Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Charging for the Stitch feature.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
I think this is really unfair too all the people that don't get crowns. I myself, have never used a crown outside the test realm, and I am Grandmaster. Why even charge for it? We need to PAY to wear clothes we like? I myself have two outfits, one the casual outfit that I love, and the battle clothes needed for Dragonspyre. But, I have to pay money too look how I want. In the other mmos I have played, they all had this feature, with one difference. It was free.

Defender
May 29, 2009

well, actually, you don't have to pay to wear the clothes you like. You only have to pay if you want to wear the clothes you like, but want to apply the stats from a different set of clothes. Crowns sound like a reasonable way to enable this feature. Look, everybody wants stuff for free, but keep in mind that KI is a business and need to make money to continue to develop W101.

Elessar wrote:
I think this is really unfair too all the people that don't get crowns. I myself, have never used a crown outside the test realm, and I am Grandmaster. Why even charge for it? We need to PAY to wear clothes we like? I myself have two outfits, one the casual outfit that I love, and the battle clothes needed for Dragonspyre. But, I have to pay money too look how I want. In the other mmos I have played, they all had this feature, with one difference. It was free.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Elessar wrote:

I am willing to bet the other MMO didn't have free play and charged twice as much for subscription. For me, I'd rather have a lower monthly cost and then add the 'extras' such as this for a little extra than pay so much extra each month for these features to be 'free'.

Hero
May 27, 2009
Defender
May 29, 2009

In-game gold has no value to KI. For all of these new extended features that we like, KI needs to be able to make real money to pay real bills.

Willowdreamer wrote:
Perhaps the fee should be in-game gold, like the dye shop.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
I'm surprised the dye-shop is free. I wonder if they'd be able to hire an extra staffer if they charged for it.

Explorer
Sep 09, 2009
Ok, here's my take on it.

Any item bought with crowns should be modified color wise or style wise
without additional cost. You can choose colors at time of purchase, why not
style too? Or combine color and stitch at time of purchase.

You bought it with real money, you should do with it what you want as
long as you own it at no additinal cost.

If you buy a suit with crowns that has no stats it is still bought with real
money. You want to transfer that suit style to your current stat item
it should not cost through the stitching process. You would in essence be
paying for the same item twice. And even more so if the stat item to
be upgraded was originally bought with crowns then the style changed
through stitch.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
I think subscribers should receive some crowns every month. As a subscriber I am hesitant to use even more money to get crowns. The amount of crowns doesn't even have to be high. Just enough so that subscribers could save up to getting stitches or outfits but not so much that players that are too eager to wait lose incentive to still buy extra crowns if they need/want the items faster.

Perhaps I am just too old to understand why anyone would use real money to buy virtual clothing. Personally I can use that money for real clothes in real life instead.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
MikeStrath wrote:
Elessar wrote:

I am willing to bet the other MMO didn't have free play and charged twice as much for subscription. For me, I'd rather have a lower monthly cost and then add the 'extras' such as this for a little extra than pay so much extra each month for these features to be 'free'.

Actually, those mmos were free with cash shop.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
What good is the money I pay in subscription price. Seems like all the new stuff goes toward crowns. I don't hate my appearance that much to pay extra cash for it.

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
carterma wrote:

In-game gold has no value to KI. For all of these new extended features that we like, KI needs to be able to make real money to pay real bills.

Willowdreamer wrote:

...Bad.. There are quite a few games that don't charge a thing and are quite successful in money, lol..

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
Funnyweather wrote:
I think subscribers should receive some crowns every month. As a subscriber I am hesitant to use even more money to get crowns. The amount of crowns doesn't even have to be high. Just enough so that subscribers could save up to getting stitches or outfits but not so much that players that are too eager to wait lose incentive to still buy extra crowns if they need/want the items faster.

Perhaps I am just too old to understand why anyone would use real money to buy virtual clothing. Personally I can use that money for real clothes in real life instead.

I agree about the crowns. I have a full subscription and I paid for a year at a time, and not with the current discount being offered either! I work hard for my money and if I am a subscriber to a game, I expect the out of game real costs to stop there. ALL items in the game should be able to be bought with either crowns or gold and the gold charge should not exceed the exchange rate given when you buy gold with crowns.

I agree there should be some monthly stipend of crowns for subscribers. Perhaps grade it by how many months purchased at one time. i.e., a full year at once would maybe get 1000 crowns each month. a six month subscriber would get 500 crowns a month, a three month subscriber, 250. Month to month subscribers would get, say, 85 crowns a month. This would change as people renewed.

For instance, take a 3 month subscriber. They would be currently getting 250 crown stipend a month. With the current year discount sale, that 3 monther bought a year's extension now even tho they had 2 months left on their subscription of 3 months total. Immediately with the next month's crown allowance, they would jump to the one year allowance. i.e., they would go right away from 250 crowns a month to 1000 crowns a month, not wait till the three months ended first.

This would greatly increase pre-sales/yearly subscriptions for KI (and if I remember right, there is no refund), benefit the players, and even win players such as myself who waited over a year to join because of the "buy crowns with real money scheme". It made me think the whole game is a scheme/scam, and out of game real money still having to be spent STILL feels like a scam to me. Toontown by Disney does NOT charge for anything out of game (Go Disney!!) and, especially right now, is MORE expensive than Wizard 101 for a year's subscription I have been a Toontown player for over five years now.

It would eliminate the unfairness of those who have money to burn and those of us still trying to save our houses in real life, and would balance the game across the board. Of course the free players or pay per street group would get no allowance and would have to buy their crowns just like now, or earn the gold and buy crowns in game or just buy the item in "in game" gold, not even having to exchange for crowns if they didn't want. But everyone would have access to the same equipment, same items, etc., at the same in game only cost. An added bonus, it would teach kids how to budget their "money" (gold and crowns) in game to get the things they wanted.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
Willowdreamer wrote:

I agree with this there should be both for members who use gold and make the game fun for everyone and the crown users, (they too make the game fun) we already paid the price to finds and color why not give us a break.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
Funnyweather wrote:

That's what I thought, until I actually payed for the game and talked to people about it. Lol.
This crown thing is absolutely ridiculous. :(

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
You dont HAVE to stitch, its an optional thing added. KI did us a favor and added this feature to make the game more enjoyable for players, like mounts. And yet people find a way to complain and literally insult KI.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
carterma wrote:

Willowdreamer wrote:

REAL money? with over a million subscribers, those are the paid for accounts, that is MORE than enough REAL money. They are getting greedy and we all know what happens when you get greedy......
Better effective management is a better answer than jacking up prices, always has been and always will be.

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
Arenlor wrote:
I'm surprised the dye-shop is free. I wonder if they'd be able to hire an extra staffer if they charged for it.

The dye shop isn't free. It costs in-game coin to dye your clothes differently. And depending on what color combinations you use, the cost is more or less from the clothing's original color.

You just misinterpreted what the other poster had said. They said 'fee', not 'free'.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
Does anyone ever say "Thanks KI" or "Wow, i like these updates"? No, they just find a way to complain, i like this feature, i like how KI gave us the option. It isnt required, just a little extra thing to make the game funner!