Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Returning player, need some advice

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 04, 2009
So I have just got back into this game and I had seen that they added fish to the death house and balance house but not in the Royal playhouse so I was wondering, which homes have fishing ponds and which don't.

Also should I bother with low level crafted gear ? Recently started a new toon want to make sure it's worth the time early or wait until higher levels

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I don't craft gear for my wizards until level 56. If you demo the houses then you can see which ones have ponds. Also, the royal playhouse can be bought from the housing vendor in Wizard City. Good luck questing and make sure to avoid the grumpy players.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The Sultan's Palace came with tons of water with fish, including a pond and man made pools around the mansion. Good fishing, too. Caught some nice things including more than one treasure chest.

Will have to double check on others but by then the topic will probably include all your answers :)

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
For fishing, I believe it is now all of the bundle houses (Massive Fantasy Palace, Botanical Gardens, etc.) and all of the school houses (Ice House, Fire House, etc.) that have fish. None of the houses you buy from vendors (ie. Royal Playhouse, etc.), none of the non-school Crowns houses (ie. Red Barn Farm), and none of the houses you craft (ie. Celestial Observatory) have them.

As for low level crafted gear, don't bother. Between drops and the Bazaar, you can get some pretty decent gear until you get to around level 50 - 60. I know a lot of people that crafted Wintertusk gear, but I never did. It is pretty good though. I farmed and got Waterworks gear instead once I got to Level 60.

After that, then I started crafting gear. Avalon, Azteca, and Khrysalis have some fairly decent recipes for certain gear for most schools. But before that, it's pretty much a waste of time and resources to craft gear. You level so fast in the early part of the game that only a computer becomes obsolete faster than any gear you could craft.

Explorer
Apr 04, 2009
thanks guys :), its a shame that non bundle/school houses don't have fish in them, was looking into a dragonspyre home, the fortress one, and thought that you might be able to do lava fishing in the lower section and also the craftable grizzalhiem house

would you guys have any advice for a secondary school for balance? as of right now i am useing death as it gets boosted damage from balance enemys and some of the spells heal you but was thinking on resting the training points to go for life for the bigger heals

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
hatter999. on Oct 29, 2016 wrote:
So I have just got back into this game and I had seen that they added fish to the death house and balance house but not in the Royal playhouse so I was wondering, which homes have fishing ponds and which don't.

Also should I bother with low level crafted gear ? Recently started a new toon want to make sure it's worth the time early or wait until higher levels
If crafting gear is the way you want to go, Start getting your badges from the crafting vendors. The first one is in Old Town. You can bother with low level crafted gear if you like but I would recommend you start crafting gear in Celestia to get the critical hit/block ability . There's a Crafting vendor in the Floating Lands, Celestia. Wintertusk has good crafted gear too. Idk if you did this before but make sure you pay close attention to the instructions because it does get harder and different crafting stations are need as you go along.

As far as I know only a couple houses in the crown shop and bundles have fishing ponds but I'm not sure which ones.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
hatter999. on Nov 1, 2016 wrote:
thanks guys :), its a shame that non bundle/school houses don't have fish in them, was looking into a dragonspyre home, the fortress one, and thought that you might be able to do lava fishing in the lower section and also the craftable grizzalhiem house

would you guys have any advice for a secondary school for balance? as of right now i am useing death as it gets boosted damage from balance enemys and some of the spells heal you but was thinking on resting the training points to go for life for the bigger heals
As you get farther along, you'll find that a "secondary" school is not very useful. When I first started I was training Death as my secondary school for my Ice wizard, and then started training Life. Then I found out about Celestial magic and didn't have enough training points.

The secondary school only gives you spells up to a certain point. Much later, once you're almost done Polaris, you can start to learn more of the higher ranked spells in the Arcanum. I don't do PvP, but from what I've read that's where a secondary school comes in handy. In PvE however, by the time you're done Marleybone a secondary school has become virtually obsolete.

Outside of Celestial and Shadow spells, the only off school spells I trained were:

Non-Ice, Non-Death, and Non-Balance wizards:
Ice spells up to Tower Shield
Death spells up to Feint
Either Elementalblade and Elemtenal Trap, or Spiritblade and Spirit Trap depending on their school

Ice, Death and Balance wizards obviously already had their spells in either of the first two categories learned at no charge, so they just learned up to those spells mentioned in their off school.

KI will probably be running a free training point buyback promo for members very soon. I'd recommend looking at making changes then. Then you can try out different things too. My recommendations are only based on my playing style. You may have a completely different style that works, and my suggestions may not be very helpful in that case.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I looked at 2 more houses. I got them in the recent sale. They might have been bundle houses before. I don't know. I am pretty sure one was.

Amber House - has lava or hot melted honey flowing outdoors but surprisingly also has a cool blue stream around the edge. That blue stream has fish in it. I tried it so I could report to you and I caught two fish. One was a dragon eel I think it was? Or something like that? And one was a tattoo fish.

Fabulous Castle - or something like that - It has a moat of course and the moat has fish in it.

The castle I mean is brown, and authentic looking, it's not the one that is set in winter. Although that one has fish in a stream too.