Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trap Order

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 15, 2011
Can someone explain how the game decides whether a trap will go off or not?

For example if an enemy has a life trap, life prism and death shield on them and you then cast centaur at this enemy, I have seen several possible outcomes.

The life prism will always be triggered, but:
In some cases the life trap will not be triggered and in some cases the death shield will not be triggered.

How would someone know if the life prism will be triggered before life trap or if death shield will somehow not be triggered at all?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
RickClops wrote:

For example if an enemy has a life trap, life prism and death shield on them and you then cast centaur at this enemy, I have seen several possible outcomes.

In some cases the life trap will not be triggered and in some cases the death shield will not be triggered.

How would someone know if the life prism will be triggered before life trap or if death shield will somehow not be triggered at all?

Ok, pay close attention!

If A death Shield is put up Before the Life prism, the shield will activate!
If the Life Prism is put up Before the Death shield, the shield is bypassed!

If the Life trap is put up Before the Life prism, the trap is bypassed!
If the Life trap is put up after the life prism, the trap will activate!

just remeber, first on your target, is last off!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
RickClops wrote:

Traps placed first will trigger last. A shield will disrupt dependent upon when it was placed (a shield placed first will block the total percentage and not a portion).

Survivor
Sep 16, 2009
The prisms effects depend on when the shields and traps are put on in addition to the prism. If a shield is on before the prism then the convert will have no effect, same goes if the life trap is on before the prism. Now, if the prism goes on first and then the shield is placed the shield doesn't effect the outcome of the spell. Always place prism before the school trap. Keep a wand of the opposite school to bust off the shields when they are placed.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
As simply as your title puts it is how it works. Depending on where in the order your prism is is how it will activate.

The spells active in order of most recent to oldest. Thus if your alignment was life trap, prism and death shield all three will activate. If it was aligned death shield, prism and then life trap only the prism will activate normally.

Spells affecting the target goes through the traps and shields once activating anything that is affected in the course of the spell. So it is wise to have your prism first put on your target then your traps this way you will activate your traps and then convert it agains your target. However you could place a spirit trap then prism then spirit trap and the game will activate a life trap and a death trap.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
The game examines traps in reverse order of their placement. In other words, the last trap put down is the first one examined, and the first trap put down is the last one examined.

Think of it as putting them on the floor in a stack, one at a time. The game looks from the top down.

For example, I put down a Storm Prism, then a Storm Trap. Then I cast Kraken.

Using the "on the floor" visual, the traps look like this to the game:

Storm Trap
Storm Prism (cast first, on the bottom of the stack)

The game examines the top of the stack: the Storm Trap. Kraken, being a Storm spell, triggers the Storm Trap. It now looks at the Storm Prism. Since it's still Storm damage, it also triggers the Storm Prism, which converts it to Myth damage.

Now, suppose I put down a Storm Trap first, and then the Storm Prism. Then I cast Kraken. Now the stack looks like this:

Storm Prism
Storm Trap (cast first, on the bottom of the stack)

Again, the game looks at the top of the stack (the last spell put down), which is the Storm Prism. Kraken, being Storm, triggers the Storm Prism, converting the damage to Myth. It then looks at the next (and last) spell in the stack: the Storm Trap. Since the spell is now Myth damage, it ignores the Storm Trap. It does 550 x 1.7, or about 935 damage.

The trick to using a school prisms is to cast it BEFORE you cast the school trap.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2010
A stack instead of a queue! LOL! Reading this post was like thinking I was going blind, and then discovering I had Scotch tape on my glasses.