Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

An Easy Way to Find Yourself Defeated

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Do not-- I repeat DO NOT-- ask me more than once to heal you. I curse the day KI added "I need healing" to the menu chat because it gets really old really fast. This is especially prevalent in the lower worlds; I'll be fighting with a person (text chat-able or not) and the millisecond they die it's like a broken record:

"I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing. I need healing..."

They'll do that until someone finally heals them. I'm standing there thinking, "If this monster doesn't finish [him/her] off, I will." It's really frustrating with the menu chatters because I can't even tell them that I heard them the first 32839210472389037213 times!

Patience is a virtue. Learn it, or face defeat!

Champion
May 03, 2011
Patience is a virtue, indeed. When dealing with children, it's essential. And most if not all of these menu-chatters who needlessly (and yes, irritatingly) reiterate their needs are children. Like under 10. They are used to asking for help when they are hurt. And the boundary between real hurts and virtual ones may be kind of blurry to them. I find this annoying also, but mostly I am irritated at the chat options. I would love it if there were a phrase like "I'm sorry, I can't heal you," or "I don't have any healing spells."

I also think it would be nice if KI could come up with a mini-tutorial for menu-chatters with some simple suggestions about decorum. Including, if possible, the futility of merely repeating something ad infinitum, such as "I need healing." But lacking that, I counsel patience. They're just kids.

Btw. I have never had a text chat person repeat "I need healing." Mostly they ask if you can heal, and if you can't they just deal with it. It has been, for me, exclusively a menu chat issue.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I know what you mean about the repeated request for healing. It can be annoying. And just yesterday, I was withsomeone who said "I need healing" and I replied from menu chat with "OK". And on the very next round, I got a sarcastic "So where's my healing". Sorry to say that I had already selected a healing card, and didn't have time to "change" it, or I would have definitely let that person get defeated without any hesitation.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
Patience is a virtue, indeed. When dealing with children, it's essential. And most if not all of these menu-chatters who needlessly (and yes, irritatingly) reiterate their needs are children. Like under 10. They are used to asking for help when they are hurt. And the boundary between real hurts and virtual ones may be kind of blurry to them. I find this annoying also, but mostly I am irritated at the chat options. I would love it if there were a phrase like "I'm sorry, I can't heal you," or "I don't have any healing spells."

I also think it would be nice if KI could come up with a mini-tutorial for menu-chatters with some simple suggestions about decorum. Including, if possible, the futility of merely repeating something ad infinitum, such as "I need healing." But lacking that, I counsel patience. They're just kids.

Btw. I have never had a text chat person repeat "I need healing." Mostly they ask if you can heal, and if you can't they just deal with it. It has been, for me, exclusively a menu chat issue.

That's what kinda annoys me about the game. As far as I know it's rated E10+, and I think that should be stressed. However, parents have their children way under 10 playing the game, which is just unacceptable to me. I have very little patience for this kind of immaturity (ironic I know), which is why I tend to rush through the lower worlds. I do agree with you though; I think a menu chat mini-tutorial would help. I don't have my menu chat on screen since it's such a task to find specific lines, so adding "sorry, I can't heal you" wouldn't really help for me. What would be amazing would be the ability to let menu chatters see what you've said if it's close to a line that's in menu chat.

I've seen text chatters use this all the time, but usually they're the ones that are loud and belligerent towards the NPC villains.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
Do y'all seriously believe that it is children 10 and under that does that? Teenagers have the capacity to be that annoying too, ya know...usually with colorful metaphors.

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Eh, the annoying one will keep asking, even if you have a "Sorry I can't heal you" option. They are just being snide anyway. My son is an ice type. Zero heal spells. He got one of the "I need Healing" messages whispered to him! He wasn't even in battle with the other person. So he replied "Sorry, I can't", which is in the menu chat outside of battle, and the other person just kept asking anyway. So sometimes, pests will be pests, no matter what is in the options and if they truly annoy you, you can left click their name in your message window and choose to ignore them.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Muisak wrote:
Do y'all seriously believe that it is children 10 and under that does that? Teenagers have the capacity to be that annoying too, ya know...usually with colorful metaphors.

True.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Survivor
Jun 29, 2011
I agree it isn't just 10 year olds and under When i first started I used to do it too (and i am Near close to 20) It is a experience thing. I stopped when it started happening to me and i realized (Epiphany if you will) How Utterly annoying it was. I agree a menu chat phrase like "Sorry I cant heal you." or "I heard you the first time" or "Please stop repeating yourself" or simply "Be patient" Would be some of the most useful phrases they could possibly add to the game!

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
i am legendary(lvl60) and i go into helephant tower someone dies they have text chat and the say well lets gues

a i need healing
b i need healing
c i need helaing
d i need healing
its rare in higher lvl though all the way through mooshu until i was lvl 40 all i heard is i need healing

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
colagada wrote:
The spammer can be put on ignore.

Man that is so very true! I never thought of it when I needed it. I have turned off my text bubbles and half the time forget to put up my chat box. ROTFL So if you run into a "rude" Theurgist named Megan Frostriver, please forgive me. It just means I forgot again.

Akihiro- IT is such a pet peeve of mine when people do this or tell me what cast. I have to restrain the wise-cracker in me and the sarcastic remarks that are on the tip of my tongue.

Megan.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2011
Just jumping in with my two cents here.

First I know its annoying and I love the added chat verses suggested because as a necro I dont use sacrifice in my deck or Pixie for example so I cant heal them I just cant even if I wanted too and yet I cannot respond to them other than to say "No" and truthfully that feels mean even when Im thinking "if you ask me again I am going to pull my hair out". So KI please take notice of the chat verses we need it!

Second, you cannot truly believe it is only kids let alone smaller kids doing this? rofl. Really? That made me seriously laugh hard. I have met so called adults in this game whom my second and fourth grader could out manner and out smart. Age is not the factor whinniness and dependecy is and you can find that in a toddler and a business man.

Third, as a mom who allows her kids to play (mostly on easy mobs and pet training) and who's kids are of elementary age I take offense to the "who would let their kid play under 10" comment. If we expect our kids to judge people one by one on who and how they are shouldnt we set that example as well from the get go? Not to mention in the year 2011 disallowing technology from a child even gaming is actually doing more harm than good these kids and future generations are and will continue to be immersed and dependent upon it so they might as well grip it now to use it later for a better life. I grew up in the generation where parents thought Kiss and Pong were the devil so funny now!

I dont think age is a factor at all! If my son can handle taking down Lord Nightshade why shoudlnt I let him? If a stranger joins him for a fight his life lessons thus far kick in - ie manners, pay attention, say thank you - if I allow chat on at all - It certainly is not the kids fault if they are lacking in decency - that would be the parents fault! Playing this makes him feel accomplished, happy and smart. I get a kick out of him saying "Mama I got a hat and spider web!" I mean he really thinks he did something special and big.

I limit their game time to one hour after homework and they both play sports so they get out. In other words in the end isnt a childs happiness what the goal is? Or would you rather me raise a resentful child who sneaks to play therefore learning how to lie and manipulate and grows into one of the inappropriate citizens we seem to breed by the handfuls?

Lastly, the suggestions are what KI needs not the whining. Truly whining about whiners is well frankly being just like them isnt it?

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
I agree with everyone that some additional phrases would be nice to politely notify other players that :
1) healing is or is not possible
2) need pips
3) don't have the cards

I try to type out the long sentences telling my teammates whether or not I can heal them since I'm ice/fire/life. But sometimes it just takes too long. I do agree that it is normal for people of all ages to ask to be healed during a battle. I think that's part of team playing. About a third of my deck is healing. One to keep myself healed and two to heal my teammates. Maybe I've just always believed that a good offense is a solid defense. However, it is just not acceptable for other players to become rude if you just can't heal them because you don't have the cards in your had or your deck. They should be self-sufficient enough and know the risk prior to jumping into a battle. Even though a good majority of these are kids playing, they know more about fighting these battles than most adults having been exposed to this type of culture and gameplay since early childhood via the media.

Jenna Dragonsong

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
solution is easy add them if you can then put them on ignore and never look in there again.

no friend no pesky request
and they will report you but
K I will see its a false report
and they will have a problem to deal with

Champion
May 03, 2011
Second, you cannot truly believe it is only kids let alone smaller kids doing this? rofl. Really? That made me seriously laugh hard.

Not sure why this was such a source of amusement. I assume the laughter was mocking my naivete. Perhaps that's justified. My own 10-year-old would never do this, so I suppose I am idealistically assuming that other kids of comparable age have been brought up similarly. But the primary reason I assume these are kids is that--as I said--in my experience it's only menu-chatters who do it. I have never had a text chat person reiterate "I need healing" ad nauseum. Because of course I can respond to these people, stating plainly that I can't heal. My assumption, and forgive me if it's not accurate, is that most if not all the people who have menu chat are kids. But hey, I'm happy to give you a good laugh. People on public forums (not just this one) are too serious by half, it seems to me. :-)

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
Well you got a point especially if you decided to get a legendary wizard thats you know Life!!! Oh great my second legend is a balance you know, the one with helping and availing hands!!!

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Perhaps, instead of adding more chat options, it would be easier to rephrase the current ones to be properly answerable with a "yes" or "no". Instead of "i need healing", it could be "do you have any healing spells?" or something similar. -etherchaos

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
I would love it if there were a phrase like "I'm sorry, I can't heal you," or "I don't have any healing spells."

I just want KI to give us some realms that menu chatters can not go to so that those of us that don't want to have to deal with them at certain times can escape them for a while.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
I would love it if there were a phrase like "I'm sorry, I can't heal you," or "I don't have any healing spells."

There may not be a "I'm sorry, I can't heal you." menu chat option...
but there is a "I'm sorry, I can't." option that even children 10 and under will be able to understand is an answer to their question/spam.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Actually, almost two years ago I requested KI add several healer-helping items to the Chat menu, and they did add them.

One of them is something like "Don't worry, I'm watching your Health", and another was "Do not flee -- I can heal you".

I run a lot with the kiddies as a healer, helping them get through some of the slightly more kid-frustrating elements of the game, but when they are on Menu-only, additional communication options were needed. I asked, KI provided.

I find that the "I'm watching your Health" one usually quiets them down. Especially if I really do my job and keep them alive. Since that one went in I've only had one kid who kept with "I need healing/I need healing/I need healing" so I responded with "Yes/OK/Yes/OK/Yes/OK" in rapid succession. I got back one LOL and then he quit asking.

It's been my experience that the kids with snotty responses like the "So where's my healing" fall into one of two categories; either they haven't got their head wrapped around the concept of communication lag time, or they're just brats. It's easy to jump to the second conclusion, but I find most of the time it's just age-appropriate lack of experience.

A true brat gets ignored. There's no real direct way to apply the Life Lesson for those kids in this game, so the indirect lesson will simply have to do. :-)

Anyway, see if you can find the "I'm watching your Health" one in the Menu -- very useful, and the actual transmission is more clear than the menu entry suggests. You may find it improves your patience level with the kids, and let's face it, though we adults like this game too, and spend more money on it for KI, the primary market for this game was the kiddos.

Patience, Obi-Wan. Patience.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life School

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
Stephen I wasn't aware of that option on the menu. I've had open chat since I joined so I rarely use the menu option. i will definitely look more closely at the options the next time this situation occurs. Thank you for pointing that out! :D

Jenna Dragonsong

Defender
May 31, 2011
Bewitchdgal wrote:

Second, you cannot truly believe it is only kids let alone smaller kids doing this? rofl. Really? That made me seriously laugh hard. I have met so called adults in this game whom my second and fourth grader could out manner and out smart. Age is not the factor whinniness and dependecy is and you can find that in a toddler and a business man.?

So so so very true!

And this goes for many other immature behavior!

Defender
May 31, 2011
etherchaos wrote:
Perhaps, instead of adding more chat options, it would be easier to rephrase the current ones to be properly answerable with a "yes" or "no". Instead of "i need healing", it could be "do you have any healing spells?" or something similar. -etherchaos

This suggestion is a good won. One can easily see if another player needs healing, they really do not need to be told. And this can be easily answered

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
Oh my gosh I know! :Pwhen i was like level twenty or something everybody would repeately go: i need healing i need healing i need healing i need healing i need healing i need healing i need healing i need healing i need healing. BUT, the li'l guys just have to learn the ways.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Bewitchdgal wrote:

Lastly, the suggestions are what KI needs not the whining. Truly whining about whiners is well frankly being just like them isnt it?

Thank you for this. I'd have quoted your entire post, but I fear people might miss this message. Here it is loud and clear.