Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The choice of playing the Hero or villain.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 08, 2009
This game has many great aspects such as the intriguing character and the combat within the game combines strategic calculations along with the luck of the draw concept is imagination and creativity at its finest. This game is a wonderful, new and creative idea with many merits, I would like to talk to you about an idea that could add to the running list of achievements held by wizard101. Each time I play the game, whenever there are moments such as Morganthe asking my character to join her and I could not. That left me with the feeling that my character was not truly my own, which in turn left me yearning for a choice. I believe the purpose of a character is to reflect yourself or an emotion you are feeling at the time for example. This person is unhappy or angry at something and wished to let his feelings out, one of the best ways to do that is put those feeling in a character who turns out to be a villain, this is most beneficial since you are transferring those bitter emotions into some fun, enjoyable and harmless which has been proven to relieve you of negative feeling while if you create a character with positive emotions it heightens them. This is why I believe wizard101 should allow players to have the choice to choose whether to play a heroic or villainous character. There are many ways they could take this concept and bring it to a new level. I am going to give you an example of how this concept could be produced. The game will start off the same way for all characters in Wizard City but when you finish fighting the final boss in Wizard City Malistaire appears before you impressed by what you have accomplished and offers you a chance to join him. If the player accepts his invitation the character will then be given a spiral key to a new world where the character will receive a new set of teachers while Malistaire would be the person that you would receive your main quest from untell his defeat by the young wizard who they call the saviour of the spiral, then you are later contacted by Morganthe who takes the place of Malistaire. There are endless potentialities with this concept some of which could alter PVP so it would be a hero vs villain match up. All players will work in the same words except the world that shall become the villains version of Ravenwood, but there will be certain areas that only villainous characters can enter, same thang with the heroic side, for example, Malistaire dose does not trust the competence of the O'Leary gang and would like the player to oversee a raid of Newgate Prison or something of the like. Now how about side quest and won't they have to add more creatures to the game well there is a fix for that. They must add characters to give side quest and some new creatures but they do not have to create completely too many sperate areas for example you receive a quest from some O'Leary asking you to gather some gears from the clockworks. These are just the possibilities of what could be done.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Aganos32 on Jun 8, 2015 wrote:
This game has many great aspects such as the intriguing character and the combat within the game combines strategic calculations along with the luck of the draw concept is imagination and creativity at its finest. This game is a wonderful, new and creative idea with many merits, I would like to talk to you about an idea that could add to the running list of achievements held by wizard101. Each time I play the game, whenever there are moments such as Morganthe asking my character to join her and I could not. That left me with the feeling that my character was not truly my own, which in turn left me yearning for a choice. I believe the purpose of a character is to reflect yourself or an emotion you are feeling at the time for example. This person is unhappy or angry at something and wished to let his feelings out, one of the best ways to do that is put those feeling in a character who turns out to be a villain, this is most beneficial since you are transferring those bitter emotions into some fun, enjoyable and harmless which has been proven to relieve you of negative feeling while if you create a character with positive emotions it heightens them. This is why I believe wizard101 should allow players to have the choice to choose whether to play a heroic or villainous character. There are many ways they could take this concept and bring it to a new level. I am going to give you an example of how this concept could be produced. The game will start off the same way for all characters in Wizard City but when you finish fighting the final boss in Wizard City Malistaire appears before you impressed by what you have accomplished and offers you a chance to join him. If the player accepts his invitation the character will then be given a spiral key to a new world where the character will receive a new set of teachers while Malistaire would be the person that you would receive your main quest from untell his defeat by the young wizard who they call the saviour of the spiral, then you are later contacted by Morganthe who takes the place of Malistaire. There are endless potentialities with this concept some of which could alter PVP so it would be a hero vs villain match up. All players will work in the same words except the world that shall become the villains version of Ravenwood, but there will be certain areas that only villainous characters can enter, same thang with the heroic side, for example, Malistaire dose does not trust the competence of the O'Leary gang and would like the player to oversee a raid of Newgate Prison or something of the like. Now how about side quest and won't they have to add more creatures to the game well there is a fix for that. They must add characters to give side quest and some new creatures but they do not have to create completely too many sperate areas for example you receive a quest from some O'Leary asking you to gather some gears from the clockworks. These are just the possibilities of what could be done.
I'm a fan of Light/Dark choices, but there are major problems with this:

1. It wasn't added from the beginning.
2. Too much work for KI. But as George McFly of Back to the Future once said: "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."

3. What about existing wizards? They can't be automatically "heroes" or else people will rage. Vice versa with automatically evil.

If there's some way to overcome these difficulties, I fully support this idea.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Definitely an interesting concept but entirely unreasonable in the current structure of the game. Virtually every quest in the game's story-line has to do with the eventual defeat of the Dark Forces who are at work to corrupt the Spiral. A sweeping change to the game would have to take place to even begin to accomplish what you propose, not just the addition of a few alternate story-line quests. At least that's the way it would have to be in order to maintain some semblance of continuity in the story-line. If you look at some other games that offer the option of taking the good or bad side of things, there's always a negative impact on the functionality of the game-play when choosing the bad side. One old example is Wing Commander Privateer. The hype for the game intimated that you could choose to be a law abiding trader, a mercenary for hire or a pirate. The problem was that if you chose to be a pirate you were a hunted man no matter where you went in the universe. Your reputation preceded you and whatever law enforcement body having jurisdiction was automatically out to bring you down. That concept is fine as long as you're talking about an open-ended game with no ultimate goal but in the case of W101 there is a goal which is the ultimate salvation of the Spiral. I do like the idea of being on the dark side of things for a change but unfortunately I think it would require an entirely new game. What you propose would have you fighting alongside the "good guys" in dungeon battles when in actuality most of those battles you shouldn't really have to fight as a "bad guy".

Survivor
May 08, 2009
I have a solution and an explanation for each of those problems. Let's start with the fist problem "It wasn't added from the beginning". To solve this problem we must simply look into the past, There once was a game that started off being only about superheroes untell several years afterwards they developed a villains side of the game after the heroes side was heavily developed. This was a very intrepid movement that was greatly awarded. That shows that this is possible to do even when the game is heavily developed. Here is my explanation for next problem "Too much work for KI" Wizard101 is a large game and to change the simplest things may look like a difficult task, so we need to look at this from a different standpoint. They may need to create a new world but if this also takes place in existing worlds, the foundations are already there so the hardest part will be wrighting dialogue and creating side quest along with the main quest line. Finally, "What about existing wizards? They can't be automatically "heroes" or else people will rage. Vice versa with automatically evil". I believe that all existing characters should remain, heroes and here is my reasoning for it. The notion that makes people most reluctant to make a new character is haveing to go through the main quest line again, where there are no more surprises waiting for you. This offers a new quest line along with a different viewpoint on the characters you have come to know, which will give you the feeling of play the game for the first time where there are surprises at every turn and I also doubt that many people will rage over not being able to switch the moral of their high-level characters. In conclusion, I believe that this could be done with less difficulty than you might think. Also, they could encourage people to acquire a membership with this concept.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Aganos32 on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:
I have a solution and an explanation for each of those problems. Let's start with the fist problem "It wasn't added from the beginning". To solve this problem we must simply look into the past, There once was a game that started off being only about superheroes untell several years afterwards they developed a villains side of the game after the heroes side was heavily developed. This was a very intrepid movement that was greatly awarded. That shows that this is possible to do even when the game is heavily developed. Here is my explanation for next problem "Too much work for KI" Wizard101 is a large game and to change the simplest things may look like a difficult task, so we need to look at this from a different standpoint. They may need to create a new world but if this also takes place in existing worlds, the foundations are already there so the hardest part will be wrighting dialogue and creating side quest along with the main quest line. Finally, "What about existing wizards? They can't be automatically "heroes" or else people will rage. Vice versa with automatically evil". I believe that all existing characters should remain, heroes and here is my reasoning for it. The notion that makes people most reluctant to make a new character is haveing to go through the main quest line again, where there are no more surprises waiting for you. This offers a new quest line along with a different viewpoint on the characters you have come to know, which will give you the feeling of play the game for the first time where there are surprises at every turn and I also doubt that many people will rage over not being able to switch the moral of their high-level characters. In conclusion, I believe that this could be done with less difficulty than you might think. Also, they could encourage people to acquire a membership with this concept.
Valid points, both of you.

For TusconWizard:

I'm not questioning (that much), but I am a little skeptical about that. Seem very weird that a game gives you the choice to be evil and then throw all the law there is right at your face.

However, the games I have played don't have this problem, because the "no fight areas" are usually based on your alignment. Can't have an enemy just roaming the Commons or a wizard taking a leisurely stroll through Morganthe's house.

- - - - -- - - - -- - - - - -

As for Aganos:

1. If it was as rewarding as you made it sound, then I see no problem.

2. I guess the foundations are there, but programing a large expansion for 13 worlds (counting Grizzleheim and Wintertusk separately) sounds kind of hard. Also there should be a new world or an expansion to a Villain world to make up for Wysteria. Even if it was in trouble, to main reason you were sent there was to win a tournament.

3. I've been persuaded regarding that matter.

- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you have the time, maybe look into this thread:

Ok, I have no idea why the hyperlink isn't showing up. The thread is called:

Khrysalis Academy - Help Morganthe Today!

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Max Sterling on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:

For TusconWizard:

I'm not questioning (that much), but I am a little skeptical about that. Seem very weird that a game gives you the choice to be evil and then throw all the law there is right at your face.

However, the games I have played don't have this problem, because the "no fight areas" are usually based on your alignment. Can't have an enemy just roaming the Commons or a wizard taking a leisurely stroll through Morganthe's house.

As for Aganos:

2. I guess the foundations are there, but programing a large expansion for 13 worlds (counting Grizzleheim and Wintertusk separately) sounds kind of hard. Also there should be a new world or an expansion to a Villain world to make up for Wysteria. Even if it was in trouble, to main reason you were sent there was to win a tournament.

I would like to point out that this post inspired mine, I kind of stole it from multiple places including here & my own brain.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Max Sterling on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:

For TusconWizard:

As for Aganos:

Well Max, your solution illustrates the very problem I pointed out. You mention "no fight areas" which don't exist within the current structure of the game. Anyone allied with Malistaire or Morganthe is an outlaw and would be dealt with accordingly if there were an all encompassing policing force in the Spiral. But there isn't, so that responsibility rests with the students of Ambrose and all of the other "good guys". And this is the whole mechanic of W101. You, aka good guy vs. them, aka bad guys.
In the game I used as a reference, there is a well defined interplanetary civilization governed by laws that are enforced by agents of the government. In W101 there is no such organized force so it falls upon the students (agents) of Ambrose to enforce the rule of law. By this standard, any good guy would have to attack, or otherwise deal with any bad guy. This would require an entire re-write of the game.
And by the way, Privateer isn't the only example. There have been a number of games over the years that have made the same claim and virtually all of them are gone because they were never truly succesful. Some of them had something like you describe as a "no fight area"... the equivalent of a hide out or pirate's cove... where all the folks who opted for the criminal path were able to congregate safely. But the moment you left that area you were fair game for any police or militia or bounty hunter that decided they wanted to add your notch to their belt. And this made it virtually impossible to prosper as a criminal because the moment you showed your face you were a target. It would really be an interesting way to play but it requires a whole new mechanic in order for it to function properly.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
TucsonWizard on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:
Definitely an interesting concept but entirely unreasonable in the current structure of the game. Virtually every quest in the game's story-line has to do with the eventual defeat of the Dark Forces who are at work to corrupt the Spiral. A sweeping change to the game would have to take place to even begin to accomplish what you propose, not just the addition of a few alternate story-line quests. At least that's the way it would have to be in order to maintain some semblance of continuity in the story-line. If you look at some other games that offer the option of taking the good or bad side of things, there's always a negative impact on the functionality of the game-play when choosing the bad side. One old example is Wing Commander Privateer. The hype for the game intimated that you could choose to be a law abiding trader, a mercenary for hire or a pirate. The problem was that if you chose to be a pirate you were a hunted man no matter where you went in the universe. Your reputation preceded you and whatever law enforcement body having jurisdiction was automatically out to bring you down. That concept is fine as long as you're talking about an open-ended game with no ultimate goal but in the case of W101 there is a goal which is the ultimate salvation of the Spiral. I do like the idea of being on the dark side of things for a change but unfortunately I think it would require an entirely new game. What you propose would have you fighting alongside the "good guys" in dungeon battles when in actuality most of those battles you shouldn't really have to fight as a "bad guy".
Good point TucsonWizard but remember the possibles are limitless and don't forget even if you are playing a villain the dose not mean Malistair or Morganthe will succeed in the end. Villains, will most likely have their own set of dungeons on their own, but places like the Waterworks and sempai dungeons like that could be available for everyone except they receive the quest from someone else and instead of trying to stop the villains plans they just want the treasure for them selfs.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Aganos32 on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
Good point TucsonWizard but remember the possibles are limitless and don't forget even if you are playing a villain the dose not mean Malistair or Morganthe will succeed in the end. Villains, will most likely have their own set of dungeons on their own, but places like the Waterworks and sempai dungeons like that could be available for everyone except they receive the quest from someone else and instead of trying to stop the villains plans they just want the treasure for them selfs.
The possibilities are limited by the amount of new code the folks at KI are willing to write. Sure, there are numerous areas where the good and bad can fight alongside towards a common goal. Treasure, like you mention, is one example. But outside of those areas there's little left in common with those that follow the polar opposite paths of good or bad. That's where the problem arises in attempting to mesh those two totally contrasting story-lines.
Believe me, I want to see what you propose as badly as you do. I love the idea of being able to play the villain leaving a path of broken do-gooders in my wake. I simply feel that in order for that to happen there needs to be a different game...
Warlock 101 anyone?

Survivor
Aug 26, 2011
OH my gosh this is the best idea ever. My friend and I were just talking about this the other day and how cool this could be. So I totally support this idea. Finally i can redo a wizard and not be bored by the same story line over and over!

Survivor
May 15, 2015
yes yes YES this a really good idea I LOVE IT! Get to work on it KI!

Kane StormCrafter lvl 58

Survivor
Aug 26, 2011
I could also see if we don't get to be a villain right away in the game (which I think would be the best option in the game for the fact that you could get to be a villain longer, and get to help malistare and morganithe) but even if we don't get to do that ,Old Cob helped us an he knows who we are so he could pose the question if we wanted to help him take over the spiral , and after that we could go along with him and take over the spiral. But I think the best option would be us being a villain from the beginning! Seriously, from the beginning!

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
TucsonWizard on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
Well Max, your solution illustrates the very problem I pointed out. You mention "no fight areas" which don't exist within the current structure of the game. Anyone allied with Malistaire or Morganthe is an outlaw and would be dealt with accordingly if there were an all encompassing policing force in the Spiral. But there isn't, so that responsibility rests with the students of Ambrose and all of the other "good guys". And this is the whole mechanic of W101. You, aka good guy vs. them, aka bad guys.
In the game I used as a reference, there is a well defined interplanetary civilization governed by laws that are enforced by agents of the government. In W101 there is no such organized force so it falls upon the students (agents) of Ambrose to enforce the rule of law. By this standard, any good guy would have to attack, or otherwise deal with any bad guy. This would require an entire re-write of the game.
And by the way, Privateer isn't the only example. There have been a number of games over the years that have made the same claim and virtually all of them are gone because they were never truly succesful. Some of them had something like you describe as a "no fight area"... the equivalent of a hide out or pirate's cove... where all the folks who opted for the criminal path were able to congregate safely. But the moment you left that area you were fair game for any police or militia or bounty hunter that decided they wanted to add your notch to their belt. And this made it virtually impossible to prosper as a criminal because the moment you showed your face you were a target. It would really be an interesting way to play but it requires a whole new mechanic in order for it to function properly.
I very much apologize for the late response, but I have been unable to get my Internet working, so here goes:

I agreed that Morganthe and Malistaire are indeed outlaws, but IMO Morganthe less than Malistaire. Morganthe wants to rule the empire, assembling an army. Malistaire on the other hand . . . simply wants to revive his wife . . .

And from what I remember, there a few places where bad guys could stroll around:

Wizard City:

Unicorn, Triton, Firecat, and the caves (maybe).

Krokotopia:

*shrug* Don't remember if Malistaire dealed with the Tuts for the Krokonomicon.

Marleybone:

Every hideout related to Meowiarty and thieves you can bribe.

MooShu:

Uh . . . undead hideouts and outlaws? Ninja pigs?

Dragonspyre:

Hey, hey. Let's give bad guys a break, there isn't a safe place for good guys here either.

Celestia:

The many places Morganthe conquered.

Zafaria:

The animals Morganthe corrupted.

Avalon:

Didn't complete it, but since Morganthe is from here, I assume she has plentiful of allies here,

Azteca:

Didn't go there, but I do know the Black Sun (Star Wars name) Necromancers were hired by Morganthe

Krhysalis:

Bad guy base planet (I think)

That's as much as I recall. Haven't gone from Tomb of Storms up in a long time though.

P.S: Whoops, after all that typing found out you meant to suggest a different game . . . . . . Warlock101 is a good name though.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
Why, bro, why?
Why we gotta be the bad guys?
Why can't we just be the good students all the time?
Isn't that the whole point of the entire story? We are the good wizards.
We are supposed to be the good wizards.
Why would we choose to be the bad wizard students?

I'm not going with the option of good or bad wizard student option.
It doesn't make sense. We are supposed to be good wizards.
I prefer the option of good wizard.
Every time.
All the time. That's the story.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
I like the Warlock 101 idea TucsonWizard. Ontheotherside this idea is about giving everyone the choice to play the hero or villain, you may only like to play the hero, but I guarantee there are many people who would love to play the villain.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
I really like the idea! It would be an interesting twist with more freedom of choice for everyone. My list of problems are endless though. Like someone mentioned, can you imagine how much time and effort that would take for KL? Also, I feel like most people would decide to be villains which would mess up the balance. What would the ending story be for villains? Villains aren't supposed to win, the hero's are. We, wizards, are supposed to be the hero's. What would be the difference between light and dark magic? How would PvP work? And so on...
I think that with some more details and brushing up this idea could really work. I support it and will try to follow this topic for more information if we can get the attention of KL to consider.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2013
I am a huge fan of this idea and I think it would be great. The only problem is that everyone who plays would have to start back at the beginning to get the whole experience. Plus, what would all the wizards already made do? Would they all be heroes? All villains? People would get mad over the forced choice. I believe that this could be solved by implementing a prestige system. When you beat the final quest of the game, you get the choice of prestiging, or resetting. You would keep all Non-Auctionable Gear (Crowns Gear + Dropped Gear + Pets) and you could possibly get a small boost in a random stat after every prestige (could restrict these boosts in pvp as to not break pvp even more). After you reset, you could go through the normal tutorial but when you get to the tower, you could interact with Merle or Malistaire to choose your side. Through this, existing players can still use their main characters, and new people can experience the normal storyline first before going to the dark side. I hope you at least look at this idea KI and think about it. It would mean very much to me, the creator of this topic, and all others who agree to know that this idea was at least contemplated, even if tweaked a bit.

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
I like this idea and I have a suggestion for the wizards that were already made! once you get into the game on that WIZARD it asks you Do you want to become good or evil? I support this idea :D

Survivor
May 08, 2009
For every problem, there is a solution and I am sure that the employees of KingsIsle Entertainment could come up with a solution to any of the problems you may think of whether this is integrated into the game or separated into Warlock 101 or Khrysalis Academy - Help Morganthe Today which is an exceptional idea.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2013
I would like to see this but there would have to be a different structure created.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2010
I dont think is a very good idea because i dont think it was made for that and it would turn into like the star wars stuff like do you want to be a villian/hero etc.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
Let's think about this for a moment and look at games that were one sided but have managed to change such as city of heroes and city of villains they were at one time separate games with the same characters and story but managed to create zones where heroes and villains could interact. I am not asking KI to completely alter the game but to simply create a server or possibly a different game for evil characters which will give them many opportunities to have the two side collide if they wish.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2011
TucsonWizard on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:
I found a bit of a work around to this.

Add a new world that sort of changes it, A alternate timeline world basically, One where you said yes, Morganthe rules. And you are a agent of shadow, the storyline could have you fighting the council of light, and eventually, your old friend Ambrose, and Gamma. (Even a couple AI wizards as minions/enemies in the areas.

Heck, five boxes had a few strange events. So why not just do this instead?

Survivor
Mar 17, 2012
I fully support this idea! It is great and I'm sure KI could find I solution to everything we couldn't, as for PvP and other things.. I might have an idea. Keep in mind I've never posted so this might be terrible. if you've ever played Mortal Kombat VS Dc universe you know what I'm talking about. At the very beginning you could choose whether or not you are evil or good when Malistaire attacks the tower. You would then be sent through the the main story as either villain or hero. The Villain's main story would revolve around questing on generally evil worlds (Dragonspyre, Krhysalis, etc.) as well as defending it from hero forces like instead of fighting Malistaire on Dragonspyre, you fight Ambrose on wizard city or something like that. It would then work vice versa on good worlds (WC, Krok., etc.). And then... (here's the cool part) PvP worlds! There would be a hand full of new worlds in between that would serve as PvP worlds. You would enter a spiral gate and fight other wizards for control over a world ( worlds would have outposts, once every outpost was taken by a side on one world, the world would change allegiance) for intance Zafaria could be under constant battling for control. This would be full scale PvP, thus, bringing the great MMO experience full circle.

I know this would have A LOT of kinks to work out but it could be a start!

Thanks,

Aaron Darkblade, lvl 60

Survivor
May 08, 2009
Excellent idea Aaron DarkBlade and after giving it much thought I could not help but to add some detail to your idea, for a PVP world for example Dragonspyre there are four towers. The objective of this is for your side good or evil is to control all four towers and the more you side controls the more the world will change. An example of this will be if both sides control two towers then Dragonspyre will remain as it is when normally but if good gets three towers then lava will start to turn into water and the dark haze will lighten up, now if they get all four the Dragon Titan will no longer be on the volcano nor will there be any haze or lava and a message will appear and say "Dragonspyre is saved from the clutches of the Dragon Titan, the light prevails". The evil wizards have the opposite effect every time they get a tower thangs get worse, if they get three towers the dark haze seems to lower and you can see flashes of lightning as well as hear thunder also it appears to rain scales as the Dragon Titan starts to wake, now if they get the fourth tower the Dragon Titan disappears from the volcano and is seen in the sky right under the dark haze glaring at the world below, a message also appears saying " The Dragon Titan has awakened, Dragonspyre is forever doomed, the darkness had succeeded". I also thought of a few more additions, There will be two factions the Dragonspyre resistance who will be working with the good wizards while the Titan army will be working with the evil wizards, not only will there be a general that you can revive quest from but soldiers from both sides will wonder the streets. The rule to this is that the Titan army soldiers will not attack evil wizards while the Dragonspyre resistance will which will be the opposite for good wizards also wizard can not attack each other unless if they are in a tower or if a good wizard is in a fight with a Titan army soldier then an evil wizard may jump in the same also goes for the good wizards.