Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Hound Glitch?

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, please help me out.

I saved my gold and bought a Storm Hound (cute!) I did this because in Dragonspyre, the Myth based bad guys are so resistant that my Myth School spells do (if I am lucky) an average of only 15-20% of their normal damage.

Now I haven't had the chance to test Storm hound against a Myth based baddie yet, but I have to say, I'm not exactly bowled over by the damage it's doing otherwise.

The card says that SH does 120 points of damage, per pip, per round. Now, assuming I'm reading that correctly, a three pip attack should, before modifiers, do 360 points base damage.

If that's the case, then why have I never managed to get more than 186 points per round?

I've tested this on both Fire and Ice based monsters. I pumped 5 pips into each attempt. Neither monster had any shields. And yet SH did only 186 points per round in each case. That's less than 30% of the supposed base damage!

30%? Without additional modifiers? On creatures that are not Storm based? Really?

And if it is just natural resistance, then why does a simple Storm Shark, cast by my minion, do normal (375 points) damage?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and my Storm Hound. (I named him Muffin.) But if this isn't a glitch, then I have to say that waiting until Dragonspyre to spend 40,000 gold is an awful lot for a pet whose damage is so little against monsters so difficult.

Please tell me this is a glitch.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
ArcanaJayne wrote:
in Dragonspyre, the Myth based bad guys are so resistant that my Myth School spells do (if I am lucky) an average of only 15-20% of their normal damage.

That's why you have myth prism.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
ArcanaJayne wrote:
The card says that SH does 120 points of damage, per pip, per round. Now, assuming I'm reading that correctly, a three pip attack should, before modifiers, do 360 points base damage.

120 damage over 3 rounds means 40 points a round for a total of 120 after all 3 rounds
not a glitch this is how dots work for all classes that have dots
dot= damage over time

Community Leader
Quizzical wrote:

That's why you have myth prism.

No kidding. But I can have a maximum of six copies in my current deck and there's no guarantee that they will come up when I need them. Nor will they magically save themselves for my intended max damage spell. (Minions and other players have a habit of messing with one's carefully laid plans.)

When you're opponent is well over 5,000 hit points, you need as many tricks up your sleeve as you can get.

Community Leader
Slontoppy wrote:

120 damage over 3 rounds means 40 points a round for a total of 120 after all 3 rounds
not a glitch this is how dots work for all classes that have dots
dot= damage over time

Well then, that's pretty disappointing.

The Jade Oni pet does comparable total damage for five pips, but the pet itself costs significantly less. I'm afraid I just don't see the advantage in paying so much more for Storm Hound. :?

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009

You read the card incorrectly SH does 120 points of damage per pip but over THREE rounds, not per round. A one pip cast would do 40 base damage per round for three rounds.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2009
Yep, take total pips and power pips (if you are a storm-based wizard) and multiply by 120. For a simple spell without any boosts, damage will be ((120*pips/power pips))/3.

Now, to make really devastating attacks against myth-based creatures, use attack boosts to create a greater base damage. Then use traps to boost that damage even higher.

I've managed to "power-up" a storm hound to do at least 1500-1700 points of damage/round when I use two attack swords (35% increase each) for the initial attack. A 25%/25%/20% trap for the first storm pulse and a 25% trap for the other two storm pulses.

Against myth, these attacks are even more devestating since they are vulnerable to storm-based spells.

I'm sure those with the heck hound have had similar results by stacking on the attack and trap cards.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
I posted the same queston earlyer DOT is fine but its suppose to be a per pip type damage and the max i have been able to get going is 160 without other buffs the price that we payed either in crowns or gold really makes that seem weak pretty much does the same damage as the fire elf ring you can buy in DS that type of damage is next to useless

Defender
Oct 19, 2008
Explorer
Nov 04, 2008
ok here's how that spell works if you have let's say two pips and cast the spell then the damage per turn wouldnt be 250 the overall damage of the 3 turns it inflicts damage of that is equal to 250.now do you get it?

Community Leader
cs550 wrote:
now do you get it?

Actually, I got it by the second response, thanks.