Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Goul vs Absorb

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 21, 2009
The Goul card gives damage, so why doesn't the absorb block for that damage? If it didn't give damage, shown as a negative heart, I could undstand that it steals health.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Ghoul, Vampire, Wraith and Scarecrow are Drain Spells. They do damage and give back health. They have the broken heart symbol.

Spirit Armor AKA Absorb blocks Damage Spells with the fist symbol. Drains just go around Spirit Armor because they are not typical Damage Spells.

Death has Dark Sprite, Skeletal Pirate, Banshee and Skeletal Dragon AKA Bone Dragon that are Damage Spells with the fist symbol. These spells are blocked by Spirit Armor.

Megan

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
MercMissionary wrote:
Why? Its considered an attack. I saw the fist, instead of a heart.

From the Players Manual here: "Health Drain:
These spells do a certain amount of damage. Then return half that damage as healing to the spell caster."

They are considered an attack because they do damage. Megan

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
MercMissionary wrote:
Why? Its considered an attack. I saw the fist, instead of a heart.

Looking at my ghoul card, I see a "broken" heart and a heart. There is no fist on it. The "broken" heart (which I actually see as an "S" through a heart) indicates a life steal card which strictly speaking doesn't deal damage and therefore there is nothing for the spirit shield (or absorb) to absorb. The rationale is that steal spells directly drain the life force from the target vs. "hitting" them with damage, thereby bypassing absorbs such as spirit shield and ice armor.

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
In battle, it shows a fist. I think its just a program error,then if the card shows a broken heart. Just like the Heck Hound shows it does 130 damage per pip, but only does 45 damage.

Defender
Mar 11, 2010
MercMissionary wrote:
In battle, it shows a fist. I think its just a program error,then if the card shows a broken heart. Just like the Heck Hound shows it does 130 damage per pip, but only does 45 damage.

Read the Heckhound card more careful... Absorb does not work against steals ( Ghoul, Vampire, Wraith, Scarecrow, Dr. Von's Monster ).
Absorb only works against damage. Same goes for Frozen Armor and the other ice spell that goes along with it.

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
jekbeau wrote:
MercMissionary wrote:

Read the Heckhound card more careful... Absorb does not work against steals ( Ghoul, Vampire, Wraith, Scarecrow, Dr. Von's Monster ).
Absorb only works against damage. Same goes for Frozen Armor and the other ice spell that goes along with it.

Techicinally, it isn't a steal. The fist, in battle, denotes an attack. It would be different, if it showed a broken heart in battle. But, it doesn't. So, KI needs to fix it.

Defender
Mar 11, 2010
MercMissionary wrote:
jekbeau wrote:
MercMissionary wrote:

Techicinally, it isn't a steal. The fist, in battle, denotes an attack. It would be different, if it showed a broken heart in battle. But, it doesn't. So, KI needs to fix it.

So, are you talking about the Heckhound or the steals?

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
Well, while the steal spells do damadge and restore health, you should notice the absorb spells don't say anything about absorbing steal health attacks. I have a Life wizard so I know what I am talking about. If you want an example of somthing that takes damadge from steal spells, look at the Tower Shield spell. Hope that helps a bit. I admit that it is annoying, but that is how life ( real life ) works :D

Maria Dake LVL 15 and still climbing

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
Absorb doesn't block any death spells
Correction it does n ot block steal spells