Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beggers must be stopped!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
I am posting for one reason and one reason only! I am having a very hard time restraining myself from these beggers! What I mean by this is that I simply can not go through Wizard City (mainly the shopping district) without at least one to two kids ( I assume ) asking me to buy them a mount or and Guardian suit or ect ect... I am so tired of this and it makes me very angry! I am an adult who works for my money! I spend money I earned on this stuff and to have kids come up to you and just outright ask for stuff and think that it is just ok to do so is nuts! Please KI can something be done. I was reading the Terms Of Use and i came across this little gem!

You agree to use the Site only for lawful purposes:

(a) Specifically you agree not to do any of the following:

(12) “stalk,” abuse or harass another user, or attempt to do any of the foregoing; or (13) engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Site, or which, as determined by the Company, may harm the Company or users of the Site or expose them to liability. Without limiting any of the foregoing, you also agree to abide by any code of conduct applicable to the Site or any service available on the Site.

Now being that these kids asking me to gift them mounts and clothing and all of that is defanitely making me NOT enjoy this game. Yes I do try to float through but even if I go through at full speed someone clicks me on the way then sends me a whisper asking for stuff. Some even have the nerv to try to act like they know me somehow.
" Hey this is _______! You know, ________'s friend! She said you were very nice and would help me with a mount. I would apriciate it if you could do this for me"

Please do something about this. One time I got very angry and lost my cool. I told a guy if he ran to the library and bought me a healing card I would do it. He ran to the library and I changed realms and left and the little .. well.. He reported me is what I am trying to say. Also i see Kids scamming other kids all day long. Something has to be done here. Maybe you guys could have in game GM's like other games in the past have done. Also you could have adult players volunteer to do this and recieve either play time or crowns as payment for this. This is something that Ultima Online used to do back in the day and it worked pretty well! Anyways someone had to say something because this is flat out getting out of hand.

Matthew Lifegiver lvl 50 Life 4 Life!

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
mshewmake2000 wrote:
I am posting for one reason and one reason only! I am having a very hard time restraining myself from these beggers! What I mean by this is that I simply can not go through Wizard City (mainly the shopping district) without at least one to two kids ( I assume ) asking me to buy them a mount or and Guardian suit or ect ect... I am so tired of this and it makes me very angry! I am an adult who works for my money! I spend money I earned on this stuff and to have kids come up to you and just outright ask for stuff and think that it is just ok to do so is nuts! Please KI can something be done. I was reading the Terms Of Use and i came across this little gem!

You agree to use the Site only for lawful purposes:

(a) Specifically you agree not to do any of the following:

(12) “stalk,” abuse or harass another user, or attempt to do any of the foregoing; or (13) engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Site, or which, as determined by the Company, may harm the Company or users of the Site or expose them to liability. Without limiting any of the foregoing, you also agree to abide by any code of conduct applicable to the Site or any service available on the Site.

Now being that these kids asking me to gift them mounts and clothing and all of that is defanitely making me NOT enjoy this game. Yes I do try to float through but even if I go through at full speed someone clicks me on the way then sends me a whisper asking for stuff. Some even have the nerv to try to act like they know me somehow.
" Hey this is _______! You know, ________'s friend! She said you were very nice and would help me with a mount. I would apriciate it if you could do this for me"

Please do something about this. One time I got very angry and lost my cool. I told a guy if he ran to the library and bought me a healing card I would do it. He ran to the library and I changed realms and left and the little .. well.. He reported me is what I am trying to say. Also i see Kids scamming other kids all day long. Something has to be done here. Maybe you guys could have in game GM's like other games in the past have done. Also you could have adult players volunteer to do this and recieve either play time or crowns as payment for this. This is something that Ultima Online used to do back in the day and it worked pretty well! Anyways someone had to say something because this is flat out getting out of hand.

Matthew Lifegiver lvl 50 Life 4 Life!

LOL...I found some of what you told to be funny, but I completely agree with what you said, but I am mostly laughing at what you did to that kid by sending him to the library. I guess he was as gullible as he was hoping you were! I don't think you really did anything there worth being reported, so hopefully nothing bad became of that. It was his own fault for jumping off the cliff because you told him to...lol.

I agree that because of this as well as cussing and talking about certain explicit acts, even while passing it through the filter and using words that would otherwise be unoffensive, that something should be done. I mean with the cussing/swearing it is one thing if it's really just an adult swearing out of frustration with something and only those with "open chat" can see it, but when some rather disgusting words are directed hatefully towards others....well that is something else.

Back to beggars...
Yes, I get sick of them too, though I have never been pursued as hard as you seem to have been, fortunately for me. The only things I suggest and for one thing wonder; which realms do you stay in? I try to stay in the mid to lower realms...there are less people there and oddly less actual children too, save for on weekends. The realms at the top of the list, like lets say Ambrose through Dworgyn are usually the worst to be in and are usually so overcrowded that it's hard to even see where you are going when heading through the WC commons area. If I ever log on and see that many people I quickly check my realm and usually change it.

Another thing that can be done is to turn off the bubbles for chat and to close your chat window. This will give you a very quiet experience as you make your way around. The bad thing about doing this is that any of your actual friends that tries to talk to you also will not have their text show up in a whisper as it would otherwise. The only way, then, that you will know if a friend has contacted you is to keep opening and checking your chat window, which is a real nuisance. This is really why something needs to be done though. Why should people that are following the rules and paying to enjoy the game be so inconvenienced because of some disrespectful kids that have nothing better to do than beg or cuss and act gross?

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
Wow everyone, I am really surprised that no one else is feeling as strongly about this as me and the one reponse I have gotten. This is something that literally raises my blood pressure every time it happens and thought it would do the same to other adults out there. Ok well I guess it would help if maybe I shortened the post a little bit.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
I feel the same way you do. I have only had one of these kids ask me to buy him a deck, I told him very politely no, I was saving up for my own and I felt he should do the same. Never had another request like that, I keep my chat turned on I only answer people I want to answer though, and I routinely take people off my friends list that I haven't spoken to in more then a day. But I think you've got a great idea, offer a few people incentives adult or not and you will have a lot less problems like this.

The one thing that gets to me even more is the friend requests, I am a grandmaster now but every since I reached level nine people have been friend requesting me if I stay in one spot for too long, then they are constantly wanting me to transport to them and help them with their battles. I don't mind helping someone once in a while who is really having a hard time beating a boss or something but these aren't even hard battles. Most of them I have done on my own, so I don't see any reason they can't, that is one of the ideas of the game isn't it to learn from mistakes, well if someone else is always coming to your aid you don't get a chance to make any mistakes and that sense of accomplishment is gone. Even on the few bosses I have had help on I have gone back later and beaten them on my own so that I know I have beaten them, not so that someone else has. Anyway that is my pet peeve, but I do agree with you and wanted you to know it.

Lauren Nightflower, Balance Grandmaster

Survivor
May 09, 2009
I agree with ya man, i'm a level 46 myth and i cant go through the shopping district/commons without some person coming up to me and asking "oh can i have a minotaur or earthquake". Most of the time, i restrain myself from strangling them, but other times, i let it all out on them Wizard101 has to do something about this

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
Ugh tell me about it one day i just want to go to the bazar and the next thing i know a dozen beggers follow me around and ask for stuff its just plain annoying there has to be something done about this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
niteorchid3 wrote:
I feel the same way you do. I have only had one of these kids ask me to buy him a deck, I told him very politely no, I was saving up for my own and I felt he should do the same. Never had another request like that, I keep my chat turned on I only answer people I want to answer though, and I routinely take people off my friends list that I haven't spoken to in more then a day. But I think you've got a great idea, offer a few people incentives adult or not and you will have a lot less problems like this.

The one thing that gets to me even more is the friend requests, I am a grandmaster now but every since I reached level nine people have been friend requesting me if I stay in one spot for too long, then they are constantly wanting me to transport to them and help them with their battles. I don't mind helping someone once in a while who is really having a hard time beating a boss or something but these aren't even hard battles. Most of them I have done on my own, so I don't see any reason they can't, that is one of the ideas of the game isn't it to learn from mistakes, well if someone else is always coming to your aid you don't get a chance to make any mistakes and that sense of accomplishment is gone. Even on the few bosses I have had help on I have gone back later and beaten them on my own so that I know I have beaten them, not so that someone else has. Anyway that is my pet peeve, but I do agree with you and wanted you to know it.

Actually, you didn't need to simply tell him no...You can't buy items for other players in the game, outside of gifting mounts. You can only buy stuff for your own characters, if the items are tradeable.

So all you had to do was tell him that the game itself doesn't allow players to buy items for other players in-game. And that the ONLY items that are tradeable between players is gold cards.

That way, you're helping another player learn about the game, as well as giving them a heads up on those that would scam them for other items in the process.

And if it was a player asking you to buy them a deck, it deffinately shows that that player was new to the game and didn't have a clue about what was tradeable/not tradeable. Which makes them a prime target for the real scammers in the game.

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
I havent been gone after much, (probably cause I dont really look like a grandmaster, only people who read my badge can really tell) But every now and then, some annoying kid will start screaming: FIONA! FIONA! HEY FIONA STARCATCHER! OVER HERE FIONA! To be polite, I go over to them and ask them politely whats up, and they ether ask me for A: A mount. B: Cards. Or C: Take them to Malistare. One VERY annoying kid persued me for about....... 30 minutes, mostly because I was staying in ravenwood, on the same server. (Because I had friends on that server, in that area, and I didnt want to ask them all to change so I could get away from the noob) He wanted to go to malistare, and was NOT taking no for an answer, at some point I told him the truth, at that particular time, Malistare now had 100,000 health (thank gosh they changed that to normal) Then he started calling me a liar noob, then some other grandmaster popped in, told him I was telling the truth, then ran off. Then the little brat said, ok NOW I believe you. But he wasnt done yet, oh no, he told me to take him to malistare, he wouldnt enter the battle, then as soon as I lowered malistares health enough, he would hop into the battle, so he could get the badge and drops! Now at this point I had told him no politely about 50 times, and he wasnt backing off, so I just reported him for being BEYOND annoying and left. I havent run into someone like that since, but yea, overall, I agree with ya, the nooby beggars must be stopped.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
niteorchid3 wrote:

As I have said; it does bug me when people beg, but most of the time I sort of laugh it off and I am usually moving around too much for these kids to pursue me anyway. I am not one who stands around the commons or any area for long periods. About the only time I am still may be when I am somewhere my character is alone or at the Bazaar. And if I am at the Bazaar then it's a good excuse to either laugh at or ignore people's conversations. Also, as said, I tend to stay in the realms with the very lowest population, so really it's rare if I even see 5 people in the same place most of the time, save for on weekends...every realm is bad on weekends, though some are worse than others. I usually like to save doing dungeons or towers for weekends because no one can really bother me in them except to whisper to me, which is fine.

Anyway, I want to address what you said about friend requests and teleports:

You can turn off both in the options menu. I do and ever since I had my first Grands I keep my friend requests off. My old Storm Grand and Death Grand usually get mobbed when I get on but ever since turning these features off I have a lot less trouble. And if someone asks you to add them just tell them you don't add people you don't know, or you can ignore them...which I do often. If you get to know someone and want to add them then it's up to you to turn your friend request back on temporarily so they can add you.

I had a guy come up to me last night in DS when I was taking my second storm wizard, who is level 47 now, through the bosses in the Crucible and he kept asking me to add him. I told him I don't add people I don't know. He finally asked if I would help him with this one boss, which I did, but I didn't friend him because I figure he would be one of these that is going to need it all the time and really doesn't actually want to be my "friend" anyway, just wants to use me, and I really get sick of that. It's not like I get on here without things I want to do myself and some of these people act like they are the only ones in the world and you need to help them and to heck with anything you want to do. Well, I won't put up with that. And even if they offer to help me I don't want it...so really they can't pay me back anyhow, I like to solo and do my own quests at MY pace without anyone getting in the way. I get on here to have fun, myself, not to be everyone's charity giver.

Some people do like helping others more once they finished the game themselves. (I have too many wizards I am working on at all times to ever consider myself this bored...lol.)Those are the ones these people should seek. In fact I often will see someone standing around when I go through the commons who is offering help to people.

I completely agree that you should first try the battles yourself and learn from them. This is how one becomes a good wizard. There are a lot of people who never really learn how to stack a deck and get really dependent on others and they never do learn. It's really pathetic.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you can turn off the friend requests and teleports. It makes the game a lot easier to deal with and more fun. It's like putting up a fence around your house; makes better neighbors...lol.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
AlicornsPrayer wrote:
niteorchid3 wrote:

Actually, you didn't need to simply tell him no...You can't buy items for other players in the game, outside of gifting mounts. You can only buy stuff for your own characters, if the items are tradeable.

So all you had to do was tell him that the game itself doesn't allow players to buy items for other players in-game. And that the ONLY items that are tradeable between players is gold cards.

That way, you're helping another player learn about the game, as well as giving them a heads up on those that would scam them for other items in the process.

And if it was a player asking you to buy them a deck, it deffinately shows that that player was new to the game and didn't have a clue about what was tradeable/not tradeable. Which makes them a prime target for the real scammers in the game.

Actually, the person was a couple of levels above me, so if I knew the rule one would imagine that they would also. It doesn't matter though because it never happened with that player again, and has never happened with any other player either. It doesn't matter that we know what was able to be traded or gifted in this case because at the time I didn't know that I couldn't trade or gift it to him. I just didn't do it. I was a free player and all the money I had was the money I had earned to buy what I wanted. And in my opinion they needed to do the same thing. Work and save the money (gold) up for it themselves.

It is actually the same way I feel about it with my kids. They work as hard as I do so they should be able to save up the amount of gold they need to buy what they want, and they do, both in the game and in real life. It is a lesson that many of the younger players need to learn. I know it's kind of an old fashioned concept but hey what can I say I am nearly half a centry old so it's understandable that my ideals would be that old also, right?

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
niteorchid3 wrote:
Actually, the person was a couple of levels above me, so if I knew the rule one would imagine that they would also. It doesn't matter though because it never happened with that player again, and has never happened with any other player either. It doesn't matter that we know what was able to be traded or gifted in this case because at the time I didn't know that I couldn't trade or gift it to him. I just didn't do it. I was a free player and all the money I had was the money I had earned to buy what I wanted. And in my opinion they needed to do the same thing. Work and save the money (gold) up for it themselves.

It is actually the same way I feel about it with my kids. They work as hard as I do so they should be able to save up the amount of gold they need to buy what they want, and they do, both in the game and in real life. It is a lesson that many of the younger players need to learn. I know it's kind of an old fashioned concept but hey what can I say I am nearly half a centry old so it's understandable that my ideals would be that old also, right?

They may have been a few levels above you, but obviously were new to what can be traded/gifted.

And no, I don't see you as old fashioned in how you play or teach your kids to play. I happen to be the same way. I'm only a few years away from the half a century mark myself. I just wish more players actually were like that, rather then expecting everything to be handed to them in-game.

Too many players here have that 'privelaged' mentality about what they think they should have easy access to in-game. So many today are raised in that 'fast food' lifestyle, that they expect play time to be just as easily obtainable...And just as cheap. 8)

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
They should understand that they can just raise gold to buy them! thats what i did with the old crown just make them all brown buy it then dye it simple they dont have to use crowns just tell them "if u want it go save gold for it" simple

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
Chool121 wrote:
They should understand that they can just raise gold to buy them! thats what i did with the old crown just make them all brown buy it then dye it simple they dont have to use crowns just tell them "if u want it go save gold for it" simple

They do know this but earning something is not something they ever intent to do in their lives. There are people like this in the game and then there are people like this in my area who are both kids and adult that will walk up to you when you are going into a store and even though they are wearing nice cloths they will ask you for money! Trust me they do understand that they could earn it but choose not to!

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
mshewmake2000 wrote:
Wow everyone, I am really surprised that no one else is feeling as strongly about this as me and the one reponse I have gotten. This is something that literally raises my blood pressure every time it happens and thought it would do the same to other adults out there. Ok well I guess it would help if maybe I shortened the post a little bit.

LOL, to funny. Have you ever thought about turning off your chat while in these areas?

Survivor
Jan 08, 2010
THANK YOU! I AGREE COMPLETLEY! also, why would we turn our chat off? that doesnt make it fair to us. we shouldnt have to do that. and we may have a friend with us, that just makes it annoying as well.

but yea, the beggers are STILL out of hand and i see this was posted a whole year ago! i only helped out one person once, he wouldnt leave me alone, i kept ignoring him and he kept following me EVERYWHERE i went literally, i finally gave him a bunch of treasure cards that he wanted, which i bought most of them, which i regret now because i desperatley need more, and then he came back all the time asking me for more. that is so rude. i just gave you so many and come back asking for more. and you never talk to me unless you ask for cards. i removed him from my friends list finally, but yea. so rude.

but that isnt even the worst of it. i posted in the other topic based on this too. people begging for mounts. seriously why would i buy you a mount? what makes you more special than the last person who asked me to buy them one too or the person before that and so on? i dont even know you! they see how expensive they are and obviously they cant afford it, so what makes you think i am going to buy you something that expensive? trust me, even if i had the money to spare i wouldnt, because you know that person would NEVER leave you alone, and nonetheless they should earn it on their own like we all did!