Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game delays, getting stuck, unable to move

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Hi,

This has been happening to me for some time. I notice the problem the most in parts of Marleybone, most of Mooshu and also the Floating Island in Celestia.

My character will stop moving and literally freeze in place and then when I start moving again - sometimes I end up a few paces ahead and into a fight when I was off on the side. Sometimes it is so bad, I will wait to play with friends and just keep porting to them.

Here are the things I have already updated - please read before telling me to adjust settings:

in the game settings:

Full Screen is off
Graphic Detail is low
Texture Detail is low
Bloom active is off
Brightness at medium
Smoothing is off
Shadows are off
Particles are as low as the bar will go
and I always try to move to a perfect realm - which doesn't change the problem at all.

My computer settings:
All drivers are updated.
Windows Vista Home Edition
I did not update the Windows Explorer but this has been happening before that issue.
Process is dual quad - 2.10 GHz
Ram is 3.00 gb
32 bit operating system
for some reason I am not remembering how to see my video card driver but I have the NVIDIA if that helps.

When this issue has happened, I also go to my Task Manager and set my Wizard Graphical Client to High priority which doesn't seem change anything.

Also, I make sure that nothing is running on my computer when I am having this issue and have turned off my firewall while playing which also doesn't change anything. I have also run a complete scan of my computer and do not have any viruses, etc. I do also have the latest high speed modem and we have the second best high speed cable package available and get download speeds of 22.10 mbps and upload speeds from 3 - 6 mbps

If this is a setting with my computer - I would love to know.

If there is a log file that you need, please let me know.

Thank you,
Kelly

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
I know when there's a lot of stuff going on, like a lot of people hanging out in a spot, or some massive battles in an area, my computer lags and jumps. I have found that if I just sit there a moment and let it settle down when it does, it isn't so bad. I think it's just that there so much information there that the computer is trying to read, that it takes a minute to catch up. If anyone out there has a solution for that other than buying a new faster computer, I would love to hear it :-D

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Hi, Bunny ...

The only client based settings I can add to your very informative list is turn off all wizard names, friend, chat options, chat balloons, and the quest arrow WHILE you are having problems. It also helps to dismount, ie; WALK during times of laggy stress.

I have also found that a "perfect server" is not always as important as an "empty zone". If you are in a certain area where you can't even cross the path due to the "conga line" of npc's - and you don't see anybody else playing in that "zone" warranting such heavy npc generation, then change realms until you find a zone where the server is NOT anticipating a huge bunch of players to need 50-60 npc's to fight. You will know you have found one when the "conga line" has long open stretches of blank space between the npc's instead of a non-broken line as far as the eye can see.

Marleybone and Mooshu are often "over-mob'd" because of the realm-hopping people do to harvest reagents. Scrap iron and black pearls dominated most of the forum "reagent complaints" prior to Celestia's sunstones and golden pearls. Hundreds of people popping in and out, even if they are NOT fighting, has got to be sending some pretty confusing stuff to the software that is trying to populate the area with enough enemies for all those folks to fight.

Finally, the next time you are awake between 0200 and 0400, even for just a few minutes, start the game and check it out. If the game performs well for you during off hours, the"lag" you experience at other times is probably NOT client based, ie; on YOUR end, but server based.

The more stuff you can turn off, the better the server can respond to you when it is stressed. If I want a person's name, I mouse over them. If I want to see what all those people are talking about, I logoff and wait for it to pass ... lol ... no, just kidding. I turn the chat stuff on and quit trying to fight.

Hope it helps.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
TheRealHappyBunny wrote:
Hi,

This has been happening to me for some time. I notice the problem the most in parts of Marleybone, most of Mooshu and also the Floating Island in Celestia.

My character will stop moving and literally freeze in place and then when I start moving again - sometimes I end up a few paces ahead and into a fight when I was off on the side. Sometimes it is so bad, I will wait to play with friends and just keep porting to them.

Here are the things I have already updated - please read before telling me to adjust settings:

in the game settings:

Full Screen is off
Graphic Detail is low
Texture Detail is low
Bloom active is off
Brightness at medium
Smoothing is off
Shadows are off
Particles are as low as the bar will go
and I always try to move to a perfect realm - which doesn't change the problem at all.

My computer settings:
All drivers are updated.
Windows Vista Home Edition
I did not update the Windows Explorer but this has been happening before that issue.
Process is dual quad - 2.10 GHz
Ram is 3.00 gb
32 bit operating system
for some reason I am not remembering how to see my video card driver but I have the NVIDIA if that helps.

When this issue has happened, I also go to my Task Manager and set my Wizard Graphical Client to High priority which doesn't seem change anything.

Also, I make sure that nothing is running on my computer when I am having this issue and have turned off my firewall while playing which also doesn't change anything. I have also run a complete scan of my computer and do not have any viruses, etc. I do also have the latest high speed modem and we have the second best high speed cable package available and get download speeds of 22.10 mbps and upload speeds from 3 - 6 mbps

If this is a setting with my computer - I would love to know.

If there is a log file that you need, please let me know.

Thank you,
Kelly

Exact same things have been happening to me. Although, not until after I bought me the Manta Ray mount from the crown shop with my second wizard. Which I find weird.

Funny thing is, you hit the escape button, and you see the textbook icon pop up over your character's head as if nothing was wrong. You can 'feel' out the exit button with the mouse, and exit out of the game that way.

However, I find myself using my Task Manager to close down Wizard101 completely just to start it back up. Whatever this is, it should be addressed.