Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Give the players a Choice in pet talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2010
I know kingsilse you have been shady for some time with the pet system, i would like if you made more straightforward statistics for Pet hatching. Like if you train thus or such attribute you may have a higher chance to get this talent. Or we may get to CHOOSE which talent we want at level. I believe this has been an issue for a longtime, that pirate101 addressed it. Please listen and try to reform the pet system.
Paul Frostfinder - 4 year veteren Ice wizard.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Paul FrostFinder on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
I know kingsilse you have been shady for some time with the pet system, i would like if you made more straightforward statistics for Pet hatching. Like if you train thus or such attribute you may have a higher chance to get this talent. Or we may get to CHOOSE which talent we want at level. I believe this has been an issue for a longtime, that pirate101 addressed it. Please listen and try to reform the pet system.
Paul Frostfinder - 4 year veteren Ice wizard.
Maybe you could spend like a certain amount of crowns per the amount of experience needed to earn the talent. To choose the talents would cost this:

Baby-Teen - 125 crowns, 1,250 gold.
Teen-Adult - 250 crowns, 2,500 gold.
Adult-Ancient - 500 crowns, 5,000 gold.
Ancient-Epic - 1,000 crowns, 10,000 gold.
Epic-Mega - 2,000 crowns, 20,000 gold.

Except for fixed talents, like winter owl getting Guardian Wall at teen.

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
that would be great. i'm annoyed with hatching for a starfish and not getting spritely

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
I agree. I don't train my pets in real life to do things I wouldn't want them to do, so why would we do this in Wizard101? Since this has been addressed to KI so many times, without it actually happening, I doubt it will happen, but it would be so cool if it did.

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
Ki please give people a choice in pet talents. When people waste time and money on pets and don't get the pet traits that the pet can learn people will either stop buying pets or continue to spend more money and have a chance to go through the same thing until they stop spending money on pets but some people will continue to spend money and use a lot of time until they get what they want which will take a lot of time and effort. So ki please make this change

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
skull98oo on Feb 24, 2014 wrote:
Ki please give people a choice in pet talents. When people waste time and money on pets and don't get the pet traits that the pet can learn people will either stop buying pets or continue to spend more money and have a chance to go through the same thing until they stop spending money on pets but some people will continue to spend money and use a lot of time until they get what they want which will take a lot of time and effort. So ki please make this change
Why would they change this? It would only cost KI money. People would all get their perfect pet first go and then never spend a cent on pets / snacks / seeds again.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Blaze Sandblade on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
Maybe you could spend like a certain amount of crowns per the amount of experience needed to earn the talent. To choose the talents would cost this:

Baby-Teen - 125 crowns, 1,250 gold.
Teen-Adult - 250 crowns, 2,500 gold.
Adult-Ancient - 500 crowns, 5,000 gold.
Ancient-Epic - 1,000 crowns, 10,000 gold.
Epic-Mega - 2,000 crowns, 20,000 gold.

Except for fixed talents, like winter owl getting Guardian Wall at teen.
As someone who spends hours each day hatching, training, gardening, and farming for gold, I see no need for this, easier faster way. Neither the picking of talents, nor the cost in gold to do it.

I've managed to take a pet with more selfish than good talents(Enchanted rmament), and over the course of a few months, bred him until he's damn near perfect. His talent pool consists of
1. May Cast dragonblade
2. May Cast Towershield
3. Spell Proof
4. mana Gift
5. Spritely
6. Spell Defy
7. Fairy Friend
8. Unicorn
9. Deer Knight Rises
10. May Cast Hex

Any 5 of these talents woudl constitute a "perfect pet", and I didn' thave to go begging to KI to let me CHOOSE what 5 talents I get for an hour's worth of farming gold.

If you don't want to put the time and effort inot getting the perfect pet, you'll never understand the feeling of acomplishment upon finally raising one.
I have 4 Wizards on my Main Account, and I'm sitting with about 11 Armaments who all have fairy/Spritely/Proof/Deer knight along with a random 5th talent. I never complained when a selfish came up, I just went back and started again. It literally took me months, but once I did it, I can say for 99.9% sure what each and every talent my Pet will get is.
I've even managed to get the majority to manifest in the same order each pet.

I personally see this post as the lazy way out.

Seethe, I agree totally, it would be absolutyely rediculous for KI to impliment something like this, as it would only cost them income over the long run.

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
most people think this is a bad idea so how about the pet has to be a specific level like may cast heals for epic if we want to choose

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
The best thing ki could do is offer one service to pet owners. If you have a current mega pet and would like to activate its 6th talent it will cost you 2000 crowns and its opened up. No training the pet etc.. the pet has to be mega already. Other than that there is no need to change the pet system, yes we all know its annoying but any combination is possible with the right hatching going on. If you dont know each slot even the unknown then your doing it wrong :) self hatching is the way to go.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I'm not bothered if other players have perfect pets; or paid to get them that way upfront.

People pay breeders in real life to get animals with specific traits; so why can't players in W101!

I've spent years investing a tremendous amount of time and money training eleven pets to Mega, and dozens more to ancient. And after spending years doing this, I welcome the choice to pay upfront what specific talents my pets can have.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
This is a good idea, but I highly doubt it'll ever happen. They'll lose a lot of money unless they charge an equivalent amount to choose your talents. As Seethe said, they'll continue to lose money because people would spend money once, or once per Wizard and be done with their pets.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Matthew Raven 55 on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
This is a good idea, but I highly doubt it'll ever happen. They'll lose a lot of money unless they charge an equivalent amount to choose your talents. As Seethe said, they'll continue to lose money because people would spend money once, or once per Wizard and be done with their pets.
Actually you and Seethe are incorrect.

Other than in-game gold to hatch pets, I don't spend crowns on them, plus, other than spending a bit of crowns (more than two years ago) on mega snack plants along with farming dungeons for them, I haven't spent crowns on snacks/pets/seeds in quite some time. I currently have 7,000+ rank 9 mega snacks, several hundred pets, and about 206 EMPs plus other snack generating plants, so I'm pretty self-sufficient.

So, once I had purchased what I needed for my initial cost, I have not needed to buy anything else since.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:

Other than in-game gold to hatch pets, I don't spend crowns on them, plus, other than spending a bit of crowns (more than two years ago) on mega snack plants along with farming dungeons for them, I haven't spent crowns on snacks/pets/seeds in quite some time. I currently have 7,000+ rank 9 mega snacks, several hundred pets, and about 206 EMPs plus other snack generating plants, so I'm pretty self-sufficient.

So, once I had purchased what I needed for my initial cost, I have not needed to buy anything else since.
That's fair and I do the same, but not everyone uses the methods we've used to obtain pets. I'm sure the majority of the player-base (myself included when I was a beginner) purchases a significant amount of Crowns for Mega Snack Pets and Energy Refills. Why else would they continue to sell them at that price if they weren't making money from it? Rather than giving Wizards the ability to choose their pets' talents (something I never see happening), I'd like to propose my own alternative. It'd be nice to be able to feed as many snacks as we'd like at the cost of our energy when prompted to after playing a training game. I think I'll add this idea to a thread I recently made.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:

I don't spend anything on pets either, that doesn't change my point in any way. If you have 206 EMP then you spent crowns on them though. You illustrate our point exactly. You never would have spent those crowns because you never would have needed to garden for snacks or hatch 100's of pets if you could just choose your perfect pet talents first go. You DID spend crownd on snacks/pets/seeds at one time. Even though some of us are capable of being self-sufficient without crowns (I personally prefer my 100's of free couch potatoes from farming), very many players spend a lot of crowns on snacks and potions. KI would lose a huge chunk of money with this idea, we are NOT incorrect about that in any way at all.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
"once I had purchased what I needed for my initial cost"

I see what you did there :DKI is doing well the way things are now. Players can get great pets. It requires time and effort, which is really the point. I've had days I wanted to throw my pet out the window, computer and all, but really the pet system is one of the best designed parts of the game. It shouldn't be changed.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
I don't spend anything on pets either, that doesn't change my point in any way. If you have 206 EMP then you spent crowns on them though. You illustrate our point exactly. You never would have spent those crowns because you never would have needed to garden for snacks or hatch 100's of pets if you could just choose your perfect pet talents first go. You DID spend crownd on snacks/pets/seeds at one time. Even though some of us are capable of being self-sufficient without crowns (I personally prefer my 100's of free couch potatoes from farming), very many players spend a lot of crowns on snacks and potions. KI would lose a huge chunk of money with this idea, we are NOT incorrect about that in any way at all.
Obviously you didn't read my post thoroughly, so you might want to read it again.

---------------------------------------------------

@Paul FrostFinder - The pets you are mentioning .... would the talents you're talking about be the ones that originally came with the pet or ones that have been hatched to have a bunch of cool possible talents?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 25, 2014 wrote:
Obviously you didn't read my post thoroughly, so you might want to read it again.

---------------------------------------------------

@Paul FrostFinder - The pets you are mentioning .... would the talents you're talking about be the ones that originally came with the pet or ones that have been hatched to have a bunch of cool possible talents?
You might want to read them both again. It seems obvious you didn't even read your own.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
However you view KI's Pet Training System; everyone's entitled to their own opinion:

Some are very happy with the current pet training system
Others seek an improved process with faster results

Some believe any change to the existing pet training system would cause KI to lose revenue in the process
Others do not

Some are ok with the existing trial and error method of training to get the right combination of pet spells and talents; however long it takes
Others would love to know in advance what powers their pet gets without wasting time

Some will not pay for mega snacks
Others gladly pay for mega snacks

Some are not willing or able to pay to train and level their pets
Others are willing and able to pay whatever amount is required to train and level their pets

Here's to everyone having and using the pets they want!

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
I know it hard to train pets just so they can fail so they need to make a machine where you can swap pet talents between YOUR pets so all you have to do is train them cause its total bull to train and bam fail wasted time.. and about pets I only have 2 perfect ones but I want to retrain them this is all 6 of the pets I am training

Therizinosaurus: fairy, sprite, proof, defy, and pain so far: sprite, proof , defy, and pain

Wintery elf: same and first so far: unicorn, proof and pain

Crimsonzilla: same as first so far: mc locust and mc pierce

Babydactyl: same as first so far: haven't gotten it yet lol no one has it that I know of

Golden ram: same as first so far: mc fireblade and mc Death trap

Deer knight: same as the first so far: sprite, proof, defy, and death dealer

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
I don't mind training pet but I only have 10 emps and 2 dhes but that's only 12 megas a week even with red barn farm and the tiny items to make it go faster but that only gets me to ancient and there might be a weeks wait of gardening then bam failed pet

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
With Wiki Central i see what talents first generation have but at hybrid is different thing. I want to be able to see hybrid talents at baby level. I would like to know if i am on right track. I got Beta Fish but keeps getting healling current which heals with 149 almost every time and mostly heals only when storm attacks and on top of all that holds 3 Levy and i am myth school and last thing i even irl hate fish so please KI do something. I would train them still if i know at start what i am getting from hatch and not always dead end.

Right now my Beta Fish has this:
- 15% of universal resist
- May cast pierce
- Healling Current ( 149 mostly )

Now tricky part is at mega i invest my time into training and i get idk card Tower Shield but i got already 3 levy and card Tower Shield from my wand i never use them maybe once in while but only cause i got bored at looking them lol. I needed just sprite or fairy but i got sprite by luck on my Fierce Hound but Fierce Hound had " selfish " talents so didnt got heals in long time ( healling current doesn't count ). I just hope something is solved at this matter.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
Sarg042 on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
As someone who spends hours each day hatching, training, gardening, and farming for gold, I see no need for this, easier faster way. Neither the picking of talents, nor the cost in gold to do it.

I've managed to take a pet with more selfish than good talents(Enchanted rmament), and over the course of a few months, bred him until he's damn near perfect. His talent pool consists of
1. May Cast dragonblade
2. May Cast Towershield
3. Spell Proof
4. mana Gift
5. Spritely
6. Spell Defy
7. Fairy Friend
8. Unicorn
9. Deer Knight Rises
10. May Cast Hex

Any 5 of these talents woudl constitute a "perfect pet", and I didn' thave to go begging to KI to let me CHOOSE what 5 talents I get for an hour's worth of farming gold.

If you don't want to put the time and effort inot getting the perfect pet, you'll never understand the feeling of acomplishment upon finally raising one.
I have 4 Wizards on my Main Account, and I'm sitting with about 11 Armaments who all have fairy/Spritely/Proof/Deer knight along with a random 5th talent. I never complained when a selfish came up, I just went back and started again. It literally took me months, but once I did it, I can say for 99.9% sure what each and every talent my Pet will get is.
I've even managed to get the majority to manifest in the same order each pet.

I personally see this post as the lazy way out.

Seethe, I agree totally, it would be absolutyely rediculous for KI to impliment something like this, as it would only cost them income over the long run.
Wait a min lets start from start you got pet with already " perfect talents " question is: How did you find pets with those talents? Cause i dont think you buy all pets with all those talents and just hatched and hatched and hatched and hatched until you got talent you wanted i know for sure it takes minimum 7 hatch with 2 pets to realize that you are on good track make it better 9 times.

So enchanted armament had only universal resist with what pets did you hatched it to get rest of talents they all say yea hatch copy talents it will work lol well it doesn't work if you dont have shortcut like you did with someone pet possible 2 pets with those talents and hatched few times with friends. Some peoples dont have those and if they do they annoy them with gifting with crowns in return i see that i know. Before posting about pets you should write also how did you get to those talents and not just " i got my perfect talents its simple " i readed and searched on 2 computers at once lol and found same as you said now it looks more and more like " i wont tell secret " well i dont need your secret just let me friend your friend and i hatch with him/her i have gold lol

Hope is all " We " got i almost gave up of pets cause no its not cause i am lazy its cause i work to much and don't spend time on game like my second life. Its easy to get talents but order they come its not my favorite i dont want something that just don't belong there and that tiny slip makes me hatch a lot time sometimes is good but sometimes i think its glitch so it wont let me get it. just for fun yesterday i used 200 Dr. Jalapeno and i didnt count how much i used energy potion do math yourself my energy is 90. Peace