Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unable to interact with envrionment

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
For whatever reason, (my ISP says its a problem on my side and continually gives me the run-around) my internet periodically loses connection for about a minute at a time, at least 3 times every hour. This has been happening for over a year now, and I've replaced everything possible on my end. My ISP is still no help.

So with no fix to my problem in sight, I'm bringing up the issue as it pertains to my gaming experience with Wizard101.

Upon re-establishing the connection, the Wizard101 load screen appears, and shortly after I'm loaded back in to whatever scenario/situation I was in before the loss of connection.

The real problem this creates is not the fact that I miss out on 2-3 rounds of a duel, but of what happens to the game after I finish said duel. Now, I am suddenly unable to press 'x' or 'click here' to interact with anything. Levers, NPCs, reagents, you name it. The text box doesn't even appear at the bottom of the screen.

The only way to fix this is to log out and back in. Fine.
But for example, I am in the middle of soloing Tomb of the Beguiler. Now I can't interact with Jah'mes to start the teleporter, and I have to restart the ENTIRE dungeon. The same thing has happened to me in the vault of ice, sunken city, and the palace of fire.

I usually repeat dungeons 3-4 times before I'm finally able to reach the final boss in time before the next wave of connection-loss hits me.

Is there nothing KI can do to fix this? Not my internet connection issues, obviously, but upon reconnecting I'd like the game to still think I'm there. Because I know I am.

So far this interaction bug only occurs when my connection loss happens mid-duel.

Please help... needless to say it is very frustrating to spend 1-2 hours making it to the end of a dungeon, just to be forced to start from scratch. Again, and again, and again, and again.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
You can set a teleport mark inside the Tomb of the Beguiler (and most other dungeons and instances) and then go back when your connection returns, as long as you're not gone for more than about 15 minutes (possibly longer, depending on the instance).

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
This answer is much appreciated...but i do have one follow up question:

As I'm the only one in the instance, even walking out gives me the reset warning upon exiting, not mentioning anything about the short grace period to return.

Is this different after I've set a marker down? I'd assume so, but before I go through this nonsense once more I figure better safe, than sorry.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
classact21 wrote:
For whatever reason, (my ISP says its a problem on my side and continually gives me the run-around) my internet periodically loses connection for about a minute at a time, at least 3 times every hour. This has been happening for over a year now, and I've replaced everything possible on my end. My ISP is still no help.

Dude, the solution is to fix your connection problem.

Ask yourself these questions:
Have you tried playing with a different computer?
If you connect your computer from a different location does it still drop connection?
Does the connection drop when you are doing something other than playing Wizard101?
What type of connection do you have and what are the points of failure for each? DSL? Cable? Aircard?

I am not really asking for you to reply to these questions here, but just offering ways to think about or troubleshoot.

If you determine the problem is with your computer/equipment then fix it.
If the problem is with your ISP then "fire" them and take your business somewhere else.

I had a recurring problem last year with Bellsouth/AT&T and they insisted that the problem was with my computer. Well, I have 2 computers and a laptop (and the laptop works fine at my work). Long story short I finally told them fix it this week or I am closing my account - a repairman finally came to my house and after spending 3 hours at my house went down the road to the telephone pole where he discovered that the equipment on the pole was faulty. My connection has been working great since.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
hp1055cm wrote:

Dude, the solution is to fix your connection problem.

Ask yourself these questions:
Have you tried playing with a different computer?
If you connect your computer from a different location does it still drop connection?
Does the connection drop when you are doing something other than playing Wizard101?
What type of connection do you have and what are the points of failure for each? DSL? Cable? Aircard?

I am not really asking for you to reply to these questions here, but just offering ways to think about or troubleshoot.

If you determine the problem is with your computer/equipment then fix it.
If the problem is with your ISP then "fire" them and take your business somewhere else.

I have had the same problem for over a year now using multiple computers, some PC and some Mac. As I stated already, I have replaced everything on my end. This means that it is not a single computers fault, nor my equipment.

Whether I am connected via my wi-fi, or plugged in via ethernet straight to my modem, the problem persists. The strange thing is, is that my connection status never shows a change. Not even a "Low or limited connectivity" bubble. As far as my computer is concerned everything is just peachy.

The connection drops whether I am on w101 or not, although it occurs more frequently when i am logged in. Same thing when I played WoW on my macbook.

I'm probably just going to get a new ISP