Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Graphics / Game Freeze

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 22, 2010
After playing for a random amount of time, usually 30-45 minutes, the game will suddenly lock up and the screen reverts to my desktop. I still see the icon in the bottom taskbar (Win 7). If I wait long enough, 5 minutes or so, it will either crash altogether or come back. If it comes back it works for a while longer before it happens again. Any suggestions?

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Send in a ticket to Support.

Here's the official reply to such queries:

We have the tech support you need, but you need to give us more information!

If you have any questions or concerns regarding game or account matters, please send an email to: support@wizard101.com. Please include your account username and a DxDiag.

A DxDiag is a utility designed to display the specifications of the user's hardware, as well as to test DirectX software, including sound and video. If you are asked for this information in an email, it helps the support group relate your gaming issue to your personal computer.

To create a dxdiag.txt just go to Start -> Run (or Search in Vista) and enter dxdiag and click OK. Once the program has run it's course, click "Save all Information" and it will output a txt file that you can attach to your email.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2010
Yea, thanks. Did that a couple days ago around the same time as I posted this here but haven't heard back yet.

For the record I've tried reinstalling and running it in XP compatibility mode, checked that video drivers are at the latest revision, etc.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
Did you check your internet connection? That may also be part of the problem.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
bdietz72 wrote:
After playing for a random amount of time, usually 30-45 minutes, the game will suddenly lock up and the screen reverts to my desktop. I still see the icon in the bottom taskbar (Win 7). If I wait long enough, 5 minutes or so, it will either crash altogether or come back. If it comes back it works for a while longer before it happens again. Any suggestions?

Could it be that your computer is overheating a bit? The graphics on most games uses more processor than other applications therefore causing more heat. If your fan is not adequately cooling the processor, it will slow it down considerably.

If you use a lap top, you can buy a cooling station that will help. If you use a desk top, you can get a small fan and place behind the computer to help cool it.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Survivor
Dec 22, 2010
superluther wrote:
Could it be that your computer is overheating a bit? The graphics on most games uses more processor than other applications therefore causing more heat. If your fan is not adequately cooling the processor, it will slow it down considerably.

If you use a lap top, you can buy a cooling station that will help. If you use a desk top, you can get a small fan and place behind the computer to help cool it.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Thanks for the reply. I considered that as well, but after some testing don't think it is the case. I've noticed the same behavior within 30 minutes or so of playing after the PC has been powered down all day. Additionally I don't see the same behavior on other much more graphics intensive games (Rift, EQ2, etc.). Still no response on my official support ticket... anyone know how long it usually takes them?