Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm confused about traps.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 15, 2011
Can someone explain to me exactly what traps are and how they work? How do you stack them. I can't seem to find any information on how to use them, just people saying what order to stack them in. Please help.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I'm not sure what you mean by "ordering" traps--but basically, traps are cards you use to increase damage to your enemy by a certain percentage. You put them on the enemy--as opposed to blades, which you put on yourself or your teammates. There are several kinds of traps. School-specific traps, which increase damage when you use a school spell. These usually add 25% to 30% to your damage points, and they look like your school colors (purple for storm, black for death, yellow for myth, etc.). There are traps that are not specific to schools, which anyone on your team can use--curses, feints, etc. Curses are usually 20%, I believe, and feints add 70% damage to the enemy, but put a 30% trap on the user as well. These are free to Death students, but lots of people trade training points for them. Now you can get Treasure card traps, too, and these (I just found out here at the Forum) are DIFFERENT, although they may look like a regular feint or trap. So if you put these on too, in addition to your regular traps, you get AN ADDITIONAL 30-35-70% damage!
So you can stack lots of these--say, a myth trap, a treasure version of a myth trap (these come in groups, I think--spirit or elemental, so you are putting on three different school traps when you use them), a feint, a curse, and a treasure feint, and then your damage points can go through the roof. If you aren't dead from waiting through so many turns to put all these traps on, that is. :? Oh, and there are spells to remove traps, too, but that's another topic...hope this helped.

Tabitha

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
To "stack" them. You want to put on the highest percentage of damage trap first, then place subsequent traps in order to lowest after that. When you activate those traps it will work in reverse order (activating lowest to highest). Therefore you will build more damage than just putting them on in any random order.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
kingurz wrote:
To "stack" them. You want to put on the highest percentage of damage trap first, then place subsequent traps in order to lowest after that. When you activate those traps it will work in reverse order (activating lowest to highest). Therefore you will build more damage than just putting them on in any random order.
Unless the game's system of calculating damage is flawed, that is untrue. Mathematically, you can multiply numbers in any order and you will get the same result. Trap order only matters when using prisms, in which case, without getting too complicated, it's generally best to get the prism on first. Of course, even that's not always true, because you can also use prisms to bypass shields or to use an opposing school's trap. -eli and crew

Historian
May 01, 2010
kingurz wrote:

and you can get even more complicated than that. by using a convert, lets say, your life. you can put on a feint, then spirit shield, then convert, then another feint, then spirit shield, and then life shield, and they all will trigger, and this is what will happed to a treant max power, or 300 (both blades) i got 3201 attack, (though i may be wrong) in that order

Champion
May 03, 2011

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

Survivor
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for all the time you guys put into your respones. They really helped a lot! I guess I already knew most of that, it can just get confusing. At least now I can come and reference your answers again to remind me! Thanks again guys and gals!

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
tabby714 wrote:

Um... there is a reason you (and I ) didn't know that...

You might want to take the advice of Etherchaos instead.

etherchaos wrote:
Unless the game's system of calculating damage is flawed, that is untrue. Mathematically, you can multiply numbers in any order and you will get the same result. Trap order only matters when using prisms, in which case, without getting too complicated, it's generally best to get the prism on first. Of course, even that's not always true, because you can also use prisms to bypass shields or to use an opposing school's trap. -eli and crew

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
hp1055cm wrote:
tabby714 wrote:

Um... there is a reason you (and I ) didn't know that...

You might want to take the advice of Etherchaos instead.

etherchaos wrote:

Or maybe I didn't explain it very well. Check out the guide from Wizard101 Central:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27492&highlight=trap+stacking

I think GPDOT's comment is what I'm getting after.....

"This is not to say that the order of placing things on an enemy makes no difference, but once placed the calculation doesn't matter.

g"

The numbers don't always add/multiple up the same. Using the same set of traps but in different orders can sometimes only be off by one point, but sometimes more.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
etherchaos wrote:
kingurz wrote:

I just tried different ways of stacking with blades, and your right there is no difference either way. However, it must be in the way I use traps that I get different numbers (not a big difference, but they don't come out the same).

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Those few points difference are due to rounding. In general, i don't find those few points to be worth really being concerned with the order of casting traps, since different spells that have different damage amounts can round differently- therefore, one trap order may do a couple of extra points for one spell, but, for a different spell, you may get those few extra points if you reverse the order. -eli and crew

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
etherchaos wrote:
Those few points difference are due to rounding. In general, i don't find those few points to be worth really being concerned with the order of casting traps, since different spells that have different damage amounts can round differently- therefore, one trap order may do a couple of extra points for one spell, but, for a different spell, you may get those few extra points if you reverse the order. -eli and crew

Your right. For over the last two years I have been purposely stacking highest to lowest for very little in return. Goes to show you can learn something new every day !!!!

Thanks Eli and Crew