Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizards keep casting spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 23, 2009
When I started playing Wizard the only spells cast after all the enemy was killed were life spells and shields, but recently I have had several battles where everyone finished casting their spell when the enemy was killed with the first player. Is this a bug or just a new method of operation?

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
All spells are cast except those which have a target where the target has gone before the spell has cast.

Maybe now that you're higher level you're seeing types of spells that you haven't before, such as the spells that attack all enemies and therefore have no target.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Venusvesuvius wrote:
When I started playing Wizard the only spells cast after all the enemy was killed were life spells and shields, but recently I have had several battles where everyone finished casting their spell when the enemy was killed with the first player. Is this a bug or just a new method of operation?

I've considered it a bug, since it hasn't always happened like that before. These days, wizards lose pips (mana) against defeated opponents. It doesn't just have to be the first player defeating the enemy either, same thing can happen if the enemy is defeated from a dot that same round.

Your right, it use to be only beneficial spells were cast after the enemies were defeated.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Once upon a time, when someone cast a AoE spell, i.e Meteor Storm, Tempest, they had to pick a target. If someone killed the enemy that wizard targeted before the AoE spell then the wizard would lose his pips and mana. This became a problem, especially when someone would lose all their pips on a tempest that never manifested. KI's answer to this was to eliminate the need for a specific target when casting an AoE spell. The results of this is the casting of the spell even if all enemies are killed.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
If you cast a blade or shield and all enemies are defeated, your wizard will still cast the spell. It seems Sandstorm does the same thing. Traps will not, and targeted attacks will not. It's just how the game is programmed. It's like this: after you click on a card (let's say Imp) to select it then you choose an enemy that you want to cast the spell on and click on them. When it is your turn the computer checks if the enemy is there, then starts the animation for your wizard casting the spell which will transition into the spell animation, or, if the target is not there (say the person before you defeated the enemy) the computer will not execute the attack and instead force your wizard to pass. For a blade (like Balance Blade) the same thing happens exept the target is yourself. Assuming yourself is still there after the enemies are defeated, the computer will see that you are targeted, play the animation of your wizard casting the spell, and then transistion into the spell animation its self. Like I said earlier, it seems spells that affect all enemies will still cast for whatever reason. I guess it just chooses all circles but forgets that there is nobody there. If you already defeated all the enemies, it really is a benign affect.