Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Direct Chat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
So I'm not sure whether or not this is already a thread, I looked but couldn't find it.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that people have been direct chatting me (like the chat I use to have conversations with friends) without being A) my friend, or B) anywhere near me. Like one person chatted me from the hatchery when I was in Olde Town. So, I guess my question is how on earth (or WizardCity) are they doing this?
Also, some players have been using it to ask me for crowns. I was wondering if there was a way to keep them from doing it while still being able to have conversations with my friends.

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
This is called "Whispering" young wizard.

Whispering is when you cant talk to a friend with out being in the same place. You can do this to by clicking on one of your friends and press "Text Chat".

And i you dont want to be bothered i suggest to ignore the friend that keeps bothering you or use "Hidden To Friends"

( You can find Hidden To Friends in the optiong in Advanced Game Options )

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
they can click on your name in the chat window and speak to you directly.

no big thing to worry about

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
lexidarling wrote:
So I'm not sure whether or not this is already a thread, I looked but couldn't find it.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that people have been direct chatting me (like the chat I use to have conversations with friends) without being A) my friend, or B) anywhere near me. Like one person chatted me from the hatchery when I was in Olde Town. So, I guess my question is how on earth (or WizardCity) are they doing this?
Also, some players have been using it to ask me for crowns. I was wondering if there was a way to keep them from doing it while still being able to have conversations with my friends.

If they right click on your name they can chat you. You can do the same back.
On a side note left clicking shows your stats.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
cprocks988 wrote:

Whispering is when you cant talk to a friend with out being in the same place. You can do this to by clicking on one of your friends and press "Text Chat".

And i you dont want to be bothered i suggest to ignore the friend that keeps bothering you or use "Hidden To Friends"

"Master Of All The 17 Schools"

There are NOT 17 schools. But yes what you said (about whispering and hidden to friends) is very, very true.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2011
Ive noticed that too. What i really hate is having people direct message me that are on my friends list asking for help but i cant respond to them because they have the direct chat turned off - Soooo i now delete those people.

Had 1 person send me 4 messages asking for help. Now keep in mind i was in a battle so they then proceed to port to me and join my battle. The guy or gal then says to me thanks for not helping and then ports someplace else leaving me now to fight more monsters. That really got me fired up.

The chat in game needs to be tweeked more and more user friendly. If someone direct messages you...you should be able to direct message them back regardless.

Ohh well life goes on :)

Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
If you want to reply to the person that isnt in your list or anywhere near you and you dont know how, (make sure your chatbox textbar is NOT highlighted) just press R and the name of the last person to private msg you comes up for you to easily reply to them. You could tell them nicely not to bother you.

If this has already been posted forgive me,
it takes time for them to add everyones posts.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
lexidarling wrote:
So I'm not sure whether or not this is already a thread, I looked but couldn't find it. Anyway, I've noticed lately that people have been direct chatting me (like the chat I use to have conversations with friends) without being A) my friend, or B) anywhere near me. Like one person chatted me from the hatchery when I was in Olde Town. So, I guess my question is how on earth (or WizardCity) are they doing this? Also, some players have been using it to ask me for crowns. I was wondering if there was a way to keep them from doing it while still being able to have conversations with my friends.
the way to avoid this is to not talk 'out loud' while in crowded places like the commons or bazaar. talk to your friends directly using one of the aforementioned methods. if you have a few people you want to talk to privately and directly, you can invite them all into a group and use the group chat that just they'll be able to read. -eli and crew

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
hobi wrote:
they can click on your name in the chat window and speak to you directly.

no big thing to worry about

right click not just click

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
michaeljoe2 wrote:
cprocks988 wrote:

There are NOT 17 schools. But yes what you said (about whispering and hidden to friends) is very, very true.

Sorry my little brother did that. :?

Champion
Jun 16, 2009
If its people you dont know, They hear you then right click your name.

Hope it helped :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
etherchaos wrote:
lexidarling wrote:
So I'm not sure whether or not this is already a thread, I looked but couldn't find it. Anyway, I've noticed lately that people have been direct chatting me (like the chat I use to have conversations with friends) without being A) my friend, or B) anywhere near me. Like one person chatted me from the hatchery when I was in Olde Town. So, I guess my question is how on earth (or WizardCity) are they doing this? Also, some players have been using it to ask me for crowns. I was wondering if there was a way to keep them from doing it while still being able to have conversations with my friends.
the way to avoid this is to not talk 'out loud' while in crowded places like the commons or bazaar. talk to your friends directly using one of the aforementioned methods. if you have a few people you want to talk to privately and directly, you can invite them all into a group and use the group chat that just they'll be able to read. -eli and crew

I don't talk 'out loud' in places like the Commons or the Bazaar very often, particularly on my legendary- she gets spammed with friend-requests by low-level players expecting to ride on her coattails (I'm sure every legendary wiz has experienced this, at some point). I don't mind helping, but I do mind piggybackers taking advantage- hey, we had to work hard to get here, and so should they.

Okay, rant over. Back on topic.

As I was saying, I try not to chat in public areas for the reason above, yet a complete stranger was able to somehow talk to me from the Commons while I was in my house. He was definitely not on my friends-list, as he was asking for friendship (and a tour of my house!)- he wouldn't stop bothering me, so I ended up changing servers to avoid him. Needless to say, certain aspects of the chat-function definitely need tweaking.

Happy travels,

L.S.
Master of Balance

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
michaeljoe2 wrote:
cprocks988 wrote:

Actually when you think about it, there are.

Astral schools- 3
Wysteria schools- 7
Ravenwood schools- 7

And when the math is done, it equals 17 lol

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
sedcmd7379 wrote:
The chat in game needs to be tweeked more and more user friendly. If someone direct messages you...you should be able to direct message them back regardless.

Ohh well life goes on :)

You can. Right click on their name or press R for reply.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
hunteray09 wrote:
michaeljoe2 wrote:
cprocks988 wrote:

Astral schools- 3
Wysteria schools- 7
Ravenwood schools- 7

this being true but you only get enough training points to master 4 of them

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
arkansas99 wrote:
hunteray09 wrote:
michaeljoe2 wrote:
cprocks988 wrote:

Astral schools- 3
Wysteria schools- 7
Ravenwood schools- 7

this being true but you only get enough training points to master 4 of them

other characters is what he might mean

Survivor
Jul 04, 2011
I know what you are asking and ironically was looking for an answer to this myself this morniing. My example is I was in PvP 1 v1 the opponent was not on my friends list, I had left the arena gone to my house, he was able to send me a message - the one that shows like private its that purplish color that doesnt show up in a chat bubble if the description helps at all - I had typed in chat bubble "gg" after the battle and I guess he didnt know what that meant and he sent me a message saying "speak english was that an insult noob?" well I wanted to answer back but could NOT click on his name to reply, g his portrait up on the righthand screen had no chat reply options at all highlighted to try and answer that way, and I did try hitting "R" for reply and my answer came out in a chat bubble which at my home he obviously could not see. So as the original poster asked...How is this possible and how can I answer back when needed?

Defender
May 30, 2010