There are very many reasons why you shouldn't allow someone to port, including soloing, chatting with a friend, and just plain busy.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
123jps123 wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:

I disagree with what you are saying. Should we not improve the game just because it might upset someone? Personally I believe people's feels will be hurt more with out this. There are too many times to count the times I have seen lower lvls port to celestia or a high lvl world, just to be yell at and called names because they bring in a enemy they can not handle. They are called "noobs" and people say things like "O great a noob has to ruin the fight". So personally I believe port request is need to stop battles from being ruined and save low lvls the harassment they will receive.

Dustin Dragontail level 70 myth

You could just turn your ports off, and to me it's like knowing if someone's ignoring you.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
grvy123 wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:

i agree

Finally someone who agrees!

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
People I'm not saying there shouldn't be any "no" to porting at all, I'm just saying I don't want there to be "This person wants to port to you, accept?"

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
It makes their feelings even more hurt when they port and you ask them to leave. I think port requests should be an option.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:

No. Rejection is a part of life. Build a bridge and get over it.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
RavenLady777 wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:

Saying and hearing the word "no" is going to happen a lot in your life. If their feelings get hurt, perhaps it's their issue, not yours.
I'm not going to change my settings for every battle/duel I take part in.
I personally think it's a great idea. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been done with a battle only to have someone port...bringing more MOBs. Annoying.

This is not a "someone was mean to me" thread. I'm just sharing my opinion.