Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bravo KI!! Great New World!!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
Wow, after reading all the negativity about Azteca, it's clear that this game sadly may be over many heads.
"It's too hard!" Are you kidding me? In this world of entitlement guess what?

Welcome to a Challenge!
Once upon a time there was a little game called Dungeons and Dragons (massive pencil, dice and paper roleplaying game before computers in the 70's and 80's). The main creator of D&D, Gary Gygax put out an adventure called Tomb of Horrors, meant to severely challenge the player (but really to kill everyone's character). I remember some people were whining back then but the majority embraced it, people were smarter and way less entitled.

The solution to your success or failure in Wizard 101 especially Azteca is simple. Here are a couple tips for what they're worth.

1. Teamwork: There's a concept! Lose your ego and attitude, we all die and we've all seen a hotshot wizard boneheadedly (yes I just typed that) selfishly playing for himself without regard to the team....If you haven't notice this game is for all ages and teaches teamwork, critical thinking, math, spelling, geography, history among other studies, and kids learn typing skills. If you're a loner introvert and that crosses over into your gaming world then good luck to you if you don't know how to play. You will need some friends at some point.

2. Be Patient: these days everyone wants everything NOW. Slow down, new worlds are exciting, but you actually need to think. Games traditionally get harder as they progress (there's an alien concept). If you want a game with immediate gratification go play Pac Man.

3. Learn the Game: reinvent your wizard and your deck all the time, use treasure cards (feints, minions, steal charms, shatter, heal cards) they add spice and excitement. When you die it's not KI's fault it's yours. If you're a casual gamer, guess what go to Unicorn Way, the game has evolved, left you behind.

4. Gear/stats: make sure these are as updated and bulletproof as can be for your school/level. I'm a resist freak so I focus on that stat but my crits are massive as well as blocks...help your wizard out!

5. Play your School: If you decide to be a life wizard, be a life wizard, heal the team, hit as well but take care of the team... that's your job. I've seen some hideous Life wizards acting like death wizards. I'm a doctor in real life, my Life wiz is my fave wiz, I play him like a doctor, but his crit right now is 265 and is owning AZ as I type this...he rules...

Just some thoughts, don't underestimate or blame KI for your ignorance, lack of imagination, frustration or impatience....they are doing an incredible job. All my friends on W101 love Az because they get it.... both young and old.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
The Whistler on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:
Wow, after reading all the negativity about Azteca, it's clear that this game sadly may be over many heads.

Welcome to a Challenge!
Once upon a time there was a little game called Dungeons and Dragons (massive pencil, dice and paper roleplaying game before computers in the 70's and 80's). The main creator of D&D, Gary Gygax put out an adventure called Tomb of Horrors, meant to severely challenge the player (but really to kill everyone's character). I remember some people were whining back then but the majority embraced it, people were smarter and way less entitled.

The solution to your success or failure in Wizard 101 especially Azteca is simple. Here are a couple tips for what they're worth.

1. Teamwork: There's a concept! Lose your ego and attitude, we all die and we've all seen a hotshot wizard boneheadedly (yes I just typed that) selfishly playing for himself without regard to the team....If you haven't notice this game is for all ages and teaches teamwork, critical thinking, math, spelling, geography, history among other studies, and kids learn typing skills. If you're a loner introvert and that crosses over into your gaming world then good luck to you if you don't know how to play. You will need some friends at some point.

2. Be Patient: these days everyone wants everything NOW. Slow down, new worlds are exciting, but you actually need to think. Games traditionally get harder as they progress (there's an alien concept). If you want a game with immediate gratification go play Pac Man.

3. Learn the Game: reinvent your wizard and your deck all the time, use treasure cards (feints, minions, steal charms, shatter, heal cards) they add spice and excitement. When you die it's not KI's fault it's yours. If you're a casual gamer, guess what go to Unicorn Way, the game has evolved, left you behind.

4. Gear/stats: make sure these are as updated and bulletproof as can be for your school/level. I'm a resist freak so I focus on that stat but my crits are massive as well as blocks...help your wizard out!

5. Play your School: If you decide to be a life wizard, be a life wizard, heal the team, hit as well but take care of the team... that's your job. I've seen some hideous Life wizards acting like death wizards. I'm a doctor in real life, my Life wiz is my fave wiz, I play him like a doctor, but his crit right now is 265 and is owning AZ as I type this...he rules...

Just some thoughts, don't underestimate or blame KI for your ignorance, lack of imagination, frustration or impatience....they are doing an incredible job. All my friends on W101 love Az because they get it.... both young and old.
Wow, there's a lot of sanctimonious attitude in that rather prolific post! As an actual adult, I play Wizard101 for fun and relaxation. I really never expected it to be work. Let's address some of your more condescending comments, shall we?

1) "If you're a casual gamer, guess what go to Unicorn Way, the game has evolved, left you behind." You may notice that many players are casual. Many of the young players go to...oh what's that called...school, and many of the adults work for a living. Three cheers to you if you can spend 15+ hours a day online, playing an MMPORG.

2) "Games traditionally get harder as the progress (there's an alien concept)." No kidding, Sparky. However, for a game that charges (W101 is not free to play unless you don't ever want to level) what W101 charges, it should market itself to all players, not just those who are unlucky enough to have nothing to do all day.

3) "Wow, after reading all the negativity about Azteca, it's clear that this game sadly may be over many heads." Is this neurosurgery? Astrophysics? It's a game, with animated little people and cute horsies. And the "negativity" results from what many people are seeing as an exclusionary attitude towards casual players.

I understand that, as often occurs in many computer games, people confuse their online bravado with their actual personality. You seem to have done that in your post, while I did not. I really am this sarcastic and well-spoken in real life. It's my job.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2011
Wow! I think it is funny that Loreis04 has a bit of selective reading. I pretty much doubt a real life doctor (and by the way that does mean he has an actual job) plays for 15 hours a day or is a child and I find your claim of being an "actual adult" questionable from both you ridiculous post and the fact that you felt the need to say it. Funny how people like you only read and hear what they want to and add in their own bit of ignorance.
You want to complain how it is not easy enough for what you are paying? I wouldn't be paying this much for a game that is too easy and could be completed in a week’s time with only a couple hours a day of playing. That would be a waste of my time and money. Anyone, no matter what age should be able to evolve and grow with the game. If they don't like how hard the other worlds are, they should stay in Unicorn Way.
And for someone who wants to fuss so much about negativity, maybe you should use less name calling "Sparky". You are not well spoken. You are not clever. You do not have much of a personality. You are the one who seems to need a stick removed. You also seem to be the one who has nothing to do all day. Being "sarcastic" is not a job.
I agree with Unicornmage 100%. There are other games out there, that I am sure are even free, that will allow the player to not have to deal with a challenge, teamwork or critical thinking. That will just let them run around talking to other players, play simply mini game quest and let them buy stuff for their houses. Wizard101 is offering you more than that. Just because it is a "game" with "cute horsies" doesn't mean it has to be easy. If a player on this game doesn't like this game, no one is obligating them to play it
I fail to see how you could think this post is an attack on casual players. He is attacking no one. He is making a valid argument towards casual players who take a challenge and get mad about it being challenging.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
I can't agree with anyone here, The game is for fun it's not to be taken so seriously. If you want to waste your life spending all time on a game then go find another game. This isn't a joke its the real world. and right now the real world is more important than a game. Keep your spiteful comments to yourself not everyone is a "hardcore" gamer like you. I agree KingsIsle did nothing wrong but try to display your opinions in less of a hostile mood. This is a "family game" this means the game is for all ages, casual family gaming.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Fleedragon on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Wow! I think it is funny that Loreis04 has a bit of selective reading. I pretty much doubt a real life doctor (and by the way that does mean he has an actual job) plays for 15 hours a day or is a child and I find your claim of being an "actual adult" questionable from both you ridiculous post and the fact that you felt the need to say it. Funny how people like you only read and hear what they want to and add in their own bit of ignorance.
You want to complain how it is not easy enough for what you are paying? I wouldn't be paying this much for a game that is too easy and could be completed in a week’s time with only a couple hours a day of playing. That would be a waste of my time and money. Anyone, no matter what age should be able to evolve and grow with the game. If they don't like how hard the other worlds are, they should stay in Unicorn Way.
And for someone who wants to fuss so much about negativity, maybe you should use less name calling "Sparky". You are not well spoken. You are not clever. You do not have much of a personality. You are the one who seems to need a stick removed. You also seem to be the one who has nothing to do all day. Being "sarcastic" is not a job.
I agree with Unicornmage 100%. There are other games out there, that I am sure are even free, that will allow the player to not have to deal with a challenge, teamwork or critical thinking. That will just let them run around talking to other players, play simply mini game quest and let them buy stuff for their houses. Wizard101 is offering you more than that. Just because it is a "game" with "cute horsies" doesn't mean it has to be easy. If a player on this game doesn't like this game, no one is obligating them to play it
I fail to see how you could think this post is an attack on casual players. He is attacking no one. He is making a valid argument towards casual players who take a challenge and get mad about it being challenging.
so i take it your a hard core player who has nothing to do all day and spends his parents money on this game(witch would mean you dont care if you pay)?

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
The Whistler on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:

Welcome to a Challenge!

i dont think you get what some people are trying to say. they dont want an easy breezy world they want a challenge but not a hard core player challenge. now if you respond your probally gonna tell me how im immature and a whiner and how i hate azteca and dont appreaciate anything, but thats just the oppiste of what i am, i am very glad that KI made another world in the same year as they did avalon. i myself am a very skilled player(still wearing ww gear thanks to ki though) and at first azteca was the right difficulty but once you get to alto alto the challenge takes a leap foward and instead of relaxation you get more work and stress(although you seem to enjoy it). but in the very end it comes down to shear opinion of how difficult the world and enjoyable the world is. however in your case you seem to think that if anyone doesnt think azteca is awesome than there inmature and ignorant(plus everything else you said). plz take into consideration other peoples opinions(and facts).

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Why such hostility, wizards? Can't we all rejoice in the new world, a fresh challenge, beautiful scenery, and, FINALLY, awesome new outfits?

As a long-time, hardcore YET casual player I LOVE the new world, I LOVE the challenges, and I LOVE that I might actually die in battle if I'm not well-prepared. I LOVE to feel my skill-set stretching to meet the challenge.

Every new world presents the need to tweak a deck, craft a ring, train a pet, or otherwise innovate. That's part of the pleasure humans get from all games: a knotty problem to solve, for the sheer pleasure of solving it!

I wouldn't have Azteca any other way (even though I did find a boss I couldn't solo the first time through). How awesome is that ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, could everyone lay off the sarcasm and personal attacks? It's harshing this Theurgist's mellow.

Warmest Regards,

Iridian ShadowWeaver, Archmage Theurgist

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Canny B Moone on Nov 21, 2012 wrote:
Why such hostility, wizards? Can't we all rejoice in the new world, a fresh challenge, beautiful scenery, and, FINALLY, awesome new outfits?

As a long-time, hardcore YET casual player I LOVE the new world, I LOVE the challenges, and I LOVE that I might actually die in battle if I'm not well-prepared. I LOVE to feel my skill-set stretching to meet the challenge.

Every new world presents the need to tweak a deck, craft a ring, train a pet, or otherwise innovate. That's part of the pleasure humans get from all games: a knotty problem to solve, for the sheer pleasure of solving it!

I wouldn't have Azteca any other way (even though I did find a boss I couldn't solo the first time through). How awesome is that ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, could everyone lay off the sarcasm and personal attacks? It's harshing this Theurgist's mellow.

Warmest Regards,

Iridian ShadowWeaver, Archmage Theurgist
well for the first time ever for me i am taking a break from wizards 101, and why? because i did test realm and all the quest and bosses were just work not fun!

Survivor
May 24, 2009
wow I don't know. the guy who made the original post was a little rude and what gweedoboy was saying about the game taking a leap when you get to alto alto is exactly right.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2012
gweedoboy on Nov 22, 2012 wrote:
well for the first time ever for me i am taking a break from wizards 101, and why? because i did test realm and all the quest and bosses were just work not fun!
Isn't a game work in the first place? You gotta think what you need to do and the best way to defeat your opponent. The game eventually needs to get harder. The max level is lvl 90. The difficulty has to increase and not stay the same as in Unicorn way. It may be hard but not impossible, to me it seems like you people just want EVERYTHING handed to you without actually working for it, which is not the case here. You want an easier game, without any kind of challenge? then be my guest and go play some other game. You don't like the way Wizard101 is heading, then why are you still playing it? I personally enjoy the challenge that the game has, I find it more fun than being able to one hit my opponents. How about you?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
The game should not be 'work'. People work enough during the day and want to come home to something that is relaxing, magical, and enjoying. The worlds should get more difficult, but not the leaps and bounds it has taken. The gap between the players and the mobs/bosses increase with each new world since Dragonspyre, without any appropriate gear to help compensate.

It should not be so much work, it should not be so stressful, it should be FUN. Wizard101 is a casual game that is for everyone, young and old, and it is advertised as such. If someone wants hardcore, then there are other games out there that cater to them, but we need to leave W101 alone in it's casualness. It can still be fun and challenging, but not overboard, which is what it's becoming.

Unfortunately, some individuals see the game only from their own perspective, without looking at the variety of people that do play the game as a whole. People have different skill-sets. There are those with brain damage that have a difficult time with strategy in Azteca, as well as those who have difficulty with dexterity, and many others who have other physical and mental problems. Are we going to leave them behind, and tell them they have to find another casual game? NO, we shouldn't do that. Gradual increase in difficulty, yet. Leaps and bounds, no.

Please don't be rude and belittle people just because many find the game more and more difficult and frustrating to play.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Excellent post from UnicormMage.

I'm still in Avalon. I am defintely a casual online gamer. I originally played played with my very young daughter, and still do. She's in Krokotopia and will likely never make it to Marleybone. She is happy. I let her play other worlds with my high leveled wizard.

Point is, it's inevitable that as a game gets progressively more difficult some players will reach a frustration point and become unable to progress. Time comittment, overall interest, and skills. UnicornMage is not being rude, just brutally honest and realistic. He is discussing difficulty... not enjoyability.

When I read the message boards I see some people complaining about difficulty level in Marleybone. Tons of complaints about difficulty in Celestia.

I think the more valid complaints may be around repitition, rewards, and sometimes lack of variety. As a big fan of old school D&D and RPG I would like to see more variety such that characters ca achieve a greater level of customization. In the higher worlds we are very limited in suitable outfits and gear. So not much variety. I rather pick and choose gear like we could in the lower wizard levels. And I rather see awesome in-game stuff available as rewards after really tough challenges, not just purchased in crown shop. I want to play a game, not a barbie dress-up app for crowns. (I would gladly pay more for membership to get rid of the crown shop and move items in-game, but thats just me, and also off topic so lets not argue)

Lots of great games are really hard work, but its okay because the perceived rewards are there. If the rewards aren't good enough then its just a waste of time.

Explorer
May 02, 2011