Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crafting: Worth it?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
I despise crafting. It takes forever, its boring, a waste of time, a waste of money, you get it. Why's it worth doing? What do you really get other than a few badges to show off. I mean the items are cool, but really answer me on this. Would you rather spend like 800 gold to actually get a recipe, plus everything it takes to buy more things needed, and spend hours to not even get a single diamond? OR, do things that make more sense like pvp and stuff that doesnt cost much, arent a waste of time and patience, and are actually fun and are reasonable to do?

Survivor
May 06, 2009
I've now taken two wizards through the crafting quests to Master Artisan. The first wizard was already a GM when the crafting update was released and it was a horrible experience. I did push through with much grumbling and eventually made the carousel and some furniture but vowed not to craft with my other wizards.

I started another wizard after the change in crafting with the lowered requirements and transmutation spells. With what I picked up along the way while questing and with the exception of a handful of scrap iron, I was able to complete the crafting quests all the way up to Mooshu with no additional farming. With the transmutation spells, getting enough diamonds, black pearls and blood moss was not that hard. Maybe because I already know of some good spawning points for the ore, black lotus and red mandrake.

The second time around I actually had fun crafting and the transmutation spells made all the difference. At least when you are farming for rare items now, there is a sense of accomplishment because every collected black lotus or red mandrake is another step towards your goal rather than just a throw away to be sold at auction. Much, much better.

Now when my two GM's run out of things to do I'll start crafting mannequins and farming for the various school outfits to put on them to display in my house. The gold spent on recipes really wasn't an issue once I reached Dragonspyre. The drops generate more gold than I can spend. My Necromancer just finished Malistaire last night and I have yet to do Ravenscar with her. Even so, she has a house that is complete, has finished all the crafting quests and still has almost 80,000 in gold.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
Crafting has three purposes currently that i can see.

1. if you have nothing else to do, all quest finished, and don't enjoy PvP.

2. if you realllllly enjoy decorating your house.

3. feeding new characters with crafted item. some of the crafted equipment is actually pretty good, but by the time you are able to craft it, it is not as good as what you already have, so trading it to your new characters is useful.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I find it fairly easy to get through the MS quests also now. The nice thing is that you can hunt for the black lotus without getting in battles, so if a friend can give you a lift to MS, you can get that crafting done while still early in MB (say, lvl 26ish)...that means you can then craft the level 42 cards (while not wonderful for say life, death having a few wraith cards for surprising the bosses is fun!).

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I did all the crafting quests with 2 of my wizards. Now Grandmasters. One is Life. Good for making healing cards. The other is balance. Good for making balance blade, hex, and bladestorm cards. I also enjoyed making the unique furniture. Many people liked my pavalion, bridge, and pond. All I crafted.

I am now on my third wizard and decided to forgo the crafting. LOL. I still find myself harvesting reagents. The reagents I get with that wizard are sold at the bazaar for other people to use.

Crafting can be tedious at times, especially when harvesting reagents, yet having unique housing items give you something to show off. :D

Hannah Lifebringer

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
It costs s lot of money and I only do it for quests, but if you buy a recipe, you can sell the things you make. I know it's a waste of time. But the easiest way to make it is to just buy it from the Wizard City Bazaar.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
I despise crafting. It takes forever, its boring, a waste of time, a waste of money, you get it. Why's it worth doing? What do you really get other than a few badges to show off. I mean the items are cool, but really answer me on this. Would you rather spend like 800 gold to actually get a recipe, plus everything it takes to buy more things needed, and spend hours to not even get a single diamond? OR, do things that make more sense like pvp and stuff that doesnt cost much, arent a waste of time and patience, and are actually fun and are reasonable to do?
i only sell regents that are rare like diamonds etc. to make a couple cash.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2009
Crafting worth it ? For me no. I played once and did all the crafting stuff. Never did craft anything better than what I already had, and wasted a lot of time wondering about Marleybone looking for scrap iron and getting dragged into battles. I am playing again and picking up whatever reagents I see and selling them at the bazaar

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
I actually love it personally. Heck, I've spent the last 2 days getting the regeants for the DS crafting quests, for my secondary character...And I'm having to have my hubby help me teleport her into MS and DS to get the regeants, as she's just got to Marleybone in the story line.

2 days of regeant hunting, and she's practically got all the ingredients for all 3 of the recipes she'll be assigned. She's only 6 moss, 12 diamonds, and 8 wraith fury cards short of all the ingredients. I'd say she was short frostflowers if not for the fact she'll have those later tonight, as hubby helped her teleport to my favorite drop area where I can have them all in 10 minutes of farming. She'll have the rest of the remaining ingredients in the morning in a couple of hours between the farming and transmutation cards. The only part that will hold her up is the cooling times between recipes.

To be honest? I actually miss the OLD crafting quests, when our characters had to make 5 of each item, WITHOUT the assistance of transmutation cards. With the items being lowered to 2 apiece and having the transmution cards for using the extras to craft the rares needed, doing the quests is a breeze.

In the meantime, there's always the furniture crafting quests I set myself on for furnishing my homes. Just got done awhile back crafting 20 jade chairs in less then 2 weeks, 8 bookshelves in 4 days, and 8 fancy counters in 4 days...Getting the rares for the chairs gave me the challenge I enjoy at least. Nothing like collecting 480 black pearls for some fancy chairs in the house to get the blood pumping. Now if only the house those items are going in would go on sale...Cause that's the only thing left holding that goal objective up at the moment.

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
I actually enjoy crafting. It's fun and gives you some XP and good gold. YES, the Cool Down time is crazy. But, it's worth it. Like, I was crafting in MooShu. And, It was late so I finished getting the regents and recipe, so I woke up the next day. Went to work, and came back and that quest was done. And the best thing is. That when you have the recipe and you finish it and you start to craft it and it goes into "Cool-Down" you can go and get your next quest. Like I did with Toshio I think his name is in MooShu and it says Quest Complete: Talk to _______ go and talk to him. And find all of the regents and when the other one is done cooling down, you have something to craft!