Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

if you really want to level....

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
1. Don't try to get people to take you to high level dungeons. Go do your quests.

You'll get levels faster by doing quests and getting the xp from them than you will by bugging friends over and over until you find one to take you to a dungeon you haven't unlocked.

2. Don't skip side quests.

You get really good xp from those side quests, as long as you do them at the level you're supposed to. That means accept and do them as soon as you can. If you put them to the side to do later, the amount of xp you'll get won't be much because you'll be too high in level. You could easily level 3 or 4 levels of xp sitting on the table that you'll never be able to recover.

Also, if you don't do the side quests you could easily get to dragonspyre well before you're supposed to, and be so low in level that you can't solo even the easy enemies.

3. Every time you are given a quest to collect something, check the map in your spellbook and find the icon for the thing you're going to fight. You'll find that a lot of the time, that icon is a long way from where you get the quest AND a long way from where you first run into the type of enemy you have to fight. Go to the area where the icon is anyway, and fight stuff there. You'll collect much, much, MUCH faster.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2011
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
also if you can do wintertusk it is a bit harder but a good representation of the Chines proverd eat bitter tast sweet. meaning that it is hard but worth it xp is unbalivibly (sry for spelling) huge and drops are worth a lot of money i did tree quests lvl up to lvl 52 from lvl 50 and got 12,000 gold when i started with 5,000 gold selling only four items so i sugest you do witertusk when you can.

chase swift hand lvl 52 (almost lvl 53) grandmaster pyromancer

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
1. Don't try to get people to take you to high level dungeons. Go do your quests.

You'll get levels faster by doing quests and getting the xp from them than you will by bugging friends over and over until you find one to take you to a dungeon you haven't unlocked.

Well, its a pretty good way to level if you don't sit around asking until you get lucky. So this is wrong to an extent, change it to "don't run around the commons asking, have a good friend take you and don't waste your time begging if they say no.

You get really good xp from those side quests, as long as you do them at the level you're supposed to. That means accept and do them as soon as you can. If you put them to the side to do later, the amount of xp you'll get won't be much because you'll be too high in level. You could easily level 3 or 4 levels of xp sitting on the table that you'll never be able to recover.

Also, if you don't do the side quests you could easily get to dragonspyre well before you're supposed to, and be so low in level that you can't solo even the easy enemies.

This annoys me to no end becuase its so wildly believed, but so incorrect.

Its faster to level up by SKIPPING side quests if your a good enough player to handle being at a disadvantage level wise. If you skip side quests, you get to the higher XP quests faster, resulting in faster leveling. Only do side quests if you are having trouble advancing.

3. Every time you are given a quest to collect something, check the map in your spellbook and find the icon for the thing you're going to fight. You'll find that a lot of the time, that icon is a long way from where you get the quest AND a long way from where you first run into the type of enemy you have to fight. Go to the area where the icon is anyway, and fight stuff there. You'll collect much, much, MUCH faster.

I don't know if its a coincidence, but I found this to be true.

-Solstice64

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
I like doing dungeons on my low levels. I only with my friends and teleport to them when they're in there xD I'm not lazy, just I'm impatient and I wanna level up faster :3
:P

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:

Its faster to level up by SKIPPING side quests if your a good enough player to handle being at a disadvantage level wise. If you skip side quests, you get to the higher XP quests faster, resulting in faster leveling. Only do side quests if you are having trouble advancing.

100% true. It's not easier, but it sure is faster.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
crystalwizard12345... wrote:

OK. I agree

All wrong.... It SEEMS that way, but it's not. The quests don't loose XP.

All wrong. You collect at the same speed no matter WHERE you are. The speed of the quest depends on the quest itself.

Example: Colleting 4 is quicker than 10 and 1. With 1, the chances of you collecting are lower. 10, there's a lot.

I wrote in the bold text.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:

no, it is not.

It's faster to get through the main story line. It isn't faster to level.

The side quests are in there to give you the extra xp. The side quests always give very good xp if you do them at the level you first get them. If you leave them to do later, you get almost no xp for them.

I've watched way too many people fly through just the main storyline, skipping all the side quests, and hit DS at a level too low to do much of anything other than ask for help with every boss and battle.

The only way to avoid being too low in level like that while avoiding the side quests is to bug people to take you into high level dungeons you haven't unlocked yet to get xp you shouldn't be getting.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:

no, it is not.

The side quests are in there to give you the extra xp. The side quests always give very good xp if you do them at the level you first get them. If you leave them to do later, you get almost no xp for them.

I've watched way too many people fly through just the main storyline, skipping all the side quests, and hit DS at a level too low to do much of anything other than ask for help with every boss and battle.

The only way to avoid being too low in level like that while avoiding the side quests is to bug people to take you into high level dungeons you haven't unlocked yet to get xp you shouldn't be getting.

Your forgeting the part where Solstice says, "if your a good enough player to handle being at a disadvantage level wise." If a wizard can successfully solo or group with other wizards while only doing main quests, it does level faster, since the experience scales by world.

In other words, doing a single quest from each separate world is more experience (and thereby more levels) than five quests from the same world. Marleybone quests are more xp than wizard city, Celestia is more than Dragonspyre.

Your right that most people will hit a wall and the difficulty increases much faster if you only do main quests and going back to do side quests then is not good. But as Solstice indicated, if you can handle the difficulty you do level faster than doing all the side quests.

I've personally leveled wizards from 1 to 60 doing both ways. By only doing main quests, was day and night difference in terms of how quick it was compared to doing all the side quests. Only doing main quests (including optional worlds) will net you level 60 at the Chancel/Trial of Spheres stage of the storyline.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
sparky1233334444 wrote:
All wrong. You collect at the same speed no matter WHERE you are. The speed of the quest depends on the quest itself.

Example: Colleting 4 is quicker than 10 and 1. With 1, the chances of you collecting are lower. 10, there's a lot.

I wrote in the bold text.

Sparky, I don't think Crystalwizard was inferring that locations increase the drop rate, but rather by going to the correct place on the map you increase your chances of fighting the "right" enemy instead of extra enemies that do not drop the item you are collecting. So you actually end up increasing the chances of your drop rate and ultimately increasing the drops themselves.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:

no, it is not.

Your forgeting the part where Solstice says, "if your a good enough player to handle being at a disadvantage level wise." If a wizard can successfully solo or group with other wizards while only doing main quests, it does level faster, since the experience scales by world.

In other words, doing a single quest from each separate world is more experience (and thereby more levels) than five quests from the same world. Marleybone quests are more xp than wizard city, Celestia is more than Dragonspyre.

Your right that most people will hit a wall and the difficulty increases much faster if you only do main quests and going back to do side quests then is not good. But as Solstice indicated, if you can handle the difficulty you do level faster than doing all the side quests.

I've personally leveled wizards from 1 to 60 doing both ways. By only doing main quests, was day and night difference in terms of how quick it was compared to doing all the side quests. Only doing main quests (including optional worlds) will net you level 60 at the Chancel/Trial of Spheres stage of the storyline.

Exactly. Thanks for posting for me.