Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

First Turn STILL Has It's OP Advantages

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 17, 2010
Ghoststone, I agree with you, but take a breath. Let's keep it civil here.
Natshadowbane, you actually did hit on it a little, people DO flee sometimes when they are second. In PVP they had to make changes to penalize that action, but in PVE they still do.
Now I understand that taking individual turns might be the best or traditional game play, but that isn't how it was set up. And consequently it does introduce an element of strategy and planning. But if KI was to ALTERNATE who goes first, that would make the battle order fair, giving both sides opportunity to be first and both sides need to plan for rounds when they are not first. And it would fall right in line with the basic game mechanics already.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I4C gr8ness on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Ghoststone, I agree with you, but take a breath. Let's keep it civil here.
Natshadowbane, you actually did hit on it a little, people DO flee sometimes when they are second. In PVP they had to make changes to penalize that action, but in PVE they still do.
Now I understand that taking individual turns might be the best or traditional game play, but that isn't how it was set up. And consequently it does introduce an element of strategy and planning. But if KI was to ALTERNATE who goes first, that would make the battle order fair, giving both sides opportunity to be first and both sides need to plan for rounds when they are not first. And it would fall right in line with the basic game mechanics already.
Actually that would be worse than the current state. Say I go second under your alternating system. I blade, then I have 3 power pips to attack for my first hit, because I get two moves in a row. First would be the loser in this, it doesn't solve anything really, though I think it's better than Ghostbane's idea.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
seethe42 on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Actually that would be worse than the current state. Say I go second under your alternating system. I blade, then I have 3 power pips to attack for my first hit, because I get two moves in a row. First would be the loser in this, it doesn't solve anything really, though I think it's better than Ghostbane's idea.
I disagree. It is better. In your example, that is no different than now (except the going second has the advantage). Right now if you are first then you blade and then the next round you can attack with 3 power pips. Of course the defense is to shield. But the advantage of going first and being able to respond to the other person's action alternates. So as of now if you are first and see that they didn't shield then you have the green light to attack. If they did shield then you can wand it off or something. If it alternates then you have to decide do i go for the attack or defend for that next round when they have two in a row. It will take strategy and planning and it will be the same for BOTH first and second.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I4C gr8ness on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:
I disagree. It is better. In your example, that is no different than now (except the going second has the advantage). Right now if you are first then you blade and then the next round you can attack with 3 power pips. Of course the defense is to shield. But the advantage of going first and being able to respond to the other person's action alternates. So as of now if you are first and see that they didn't shield then you have the green light to attack. If they did shield then you can wand it off or something. If it alternates then you have to decide do i go for the attack or defend for that next round when they have two in a row. It will take strategy and planning and it will be the same for BOTH first and second.
The first person HAS to shield or they are dead because second has 6 pips for first attack and a blade. The battle would be over pretty much every time if first doesn't shield. There would be no alternating in 1v1 because second would always win.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2012
I am a level 65 fire warlord, I mostly go up against Promethean storm, balance, and ice. This is almost every match, if it is storm I lose in 2 or 3 rounds even if I get conviction up, they critical and it always goes through, a lot of times I lose in the first round to a 2 pip wild bolt critical. If it is an Ice they will have between 80-101% resist and 5000 health and I do no damage to them unless I put prisms and other spells in my deck which puts me at a deck disadvantage to other wizards. Balance matches go like this 90% of the time, potent trap 40% then 3 power pip judge = 100 hp or dead, next round, judge, judge, judge, judge, then reshuffle, hex, judge, judge, judge. This style of game play is neither good for the player because it takes away all thinking and makes the game useless for challenging yourself, or your kids, and bad for the game as it has become very flat and BORING. I am so bored dueling it is not any fun to wait 10 minutes for a match and get 2 minutes of humiliation as a 95 private just spams to victory then calls you a noob and leaves.

The matches that I rarely get vs other players my level of equal skill are typically resulting in respectful and lasting friendships. The style of game play caters to a group of disrespectful ego mongers that do no service to the games climate is so bad for the long term. I urge the developers to really get on the Balance ball.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Eaos on Jan 20, 2014 wrote:
I am a level 65 fire warlord, I mostly go up against Promethean storm, balance, and ice. This is almost every match, if it is storm I lose in 2 or 3 rounds even if I get conviction up, they critical and it always goes through, a lot of times I lose in the first round to a 2 pip wild bolt critical. If it is an Ice they will have between 80-101% resist and 5000 health and I do no damage to them unless I put prisms and other spells in my deck which puts me at a deck disadvantage to other wizards. Balance matches go like this 90% of the time, potent trap 40% then 3 power pip judge = 100 hp or dead, next round, judge, judge, judge, judge, then reshuffle, hex, judge, judge, judge. This style of game play is neither good for the player because it takes away all thinking and makes the game useless for challenging yourself, or your kids, and bad for the game as it has become very flat and BORING. I am so bored dueling it is not any fun to wait 10 minutes for a match and get 2 minutes of humiliation as a 95 private just spams to victory then calls you a noob and leaves.

The matches that I rarely get vs other players my level of equal skill are typically resulting in respectful and lasting friendships. The style of game play caters to a group of disrespectful ego mongers that do no service to the games climate is so bad for the long term. I urge the developers to really get on the Balance ball.
a little off topic. But yes I agree, this is just another issue that needs fixing. This game has so much potential to be really great, but all of these flaws are preventing it. And a lot of these flaws were made by the KI with there updates just because they didn't think it through or test the gear properly before releasing it. All is not lost though, we need a variety of new gear for level 100's that provide lots of block and health. This will restore balance and they need to test it in order to get it right and adjust the values. Rather than just give us something else over powered like they did with Jade and then Hades.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2012
First turn is way OP. Especially for schools like balance with mana burn or their dispels.

Kingsisle... your busted system isn't that hard to fix. All you need to do is apply the person going first defense spells, then the 2nd person's defense spells, then the first persons attack, then the second persons attack. In other words, apply defensive spells from both parties then offensive spells from both parties. The first person would still have slight advantage in killing first, but it would significantly close the gap.