Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

?Question for strategic duelists?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Now we all know how the life amulet can boost any school and is commonly used. Balance amulet is often used by top pvp players in 1 vs 1 for quick reshuffles.

My question is this, are there any other combinations that work well in 1 vs 1 and why?

My Project

I'm currently leveling a balance wizard to legendary to blend with the myth school. Balance has had trouble getting around towers in the past, I'm thinking with myth pips I can use shatter quite effectively setting up for judge. With an arsenal of blades like spirit blade balance has access to trained Minotaur, a double attack that can also cut through towers. the attack possibilities seem endless, elemental blade boosting my perfect flamezilla. Talos treasure can be used as efficiently as myth giving balance affordable access to the best minion in the game. Balance can effectively heal with in school cards like helping hands and availing hands giving it a unique advantage over other non life schools think balance/myth can be a deadly combination with the right deck construction and of course gear selection.

Has anyone else found a deadly or effective combination of schools through the use of amulets? If so pls post.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Ice and the death amulet. Because i'm ice if played out right i should never have to heal. However that it is not the story with my opponent or whoever i'm facing. With the death amulet I can always put up a doom and gloom, and with my shielding strategies keeping me safe from any attack, while throwing out some DoTs are some quick wyvern and collosus attacks. I can bring their health down faster than they can bring mine down. And with the constant doom and glooms whether they change it or not they won't heal properly so either it deters the player from healing at all, or they try to heal and waste pips on really ineffective heals. Plus it can help with dark pact sometimes if i just happen to have one. Because it gets me the blade and the damage it does to yourself is really just ignored or blocked. But I would only recommend that in a 1v1 situation, because any multiplayer pvp it doesn't really work out.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
travisAk wrote:
Now we all know how the life amulet can boost any school and is commonly used. Balance amulet is often used by top pvp players in 1 vs 1 for quick reshuffles.

My question is this, are there any other combinations that work well in 1 vs 1 and why?

My ice mage uses a fire mastery amulet so that he can use his power pips on his fire spells.

works very well.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
My legendary balance wizard has a myth mastery amulet, and its not as good as I thought it would be. Shatter is a great spell, but things like minotaur don't deal enough damage because you don't have damage boost (and everyone has resist.) The only spells that I find useful are earthquake and shatter.

-Solstice64

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
My legendary balance wizard has a myth mastery amulet, and its not as good as I thought it would be. Shatter is a great spell, but things like minotaur don't deal enough damage because you don't have damage boost (and everyone has resist.) The only spells that I find useful are earthquake and shatter.

-Solstice64
It might require a gear adjustment but I believe an alternate attack can be pulled off. Pets can be made to stack damage as you know, pain giver, myth giver and a damage talent called pain bringer can boost myth spells by 12% at the cost of pet resist. Now add trained myth bubble into your deck construction, balance gets to fight the bubble war and you're playing with 37% (20% more for a well timed treasure version) attack boost for myth spells, enough damage to compensate for the waterworks resist in most schools. Balance has access to spirit blade and universal blades which I believe can definitely dish out some punishment when used correctly. Now while I understand that the damage boosts for in school spells will be greater I think gargantuan Minotaurs can also be effective as a finisher or at least throw your opponent off guard and confuse them as to what your next move might be. while I agree that the most useful spells are earth and shatter like you have stated, I fell sometimes like people are only scraping the surface with the use of school amulets. There is some underlying potential here IMO.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
@Travis

You'll have to tell me how that works out, with balance damage boost being better then your myth damage boost, your better off using hydra, and the myth giver talent would be a waste of a slot IMO as there are better talents out there. I tested out minotaur before, and it just doesn't deal enough damage.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
@throvon64

You'll have to tell me how that works out, with balance damage boost being better then your myth damage boost, your better off using hydra, and the myth giver talent would be a waste of a slot IMO as there are better talents out there. I tested out minotaur before, and it just doesn't deal enough damage.

ummm I think you meant that to be towards travis o. o

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Myth with ice mastery, trained to tower shield. I can clear 650 points with a gargantuan evil snowman! Woo Hoo! Just got the amulet from waterworks last night and i'm thrilled. However, if you're not looking to get laughed at, i don't even remotely recommend this. -elijah darkthorn, legendary conjurer, grandmaster fool

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
Ice and the death amulet. Because i'm ice if played out right i should never have to heal. However that it is not the story with my opponent or whoever i'm facing. With the death amulet I can always put up a doom and gloom, and with my shielding strategies keeping me safe from any attack, while throwing out some DoTs are some quick wyvern and collosus attacks. I can bring their health down faster than they can bring mine down. And with the constant doom and glooms whether they change it or not they won't heal properly so either it deters the player from healing at all, or they try to heal and waste pips on really ineffective heals. Plus it can help with dark pact sometimes if i just happen to have one. Because it gets me the blade and the damage it does to yourself is really just ignored or blocked. But I would only recommend that in a 1v1 situation, because any multiplayer pvp it doesn't really work out.
Right, doom and gloom is definitely underrated in 1vs1 pvp play. From first position if you cast it after a big hit it forces your opponent to either change the bubble and risk getting hit again or lose the pip war by inefficient healing. With healing boosts being as high as they are I predict doom and gloom to play more of a role in high ranked matches in the future. With your high health and shields I can see how the death amulet would play into your strategy. Good post

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:

ummm I think you meant that to be towards travis o. o

Yea lol, gonna fix that.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
travisAk wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
Right, doom and gloom is definitely underrated in 1vs1 pvp play. From first position if you cast it after a big hit it forces your opponent to either change the bubble and risk getting hit again or lose the pip war by inefficient healing. With healing boosts being as high as they are I predict doom and gloom to play more of a role in high ranked matches in the future. With your high health and shields I can see how the death amulet would play into your strategy. Good post

Ice and all things that stop heals have been my trade mark since i started playing arena and I started as 1v1 only. It always me to kind of "flank" them as i call it. You put up the doom and gloom and some infections, and build up your blades and traps, while just making sure you have a tower or something, this way they have to choose whether to defend against your next attack or try to get rid of you anti healing spells. And either way it plays in my favor, if they try to heal i'll have an opening for an attack, and if they shield i'll still attack because i know they can't heal back what damage i do.. I agree completely doom and gloom is underrated, but the fact that it is a great spell and almost no one uses it, it makes my arena style very destinct and not the generic ice warlord. you know shield and heal.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:

-Solstice64

I have stated this strategy before and I will state it again... I can't think of a better strategy than balance having a myth mastery amulet, and here is why!

Feint, Treasure Feint, Pet Feint, shatter removing any and all shields, Judgment= Opponent Dead!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I have stated this strategy before and I will state it again... I can't think of a better strategy than balance having a myth mastery amulet, and here is why!

Feint, Treasure Feint, Pet Feint, shatter removing any and all shields, Judgment= Opponent Dead!

Yes, a very powerful strategy (and some people may call it unfair.) Only problem is I don't have enough training points left for feint. So can you give me an amazing strategy? Also how do you get treasure feints, they rarely ever seem to be at the bazaar.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Solstice64 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
I have stated this strategy before and I will state it again... I can't think of a better strategy than balance having a myth mastery amulet, and here is why! Feint, Treasure Feint, Pet Feint, shatter removing any and all shields, Judgment= Opponent Dead!
Yes, a very powerful strategy (and some people may call it unfair.) Only problem is I don't have enough training points left for feint. So can you give me an amazing strategy? Also how do you get treasure feints, they rarely ever seem to be at the bazaar.
Mortiis, the death tree, has the recipe to craft feint treasure cards (death school only, though), or, if you garden it's a possible drop from stinkweed, king parsley, deadly fly trap, and evil magma peas. -keller moonblade, magus necromancer (and crew)