Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

All Schools are Equal.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
Hi everybody,
This has been a major issue lately with EVERYONE.
Everybody thinks "Oh storm is overpowering to the other schools."
Even though storm has powerful attacks, it lacks on health.
All schools have their up sides and their down sides.
People say that this isn't fair, keep in mind, there are shields for all of the schools, or you could just go the easy way and get the ice Tower Shield!
There is always a way to block your opponent's attack and all schools are equal in some way.
Ice-High resistance, good health, weak attacks
Storm-Strong attacks, low health, bad accuracy
Fire-Somewhat bad accuracy, other than that I don't know..
Myth-Lacking on attacks
Life-Healing powers, weak attacks (somewhat)
Death-Bad accuracy (sometimes), takes away from self sometimes
Balance-Bad accuracy, strong attacks
Hope I made some people think about equality among the schools.

Sincerly,
The Thaumaturge, Jinxx 8)
Jennifer Starriver- Thaumaturge 60
Jennifer Sandriver- Sorcerer 43
Alicia Fairy- Theurgist 18
Suri- Diviner 3
Jennifer Deathriver- Necromancer 18
Ryan- Pyromancer 1

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Equality among classes or in wizard101's case schools is something that has existed in any MMO and it is completely natural. There is no possible way to make every school equal without giving everyone the same spells, same level and same gear. Because of this no schools are equal which is something that is quite common it would be really boring if the schools were equal. Having said that it, posting is the way to guarentee that some balance remains.

This balance has been shifted mainly because of the new water works gear.
It is very easy to see the imbalance some people just don't have a lot of experience of how MMOs work but it is pretty standard, of course people say just dont use the waterworks gear but that can't be right because everyone else around uses it. The waterworks gear gave storm a lot of buffs they have never had before and also boosted what is expected of their gear. This is where all the complaints come from, not only does storm have its unique insane attack capabilities such as 82% attack increase, 151 critical rating. But also universal resistance and a lot more universal accuracy which is diminishing their down side. While others schools didn't recieve this that creates an imbalance in this type of system and of course people that can realize this will exploit it.

Now usually MMOs will use the negative feedback to fix the problem and/or adjust it to still make everything fair but not equal. This didn't happen however because the problem is you have emotional people posting because they want to defend these imbalances because it is simple it lets them win, they don't want to care about the well being of the game, the well being of other players. Because people are selfish.

If you complain that the schools are inequal you are always right because they can't be equal unless they all have the same spells and abilities. If you go to specific if you say storm is over powered right now you would be right for sure.

But people don't learn and give it a few days emotional players will try to argue some off topic subject that won't make sense in a desperate attempt to argue with something that is true.. However as the saying is Ignorance is bliss... So while i pray their are some people that were smart enough to spot this i highly doubt it..

Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
Equality among classes or in wizard101's case schools is something that has existed in any MMO and it is completely natural. There is no possible way to make every school equal without giving everyone the same spells, same level and same gear. Because of this no schools are equal which is something that is quite common it would be really boring if the schools were equal. Having said that it, posting is the way to guarentee that some balance remains.

It is very easy to see the imbalance some people just don't have a lot of experience of how MMOs work but it is pretty standard, of course people say just dont use the waterworks gear but that can't be right because everyone else around uses it. The waterworks gear gave storm a lot of buffs they have never had before and also boosted what is expected of their gear. This is where all the complaints come from, not only does storm have its unique insane attack capabilities such as 82% attack increase, 151 critical rating. But also universal resistance and a lot more universal accuracy which is diminishing their down side. While others schools didn't recieve this that creates an imbalance in this type of system and of course people that can realize this will exploit it.

Now usually MMOs will use the negative feedback to fix the problem and/or adjust it to still make everything fair but not equal. This didn't happen however because the problem is you have emotional people posting because they want to defend these imbalances because it is simple it lets them win, they don't want to care about the well being of the game, the well being of other players. Because people are selfish.

If you complain that the schools are inequal you are always right because they can't be equal unless they all have the same spells and abilities. If you go to specific if you say storm is over powered right now you would be right for sure.

But people don't learn and give it a few days emotional players will try to argue some off topic subject that won't make sense in a desperate attempt to argue with something that is true.. However as the saying is Ignorance is bliss... So while i pray their are some people that were smart enough to spot this i highly doubt it..

Dear thorvon65,
I totally DISAGREE with your theory here and I have reasons.
People should not complain and whine about the inequality of the schools. If they picked a special school then they should live with it. I also gave some reasons of why that the schools were equal, I never said they were completely equal. I also don't like the fact that you're calling some people ignorant in your little speech here. I never said schools were completely balanced but they are somewhat. If you do not agree with me, I suggest you look at my reasons again.

Sincerly,
The Thaumaturge, Jinxx

Armiger
May 10, 2010
While I agree with Thorvon, that all schools are not exactly equal, since they are different and have differences, it is easy to calculate mathematically that the schools are as balanced as possible without being the same...

This is the flaw, that most people have and why they complain about storms power, or Ice's resistance, or Life's ability to heal... Etc...

Each school has advantages and disadvantages...

Most argue, because they know 1 school and 1 school only. They don't know the intricasies of each school... They don't know each and every spell, the pluses and minuses of each school...

They take what they think they know and run with it... Problem with this is, a lot of people do it... Why storm has been changed, why Ice has been changed and probably why more schools will be changed in the future...

So, it is funny, because people complain about one school, get something changed, and then complain when people complain about their school and get something changed... LOL life is full of complaints!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Equality is not easy. Any fixes or solutions may seem right, but right is usually in the eye of the beholder. There are some "hidden" numbers and data that only KI knows and understands, therefore equality is not always readily apparent. I personally believe at the generic level all schools are equal, but it does seem that sometimes specifics ebb and flow as new worlds are released.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Rachael125 wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Dear thorvon65,
I totally DISAGREE with your theory here and I have reasons.
People should not complain and whine about the inequality of the schools. If they picked a special school then they should live with it. I also gave some reasons of why that the schools were equal, I never said they were completely equal. I also don't like the fact that you're calling some people ignorant in your little speech here. I never said schools were completely balanced but they are somewhat. If you do not agree with me, I suggest you look at my reasons again.

Sincerly,
The Thaumaturge, Jinxx

Yea I read it the first time, and read it again and i disagree again lol.

I play a lot of schools and the schools I don't play my cousin or little brother play and we always talk about these issues kind of our family chat.
I not trying to say people are ignorant i'm saying people will come up with anything to defend their own beliefs when it has no real base to support it.
Like I said i have played tons of MMOs the really mainstream ones and even the ones most people don't know about and inequality is how the game runs you give one school a chance to shine at one point. And then another a different school shines. Right now storm is Overpowered most storm agree with this and they know it. My cousin is where i get my storm knowledge from lol and he agrees it is over powered but thats why he likes it and he will tell me the same thing. You know storm is overpowered but it changes like every MMO. If you complain that a school is over powered when it is overpowered then your right lol i dont understand how people don't understand this. Play any other MMO i guarentee you, you will realize what i'm talking about and find out that Wizard101 schools being imbalanced is very similar to other good MMOs. It is just how they work.

Explorer
May 12, 2010
I don't see storm as being overpowered.

I am Ice and I am OverPowered! I have yet to lose to storm in the arena. Storm in my opinion is the easiest school to defeat.

I have storm shields, I have tower shields, I have treasure tower shields, I have Frozen Armor, which storm can do nothing about. I have many, many blades, that make any attack I use, with a gargantuan attached, very powerful.

I have a pet, with spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and ice shot. That's +15 more universal resistance to my already incredible resistance. I keep my stellar signet and cosmic kris to keep my pet healing me very effectively. I keep fortify treasure cards on hand for another +20 resistance, I have the life amulet to quickly and easily heal any damage.

I am a Tank, that has a fortress of ice protecting me! I have a huge cannon that can destroy any obstacle in my path.

I am Overpowered and I know it... Yet, I still feel I am equal, or am I?

Survivor
May 22, 2010
RosamaryH wrote:
I don't see storm as being overpowered.

I am Ice and I am OverPowered! I have yet to lose to storm in the arena. Storm in my opinion is the easiest school to defeat.

I have storm shields, I have tower shields, I have treasure tower shields, I have Frozen Armor, which storm can do nothing about. I have many, many blades, that make any attack I use, with a gargantuan attached, very powerful.

I have a pet, with spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and ice shot. That's +15 more universal resistance to my already incredible resistance. I keep my stellar signet and cosmic kris to keep my pet healing me very effectively. I keep fortify treasure cards on hand for another +20 resistance, I have the life amulet to quickly and easily heal any damage.

I am a Tank, that has a fortress of ice protecting me! I have a huge cannon that can destroy any obstacle in my path.

I am Overpowered and I know it... Yet, I still feel I am equal, or am I?

LOL but i find it hard to believe you are that good.

Hobey Ho!

Charles N. grandmaster Balance

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
Rachael125 wrote:
Hi everybody,
This has been a major issue lately with EVERYONE.
Everybody thinks "Oh storm is overpowering to the other schools."
Even though storm has powerful attacks, it lacks on health.
All schools have their up sides and their down sides.
People say that this isn't fair, keep in mind, there are shields for all of the schools, or you could just go the easy way and get the ice Tower Shield!
There is always a way to block your opponent's attack and all schools are equal in some way.
Ice-High resistance, good health, weak attacks
Storm-Strong attacks, low health, bad accuracy
Fire-Somewhat bad accuracy, other than that I don't know..
Myth-Lacking on attacks
Life-Healing powers, weak attacks (somewhat)
Death-Bad accuracy (sometimes), takes away from self sometimes
Balance-Bad accuracy, strong attacks
Hope I made some people think about equality among the schools.

Sincerly,
The Thaumaturge, Jinxx 8)
Jennifer Starriver- Thaumaturge 60
Jennifer Sandriver- Sorcerer 43
Alicia Fairy- Theurgist 18
Suri- Diviner 3
Jennifer Deathriver- Necromancer 18
Ryan- Pyromancer 1

You haven't pointed out anything good about the Death school
LDC lvl 60 Death