Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat Menu and Text Chat Conversation Conflicts

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 19, 2012
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but unfortunately, I have been unable to locate anything related to my specific issue.

I have many friends in game that do not have text chat and rely on the chat menu. I have no issues with that. What I find difficult, is trying to speak to them to give them help. I love giving these players the opportunity at hatching as I hear/read so many negative comments towards players without text chat while I'm in the pet pavilion (among other places in game). But KI makes it almost impossible for me to interact with these players such that they can understand what I am trying to say.

For example, just this morning, I had someone wanting to hatch a pet with me. Problem? I couldn't ask them which pet of mine they wished to hatch with, couldn't explain that their pet needed to be an adult pet before we could hatch, could not indicate to them that they needed to read a certain section of the game guide to better understand the hatching process. All the options are "I need, I want, I like...". There are no options for a player to tell the other player, "You need, You have to, You are...".

In real life, I am a teacher and a parent. Ask any parent and they should agree with me that you need to direct children where to find the help they need not to mention how to ask for help. This information must often be repeated before it becomes second nature to them. A one time quest about how the pet pavilion is not very helpful for most children, especially if that child is not one that is comfortable with reading to begin with.

As most of the players using Chat Menu are young kids, they need to be reminded of things they learned at an earlier level that didn't seem very relevant to them at the time.

I think if a second option were offered to indicate the change in subject (You, instead of I), that this issue would be easily resolved. Also perhaps a pop up notice for people with chat menu wanting to hatch that would remind them that they need to have an adult pet to do so, and then a reminder that they need to train that pet and how to do so.

There you have it. That's my 2 cents on the issue. It will be interesting to see if KI takes a serious look at chat suggestions that try to improve communications instead of restricting them before they try to introduce yet another way for us to spend our money in the crown shop or on bundles.

Moira Darksword
Lvl 95 Promethean Necromancer

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Angelic One on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but unfortunately, I have been unable to locate anything related to my specific issue.

I have many friends in game that do not have text chat and rely on the chat menu. I have no issues with that. What I find difficult, is trying to speak to them to give them help. I love giving these players the opportunity at hatching as I hear/read so many negative comments towards players without text chat while I'm in the pet pavilion (among other places in game). But KI makes it almost impossible for me to interact with these players such that they can understand what I am trying to say.

For example, just this morning, I had someone wanting to hatch a pet with me. Problem? I couldn't ask them which pet of mine they wished to hatch with, couldn't explain that their pet needed to be an adult pet before we could hatch, could not indicate to them that they needed to read a certain section of the game guide to better understand the hatching process. All the options are "I need, I want, I like...". There are no options for a player to tell the other player, "You need, You have to, You are...".

In real life, I am a teacher and a parent. Ask any parent and they should agree with me that you need to direct children where to find the help they need not to mention how to ask for help. This information must often be repeated before it becomes second nature to them. A one time quest about how the pet pavilion is not very helpful for most children, especially if that child is not one that is comfortable with reading to begin with.

As most of the players using Chat Menu are young kids, they need to be reminded of things they learned at an earlier level that didn't seem very relevant to them at the time.

I think if a second option were offered to indicate the change in subject (You, instead of I), that this issue would be easily resolved. Also perhaps a pop up notice for people with chat menu wanting to hatch that would remind them that they need to have an adult pet to do so, and then a reminder that they need to train that pet and how to do so.

There you have it. That's my 2 cents on the issue. It will be interesting to see if KI takes a serious look at chat suggestions that try to improve communications instead of restricting them before they try to introduce yet another way for us to spend our money in the crown shop or on bundles.

Moira Darksword
Lvl 95 Promethean Necromancer
I'm not a parent, but I agree completely with this.

Chat needs a revamp, and has for some time. Hatching and cheating bosses are the worst, because there is no way for us to effectively communicate with the kids who have to rely on the menu chat.

I ran Waterworks the other day and got teamed with 2 other wizards: one text, and one menu chat. When we got to the first cheating boss, the text-chatter said to me, "gosh, I hope this guy knows what he's doing or else we're gonna have to start the whole thing over'. So I tried to communicate, as efficiently as the system would allow~ fortunately, he seemed to have a pretty good idea of what was going on (either he'd done it before or had researched beforehand) and we finished the dungeon. But a lot of it was spent holding my breath, wondering if he would somehow trigger the cheats because I had no way to explain to him what they were and what would trigger them.

I have a niece and nephew, ages 2 and 4 respectively; my friend's 5-year-old daughter occasionally plays the game with me as well (because Dr. Von is an awesome babysitter) and has menu chat. Children need repetition in order to remember things, and the help they need should be easily accessible. I hope that KI will read this and make some much-needed additions to the menu-chat phrase list.

-von

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I agree, the menu chatting system needs to be improved. it is seriously lacking in any usable form of communication for ANYTHING beyond, "I like your pet", "good girl", "yes", etc. it's the most broken way of talking (in general). The popup menu style system seems like it's trying to be everything to everyone, and is failing on all counts. however, in fairness, popup menus can only take you so far. We all have heard the stories of the chat system not being effective, filtering words that the game uses, bad chat menus, etc and I have to mirror them all.

It's a good start, but needs an improvement, in a way I unfortunately can't help with

Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
I think a better solution would be they can see text chat but can't type it out.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2014
I got the perfect solution! Get rid of Menu Chat altogether and make a Text Chat system for younger kids under 13 years old. They can't see words like slang as you want the children to learn how to write correctly and improve them in their skills like writing. Besides, those younger kids don't text yet so maybe we could rename it to Child Chat. I would also like improvements to Text like saying social sites but you can't mention your name unless you do this. It would be like a phrase thing for Text Chatters and you can pick a phrase like this so you can type it out without being red. It would work out like this. My username/name is (insert user/name here) on (insert social site) here. The thing is, that the sites would be KI verified to be family friendly cause someone may mention a 18+ site and you get the idea. What a Nightmare would that be!
#FixChatSystems

Administrator
We appreciate that our Text Chat players want to communicate more with Menu Chat players, however we will continue to protect the privacy of our younger players as we are legally required to.

We do continually adapt the Menu Chat system to make it more flexible for appropriate in-game communication, and appreciate your suggestions.

Posting social media sites and other out-of-game communication options is considered sharing personal information and will result in an account sanction such as the removal of chat privileges.

community@wizard101.com