Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why are subscribers penalized?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
I am a senior citizen Wizard 101 addictee. The henchmen, one of the newest addictions, can only be bought with crowns. As a subscriber, I feel we are penalized by not being able to purchase them for cash as it was on test originally. Some of us just can't afford to pay for both a subscription and buy crowns too.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
i agree. i'm a single mom of 3 kids and pay for 2 accounts on here. the crowns to get the extra things is most of the time out of my reach for my self or my kids. This games claims " family friendly" then make the extras "family affordable"

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
I agree, this is just unfair, all of these new features need crowns, like Second Chance, Stitching, and I don't find it fair that subscribers need to buy crowns to do the majority of things in the game, because that's where this is headed.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2009
As a subscriber that is already paying monthly I am absolutely disgusted at the greed of Kingsisle.
All the mounts offered, NOT ONE, NOT ONE, can be purchased with in-game money. EVERY single one wants more money in the way of purchasing crowns.
When does the greed stop? There should be at least ONE offered to subscribers to be bought with in game dollars.
I am seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription, I'm so disgusted

Bourbs

Defender
May 29, 2009

I'm a parent who plays this a game along with my son so I pay for 2 subscriptions. I guess I see it a little different though. We can play the game just fine without the mounts, henchman, or stitching. Developing new features like this costs real money and it does have to be paid for somehow.

I'd rather have it be an optional cost in crowns than have they raise the subscription rate. With that, you really would be penalizing subscribers who may not be interested in taking advantage of those features.

At $60/year subscription, it's a pretty good deal compared to other MMOs that I've tried (Lord of the Rings costs $13/month so it's more than double the cost).

Just my opinion on it.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I agree as well. I have been gripeing and sending letters about this since I started playing. Sure we get acess to everything but it does little good. You have to level so much to be able to make cash in this game Its just not worth it to me these days. I am about to the point of stopping my sub because all KI does is wish more and more cash from those who are already the Customer Base for the game.

They could let monthly subs pay the crown price in gold for items but no they wish us to pay more and more.

Check around the net THIS IS THE ONLY game that keeps wanting to milk cash from players who pay monthly.

Until enough people stand up against this it wont change ... KI can use all the excuses it wishes people are not as stupid as they think we are.

Explorer
Sep 09, 2009
Elessar wrote:
I agree, this is just unfair, all of these new features need crowns, like Second Chance, Stitching, and I don't find it fair that subscribers need to buy crowns to do the majority of things in the game, because that's where this is headed.

I agree also.

It would be bad enough if you had to pay real cash (crowns) one time
for the ability to stitch or do second chance (as if they were new
spells to learn) But paying real cash (crowns) FOR EVERY USE of stitch, second chance, minions, etc is just rediculous.

Something you have to pay real money for for every use is NOT an
improvement. Not for family people anyway. Multiply that times number
of kids and you can go broke real quick.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
Im also very disgusted by kings isle's greed, i should have known that this big update was to make peopel buy crowns.

As a subscriber, this sickens me. I'm 15 years old, so getting money for me is a pain in the butt.

Kings isle, i'm very disappointed with all this crowns garbage!

You better change this because i pay for this game, and so do a lot of players.

If you dont make us happy, we will unsubscribe from this game.

Well guys that's all i gotta say

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
AlexNor wrote:
I agree as well. I have been gripeing and sending letters about this since I started playing. Sure we get acess to everything but it does little good. You have to level so much to be able to make cash in this game Its just not worth it to me these days. I am about to the point of stopping my sub because all KI does is wish more and more cash from those who are already the Customer Base for the game.

They could let monthly subs pay the crown price in gold for items but no they wish us to pay more and more.

Check around the net THIS IS THE ONLY game that keeps wanting to milk cash from players who pay monthly.

Until enough people stand up against this it wont change ... KI can use all the excuses it wishes people are not as stupid as they think we are.

dude, you are EXACTLY right. I stand with ya man 100%

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
carterma wrote:

I'm a parent who plays this a game along with my son so I pay for 2 subscriptions. I guess I see it a little different though. We can play the game just fine without the mounts, henchman, or stitching. Developing new features like this costs real money and it does have to be paid for somehow.

I'd rather have it be an optional cost in crowns than have they raise the subscription rate. With that, you really would be penalizing subscribers who may not be interested in taking advantage of those features.

At $60/year subscription, it's a pretty good deal compared to other MMOs that I've tried (Lord of the Rings costs $13/month so it's more than double the cost).

Just my opinion on it.

Finally a voice of wisdom. Your point is valid, it costs to put out this game. Your second point, do we want a bare bones sub for low cost and pay for frills, or a hefty sub price with all these features free? Now, I can afford a sub fee more than it is, so it isn't a big deal, but we have gotten along without all these features or crown gear for a year, and while nice, we can survive in the future without.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
Awgeewhiz wrote:
Elessar wrote:

I agree also.

It would be bad enough if you had to pay real cash (crowns) one time
for the ability to stitch or do second chance (as if they were new
spells to learn) But paying real cash (crowns) FOR EVERY USE of stitch, second chance, minions, etc is just rediculous.

Something you have to pay real money for for every use is NOT an
improvement. Not for family people anyway. Multiply that times number
of kids and you can go broke real quick.

HOPE YOU ARE WATCHING THIS THREAD K.I.
ANDTAKE HEED!

I Totaly agree ! :x :x
Subscribers used to be the only ones able to get Crown Gear and your teacher payed a little more attention to you than other wizards you also
got special quests which no one else got too.

I was hoping for some Subscriber appreciation with this last addition update by means of giving each "Account" their own permanent flying broomstick 'Mount' ride, and can use the 'Second Chance' & Henchmen'
twice per day, But can not use twice in a row on the same boss or 2 HM
on the same boss as well.

The Crown to Gold exchange rate is a out right SCAM! IMO.
800C for 1000G!!! If KI ever implemented this the other way around,
1000 in game Gold for 800 Crowns THEN it'd be WORTH IT!!! :P 8)
IMO;
KI I hope recalculates some numbers and makes some changes,
rather quickly in this area OR is this what you are trying to do in
making this online game more like that of a real life Carnival or Fair
or Fun Park, where everything costs money, and you can either pay the full admission price for full access to the park or just pay for certain 'rides' and have access to only those Areas. BUT THIS is online and its
differant than IRL! You can not expect people to pay IRL Money amounts for virtual equilants aspecaily with NO Gold to Crowns exchange!
I hope those with enough smarts, knows where this dailog is headed
for and it don't look pretty. IMO.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2009
This is absurd! I also pay for 2 subscriptions and have been looking forward to the new features, especially the henchmen and the stitching, but now I have to buy crowns to use them. What is the sense of a subscription? Might as well just be a crown player.
Also the gold price of the mounts are ridiculous, more than double the price of a mansion!
KI you will be sorry when all your subscribers cancel their subscriptions....I know I will be cancelling mine ASAP!

Autumn Mistbreeze Grandmaster Life
Ashley Deathblossom Master Death
Sabrina Mythblossom lvl 35 Myth
Rachel Willowblossom lvl 18 Balance
Kayla Winterblossom lvl 15 Ice
Taylor Fireblossom lvl 5 Fire

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
Uh - as far as I can tell, every single one of the mounts is available for in-game gold as well as for crowns. What on earth are folks talking about?

Survivor
May 14, 2009
I understand the need for MMO games to continue to bring in money with in-game additions that may cost real money but I do think KI has gone a bit overboard this time. Most games (I have played UO for almost 10 years now) permanently give you items that you pay real cash for or they balance them out a little better.

While I agree that perhaps some items should be added on a Crown only basis I think they went a little overboard by making every single addition except the mounts Crown only.

I mean, jeez, the permanent mounts are out of reach for most new players except as Crowns anyway. They could have done the same thing with the other items by making them very expensive. While the choice of what to do with your gold may have become more difficult (especially those of us who want everything at once :D) at least you would have had the option!

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
bourbs wrote:
As a subscriber that is already paying monthly I am absolutely disgusted at the greed of Kingsisle.
All the mounts offered, NOT ONE, NOT ONE, can be purchased with in-game money. EVERY single one wants more money in the way of purchasing crowns.
When does the greed stop? There should be at least ONE offered to subscribers to be bought with in game dollars.

Bourbs

You are wrong. EVERY SINGLE mount can be purchased with in-game gold. All you need to do is click on the GOLD tab above the BUY button. This works for the elixirs as well.

But because the majority of items here can only be purchased with crowns, I feel that the SHOP icon needs to be removed permanently. All this is doing is constantly reminding our kids what they can get if their parents will only fork out the cash.

Survivor
Nov 20, 2008
There should be a way for me to earn in game as a subscriber any item available by crowns. I already didn't like that there are seasonal costumes and pets I can't get without paying more money but they were just fluff.

Mounts and henchmen have a real effect on gameplay and to make them crowns only is really unfair to subscribers.

If your not going to make them available for purchase with in game gold it's time to give subscribers a monthly alotment of crowns like DDO unlimited does for their subscribers.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
Prisemy wrote:

If your not going to make them available for purchase with in game gold it's time to give subscribers a monthly alotment of crowns like DDO unlimited does for their subscribers.

Thats the best idea I have heard so far as to solving this issue.

YES YES YES!!! and also give ONLY subscribed accounts the second chance option say one use a day per subscribed account for free then have to pay a small amount of Gold after that. or up to 3 elixers, WHICH you
can carry with you and USE them when needed, just put them with the potion bottles we already got but withthe new small icons.

AND also lower the prices gesh, Some of the robes cost more than the mansions do !!! as well as the mounts, Lets see hmmm, 12k 15k is that in Crowns? or Gold? or both?
either way I know I will NEVER have that much Gold and does anyone know how much Real money 20k in Crowns cost?
I'm betting I'm not the only one is rather short of funds these days,
to buy a perminant mount (because the way the prices are now it just is not even worth condisidering buying a 7 day mount)

Survivor
Aug 31, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
bourbs wrote:

Bourbs

You are wrong. EVERY SINGLE mount can be purchased with in-game gold. All you need to do is click on the GOLD tab above the BUY button. This works for the elixirs as well.

But because the majority of items here can only be purchased with crowns, I feel that the SHOP icon needs to be removed permanently. All this is doing is constantly reminding our kids what they can get if their parents will only fork out the cash.

I do apologize, I was wrong about the mounts being able to be bought with cash. I do thank you for bringing that to my attention.
The amounts though are absolutely ridiculous. They seem to have deliberately put it out of range for the common player in order to make us buy crowns to get it quicker, all in all, it's still pretty sad.
Many, many people are getting sick of their greed and getting very angry and if they dont pay attention, they are going to lose many subscribers.
Someone over there is making some really bad decisions as far as I'm concerned. This is NOT the only online game, nor is it the best.
I for one will not sign up again, if they don't start offering subscribers something. I agree with one of the other posters, we subscribers should have at least be given one of the "stock" brooms.
Last night one of my friends paid crown to be able to wear one of the costumes---FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF! That's all she got it for, I mean, come on for heaven's sake.
Wake Up Kings Isle! Give a rats about what your paid subscribers are saying and do something to show us you care about your base payers.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
what i would love to see happen is that subscribers get an 'allowance' if you will, of crowns and maybe one free perm mount per account. I do love the henchemen option but please make it usable with gold maybe just for subscribers? Toss us a bone please KI. I love the game and left WoW for it. :P

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
I pay for two subscribtions and yes I feel that we need to be able to get everything that crown player get. Before the last world came out everyone could get almost everything out there from hats, robes, boots, and pets. There was only a small amount that crowns would get you. Now it is best to be a crown player because everything is for them now. I think that all KI has to do is to make everything to be bought with gold. And i do mean everything not just a small part of the stuff that everyone wants.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
hearty707 wrote:
I pay for two subscribtions and yes I feel that we need to be able to get everything that crown player get. Before the last world came out everyone could get almost everything out there from hats, robes, boots, and pets. There was only a small amount that crowns would get you. Now it is best to be a crown player because everything is for them now. I think that all KI has to do is to make everything to be bought with gold. And i do mean everything not just a small part of the stuff that everyone wants.

IMO; I think Subscribers SHOULD GET FULL access to each world
they compleated, FOREVER, just like the Crowns player who opens up a area
FOR LIFE! never again to pay and can come back in a year and still
play all the areas they opened!!! NOW that would be fair and balanced.
then when all the worlds and areas are opened up you can stop subscribing! (now that would be a good 'comp' for being a subscriber IMO, asp. If KI don't give an allotment of crowns each month or a free broomstick or are the only ones who can buy or use certain things 'in game' which non subscription and free players can not use!)

BTW anyone know just how much real money is spent on opening up a whole world through Crowns playing?

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I agree that subscribing to the game should allow us subscribers certain "perks" that others do not get to experience. Having to pay for extras, such as mounts, elixirs, etc., with anything other than the gold we EARN from playing the game, is rediculous. We pay enough out of pocket, as it is.

Destiny Goldensong
Lvl 47 Master Diviner

Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
Ok, i know that KI needs to make a profit for this game to continue and upgrades be made. It must cost a pretty penny to keep this game up and running. I do get that KI is running a business, and subscribers do have access to all worlds at no extra cost, so that is a big plus, at least imho.

However, I also think the prices on some of the basics are getting too high. I don't require a mount, it's just fun to have. I don't require a coordinated outfit, it's just fun to have. Problem is, this is a game intended for kids and too many of the new "improvements" makes the game feel like it's the "haves vs the have-nots". It has to be hard on players who just can't afford all the toys. Yes, that is like real life, but this isn't real life.

I would like to see KI make it easier for players to subscribe and then offer a few perks to subscribers. Maybe extras like some of the clothing at a lower cost, basic cards such as shields at a lower cost, the broom mounts at a lower cost Perhaps even some freebies beyond world access. And how about some special gift for those who renew a subscription? Those could be basic cards or clothing or mounts, depending on the length of the subscription. Sort of a rewards package for continuing to subscribe.

Just trying to suggest some things that might help subscribers.

As for crown players, perhaps some special reward after the purchase of so many crowns?

Just a few customer service oriented thoughts.

Administrator
Certain new additions such as Henchmen & Elixirs allow players to shortcut the time it takes to complete tasks in Wizard101, therefore we sell these items only for Crowns as they allow players to complete the game faster.
Players who do not wish to buy Crowns are not penalized and can still complete the tasks and the game in the regular amount of time.

When we introduced mounts, we wanted to make sure they were accessible to players in different ways. Players who choose to spend money in the game can buy mounts with Crowns they've purchased. Players who choose to spend time in the game can buy mounts with Gold they've earned through quests and duels.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
wenchiepoo wrote:
i agree. i'm a single mom of 3 kids and pay for 2 accounts on here. the crowns to get the extra things is most of the time out of my reach for my self or my kids. This games claims " family friendly" then make the extras "family affordable"

There is a way to save money on subscribing with two acconts. If you haven't already, subscribe both accounts with the family plan for a discounted price.