Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does it get better?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
So, I finally did it. I started playing PvP. I have had quite a bit of fun with it up until this point, but now... I don't know.

Here's the deal. I don't like to turn my chat off because I like to talk to people. Yes. I know they can look at my stats that way but that doesn't really bother me because it isn't too hard to figure out how the opponent is configured with a few rounds of play. My preference is for 1v1. 2v2 has too many people with multiple accounts playing multiple players, 3v3 well... I just haven't had the opportunity for 3v3 and 4v4 is more fun to me on paper. I'm kind of meandering through my thought here, but what I'm getting at is I enjoy the challenge of 1v1 ranked but I also like to be social.

It was a lot of fun and I met quite a few people that have now become my friends in the early stages, but now that I'm up to knight... almost no one talks anymore and when they do, they just talk smack. Usually, they imply that I somehow cheated or that I'm not playing fair, etc, etc. I had one guy tell me to "take the crit gear off and then try to beat him... oh wait, I couldn't." LOL. Its kind of funny now because its just so stupid. Anyway, I guess the question is this. As I continue in rank, does it get better? Will people start being friendly again while they play? Or is it just mostly over competitive smack talkers from here on out?

I tried just playing practice PvP and people are more friendly there. However, they also aren't nearly as much of a challenge in general. Occasionally, you get a really experienced opponent, but then they are often just trying out a new strategy, or tweaking their deck. I've had 3 of the last 5 high ranks (commander and such) just flee when they couldn't kill me in the first few rounds. That's just when its getting interesting.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback from higher ranked PvPers. Can I have my cake and eat it too? Do I just need to power through to the next couple of ranks? Or is the price for a good match simply having to deal spoil sports?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Hate to be the bearer of bad news GtarHannon, but when it comes to PvP, it only gets worse the higher you go in rank. It does not matter what you do, you will have cheated, done something that was unfair, but somehow you did something to win, because you can't beat your opponent, they are the best. So, you either are a Critical Noob, a Treasure Noob, a Pet Noob, a Shield Noob, or a million other Noobs in between.

That is one of the main aspects of PvP that is really disappointing to me too. I am also not one who cares if they know my school, gear, or amulet. I like to talk to, but it is those that have to bein insulting and call everyone noobs and think that they are so superior!

Now, before someone gets on here and starts on me for my ego and I wont state any names. I do not call anyone a noob or a cheater in 1v1 play. I do not taunt people or insult people or act like I am superior while we play. Even after a match, I am happy to say gg, even though that sounds like I am belittling them after I win. I do try and be nice and respectful while playing PvP, I wish most others would do the same, however, it is not this way. Sorry, but wish you luck in your future battles, maybe you can get lucky and fine some with morals, but I would not hold my breath hoping for this.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news GtarHannon, but when it comes to PvP, it only gets worse the higher you go in rank.

*sigh* I was afraid of that. That is unfortunate. Part of the reward (for me anyway) for spending so much time prepping for a ranked match was the interaction and rather good chance of making friends. I'm inherently lazy and while I enjoy solving the problem, I don't enjoy the legwork necessary to execute on my solution. Oh well, I guess it just means less time spent in PvP. I'm sure my wife won't mind one less distraction. ;) Thanks for the feedback.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Actually I do not agree with darthjt on this one. I find that some of the younger players get frustrated when you beat them (you forgot minion noob and ploymorph noob), but trust me there is light at the end of the tunnel :).

I find once you crawl up the ranks things get better and more functional socially. After about 1200 rank you start to fight the same group of people who have a certain level of respect. Here gg really means good game and not gg I didn't even get hit once, ha! I disagree with darthjt on this and know that the glass seems half empty sometimes but I assure you it's a good drink :).

There are certain factors in the arena right now causing tension but I encourage you to keep playing because you are a bright individual and will go far in pvp. It's like the real world in a way, not everyone is friendly all the time but friends and sportsmanship is in the mist. Good luck and welcome to the arena.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
travisAk wrote:
Actually I do not agree with darthjt on this one. I find that some of the younger players get frustrated when you beat them (you forgot minion noob and ploymorph noob), but trust me there is light at the end of the tunnel :).

I find once you crawl up the ranks things get better and more functional socially. After about 1200 rank you start to fight the same group of people who have a certain level of respect. Here gg really means good game and not gg I didn't even get hit once, ha! I disagree with darthjt on this and know that the glass seems half empty sometimes but I assure you it's a good drink :).

There are certain factors in the arena right now causing tension but I encourage you to keep playing because you are a bright individual and will go far in pvp. It's like the real world in a way, not everyone is friendly all the time but friends and sportsmanship is in the mist. Good luck and welcome to the arena.

That is an interesting perspective. I do appreciate your taking the time to let me know. To clarify... I am neither offended nor disheartened by people being people in the arena. That's just how some are. Its just that my motivation for playing is atypical. The social interaction has been a much bigger carrot for me than the winning. Winning in the arena takes a lot of prep work be it monotonous pet training, gardening, crafting, or farming for gold to make treasure cards. Without the conversation, the win just isn't that much of a motivator for me. I'm certain that I will still get a "craving" for a good match once in a while, its just not nearly the attraction for me that it was when people were willing to chat while we play. That leads me to a follow up question... around the 1200ish mark, do people chat while they play, or only after the match?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I never said everyone was bad, but like Gtarhannon said, you start out and everyone is pretty cool and get along well. But, the higher up you go in rank, they do get a lot more disrespectful and almost everyone calls you a noob or a cheat.

Sure, there are some that still have high morals and convictions, but from what I have seen in the arena, it is rare.

Now,TravisAk, you have every right to agree with me, considering you probably PvP a lot more than I do. I get tired of all the complaints and Noob calling in PvP, so I only PvP when I am bored, or someone has offended one or some of my friends and needs to learn a lesson!

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It doesn't get any better or worse. You have ego-trips at low and high levels, and you have good people at low and high levels. The reason PvPers are generally worse overall than non PvPers is because PvPers tend to take the game more personally, and they have a target to talk to in PvP; whereas it's rather pointless to call Jotun or Malistaire names because they won't answer.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
It'll only get worse if you let it get worse.

I used to despise PVP with all of my being, but now that I'm a Legendary with time to burn, I've taken a casual liking to it. I even PVP occasionally with my Life GM (which I probably shouldn't be doing; I've made NO pogress on Marcus for weeks, now T-T).

I've taken my Life GM up to Knight, and on that winding road, I've been called many a rude name, mainly because of my healing and Spirit Armor. When someone is being vicious to me, even when I'm given the perfect opportunity to make a stellar comeback, I just lean back and give an inward laugh, not saying a word. I do say gg the turn before I win, if it's sure-fire, and occasionally, I'll taunt the bonehead with a smiley emoticon, but other than that, not a peep.

I'm the level-headed, cool player who works well under pressure and plays PVP just for the *hrm hm!* fun of it. But players who take the arena way too seriously or get their feelings hurt easily will find that things will get tough as you climb the ladder, at least in my experience; I'm just a Knight.

Defender
May 27, 2010
GtarHannon, welcome to the PvP World lol, I myself don't talk smack when it comes to PvP but I do so only when my Opponent does, I wouldn't worry about them, they are just competitive people who can't take a loss, I hope you enjoy PvP in the mean time, trust me there are lots of nice people in PvP, if I ever face you, you will know it's me cause I am a good sport, me and some friends tend to PvP a lot nowadays, I used to hate PvP cause there were lots of unnecessary things changed just because of it, UnBalance, WildBolt, etc.

anyways remember things will get better the more you try them, before now I used to hate PvP cause of the above, but since I made it to Legend I have become well more addicted to it lol, cause really I have done everything else there is, anyhow Good Luck and I hope you enjoy PvP right now!
Justin IceFlame
Legendary Thaumaturge, PvP and Pet Captain
Fire is the True Balance!

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:

That is an interesting perspective. I do appreciate your taking the time to let me know. To clarify... I am neither offended nor disheartened by people being people in the arena. That's just how some are. Its just that my motivation for playing is atypical. The social interaction has been a much bigger carrot for me than the winning. Winning in the arena takes a lot of prep work be it monotonous pet training, gardening, crafting, or farming for gold to make treasure cards. Without the conversation, the win just isn't that much of a motivator for me. I'm certain that I will still get a "craving" for a good match once in a while, its just not nearly the attraction for me that it was when people were willing to chat while we play. That leads me to a follow up question... around the 1200ish mark, do people chat while they play, or only after the match?

My most amazing battles can only be equated to something like chess. When you face off against a "hard" opponent you'll know in the first couple of turns and intense concentration is required in my view. Chatting with your opponent can lead to a loss so I wouldn't recommend it during the fight. I've lost battles because of one improperly played card or missed step. That's not to say you shouldn't tLk during battle but be warned that some people take this very seriously. Eventually you will find the thrill in match development where card choices and strategy becomes a form of communication ;)

Most of my friends have been met in and around the arena and we talk all the time outside the arena and in between battles. A good time to start a relationship is after a hard fought battle where respect has been earned between both players.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
gtarhannon,

I have seen no difference between the lower levels in PvP and the upper levels. You have some great people and some real sad PvP players.
I am not above 1000 yet, so what TravisAK stated, I can not comment on.
As far as PvP in general, I have run into a lot of rude players lately.
Noob is more of a common word now, than it was seven months ago.
Of my last three PvP matches, I have been called a Amulet noob, Hey Noob you got the Life Amulet, More on, and several swear words added in.
I could and maybe should report them, but I don't, simply because I want to beat them again.
Some people use the rude words to see if they can get you upset. I have seen many do this, trying to break your train of thought.
I see some ask friends to stop into the match and keep talking to the opponent, to try to confuse him/her. If they don't reply, the abuse gets worst.
I suggest that you just beat the ones that try to abuse you, just as fast and as hard as you can. Rank them down, so they pay the price.

Joe.
Joseph LionHunter.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Thanks all for your feedback. It has been both enlightening and encouraging. I have decided to try and enjoy PvP from a chess perspective. Whether or not I talk, its still fun to play a round of chess from time to time. While it isn't the outlet I initially hoped it may be, it can still be fun all the same. I am not terribly interested in punishing the smack talkers nor do I think I have any lessons to teach them. In that regard, life has proven to be a far better teacher than I. I'll just keep being polite, play to the best of my ability, and ignore the ones who are annoying. They do make for entertaining stories in the future. :)

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.