Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death at pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 25, 2009
Any tips? I have gotten to veteran with colossal poison spamming but it is getting harder. Any tips on how to pvp better with death? Thanks. :)

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Try Wizard101 Central, they might have some Death Guides. Make sure to read the ones made after Zafaria Release, though.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
there is a lack of death wizards in the arena.. wonder why? cause ki keeps hacking all the death spells.. Ice gets balefrost for extra damage, fire gets wyldfire, and we get what? A bubble that decreases health? We have infection so what is the whole point of that.. We should get a bubble too that does increased damage.. They hack our enhanced half heal spells and most of our defense spells like virtual plague can be wanded off.. That is the problem with death and pvp- we have weak spells and not enough extra damage boost- i'm so sick of ppl saying death stinks- but it's true!!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
there is a lack of death wizards in the arena.. wonder why? cause ki keeps hacking all the death spells.. Ice gets balefrost for extra damage, fire gets wyldfire, and we get what? A bubble that decreases health? We have infection so what is the whole point of that.. We should get a bubble too that does increased damage.. They hack our enhanced half heal spells and most of our defense spells like virtual plague can be wanded off.. That is the problem with death and pvp- we have weak spells and not enough extra damage boost- i'm so sick of ppl saying death stinks- but it's true!!

It's not the school that stinks, it's the players.

First off, Doom & Gloom is an awesome advantage for death, even better than infection. Doom & Gloom keeps your opponents from boosting and healing, while Death's Drain spells work perfectly, allowing death a very good attack and be able to fully heal. So, while death is doing damage and Healing, which happens to be death's specialty, other schools are scrambling to do damage and change Doom & Gloom so they can heal.

Only untrained wizards do not take full advantage of the Doom & Gloom effect that it has for a death wizard.

In addition, for any weakness that is put on a death wizard, death can use Dark Pact for an extra 30% blade, or Empower for more pips, or Sacrifice for healing. Death has a powerful Skeletal Dragon attack for any Death shields that are put up and has Vampire, Wraith, & Kat's Monster for attack and heal spells.

In addition, death has infection, to lower heals even more, and both plagues to truly lower any possible huge attack.

No, I am not sure why some people think Death is weak, because death is not weak in the least, it is one of the most powerful and complex schools there is. What is weak, is people having a strategy for death, so it's easier to just say death is weak than to truly learn how to be good at death.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
You guys are obviously not too experienced in the ways of death (No offence intended). Death is just as reliable in pvp as any other school when used in the hands of a true Necromancer

The following advice is for 1v1 Mainly. On a team I usually take on a more supportive role.

A friend once told me
"Death is not a 1 hit Class, nor is it a stalling class."

What I took from this sentance got me all the way to Warlord,
You don't use traps in high level pvp. death doesn't need them. the point of death is to keep slamming the opponent with attacks. keep them wasting their pips on healing and not letting them build up enough to really attack with. And if you need to heal. use a ghoul if you have to!

But beware the Life wizards, though you can win they can heal alot more often. the duels usually take a few hours!

Also beware of Ice, Their high health will keep them from needing a heal for awhile. so they might build up a few pips at the beginning of the Duel

If you want to see what a Death Warlord deck looks like here are the (average) contents of my deck (they do change from time to time)
5 Gargantuans
5 Monsterous'
7 Dark Sprites
7 Ghouls
7 Death Blades
7 Vampires
7 Poisons
3 Weakness'
4 Animates
3 Virulent Plagues
4 Fortify
4 Amplify
2 Reshuffles
1 Balance blade (amulet)
1 Plague (amulet)
Cursed staff cards

My treasure deck is usually empty. But on occasion I might put a defensive polymorph (gobbler) in it. or a tower or two..

As you can easily see from my deck, I don't use any of my strong cards for PVP, That is because I don't have time to build up 4 powerpips to unleash a skeletal dragon on them. I am much too busy keeping them from building some pips! these spells can easily get around towers and weaknesses without damaging your tactic too much. because alone they aren't so valuable but teamed up they can take down the most fortified of Wizards!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
CoolLucario wrote:
Any tips? I have gotten to veteran with colossal poison spamming but it is getting harder. Any tips on how to pvp better with death? Thanks. :)

CoolLucario,

I would suggest that you search for Darthjt's writeup on Death, it will give you real insite into PvP with Death.
One area I see now and then, is the death deck setup is wrong. If you bring out Doom and Gloom early, have your deck designed to take advantage of it. If you decide to bring it out late, again, design your deck to take advantage of when it's not out, with Skeleton Dragon, etc. Design the deck to take maximun advantage of how you decide to play.

Joe.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
darthjt you have some very true and valid points, however, I have been a death wizard since this game released.. It is NOT my lack of understanding how to properly play a death wizard. I have been a death warlord for 2 years, so the problem is NOT my inexperience with the spells.
Your advice is great for a person going first.. You say use sacrafice to heal- but with doom and gloom, we don't get to heal, and now every school is spamming infection.! Now take going second in a match, every school also is spamming earthquake, without blades death isn't strong, and if someone has a shield on, and you go second, you can't heal with a wraith..

As i Said, you have some good and valid points, BUT, I do have good stratedgy so that isn't the case here.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
darthjt, One last thing I forgot to mention- I just wanted to say Thank you. I re-read your post a few times and realized I had changed my deck around about a month back. Last night after I commented on this post, I played the game and changed a few things in my deck and things are going much smoother. I've been in kind of a bad mood lately, so I hope that didn't come across in my post- your post helped me shake my bad mood, and I need to focus more on what I'm doing. Your post put a lot of things into perspective for me, and I'm back to loving my death girl- thanks for your words, your posts always have helped me in the past, and they helped snap me outta my bad mood too- thanks again.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
darthjt, One last thing I forgot to mention- I just wanted to say Thank you. I re-read your post a few times and realized I had changed my deck around about a month back. Last night after I commented on this post, I played the game and changed a few things in my deck and things are going much smoother. I've been in kind of a bad mood lately, so I hope that didn't come across in my post- your post helped me shake my bad mood, and I need to focus more on what I'm doing. Your post put a lot of things into perspective for me, and I'm back to loving my death girl- thanks for your words, your posts always have helped me in the past, and they helped snap me outta my bad mood too- thanks again.

You are welcome. I am glad you didn't take my post the wrong way, Death is a very complicated school, but is such a good school, if you can truly master everything there is about Death.

Going second is always a disadvantage, for any school, however, you have to learn to anticipate and plan on using combinations. Such as Poison and then a Wraith attack. Or Skeletal Dragon followed by poison, followed by a stun.

I am very happy to hear that you are doing better with your death after some adjustments and that you are in a better mood now. Personally, I like to be a bit gloomy with my Death, cause I gonna make everyone doomed.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
It should be a fact that death is the most complicated school, thats why most necromancers have difficulties in pvp, and it seems only a few can truly comprehend the dynamics of death. I've had a few instants where i found myself at the mercy of a death wizard. I haven't played on my death wizard for ages so i'm a little rusty on death, but form all my experiences as a death wizard, the best possible lesson i learned is patients. Blade up, trap, corner your opponents, ignore weakness and shields, use your dots, and deliver the finishing blow when you know they're at their most vulnerble.