Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Losing my touch...

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I played the game years ago and have now come back for more fun. To my chagrin, however, I'm starting to have trouble defeating some of these guys. I'm in Counterweight West and have been zeroed out 4 times. I used to know how to whollop the 2000 and 3000 lifers. I even beat that elephant at the end of MooShu and went on to Dragonspyre. But I can't remember how. As I recall it had something to do with treasure cards adding on power, I think. I'm using Storm and Fire cards in my deck. I would hate to think I'm getting old . I need some advice.

Rachel, lvl 36 Storm.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
My first bit of advice is to get rid of Fire as a second school. Fire is a hitter school just like Storm, that also suffers from low accuracy in the beginning. You want your second school to enhance the primary one in some way.

Some better second school options are:

Ice, train up to Tower Shield for defenses
Death, train up to Feint for damage
Life, train up to Satyr for healing

Also, be sure you have the best gear available. The very best gear for level 30-60 is Aquila "Zeus" gear that comes from Mt. Olympus. It's a challenging dungeon to solo (I wouldn't recommend trying that), but not too terrible if you go in with someone else. After you talk to the Myth school teacher to get the quest, use the Team-Up option to find help. The Zeus gear will buff your accuracy, damage, health, pips, etc. Even the 'Senators' gear that drops for level 30 wizards there is pretty good.

But the main reason to do the Mt. Olympus dungeon is that you are 100% guaranteed to get a wand called the Sky Iron Hasta. It will give your wizard 10% extra damage. For that alone, it's worth it to run through at least once.

Last bit of advice is, try to get a good pet that helps with damage, defense, or healing. Having a helpful pet may make all the difference.

Alia Misthaven, 122
Sierra Stormcaller, 100

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Going to echo what I mentioned on a thread similar:

- Deck - Have a small deck for simple mob battles. Put in AoE spells such as Tempest and Storm Lord (learned at level 45) along with a few storm blades, elemental blades and maybe a trap or two. This helps to get battles done easier so time is not wasted looking for cards and absorbing damage you just can't afford.

- Gear - Your gear should focus heavily on damage and accuracy. If you're able to get the Zenus gear from Mount Olympus, it helps greatly. Makes no sense if you've gear and your accuracy is causing your spells to fail continuously.

- Strategy - Since your defenses are low, plan around this. Learn tower shield from Ice, Feint from death is useful (but not ideally necessary as yet) and you may need Satyr from life until you learn Healing Current (a storm school healing spell learned in Grizzleheim at level 55). Don't go into battles expecting bosses to take it easy on you. They won't. Shield when you see their pips are high or they've a couple charms up on you.

- Try again - If you're defeated, try again. Don't give up. You may need to take a little step back from the computer and that's okay. I can promise you that things will get better!

- Pet - A solid healing pet with resists helps tremendously!
But, I will add another section here:

- Treasures: If you fizzle a lot, consider putting accuracy treasures in your deck and enchanting your hits such as sniper. You already have the damage, so you would need the accuracy, these treasures help loads.

Good Luck!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
But just to mention. You're already storm, you don't need any assistance from fire. What I mean by that is you've no reason to learn spells from the fire school, consider the ones I suggested above.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Thank you Miss Freshta and Mr. Star Edward. I will be re-arranging myself. I just wish I could get all those training points back. I went to Aquila and entering the first battle I knew I was over my head. That "Team Up" button is for asking for help? Good to know. Thanks again for the guidance. Maybe I will just start a new wizard.

Rachel, lvl 46 Storm

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
colocrys on Dec 7, 2017 wrote:
Thank you Miss Freshta and Mr. Star Edward. I will be re-arranging myself. I just wish I could get all those training points back. I went to Aquila and entering the first battle I knew I was over my head. That "Team Up" button is for asking for help? Good to know. Thanks again for the guidance. Maybe I will just start a new wizard.

Rachel, lvl 46 Storm
Don't delete your wizard just wait for a training point buy back day. You can get rid of any spells you don't want any more.
Oh and since you are level 46 once you reach level 50 you can buy a potion to level up any other wizard(s) you want on the same account, to also reach level 50.

Also make sure to always take training point quests from Zeke and Eloise in each world, if you haven't already.

Those spare training points really come in handy later and those items they want you to pick up will be there anyway as you quest around.

Aquila is super hard! I got trounced when I tried it. :) I'm max level now and just did some more in Aquila, it still was not 'easy.' So don't feel too bad.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Wanted to add here.
Again, nice to see how we're helping each other out :)

About your wizard though. Periodically, KI holds events allowing members to purchase traning points back for free. If you can wait this long (not sure when the event may be - could be one of the 12 day surprise), then you won't have a need to create a new storm wizard.

The suggestions listed above are spot on, just apply them and always remember to never give up. Just like everything, learning these may take some time to develop, but with practice, you'll get the hang of it.