Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Worse and Worse

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Necromancy isn't quite what it used to be in PvP.

I vaguely remember when it was able to do well in 1v1, back when reaching Grandmaster was a huge deal, and Wraith and Scarecrow were the best spells in Necromancy. Well, those days are gone.

As demonstrated by a 200 match PvP career, using so many types of deck I don't even want to talk about it, Necromancy just can't reach Warlord in the state it's in (as demonstrated by being sub-private after that career). It's not the players that aren't playing correctly, it's the way Necromancy works.

A Necromancer is the probably the worst mage to use for PvP. It sits in the middle of slow hitting and fast hitting schools, not being able to accomplish much because of all the blades necessary to succesfully hit, sometimes not even getting to hit because of the time it takes for those blades, and even when that does happen, usually only getting to finish off weak opponents with a Scarecrow. Death needs a spell that can hit without all these blades necessary. No, Skeletal dragon doesn't count, due to the existence of Triage.

Then there's the problem of our global spell, Doom and Gloom. It's been almost entirely forgotten in place of infection, which is much better. The way Necromancy is these days, it ends of backfiring more then helping you. Necromancy needs a global spell that boosts attacks normally, like other schools have.

We can't forget about our new spell come Zalfaria, either. For those of you who don't know, it's called Katzenstein's Monster, and it acts basically like a vamped up Wraith. It does 840 health drain damage for nine pips. Nine pips! Wasn't storm doing over that for seven pips and a stun to all enemies at level 48!? May I please request some modifications to this spell so that it's not quite as horrible?

People say that Necromancy's great in 4v4. In my opinion, they're half right. We're great for using all manner of support attacks while the other teammates Tempest and Earthquake the opponent to tears. But, that's really all we're great for. Scarecrow is a good spell, it really heals and really hurts, but it should probably be more powerful. Here's why:

I was doing 2v2 PvP with my friend a week ago. I had loaded up on blades, specifically Dragonblade, treasure Deathblade, and a Spiritblade and used scarecrow. It did a not-bad-for-a-spell-with-gargantuan-added-to-it damage of 1800 or so. But, here's where it really hurts: my friend used a Ra boosted just by a Bladestorm and it did over half the damage of Scarecrow. With the weakest blade in the game, unless you want to count 1 pip supercharge as a blade. That's a bit sad.

Animate shouldn't go unmentioned. It's the best minion spell in the game for PvE, but probably the worst for PvP. All the lower pip minions spam dark sprite, tower shield themselves and not much else. Five-pip minions are a bit difficult to use when it takes a huge time to set up for a Wraith, even though they start getting good at five pips. These lower minions need some more power. You don't see anything cast so much as a skeletal pirate until you hit rank 7, which takes forever to cast.

One more thing: Wintertusk updates. You see the other schools with Shatter, Triage, all that good stuff. What Death gets: a spell that mimics Balanceblade, only hitting you for around 500 damage with Waterworks gear thrown into the equation. 500 damage could easily be the difference between life and death in a PvP match. For a thirty percent blade, that's not so good. Maybe a 40% blade?

If Kingsisle listens to all, or even half of these suggestions, Necromancers will stand a much better chance in PvP.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
then please explain hpw i got my legend necromancer to commander and almost to warlord before i ran out of crowns?

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
Ah, I'm ice, but your absolutely right. Death has some trouble. Triage, is why i asked KI to make a spell called compress, This would let you make a 1020 power skeletal dragon without losing it's effects, we'd both be much happier.
That would really help you guys out by making it much easier for you to do damage. But you guys also have bugile, if your first and your pretty sure your opponent will attack, bugile will stop the attack and your opponent will lose his pips. Lastly, Ice somehow got around they coming last in offence requiring the most attack time, keep trying to find out how death wizards! :D

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
hanable33 wrote:
then please explain hpw i got my legend necromancer to commander and almost to warlord before i ran out of crowns?

And how exactly did you do that? And did you get that way from playing in 1v1? Most of my ideas are centered towards improving Necromancy in 1v1, where it really needs work.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Problems with Death? Really?

Death is one of the best schools in 1v1 PvP!

1st off, when your enemy tries to put weakness on you, especially fire after they efreet, sacrifice is such a great spell!

Or another thing is to use empower or dark pact, not only does it remove weakness, it makes you stronger...

Now, Death has Poison, Skeletal Dragon, and Wraith... Hmmm, pending on how many death shields are up, a good poison or skeletal dragon, followed by a wraith attack sounds ideal!

Death has so many tricks it can use, plus you can use doom and gloom, which prohibits them healing while you heal fully with drain spells...

How is Death having problems in PvP?

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Mimzkat101 wrote:

I vaguely remember when it was able to do well in 1v1, back when reaching Grandmaster was a huge deal, and Wraith and Scarecrow were the best spells in Necromancy. Well, those days are gone.

As demonstrated by a 200 match PvP career, using so many types of deck I don't even want to talk about it, Necromancy just can't reach Warlord in the state it's in (as demonstrated by being sub-private after that career). It's not the players that aren't playing correctly, it's the way Necromancy works.

A Necromancer is the probably the worst mage to use for PvP. It sits in the middle of slow hitting and fast hitting schools, not being able to accomplish much because of all the blades necessary to succesfully hit, sometimes not even getting to hit because of the time it takes for those blades, and even when that does happen, usually only getting to finish off weak opponents with a Scarecrow. Death needs a spell that can hit without all these blades necessary. No, Skeletal dragon doesn't count, due to the existence of Triage.

Then there's the problem of our global spell, Doom and Gloom. It's been almost entirely forgotten in place of infection, which is much better. The way Necromancy is these days, it ends of backfiring more then helping you. Necromancy needs a global spell that boosts attacks normally, like other schools have.

We can't forget about our new spell come Zalfaria, either. For those of you who don't know, it's called Katzenstein's Monster, and it acts basically like a vamped up Wraith. It does 840 health drain damage for nine pips. Nine pips! Wasn't storm doing over that for seven pips and a stun to all enemies at level 48!? May I please request some modifications to this spell so that it's not quite as horrible?

People say that Necromancy's great in 4v4. In my opinion, they're half right. We're great for using all manner of support attacks while the other teammates Tempest and Earthquake the opponent to tears. But, that's really all we're great for. Scarecrow is a good spell, it really heals and really hurts, but it should probably be more powerful. Here's why:

I was doing 2v2 PvP with my friend a week ago. I had loaded up on blades, specifically Dragonblade, treasure Deathblade, and a Spiritblade and used scarecrow. It did a not-bad-for-a-spell-with-gargantuan-added-to-it damage of 1800 or so. But, here's where it really hurts: my friend used a Ra boosted just by a Bladestorm and it did over half the damage of Scarecrow. With the weakest blade in the game, unless you want to count 1 pip supercharge as a blade. That's a bit sad.

Animate shouldn't go unmentioned. It's the best minion spell in the game for PvE, but probably the worst for PvP. All the lower pip minions spam dark sprite, tower shield themselves and not much else. Five-pip minions are a bit difficult to use when it takes a huge time to set up for a Wraith, even though they start getting good at five pips. These lower minions need some more power. You don't see anything cast so much as a skeletal pirate until you hit rank 7, which takes forever to cast.

One more thing: Wintertusk updates. You see the other schools with Shatter, Triage, all that good stuff. What Death gets: a spell that mimics Balanceblade, only hitting you for around 500 damage with Waterworks gear thrown into the equation. 500 damage could easily be the difference between life and death in a PvP match. For a thirty percent blade, that's not so good. Maybe a 40% blade?

If Kingsisle listens to all, or even half of these suggestions, Necromancers will stand a much better chance in PvP.

1. Many Death wizards are warlords
2. Death is equal with Balance and Life for power pips, so you got the slow attacking wrong. 90%+ isn't a bad amount of power pip chance.
3. Blades don't take that long to use, every school uses blades. Death has 40% and what does Balance have? 25. So don't complain about that.
4. Triage isn't a big problem, poison a bit then use Skeletal Dragon-problem solved
5. Complaining about Doom and Gloom? Think about Power Play, Balance doesn't need it anymore, considering that they get power pips every single round at legendary. So, Balance wizards don't even keep that in their deck. Also with Sanctuary, it backfires on life too, using the attack, but their opponent heals huge so they survive, and Life wizards lose. There's a backfire for ALL globals, and you know it.
6. Katzenstein's Monster is NOT weak. Think about it. How much damage boost do Death wizards get? 70% usually. 840+70%, well over a thousand. Plus there's also time for Death Blade. Also, you get healed around 700 with no blades. Nothing bad there. 9 pips isn't hard to get. Start with 4, 3 more rounds of extra blading and trapping. Also, EVERY school gets a 9-pip spell.
7. Storm lord is around 600 not 800, so Katzenstein's Monter is much stronger.
8. About the Wintertusk updates. Dark pact is 300 damage, plus waterworks resist, and also CANNOT critical, and now does Moon damage so you can't use up your blades, but resist still kicks in for some reason. 30% is like a normal Dragonblade. It's a little worse then Dragonblade, but if it was 40%, doom would come to a bunch of other wizards. Here are a bunch of boosts Death wizards get: Deathblade, Dark Pact, Spirit Blade, Spirit Trap, Feint, Death Trap, and Curse. A bunch of boosts available to you. You just choose to not use most of them.
9. Well, it's a little obvious that Ra does more damage then Scarecrow. Do you want a level 58 spell doing lower damage then a level 48 spell? Balance would be sad. The Balance wizard either enchanted it, or hit a critical. You obviously just didn't hit a critical, and the Balance wizard did. Otherwise, if you criticalled, you're under-exagerating. For Ra, if no critical, then over-exagerating. It's not bad, everyone does it. Even I do. But at least you get to heal off the attack.
10. Animate isn't that bad. All minions 'spam' rank 1 or 2 attacks. They can get rid of the shields for you, just like any other. Minions weren't meant for Death, or to be big damage dealers. They're just helpers. Minions are mainly meant for Myth. So that's not really a problem.
11. If KI were to approve with what you've said, then Death would be the dominant school until they make level 80.
Imagine this, Katzenstein's Monster being 7 pips, big damage real fast, big heals fast. If Dark Pact were 40%, that would be equal to Death Blade, which would make Death have way too many boosts. Yes, 10% can make that much of a difference, also since Death gets 70% damage boost, that would be insane damage if they made Dark Pact like that. They made Scarecrow do 400 damage because it's more of a live saver spell. It can do quite a lot of damage, and heal a lot of you're against 4 enemies. If Death got a Death damage boost global AND made Dark Pact 40%, Death would be doing more damage then Storm, and healing more then Life. You get Animate at level 28, of course it doesn't use rank 7 spells! Death would be dominant if Animate minions could use rank 7 spells at any rank, especially for level 28. So in my opinion, Death is fine the way it is. I have a Death wizard so I'm telling you this from experience. My Death wizard deals great damage fast and heals like a Life wizard. Sacrifice is still good at level 60.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Problems with Death? Really?

Death is one of the best schools in 1v1 PvP!

1st off, when your enemy tries to put weakness on you, especially fire after they efreet, sacrifice is such a great spell!

Or another thing is to use empower or dark pact, not only does it remove weakness, it makes you stronger...

Now, Death has Poison, Skeletal Dragon, and Wraith... Hmmm, pending on how many death shields are up, a good poison or skeletal dragon, followed by a wraith attack sounds ideal!

Death has so many tricks it can use, plus you can use doom and gloom, which prohibits them healing while you heal fully with drain spells...

How is Death having problems in PvP?

exactly!

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
Mimzkat101 wrote:
hanable33 wrote:

And how exactly did you do that? And did you get that way from playing in 1v1? Most of my ideas are centered towards improving Necromancy in 1v1, where it really needs work.

1v1 using strategy involving sertain spells that i am not willing to tell ( dont want people using my strategy against me.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
Mimzkat101 wrote:

I actually think that death wizards are pretty good against a lot of types of schools. This is coming from a person with 5 warlords at the moment.( yes i do have a life dont judge me XD). But remember fires had it a lot worse back when it was only grandmasters.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
Mimzkat101 wrote:
It does 840 health drain damage for nine pips. Nine pips! Wasn't storm doing over that for seven pips and a stun to all enemies at level 48!? May I please request some modifications to this spell so that it's not quite as horrible?

I'm sorry but you're incorrect, Storm Lord damage is 690, way lower than 840. Hopefully you revise your post...

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Daviato wrote:
Mimzkat101 wrote:
It does 840 health drain damage for nine pips. Nine pips! Wasn't storm doing over that for seven pips and a stun to all enemies at level 48!? May I please request some modifications to this spell so that it's not quite as horrible?

I'm sorry but you're incorrect, Storm Lord damage is 690, way lower than 840. Hopefully you revise your post...
Agreed, Daviato, you beat me to the punch with that one. And Mimzkat, are you referring to Storm Lord or Dr Von's Monster?

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Mimzkat101 wrote:

Well like yourself I am a death wizard and I am now transcended :P. I have warlord status with actually only battling about 200 battles maybe a little less too lazy to check. But anyways besides the point, death I have to say is an extremely great school for PvP the only people that give me any trouble is ice from time to time and myth. First of all, death was not made to do team battles. The only moves that we have that were ( at least I think ) meant for a team play is beguile, dark pact, plagues ( virulent included ), and empower. Beguile and plagues are kind of obvious and dark pact and empower for the fact that on yourself this would be a very bad idea for in 1v1 but in 2v2 it could be the difference of killing your opponent or not. Death has decent health, decent defense, good power pip chance, above average damage boost, and good accuracy, but low damage. Death is not the type of school that can solely depend on the amount of damage you deliver, it is more about trapping you're opponent and manipulating and predicting their spells in order for your benefit. Ex. 1: Fire vs Death- the fire would most likely use efreet fearing that you would simply triage off its dragon or rain of fire. By timing your blades and attacks correctly this should be an easy battle. As soon as you get that -90% weakness on you use sacrifice ( Sacrifice was not made solely for healing purposes but to remove negative charms and traps while also relieving you of the damage you have taken ) to save time and you begin to blade and quickly wraith. Idk about you but I almost always critical with my death moves so even better cause with a colossal wraith a death blade its already a harsh move. By now your opponent will most likely heal with pixie or continue blading. You bury him in infections to discourage healings and continue spamming colossal poisons and finally when you have him down use doom and gloom for the final trap. This not only makes him desperately search for that wildfire and shield up but also gives you time to blade up and hopefully end the battle soon before he replaces your bubble and heals ( but that also takes quite a waste of some pips so he won't really be attacking you so do not be discouraged if he does save himself ). My point being this school highly depends on strategy not damage and boosts and even other schools have their faults. In pvp a storm could never build up to 9 pips unless who they're battling is obviously not playing well. They're health is so low that the highest you should ever let them go to in pips is storm lord, thats it. Plus, shield spamming really discourages these people greatly since they have no DoT and usually do not have a back up method other than spamming constantly. Ice, as high health as it is it cannot deal adequate damage without the appropriate boosts. They're spells are also made for multiple opponents making it even harder to make them strong and by the time they're fully bladed you should be able to deal an even deadlier attack or at least fortified yourself so that you take minimum damage and begin to blade up while you're opponent is low on pips. I can ramble on describing how each school has their faults and how they use techniques to cover up their "blind spot" but leave holes in their great wall but more to the point : All schools are equal if you look close enough into the situation each having their own strengths and weaknesses.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
joujou11cool wrote:
Mimzkat101 wrote:

1. Many Death wizards are warlords
2. Death is equal with Balance and Life for power pips, so you got the slow attacking wrong. 90%+ isn't a bad amount of power pip chance.
3. Blades don't take that long to use, every school uses blades. Death has 40% and what does Balance have? 25. So don't complain about that.
4. Triage isn't a big problem, poison a bit then use Skeletal Dragon-problem solved
5. Complaining about Doom and Gloom? Think about Power Play, Balance doesn't need it anymore, considering that they get power pips every single round at legendary. So, Balance wizards don't even keep that in their deck. Also with Sanctuary, it backfires on life too, using the attack, but their opponent heals huge so they survive, and Life wizards lose. There's a backfire for ALL globals, and you know it.
6. Katzenstein's Monster is NOT weak. Think about it. How much damage boost do Death wizards get? 70% usually. 840+70%, well over a thousand. Plus there's also time for Death Blade. Also, you get healed around 700 with no blades. Nothing bad there. 9 pips isn't hard to get. Start with 4, 3 more rounds of extra blading and trapping. Also, EVERY school gets a 9-pip spell.
7. Storm lord is around 600 not 800, so Katzenstein's Monter is much stronger.
8. About the Wintertusk updates. Dark pact is 300 damage, plus waterworks resist, and also CANNOT critical, and now does Moon damage so you can't use up your blades, but resist still kicks in for some reason. 30% is like a normal Dragonblade. It's a little worse then Dragonblade, but if it was 40%, doom would come to a bunch of other wizards. Here are a bunch of boosts Death wizards get: Deathblade, Dark Pact, Spirit Blade, Spirit Trap, Feint, Death Trap, and Curse. A bunch of boosts available to you. You just choose to not use most of them.
9. Well, it's a little obvious that Ra does more damage then Scarecrow. Do you want a level 58 spell doing lower damage then a level 48 spell? Balance would be sad. The Balance wizard either enchanted it, or hit a critical. You obviously just didn't hit a critical, and the Balance wizard did. Otherwise, if you criticalled, you're under-exagerating. For Ra, if no critical, then over-exagerating. It's not bad, everyone does it. Even I do. But at least you get to heal off the attack.
10. Animate isn't that bad. All minions 'spam' rank 1 or 2 attacks. They can get rid of the shields for you, just like any other. Minions weren't meant for Death, or to be big damage dealers. They're just helpers. Minions are mainly meant for Myth. So that's not really a problem.
11. If KI were to approve with what you've said, then Death would be the dominant school until they make level 80.
Imagine this, Katzenstein's Monster being 7 pips, big damage real fast, big heals fast. If Dark Pact were 40%, that would be equal to Death Blade, which would make Death have way too many boosts. Yes, 10% can make that much of a difference, also since Death gets 70% damage boost, that would be insane damage if they made Dark Pact like that. They made Scarecrow do 400 damage because it's more of a live saver spell. It can do quite a lot of damage, and heal a lot of you're against 4 enemies. If Death got a Death damage boost global AND made Dark Pact 40%, Death would be doing more damage then Storm, and healing more then Life. You get Animate at level 28, of course it doesn't use rank 7 spells! Death would be dominant if Animate minions could use rank 7 spells at any rank, especially for level 28. So in my opinion, Death is fine the way it is. I have a Death wizard so I'm telling you this from experience. My Death wizard deals great damage fast and heals like a Life wizard. Sacrifice is still good at level 60.

1. death warlords are very rare
2. the higher pip percentage gear steals away block, critical, and resistance
3. balance's is a blade that can be used on any spell, so of course it needs to be weaker. what did you expect?
4. then they triage after the skeletal dragon - problem solved? yeah right
5. doom and gloom is flawless. death doesnt need healing as they steal, so why on earth will they have it backfired?
6. plus there's time to get killed before you attack
7. storm lord is 690 and attacks to all foes plus a stun and for two less pips, katzenstein is stronger by a whopping 130 points to one enemy with a heal swap and a weakness! much stronger? of course
8. no it is not, it is still death damage. my gear damage also counts in as well as any death and multipourpse blades and traps on me, so i take about 700 damage for a little stronger balanceblade? no thank you!
9. ra is powerful in raw damage, scarecrow is weak for swapping. again, what did you expect?
10. minions at that low rank will also consume feint and other multipourpse traps and death traps before you spring into action.
11. is that even possible?
imagine this, a lame one attacker for 7 pips, getting attacked while bladeing real fast, weakening yourself by dark pact, getting your attack blocked by shields, so is the damage still insane? you seem like you dont even have a necromancer by "experience". soul crusher, risen tomb master, and death incarnate can use scarecrow, but they take almost a full line of power pips to summon.