Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching Spritely

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 12, 2011
If you're anything like me, you have been craving a pet that casts spritely since you started playing Wizard101 - and why not? This spell can be downright helpful!

So how on earth do you get a pet with this ability through hatching?

Well first off - not every pet has the ability to learn this spell at the start - some first generation pets will never develop the ability no matter how much you train them (notice I said train, and not hatch).

Every pet has 10 ability slots (not including those for the derby). Through each level of training (teen, adult, ancient, and epic) the pet will gain a new ability until they have four talents that affect them or the wizard. Note - spritely could be developed at any stage - so some pets may develop this ability at teen while others won't until they hit epic (and some never will at all).

Now, if you have a pet that does not, as a first generation pet, have the possibility of training spritely, taking it past adult may be a waste of your time. For example, a Lava Spider (http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Pet:Lava_Spider) is not known to be predefined with this spell - so training it to epic is a waste of your time.

Now, it's been noted on here by one of the professors that the pet that is hatched already has predetermined abilities set during hatching. This means it does not matter what games you play, derby races you run, or food you feed it, it may never develop the ability you are looking for.

So what to do? Simple, find a player with a pet that has the spritely spell and hatch with your pet. So in this example, we might take a Lava Spider and hatch it together with a Kraken that already has the spritely spell.

Tip: The slot that spritely will train into is the "rare" slot. If your first generation pet does not have a rare slot, the resulting hatchling will probably not be able to learn spritely.

The Lava Spider I discussed earlier only has two rare ability spots available. This means the chances of the new hatchling having a high number of rare spots is reduced (if you get a new Lava Spider). My advice, find a better pet to start with before you begin hatching.

Now that you have hatched with another player's pet that already has spritely, you'll need to start training the new hatchling to see if it develops the ability. This is where math plays a bit of a role. You see, the pet has 10 ability slots but will only develop 4 abilities through training; one for each level after baby. So you have, at most, a 40% chance to develop any of the abilities in your new pet.

I mentioned earlier that the spritely slot is a "rare" slot. So the fewer rare slots available in your new hatchling, the less chance they have of developing spritely. A Lava Spider with two rare slots has a 20% slot availability for producing spritely at any of the four developmental stages, and 80% slot availability of developing something else - this pet is a bad bet.

So lets look at a pet starfish (http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Pet:Starfish) - it has the ability to develop spritely as a first generation pet and it has 6 rare slots available. This means it has a 60% slot availability for spritely. Breeding an adult Starfish with another pet that already has spritely is a good bet.

Now that you have your new hatchling, it's time for training. Training it to adult won't take you that long (goes faster with mega snacks) and you have a 50% chance of developing spritely in the first two stages of training (what I mean by this is that if spritely is one of the predetermined pet abilities that will develop through training, you have a 50% chance of it occurring in the first two training stages). Keep in mind that your new pet might have the ability but may not produce it until you train it to ancient or epic - that's a lot of training and pet snacks to go through just to see if your new pet has the ability.

Let's say that your new pet does not develop spritely by the time it hits adulthood. Well now you have some difficult choices. You can keep training and hope that it appears at either ancient or epic, or you can try hatching again.

Now there are a few schools of thought here if you don't want to continue training to ancient and/or epic. You can either take your first generation pet and try breeding again with another pet that already has spritely, or you can breed your hatchling.

You could also take your new hatchling and breed it with your first generation pet, and train the resulting hatchling (which is now a third generation pet) to see if the spritely spell develops by adult stage. I've read of one person doing this through to the seventh generation before the trait developed that they were looking for. So that also takes some perseverance but would be my preferred choice.

But keep in mind, this assumes that the very first hatchling that you produced picked up the spritely ability when you bred your pet the first time round. There is no guarantee that your hatchling picked it up or will ever develop it at any of the four stages.

If you are still reading, here's what happened to me. I trained my Stormzilla with a Spinyfish that someone else had. I ended up with a Spinyfish of my own which I trained to adult. This gave me the feint spell and "may cast storm blade." I was reluctant to take it any further.

So I bred that hatchling with my own Stormzilla and end ended up with another Spinyfish. I did this seven or eight times. I also bred it with several Starfish. I trained nearly all to adult or ancient with no spritely results.

I then gave up and decided to train the first hatchling Spinyfish to ancient, and guess what, I got spritely. So $40,00 worth of wasted meg snacks and training on "bad" pets later, I finally have the pet I wanted lol.

Anyway - good luck to you all!

Champion
May 03, 2011
A nice summary--very informative and to the point. Thanks. I'm just getting started with pet hatching, so this is helpful.

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
AmericanHappy wrote:

Now, it's been noted on here by one of the professors that the pet that is hatched already has predetermined abilities set during hatching. This means it does not matter what games you play, derby races you run, or food you feed it, it may never develop the ability you are looking for.

Can you please provide a link to this? As far as i know, this is a common theory developped by players, not an official information. But if there really is a post from a dev saying it, i'd like to read it.

Thanks!

Historian
May 28, 2009
I always wanted a Minotaur pet with Spritely, May cast Smoke Screen (A myth of a move. No one have seen it) That gives cards of Animate (Hatch with ghost dragon) and Minotaur (Give at Epic). And call him Sir Buddy!

That's my dream pet!

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
elvinlith wrote:

Can you please provide a link to this? As far as i know, this is a common theory developped by players, not an official information. But if there really is a post from a dev saying it, i'd like to read it.

Thanks!

The evidence is pretty much incontrovertible at this point, based upon the number of participants in the Wizardcentral101 Wiki and the integrity of the WikiMasters.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
A nice summary--very informative and to the point. Thanks. I'm just getting started with pet hatching, so this is helpful.

You are welcome.

P.S. enjoy reading your comments in toher threads - keep them coming!

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
elvinlith wrote:
AmericanHappy wrote:

Thanks!

You are right to ask! I no longer can recall the thread where Professor Greyrose confirmed this, but I do believe it was in one of the threads posted in the pets section.

Now I appreciate that this may not be good enough for you and I do apologize - I have looked but since I started playing the game in March 2011, it's a lot of threads to read through :(

I'll do my best to keep looking so that I can back my claim up - thanks for asking for proof, helps keep us honest!

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
HooVooLoo wrote:
elvinlith wrote:

Thanks!

The evidence is pretty much incontrovertible at this point, based upon the number of participants in the Wizardcentral101 Wiki and the integrity of the WikiMasters.

In my opinion there is a misunderstanding going on.

I believe professors said that the 10 + 10 talens inherited are chosen from the parents at the moment of hatching, but i cannot recall reading a post from any of them saying that no matter the way you feed and train your pet, it will develop 8 talents that were preset (meaning that out of the 10, there would be 6 that cannot develop no matter what).

This would mean, if my reading is correct, that if your parent had spritely, and the new hatchling has only epic talents, the new pet will never be able to show spritely. But if the new pet inherited spritely, it might or may not show it and this is not predetermined, it will depends upon the way it is trained.

Maybe a professor could be kind enough to spare a minute and clarify this? It would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
OK - so I've read through a lot of older pet related posts - and I mean a lot! Where Prof. Greyrose made the comment on pet abilities I can't for the life of me find it. But I'm certain she did make a note on this at some point.

Also - I don't think this will be confirmed any longer by the good professor since I've also seen her telling a lot of students that revealing some answers would count as "spoilers." I guess she, like other teachers, are prone to changing their answers when faced with additional information 

Now to your post, elvinlith. I think you are mistaken and here’s why.

I have dozens of pets that I have trained to adult or ancient. All of them have rare slots and were bred with a pet that has the spritely trait. Not all of them have produced it.

Now, two of my pets have spritely. Yet one of them was trained focusing highly on agility and another focused on strength. If what you posted were true, the pet trained highly in strength should have produced a damage bonus and not spritely, yet it did not.

My understanding is that every hatchling has the potential to pick up the trait abilities of one, or more, of its parents. Whatever those traits are will be are hardcoded at the time of hatching. So boosting agility is no guarantee that the pet will produce it – yet it may still be present in the potentiality of the pet as a latent talent. There is a gamble that the pet will produce the ability you are looking for and only hatching and training will reveal the results.

Now, we know that high agility is considered a “health” influencer. So for arguments sake, it seems likely that a pet with high agility and the spritely ability may cast more often. Likewise with the “give health” option, a pet with high agility may give more health than those with lower agility.

From what I have read, there are many players who have accounts on the test realms. The test realms give players free crowns to be spent on those realms. Players have purchased mega snacks and run numerous tests on pets to determine what if anything they do can influence the trait produced by the pet – all with the same result – nothing!

From my own personal experience, here is what I have. I took a Nightmare with “Unicorn” and bred it with a Spinyfish that has “Spritely,” “Storm Blade,” and “Feint.” I received a Nightmare with “Unicorn” and “Death Shot.” I then took that hatchling and bred it again with the Spinyfish.

For my efforts I received a Nightmare with “Unicorn” and “Feint.” Now, I can choose to train this pet past adulthood in the off chance it also develops spritely, but that’s a bit of a risk. The feint spell is a first generational potential for the Nightmare (http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Pet:Nightmare) – so I can’t be certain that this hatchling is displaying the trait it picked up from the Spinyfish (who picked it up from its parent) or simply it has produced the spell because of its own innate potential.

So I’ll keep testing until I am able to obtain both Unicorn and Spritely in the same pet.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
I also just wanted to add that if there is still doubt that training a pet higer in one skill are than another influences the potential for it develop the sought after ability, you may want to read this person's experience here: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/41370.ftl.

OK - best of luck!

Survivor
Apr 16, 2009
Survivor
Jul 30, 2010
I have tried to hatch with spritely, didnt work :(
Then i tried to train heck hound, didnt work :(

How can i get a to learn spritely?
thx