Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Need some Starting School help.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 12, 2010
Let's see how do I start this, a few months ago, almost a year now I started to play and had a starting school of Death, mixed with Fire and worked out nicely for me, bare in mind this was on an older account and I decided to switch to this one, KI must love the money I threw at them for crowns for that account and this one. That is beside the point right now. The point I am wanting now is I am having trouble with schools and combination with each other.

I haven't started Death again because I have been reading a few posts on here that make some nice points about not picking your Secondary School for attacking but more utility uses which would rule out the Death Fire Combo I had going before. I've tried out Storm which wasn't so bad using life and death with it, but I decided against it for Fizzle rates and Health.

I then tried Fire and with my luck had a much worse time with Fizzling than I did with storm so my fire wizard didn't last long.

I had an Ice Wizard which I liked surprisingly, and will make one again after I get another wizard to high level, I don't want Ice to be my first level 60 school.

I've heard bad things about Myth and never liked there spells so I don't want to use it at all not even for secondary School.

My want is to make a character that is good for late and end game, I would like to hear solid suggestions about Death Life and Balance Primary Schools and other Schooling Combos to go with them as starters building for the late game, I want something good for the late game and can't decide what to go with because I don't know how things play out in the end game but know I want to be confident with what I pick from the beginning I am a perfectionist when it comes to things like this.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to say something to help me decide, I like to solo most of the time so I would like to avoid ideas based on grouping but will listen to them for when I want to group I know what to do.

Explorer
Jun 01, 2010
well if you like to solo death is the school for you. i have a legendary death and i always solo. you should train ice to tower shield and train life to satyr. that's the best combo i can give you

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
My Death wizard is still in MB so I can't say much about high levels with that school. So far I have been doing great soloing. I took Ice school up to tower shield. I also took fire and storm up to the shield spells, but only because i know I will need them in Celestia. I still have plenty of training points to use.

Life was my first wizard. Contrary to what others may say, Life is NOT for support only. I soloed most of the game with my life wizard including the many DS tower BEFORE they were shortened. Yes, I even soloed Eldrik's vault and the Secure House BEFORE they were made easier. I did have a rough time in Celestia especially when fighting Ice. For some reason, I seemed to do better solo on many of the mobs than in a group. With Life, I trained in Death up to feint, Ice to tower shield, and got the ice shield from lady in wizard city fair grounds. I also trained in Star school. I still have training points left.

I also have a Legendary Balance Wizard. I also soloed most of the game with her. DS proved a little difficult and I started disliking that school. I trained her in death up to feint and ice to tower shield. I also trained in Life up to sprite. Sadly, my balance wizard sat in the school house just waiting to be used. Upon the release of Celestia, I took her out of storage, and what i surprise I got. My Balance ROCKED in Celestia. I trained in the sun school with her and quickly learned a strong, monstrous, and gargantuan on a Hydra will blast nearly anything.

Here are a few things to remember.
Life, although has weak attacks has the ability to outlast most in a fight. Their healing power helps keep them alive. Also at high levels their power pip chance is great and soon they can cast centaur followed by a satyr in a short time. For solo play, I keep only 2-3 of each heal in the deck. The rest is for attacks and boosts.

Balance also has some weak attacks. Many people rely too much on judgment thinking that is the only good attack Balance has. I actually mostly use Judgment when fighting elemental or as a finishing move. My main attack is Hydra and by using sun school along with blades I have hit with over a thousand per head without critical.

I hope this information helps you in deciding a wizard.
Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
My recommendation is to save your trains for for climbing the Star and Moon schools. Death school is very powerful as it heals as it attacks and other attack schools or support schools are not really needed.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 51 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ic

Explorer
Dec 16, 2009
Well.. I choose Fire first. I had a good time with it until my spells kept on fizzling. So I choose Life for my secondary. It wasn't a great Combo. I should of been Fire, and Death.

But, now I made a Balance Student. I am not liking that there are TONS of Balance Monsters. So, I thought about it. Myth, Life, and Death boost to Balance right? So.. Myth - More Damage, Life - Heals and does Middle Damage, Death - Attacks/Heals and does Less Damage. So, my secondary is Myth.

Balance is a great School. You get at least ONE healing spell.. Storm, Fire ( Has link but not a lot of health ), Myth, and Ice DO NOT have healing spells. The only bad thing about Balance it doesn't its own shield. BUT. Instead, it has shields. Elemental Shield - Fire, Ice, Storm Shields -50 Damage, and Spirit Shield - Ice, Death, and Myth Shields -50 Damage.

So, I would choose Balance. Choose your secondary Myth, Life, or Death.

John Thundercaster ~ Fire, Life, and Ice
Lvl. 39

Andrew Earth ~ Balance, Myth
Lvl. 12

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
What StormWizard said, balance is a great primary school that is accentuated by its damage(judgement, elemental strike), control(universal buffs and traps), defense( elemental and spirit shields), and healing abilities(helping hands). We do extra damage to one, no THREE different schools(myth, life, and death).
Having life as a secondary means added healing and mediocre damage.
Having myth as a secondary school means more damage and control with earthquake and minotaur.
Having death as a secondary school means extra damage and some healing.
Using balance blades and traps with either of these schools' buffs and traps means even more damage.
As for the end game, even though I havent reached it yet, the moon school and the polymorphs will give you a lot of options.
Wishing you luck in the vastness of the spiral,
-The Machine Master

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I would have said Death. and I still believe it is one of the great solo/adult character types. But now I would also add Balance and Life.

Life is just awesome...my Legendary lifer is...fun. Forest Lord, boosted with sun damage boosters, in a crit boosting aura (life gear gives 80, with 20 from the aura you have a good chance of critting). With a high pip chance, on turn 3 you are critting a forest lord against all foes for 3-5K damage. Life isn't weak anymore.

Balance, with the addition of Ra, also gains that multi-foe attack that can be sun boosted (say, +225). While Balance gear isn't as high with crits, you can still do an awesome amount of damage.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I'd go with the ice school that you enjoy playing. At end game ice school currently ranks at the top in terms of PvP. Fire is also strong at end play, and so is life. The problem with life is that it is incredibly slow and dull to play all the way up to level 58 where it finally gets a mass attack, so its not likely the wizard you want to go with as your first. Storm becomes really strong and quick to play as soon as you get tempest, but storm suffers in PvP as it has low health and goes up against high health opponents that have all types of storm shields and storm resists. Myth is only as strong as it is in multi-person PvP due to its earthquake card, and you can't be sure that it will always remove stun shields so I wouldn't go with it. Death currently can not enhance its damage + healing cards so its currently not the way to go. Balance is easy enough. I'd still go ice though, if you go ice, learn various double shields, go sun school for enhancement cards, and go life to satyr I think you will be happy that you did. Ice is hard to kill and is often the last one standing on its side in multi person PvP so if ice can heal well its hard to keep its team down if there is also a life on its side.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2010
For the longest time I thought I wasn't getting any replies on this but now I see I got a lot of good ones that let me really think. I forget who but about the life being slow to level is not a problem for me I don't mind that as long as the late game is good which I can see it is, a big problem with life being up first is the fact that no really boosting powers in terms of blades and traps until like level 30 or so