Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Shrike? Not worth it.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
357
First of all, I'd like to ask, What is a Shrike, and What is a Sentinel? But my post is about how bad the stats for the Shadow Shrike spell is. Lets take a look at the current card:
  • +50% Armor Pierce
  • +10% Damage
  • -25% Healing

Really? Only +10% Damage? Armor Pierce, we don't need that much. Our gear already covers that. What I suggest is take 25% from the Armor Pierce and add it to the Damage so its +35% Damage. With the current +10% Damage, it dose not really help at all. In my opinion, I think its not worth the Backlash and waiting for a Shadow Pip.
What do you guys think?

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4117
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I'd like to ask, What is a Shrike, and What is a Sentinel? But my post is about how bad the stats for the Shadow Shrike spell is. Lets take a look at the current card:
  • +50% Armor Pierce
  • +10% Damage
  • -25% Healing

Really? Only +10% Damage? Armor Pierce, we don't need that much. Our gear already covers that. What I suggest is take 25% from the Armor Pierce and add it to the Damage so its +35% Damage. With the current +10% Damage, it dose not really help at all. In my opinion, I think its not worth the Backlash and waiting for a Shadow Pip.
What do you guys think?

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95
I disagree. It's good where it is. Shadow pips only appear by chance, so you cannot rely on it. Some battles you have a pip first round others go the whole battle without one showing up. Aside from that the 50% pierce is great for bosses that shield or require prisms normally. As for the Backlash, if you are using it smartly, you'll never see any Backlash. Kill them before the spell runs out and nothing hits you. You use the spell just before being ready to hit.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
You're one of the few to misunderstand the use of this spell, this spell is meant for PvP and for piercing through Shields in PvE [At least I believe so] It isn't exactly meant for damage, The damage buff is good though, When fighting enemies with massive resist for 3 rounds you can pierce 50%+, the damage is there for back up too, the -25% healing is there to say that card is meant for healing.
Sentinel adds 80 block, -10% incoming damage [I think] for 3 rounds, and intercepts teammate damage by either 10 or 25% [Forgot how much], So for 3 rounds you have 80 more block, your teammates will take 10% or 25% damage less and that damage is inflicted on you. It's like having a way to take damage for your teammates.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2012
2
huh? you don't like it? I wish death got this spell for free and you don't like it? interesting but its very helpful because remember not everyone has the same gear and this helps in piercing shields and resist very effectively

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
307
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I'd like to ask, What is a Shrike, and What is a Sentinel? But my post is about how bad the stats for the Shadow Shrike spell is. Lets take a look at the current card:
  • +50% Armor Pierce
  • +10% Damage
  • -25% Healing

Really? Only +10% Damage? Armor Pierce, we don't need that much. Our gear already covers that. What I suggest is take 25% from the Armor Pierce and add it to the Damage so its +35% Damage. With the current +10% Damage, it dose not really help at all. In my opinion, I think its not worth the Backlash and waiting for a Shadow Pip.
What do you guys think?

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95
To answer your first question- a sentinel is one who guards or warns of danger, a shrike is a carnivorous bird with a hooked bill that belongs to the family Laniidae. They also often impale their prey. The sentinel thing I understand them using. The shrike thing I don't really ... Whatever. Anyway, for your last question, not all people have armor pierce, so the spell isn't too bad.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth

Historian
May 06, 2009
630
MythWizardForeves on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
To answer your first question- a sentinel is one who guards or warns of danger, a shrike is a carnivorous bird with a hooked bill that belongs to the family Laniidae. They also often impale their prey. The sentinel thing I understand them using. The shrike thing I don't really ... Whatever. Anyway, for your last question, not all people have armor pierce, so the spell isn't too bad.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth
A Shrike also comes from the Hyperion books, which was a creature will long, metal figures that came from a place unkown that would pierce it's victims and gruesomely kill them (it's not a kid-friendly book from what I've skimmed). Much of the design of the Shadow Shrike seems to have stemmed from the Hyperion Shrike if you look online. You can find out more detail on the Hyperion shrike online.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
253
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I'd like to ask, What is a Shrike, and What is a Sentinel? But my post is about how bad the stats for the Shadow Shrike spell is. Lets take a look at the current card:
  • +50% Armor Pierce
  • +10% Damage
  • -25% Healing

Really? Only +10% Damage? Armor Pierce, we don't need that much. Our gear already covers that. What I suggest is take 25% from the Armor Pierce and add it to the Damage so its +35% Damage. With the current +10% Damage, it dose not really help at all. In my opinion, I think its not worth the Backlash and waiting for a Shadow Pip.
What do you guys think?

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95
Really? It seems like half the people on these message boards complain about how over powered it is.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
175
It is overpowered. Overpowered and "lame sauce" as people say. Takes all strategy out of everything in arena completely. It's like a, "oops time for fight to end" button. Shame on you KI! Nerf this or add SOMETHING to counter it. It's killing the arena worse than immunity was.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4117
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
It is overpowered. Overpowered and "lame sauce" as people say. Takes all strategy out of everything in arena completely. It's like a, "oops time for fight to end" button. Shame on you KI! Nerf this or add SOMETHING to counter it. It's killing the arena worse than immunity was.
There are plenty of ways of countering it. Just because you can't think of the several ways to counter it, doesn't mean it's overpowered and needs nerfing. I'll give you a hint, use one of the many spells that will prevent them from attacking you while it's up. You can also use one of the many spells that prevents them from lowering backlash.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
119
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
It is overpowered. Overpowered and "lame sauce" as people say. Takes all strategy out of everything in arena completely. It's like a, "oops time for fight to end" button. Shame on you KI! Nerf this or add SOMETHING to counter it. It's killing the arena worse than immunity was.
Bro, the, arena is already dead... The arena was full of corrupt people, so everyone went to P101 for a fresh start and a more evenly matched pvp...

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I'd like to ask, What is a Shrike, and What is a Sentinel? But my post is about how bad the stats for the Shadow Shrike spell is. Lets take a look at the current card:
  • +50% Armor Pierce
  • +10% Damage
  • -25% Healing

Really? Only +10% Damage? Armor Pierce, we don't need that much. Our gear already covers that. What I suggest is take 25% from the Armor Pierce and add it to the Damage so its +35% Damage. With the current +10% Damage, it dose not really help at all. In my opinion, I think its not worth the Backlash and waiting for a Shadow Pip.
What do you guys think?

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95
I disagree. Against enemies with resist to your school shrike is useful. It is also a great spell for pvp.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
175
Eliminate this awful spell from PVP or at least nerf it for PVP this is ridiculous.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 20, 2014 wrote:
Eliminate this awful spell from PVP or at least nerf it for PVP this is ridiculous.
The spell is not ridiculous. What is ridiculous is failing to utilize the numerous counters to this spell.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
12
ViciousVenomousVixen, I get the feeling that you are an ice wizard. If not, whatever wizard you are, think about how shrike could benefit others who are not your school. Schools such as ice are quickly growing immune to schools such as fire and storm, the exact schools that get Shadow Shrike for free (and myth). This spell was literally meant for these schools as an attempt to counter the powerful ice immunity.

Also, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Instead of complaining on the massage boards about how "KI should nerf it for PvP," and "It is overpowered," work to find one of the many solutions that other players have found to counter pierce, such as dispelling until the small three rounds that it lasts have run out.

I do not feel that the spell is meant for PvP as many of you stated, in fact I think that the spell was meant for PvE. The spells play a major part in the Khrysalis storyline, and if they were meant for PvP, they would be purchased from Diego or something. I have utilized the spells multiple times when facing bosses in Khrysalis, and I find them extremely helpful. PvP is not the main focus of the game by the way, but main questing is the main focus, and I think that KI is trying to help us along with that.

Seethe42, you are awesome. I pretty much agree with everything you have said. Just had to get that out there.

Michael Goldenflame, Level 95

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
30
Mgold you are wrong on so many levels. Why if storm cant use say myth to beat ice your argument is pointless because is already to op anyway. Here is a solution and this goes for fire as well use a secondary school. You can when you want health or use wands anyway. The problem is fire and storm want damage without consequences but storm goes over the top with wanting no weaknesses. Storm got a wand and healing ability but life, ice, and myth got nothing for their weakness how do you give storm a healing ability and not myth not even a increase in damage? What about balance getting school specific blades?

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
35
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I'd like to ask, What is a Shrike, and What is a Sentinel? But my post is about how bad the stats for the Shadow Shrike spell is. Lets take a look at the current card:
  • +50% Armor Pierce
  • +10% Damage
  • -25% Healing

Really? Only +10% Damage? Armor Pierce, we don't need that much. Our gear already covers that. What I suggest is take 25% from the Armor Pierce and add it to the Damage so its +35% Damage. With the current +10% Damage, it dose not really help at all. In my opinion, I think its not worth the Backlash and waiting for a Shadow Pip.
What do you guys think?

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95
Forget all those tower shields, I think this spell is one of the best KI could have come up with, even though its just 10% damage, the 50% pierce is BRUTAL, I personally think it should be kept how it is.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
12
shadowbalance36 on May 4, 2014 wrote:
Mgold you are wrong on so many levels. Why if storm cant use say myth to beat ice your argument is pointless because is already to op anyway. Here is a solution and this goes for fire as well use a secondary school. You can when you want health or use wands anyway. The problem is fire and storm want damage without consequences but storm goes over the top with wanting no weaknesses. Storm got a wand and healing ability but life, ice, and myth got nothing for their weakness how do you give storm a healing ability and not myth not even a increase in damage? What about balance getting school specific blades?
I am sorry, but what exactly does this comment have to do with shadow shrike? I feel like this is just a rant about storm being overpowered. Everyone can use shrike.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2014
11
Shadow shrike is good the way it is. Also shrike is best with death IMO, as death you can steal health and heal the backlash off. Also 10% is worth it as its more damage even if it is so little.

Explorer
Aug 30, 2009
91
Ultimatemagic1 on May 18, 2014 wrote:
Shadow shrike is good the way it is. Also shrike is best with death IMO, as death you can steal health and heal the backlash off. Also 10% is worth it as its more damage even if it is so little.
yes... just yes.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
30
Mgold1234 on May 5, 2014 wrote:
I am sorry, but what exactly does this comment have to do with shadow shrike? I feel like this is just a rant about storm being overpowered. Everyone can use shrike.
I wrote shadow shrike is way overpowered with less consequence. I was also responding to a poster a few before me. Your probably one of the ones who has a storm or fire and find nothing wrong with the game period. Shrike is overpowered and the majority would agree. It should never be used in pvp to make a already unbalanced game even worse.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4117
shadowbalance36 on May 21, 2014 wrote:
I wrote shadow shrike is way overpowered with less consequence. I was also responding to a poster a few before me. Your probably one of the ones who has a storm or fire and find nothing wrong with the game period. Shrike is overpowered and the majority would agree. It should never be used in pvp to make a already unbalanced game even worse.
Why do people who think a certain spell is overpowered always assume that the majority agrees with them? If you read the forums and fansites you'll see that you are NOT a majority. Most people have learned to deal with it and adjusted their strategy. The only people who still think shrike is overpowered are the 50 level ice/jade warlords who can't stall matches into forever anymore. It restored balance to the game by providing a counter to rampant immunity and ultra high resist.

Defender
Mar 16, 2011
100
seethe42 on May 21, 2014 wrote:
Why do people who think a certain spell is overpowered always assume that the majority agrees with them? If you read the forums and fansites you'll see that you are NOT a majority. Most people have learned to deal with it and adjusted their strategy. The only people who still think shrike is overpowered are the 50 level ice/jade warlords who can't stall matches into forever anymore. It restored balance to the game by providing a counter to rampant immunity and ultra high resist.
Hear, hear. The majority agrees completely with you.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
32
Shadow Shrike is worth it for questing and pvp questing wise you can get rid of shields likes towers and elemental or spirit shield and for pvp pierce though all or almost all their resist works good with infallible for pvp. Also with a 10% damage boost it helps as well.

Austin FireCaster lv100

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
5
shrike is pretty powerful. and i'd say it well worth the wait. it can be really powerful if used right it can take out an ice full resist down and hit especially when used with a dragon, angel, etc I think it is op but worth it
steven spell sword- level 84