Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat Problem

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
So, I returned to the game after eight years, and I find the chat filter (especially not being able to type numbers) annoying. My friend said that you can deactivate the filter, but I can't do it. I found out that your account has to be registered as 18+, but my account was made when I was 12. Is there any way to change that without having to restart my character on another account?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
littleguy50 on Mar 18, 2017 wrote:
So, I returned to the game after eight years, and I find the chat filter (especially not being able to type numbers) annoying. My friend said that you can deactivate the filter, but I can't do it. I found out that your account has to be registered as 18+, but my account was made when I was 12. Is there any way to change that without having to restart my character on another account?
No. It is illegal for Kingsisle to track your age if you put it originally as 12 or younger, so your account will NEVER get open chat.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
littleguy50 on Mar 18, 2017 wrote:
if you were under 13 when you made the account, the parent account it's attached to can give it open chat with a valid credit card on file as proof of age.

if it really is true that people can't ever get open chat if they made the account when they were young, that's ridiculous and should be done away with (since most sites now have ways to track the user's age without allowing them to update it themselves).

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
If your account age was 13 years and not 12 you could.

So no, you won't get open chat.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Dr Von on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
if you were under 13 when you made the account, the parent account it's attached to can give it open chat with a valid credit card on file as proof of age.

if it really is true that people can't ever get open chat if they made the account when they were young, that's ridiculous and should be done away with (since most sites now have ways to track the user's age without allowing them to update it themselves).
Kingsisle would have to get lawyers to try to change the law then lol

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
BrahmShadow on Mar 20, 2017 wrote:
Kingsisle would have to get lawyers to try to change the law then lol
i don't live in the us, so i'm not well-versed in american laws.

if it's coppa or something like that... well, they aren't children if they're 18.
on any other site, parents can contact the company to give consent re: tracking of age for minors.

(coppa is an american law, so not sure if it's selective or the same rules apply to everyone.)

i just think it's sad that someone with a full account has to start over if they want age-appropriate chat privileges. there has to be a way to make the process easier for customers.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Dr Von on Mar 20, 2017 wrote:
i don't live in the us, so i'm not well-versed in american laws.

if it's coppa or something like that... well, they aren't children if they're 18.
on any other site, parents can contact the company to give consent re: tracking of age for minors.

(coppa is an american law, so not sure if it's selective or the same rules apply to everyone.)

i just think it's sad that someone with a full account has to start over if they want age-appropriate chat privileges. there has to be a way to make the process easier for customers.

Yeah, I agree. I made a second account, because I didn't want to wait several years for open chat.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
Mirajane7887 on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
If your account age was 13 years and not 12 you could.

So no, you won't get open chat.
Dang it.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
BrahmShadow on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
No. It is illegal for Kingsisle to track your age if you put it originally as 12 or younger, so your account will NEVER get open chat.
Sigh. I really wish I had found the game just a little bit later. My friends that played the game were all a few years older than me, so they were fine. Thanks anyway.