Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Now I Understand

1
AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 01, 2009
265
I've been playing Wizard101 since the beginning. My son was the first to log in and create a storm character, and he was having so much fun that I decided to give it a try. After taking a life wizard to level 50-when level 50 meant something-I made a little ice wizard. That has been my main wizard all this time. I've soloed Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, Briskbreeze, Waterworks and most of Azteca, and last week, formed with two other people to finish Xibalba. Woohoo, I thought, now I can head into Khrysalis! I was highly encouraged by the many posts from other players regarding the ability to solo...well, everything.

Today, it all came to a grinding halt with the impending battle against Tymen Whiteflame. I've reached level 97-all solo, except for 3 purchases of henchmen-and bam. I Googled Whiteflame, and found a myriad of posts, almost all of which speak to the fight if you are formed with other people. There are a few videos of solo battles against him: one in the test realm without the minions, and one with a death wizard. Whiteflame is ice, as am I, so right away, this is a tough fight. No worries, I believed, as I have battled high-health ice bosses before, but this one casts mana burn. So as I save my precious pips, he takes them away. Which means the only way for me to beat him is by purchasing henchmen over and over again until I either die or win.

I understand the "hard-core" gamers want more challenges, more high-health bosses, more difficulty, but what about the rest of us? As for my soloing, it's not always by choice. The majority of people I used to play with no longer even log in. The ones who made it into Khrysalis suddenly disappeared a month or so after beginning the world. With Xibalba, I was lucky enough to find two other people who needed to finish it when I did. The "Team Up" option has never garnered me any response.

(I wonder if it's all about the money? Solo and casual gamers, whose friends have stopped playing, are forced to spend crowns to continue-is that the plan, KI?)

So, without people with whom I can quest, I am stuck. Soloing ice bosses with over 22K in health, who also cheat, is simply not an option. It was sheer luck that I bumped into other people at Xibalba; if I hadn't, I wouldn't be in Khrysalis now. My choices are to give up and not receive my level 98 pet, or grind on, spending all my crowns on henchmen. I have great crafted gear, really good stats, good pets; that's not the problem. The problem is the KI has made soloing impossible after a certain point, and made the game so hard after that point, it's tough to find anyone with whom you can form.

Too bad we can't keep Dyvim Whiteheart with us through the entire world.

Erin Ice Weaver.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
593
Whitflame isn't that bad, but you may want to make a friend or two. The game is not designed to solo. You can port into a friend in Whiteflame's dungeon, so even a lower level can help.

If you want to do it alone, unbalance stops the mana burn cheat. I am not sure why you find ice vs ice hard. Use prisms and keep pierce TCs in your side deck. Empowerment is nice for that fight.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
Snee432 on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
I've been playing Wizard101 since the beginning. My son was the first to log in and create a storm character, and he was having so much fun that I decided to give it a try. After taking a life wizard to level 50-when level 50 meant something-I made a little ice wizard. That has been my main wizard all this time. I've soloed Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, Briskbreeze, Waterworks and most of Azteca, and last week, formed with two other people to finish Xibalba. Woohoo, I thought, now I can head into Khrysalis! I was highly encouraged by the many posts from other players regarding the ability to solo...well, everything.

Today, it all came to a grinding halt with the impending battle against Tymen Whiteflame. I've reached level 97-all solo, except for 3 purchases of henchmen-and bam. I Googled Whiteflame, and found a myriad of posts, almost all of which speak to the fight if you are formed with other people. There are a few videos of solo battles against him: one in the test realm without the minions, and one with a death wizard. Whiteflame is ice, as am I, so right away, this is a tough fight. No worries, I believed, as I have battled high-health ice bosses before, but this one casts mana burn. So as I save my precious pips, he takes them away. Which means the only way for me to beat him is by purchasing henchmen over and over again until I either die or win.

I understand the "hard-core" gamers want more challenges, more high-health bosses, more difficulty, but what about the rest of us? As for my soloing, it's not always by choice. The majority of people I used to play with no longer even log in. The ones who made it into Khrysalis suddenly disappeared a month or so after beginning the world. With Xibalba, I was lucky enough to find two other people who needed to finish it when I did. The "Team Up" option has never garnered me any response.

(I wonder if it's all about the money? Solo and casual gamers, whose friends have stopped playing, are forced to spend crowns to continue-is that the plan, KI?)

So, without people with whom I can quest, I am stuck. Soloing ice bosses with over 22K in health, who also cheat, is simply not an option. It was sheer luck that I bumped into other people at Xibalba; if I hadn't, I wouldn't be in Khrysalis now. My choices are to give up and not receive my level 98 pet, or grind on, spending all my crowns on henchmen. I have great crafted gear, really good stats, good pets; that's not the problem. The problem is the KI has made soloing impossible after a certain point, and made the game so hard after that point, it's tough to find anyone with whom you can form.

Too bad we can't keep Dyvim Whiteheart with us through the entire world.

Erin Ice Weaver.
I believe the upper worlds do become a crown event for many, they do buy their way though. Having done this a few times myself for the spell fights in Azteca and once in Avalon I stopped that practice as it cheapened the game for me a lot. I came to realize if I can't complete a battle in a reasonable amount of time, on my own, it means I can not play the game the way it needed to be played. It has out grown my ability in gaming - I am not really the gamer so that doesn't help.

As for the new world - we had many on our friends list that we pushed though Azteca and left them off at the door of KY - they stopped playing all but one now. I later wanted my Ice pet and since I had done all quests and sides I was able to get to lvl 98 in the Gorge area. The Life pet is of no interest to me and since I had quested with my Life over cap a while back, I would have to continue further on to get to lvl 98 and I am not interested in that at all.

Easy for some is not easy for all. Going forward if I am going to play the game any more it's going to be with in my means - end of Avalon is about all it can stand. I have never gone by the "just because it's there" theory. One of the wizards I paid for the spell quests on I left in Pitch Black Lake and won't be questing any more with that wizard so virtually a waste of crowns invested on that one.

I see no problem paying to quest but it just isn't for me. I think we all need to seek our level in a game. There was a lot more that was acceptable when they were mainly dealing with kids - now that they roped in the adult crowd it's

Mary

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2925
Erin, I feel your pain.

Most of my friends have moved on to other games, and the ones I have left are several time-zones behind me, making it very difficult for me to meet up with them. My storm wizard went the crowns route for Whiteflame, simply because I had no other choice.

This whole game has become a pay-to-win: PvP, hoard packs, advanced pets, Azteca and Khrysalis... the list goes on. I won't be surprised if we're soon able to purchase spells and levels (or bypass them entirely) for crowns.

On that note, the crowns vs. time balance used to be, well, balanced. Now, it's a terribly-lopsided slogfest that requires crafted items upon crafted items with reagents and TC that can only be found in the longest, cheatiest, most-annoying and time-consuming instances (like Torturesauce, Snoremaster, and Xiblahblah). The "time" in that equation is more like doing time.

If you want help with Whiteflame, misery loves company: I can meet you on my balance wizard and spam unbalance. Do you have a Central account?

(if not, it's free to make one... my name there is Von Shadowsong, so feel free to shoot me a PM with your timezone if you still need help)

-von
exalted

Delver
Sep 01, 2009
265
Gemma Luna on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
Whitflame isn't that bad, but you may want to make a friend or two. The game is not designed to solo. You can port into a friend in Whiteflame's dungeon, so even a lower level can help.

If you want to do it alone, unbalance stops the mana burn cheat. I am not sure why you find ice vs ice hard. Use prisms and keep pierce TCs in your side deck. Empowerment is nice for that fight.
Perhaps you missed the part of my post where I specifically state ice versus ice isn't the issue. I can one-hit kill an ice boss with Lord of Winter. It's the mana burn and the heal stuns. And unbalance is a waste of pips.

As for your comment on the solo aspect of the game, again, I soloed the majority of the worlds. So, it can be done. And again, this was not always by choice. The friends I started with four years ago no longer play, my son quit, and while I do make new friends, many of them are unavailable, unable, or unwilling to help.

Finally, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun, not work. Grinding away until all hours of the night is not an option for me, and frankly, I agree with other posters who believe cheating bosses should not be part of the main quest line. If hard-core players want them, fine, give them that option. High health-no problem. Same school-no problem. Three minions, or an all-boss fight-no problem.

Odds are, I won't make Exalted before the membership expires, and that's okay. Because in the grand scheme, there are much more important things than Wizard101.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4117
Snee432 on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
Perhaps you missed the part of my post where I specifically state ice versus ice isn't the issue. I can one-hit kill an ice boss with Lord of Winter. It's the mana burn and the heal stuns. And unbalance is a waste of pips.

As for your comment on the solo aspect of the game, again, I soloed the majority of the worlds. So, it can be done. And again, this was not always by choice. The friends I started with four years ago no longer play, my son quit, and while I do make new friends, many of them are unavailable, unable, or unwilling to help.

Finally, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun, not work. Grinding away until all hours of the night is not an option for me, and frankly, I agree with other posters who believe cheating bosses should not be part of the main quest line. If hard-core players want them, fine, give them that option. High health-no problem. Same school-no problem. Three minions, or an all-boss fight-no problem.

Odds are, I won't make Exalted before the membership expires, and that's okay. Because in the grand scheme, there are much more important things than Wizard101.
Whiteflame is where us solo players need to dig into out spell decks and bring out those never used minions. They provide at least partial cover from the mana burns to set up.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2011
17
I am sorry to hear a lot of people struggle like that. The game is part of MMO RPG genre for a reason. When I lvled up I never spent crowns on henchmen or other stuff like gear or packs. What I suggest is go to commons or do some pvp and find good friends that are willing to help u. I bet soloing that is such a time taker and it really would make me mad ifI spent so much time on that.
But srsly try to find friends to do it with, you will be surprised to see how many people are willing to help u.
Wizard101 community is by far the nicest one in online gaming! Heck even if u can't find any friends u can find me in pvp lobby or 1v1 ranked matches just look for ArturBattle.

ArturBattle

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
Along with others above, I feel for you. Yes, many of us feel this way. As you said:

"Finally, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun, not work."

Exactly!

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
Along with others above, I feel for you. Yes, many of us feel this way. As you said:

"Finally, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun, not work."

Exactly!
Your posts always contradict yourself. I am having trouble understanding your posts because the solution is written exactly in there. If you think W101 is work, simply stop playing and find a better game to suit your needs. Complaining multiple times about it will only get you even more frustrated. I would suggest playing in stints so you won't feel as bored.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
593
Snee432 on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
Perhaps you missed the part of my post where I specifically state ice versus ice isn't the issue. I can one-hit kill an ice boss with Lord of Winter. It's the mana burn and the heal stuns. And unbalance is a waste of pips.

As for your comment on the solo aspect of the game, again, I soloed the majority of the worlds. So, it can be done. And again, this was not always by choice. The friends I started with four years ago no longer play, my son quit, and while I do make new friends, many of them are unavailable, unable, or unwilling to help.

Finally, this is a game. It's supposed to be fun, not work. Grinding away until all hours of the night is not an option for me, and frankly, I agree with other posters who believe cheating bosses should not be part of the main quest line. If hard-core players want them, fine, give them that option. High health-no problem. Same school-no problem. Three minions, or an all-boss fight-no problem.

Odds are, I won't make Exalted before the membership expires, and that's okay. Because in the grand scheme, there are much more important things than Wizard101.

"Whiteflame is ice, as am I, so right away, this is a tough fight"

I read it quite carefully ;) "It's the mana burn and the heal stuns. And unbalance is a waste of pips."

You can look for solutions to problems, or complain about them. It's easy enough to get help for one fight, and there are ways to get around every cheat. If you aren't willing to do either, the problem really isn't the game.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
593
Artur Battle on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
I am sorry to hear a lot of people struggle like that. The game is part of MMO RPG genre for a reason. When I lvled up I never spent crowns on henchmen or other stuff like gear or packs. What I suggest is go to commons or do some pvp and find good friends that are willing to help u. I bet soloing that is such a time taker and it really would make me mad ifI spent so much time on that.
But srsly try to find friends to do it with, you will be surprised to see how many people are willing to help u.
Wizard101 community is by far the nicest one in online gaming! Heck even if u can't find any friends u can find me in pvp lobby or 1v1 ranked matches just look for ArturBattle.

ArturBattle
"Wizard101 community is by far the nicest one in online gaming!"

it is! and that is the biggest reason I love the game. I can solo very well, but I'd rather not. Friends make everything easier and more fun.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
TPG Miserie on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Your posts always contradict yourself. I am having trouble understanding your posts because the solution is written exactly in there. If you think W101 is work, simply stop playing and find a better game to suit your needs. Complaining multiple times about it will only get you even more frustrated. I would suggest playing in stints so you won't feel as bored.
Never said I was bored. Never said I don't like the game. Nor do I think I have ever contradicted myself.

I have said consistently that Wizard101 should stay true to the family friendly, whimsical, magical game it advertises itself to be, and that it started out to be. That is the game that drew me and my daughter in and it is a truly wonderful game.

When the game gets too difficult or tedious, then it is not true to its promise. When it takes many hours and crowns to complete an instance, it is not true to its promise. This detracts from the quality and fun of the game.

Keeping cheating bosses and long difficult dungeons out of the main quest line, and making the game so it is manageable for a solo player are suggestions totally in keeping with the spirit of the game as it started out to be and as it is advertised to be.

Expressing my opinions on these matters is giving KI feedback that contributes to the overall quality of the game. Nor am I alone in these opinions, as this thread and comments from many others demonstrates. This is info that I think KI should have -- feedback from loyal players about what works and does not work for them.

If you disagree with my opinions, that is your prerogative. By all means, you have just as much right to have and post opinions as I do.

But complaining about my posts multiple times will only get you more frustrated. If my posts land in your world as too much of a complaint or too hard to understand, then I suggest you either don't read them, or only read them in stints so you won't feel as unsettled.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4117
TPG Miserie on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Your posts always contradict yourself. I am having trouble understanding your posts because the solution is written exactly in there. If you think W101 is work, simply stop playing and find a better game to suit your needs. Complaining multiple times about it will only get you even more frustrated. I would suggest playing in stints so you won't feel as bored.
Frankly, even though I disagree with certain points that Finn and Von have, I completely agree with their right to express their view. Suggesting people just go away doesn't really contribute to the dialogue and doesn't really give any feedback to KI to improve the gaming experience. They have valid complaints and issues with the direction of the game. I disagree on the extent of their solution but I do not dismiss their issue out of hand.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
seethe42 on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Frankly, even though I disagree with certain points that Finn and Von have, I completely agree with their right to express their view. Suggesting people just go away doesn't really contribute to the dialogue and doesn't really give any feedback to KI to improve the gaming experience. They have valid complaints and issues with the direction of the game. I disagree on the extent of their solution but I do not dismiss their issue out of hand.
Thank you Seethe. I really appreciate your reasonableness and helpful contributions to the boards. Even though we do disagree at times, I also recognize the integrity in your posts. I can see that you, like me and Von and many of the active contributors to the boards, genuinely want to keep this game fun and engaging. We may disagree about what we think is fun and engaging -- but there is underlying integrity and respect for the differences of view. (And, on an aside, your advice on gardening is always great!) So thanks!

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
I disagree with almost all of Finn's posts. I am trying to understand his way of thinking hence my original reply. My conclusion is he is too much of a casual gamer to be able to handle W101.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
seethe42 on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Frankly, even though I disagree with certain points that Finn and Von have, I completely agree with their right to express their view. Suggesting people just go away doesn't really contribute to the dialogue and doesn't really give any feedback to KI to improve the gaming experience. They have valid complaints and issues with the direction of the game. I disagree on the extent of their solution but I do not dismiss their issue out of hand.
Aww, sweet reply :) The motive of my first post was for me to understand Finn's way of thinking because I find myself disagreeing with alot of his posts. As well, I am intrigued by the fact I seem to be disagreeing. I have made my own personal conclusion (already stated) about him based on his response.If that conclusion is wrong, he should correct me. I don't disagree or agree with someone in the same way as I would to another person. The reason for this is very complicated to explain (I doubt you would listen). If he wants to keep posting the same opinion, that is his choice. I simply suggested what he could have done instead of wasting his time doing that. Otherwise, interesting reply.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
FinnAgainWindrider on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Never said I was bored. Never said I don't like the game. Nor do I think I have ever contradicted myself.

I have said consistently that Wizard101 should stay true to the family friendly, whimsical, magical game it advertises itself to be, and that it started out to be. That is the game that drew me and my daughter in and it is a truly wonderful game.

When the game gets too difficult or tedious, then it is not true to its promise. When it takes many hours and crowns to complete an instance, it is not true to its promise. This detracts from the quality and fun of the game.

Keeping cheating bosses and long difficult dungeons out of the main quest line, and making the game so it is manageable for a solo player are suggestions totally in keeping with the spirit of the game as it started out to be and as it is advertised to be.

Expressing my opinions on these matters is giving KI feedback that contributes to the overall quality of the game. Nor am I alone in these opinions, as this thread and comments from many others demonstrates. This is info that I think KI should have -- feedback from loyal players about what works and does not work for them.

If you disagree with my opinions, that is your prerogative. By all means, you have just as much right to have and post opinions as I do.

But complaining about my posts multiple times will only get you more frustrated. If my posts land in your world as too much of a complaint or too hard to understand, then I suggest you either don't read them, or only read them in stints so you won't feel as unsettled.
Unsettled is an inaccurate word. Again, more like intrigued.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
Snee432 on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
I've been playing Wizard101 since the beginning. My son was the first to log in and create a storm character, and he was having so much fun that I decided to give it a try. After taking a life wizard to level 50-when level 50 meant something-I made a little ice wizard. That has been my main wizard all this time. I've soloed Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, Briskbreeze, Waterworks and most of Azteca, and last week, formed with two other people to finish Xibalba. Woohoo, I thought, now I can head into Khrysalis! I was highly encouraged by the many posts from other players regarding the ability to solo...well, everything.

Today, it all came to a grinding halt with the impending battle against Tymen Whiteflame. I've reached level 97-all solo, except for 3 purchases of henchmen-and bam. I Googled Whiteflame, and found a myriad of posts, almost all of which speak to the fight if you are formed with other people. There are a few videos of solo battles against him: one in the test realm without the minions, and one with a death wizard. Whiteflame is ice, as am I, so right away, this is a tough fight. No worries, I believed, as I have battled high-health ice bosses before, but this one casts mana burn. So as I save my precious pips, he takes them away. Which means the only way for me to beat him is by purchasing henchmen over and over again until I either die or win.

I understand the "hard-core" gamers want more challenges, more high-health bosses, more difficulty, but what about the rest of us? As for my soloing, it's not always by choice. The majority of people I used to play with no longer even log in. The ones who made it into Khrysalis suddenly disappeared a month or so after beginning the world. With Xibalba, I was lucky enough to find two other people who needed to finish it when I did. The "Team Up" option has never garnered me any response.

(I wonder if it's all about the money? Solo and casual gamers, whose friends have stopped playing, are forced to spend crowns to continue-is that the plan, KI?)

So, without people with whom I can quest, I am stuck. Soloing ice bosses with over 22K in health, who also cheat, is simply not an option. It was sheer luck that I bumped into other people at Xibalba; if I hadn't, I wouldn't be in Khrysalis now. My choices are to give up and not receive my level 98 pet, or grind on, spending all my crowns on henchmen. I have great crafted gear, really good stats, good pets; that's not the problem. The problem is the KI has made soloing impossible after a certain point, and made the game so hard after that point, it's tough to find anyone with whom you can form.

Too bad we can't keep Dyvim Whiteheart with us through the entire world.

Erin Ice Weaver.
Henchmen are not your only option; you can ask your friends for help. Bosses like, Tymen Whiteflame, forces you to change your strategy. The difficulty level is fine and does not need to be changed. Cheating bosses in the main storyline adds greater depth and variety to it.

Your ice wizard is in a better shape than my myth (and probably my death as well.) All of my wizards have terrible pets, but I always manage a way around it. Just recently, my myth finally got his level 98 pet on his 3rd attempt soloing the boss without henchmen. He used the Brilliant Attire from the crowns shop that provides zero resists. Compare that to your crafted gear, eh?

Grace Skullshade Level 100 .
Mycin Skullshade Level 98 .
Destiny Skullshade Level 90 .
Jose Skullshade Level 70 .
Valerian Skullshade Level 30 .

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
TPG Miserie on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
I disagree with almost all of Finn's posts. I am trying to understand his way of thinking hence my original reply. My conclusion is he is too much of a casual gamer to be able to handle W101.
First of all, Wizard101 is a casual game. That is what it is designed to be, what its target audience is, and what distinguishes it from the rest of the vast majority of games on the market today.

Secondly, I fail to see why you choose to make it a personal attack on me. I am one of many voices saying the same thing. In this thread, in fact, I was merely agreeing with and quoting the OP to give my support to the point he raised. Yet you chose to single me out, and suggest that I leave the game -- which I must say I find a very inconsiderate tack to take.

As for being unable to handle the game, again, I find that a very rude and ill-thought remark. I have been able to solo most of the game, have multiple wizards playing, have children playing, and have helped many others to play successfully as well. In PVP, I am a warlord. The fact is, you really don't know me at all, so you are basing your opinion on your own reaction to my posts, rather than on any genuinely thoughtful understanding or engagement with the actual dialogue or content in the posts.

By contrast, Seethe has also disagreed with me on many occasions -- including on this topic of whether cheating bosses should be in the main storyline. But he actually focuses his comments on the points being made, rather than making personal attacks on me or trying to tell me what he thinks I should do. So though I disagree with Seethe at times, I very much respect him as a genuine contributor to the boards.

If you disagree with my points, then disagree with my points, and state your own thoughts on the topics. But please don't be so inconsiderate as to make personal attacks and character assassinations. Telling me to stop playing, is not addressing the topic and not dealing with the substance of the issue at hand. If you think cheating bosses belong in the main storyline, then articulate why you think they do -- rather than trying to make me go away so you don't have to deal with someone who disagrees with you. Make a contribution and build the community, rather than trying to chase people away or put them down personally.

Delver
Sep 01, 2009
265
TPG Miserie on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
I disagree with almost all of Finn's posts. I am trying to understand his way of thinking hence my original reply. My conclusion is he is too much of a casual gamer to be able to handle W101.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the problem. KI seems to have the same attitude towards we casual players that Miserie has: we simply don't matter. We can't "handle" a game that is marketed, promoted, and advertised as a "family friendly" game for "all ages."

Perhaps Miserie, and KI, are right. Perhaps some players can't handle a game that seems to require a level of commitment normally reserved for a job.

A couple of years ago, this all would have frustrated me. Now, October will come, our membership will expire, and life will go on. Given that the people I started with no longer play, my son no longer plays, and none of his friends play, frankly, Wizard101 has lost a lot of appeal. The higher level worlds are almost completely devoid of people, and what's really odd is I rarely see anyone anywhere else other than the Commons. Dragonspyre-empty. Celestia-empty. Zafaria and Avalon-empty. Azteca and Khrysalis-barren.

I've wondered for over four years how KI can market this game the way they do. At the very least, it's disingenuous, at the most, it's false advertising. "Free to play," unless you want to level or PvP, or do anything, really. And now, "family friendly" seems to be a misnomer as well.

Well, I'd write more, but I have a lovely weekend planned with family, away from the computer. Hopefully, some of the other casual players will be out and about, enjoying the holiday weekend as well. No, we won't level ten times, but we'll get a little sun, and have a lovely time.

And isn't that more important than Wizard101?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
TPG Miserie on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
I disagree with almost all of Finn's posts. I am trying to understand his way of thinking hence my original reply. My conclusion is he is too much of a casual gamer to be able to handle W101.
I personally think I can "handle" anything the game throws at me. My problem is the happy go lucky "fun" factor I joined the game for. It wains at a certain point in the game, then it becomes work or a chore to progress. Slogging a long just to process the game many call this challenge - not me.

Clearly the family fun set wasn't working out so the game switched to content for the more serious gamers at a certain point. For me it's end of Avalon and all of Azteca, the latter I will never quest though again.

As gear becomes harder to get and worlds become harder to process people leave. Some make new wizards and start the trek again others just quit. There is no room for the so so players - only the better ones need bother or frustration sets in.

What do I feel? Betrayed and stupid. Betrayed for the level of difficulty the game becomes and stupid for just not going away and breaking in another game that may suit my game style more.

Mary

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4938
TPG Miserie on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
I disagree with almost all of Finn's posts. I am trying to understand his way of thinking hence my original reply. My conclusion is he is too much of a casual gamer to be able to handle W101.
Well that IS the point. The game was never meant to be for hard-core gamers only. It is a family game. It is geared toward children. If a game cannot be played as a casual gamer, it will lose members. It's happened many,many times before and is happening now. You don't see the members that were here from the beginning very much anymore. and that is a mistake on the part of KI. A big one.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
My thanks to Snee, Northlite, and Ravenlady!

You have all wonderfully stated exactly what I too have been trying to say! We are simply asking that a game that originated as a casual family game, is marketed and promoted as a casual family game, and that got its great success and delight initially by being exactly what it said it would be (a casual family game), Be what it says it is meant to be!

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
FinnAgainWindrider on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
First of all, Wizard101 is a casual game. That is what it is designed to be, what its target audience is, and what distinguishes it from the rest of the vast majority of games on the market today.

Secondly, I fail to see why you choose to make it a personal attack on me. I am one of many voices saying the same thing. In this thread, in fact, I was merely agreeing with and quoting the OP to give my support to the point he raised. Yet you chose to single me out, and suggest that I leave the game -- which I must say I find a very inconsiderate tack to take.

As for being unable to handle the game, again, I find that a very rude and ill-thought remark. I have been able to solo most of the game, have multiple wizards playing, have children playing, and have helped many others to play successfully as well. In PVP, I am a warlord. The fact is, you really don't know me at all, so you are basing your opinion on your own reaction to my posts, rather than on any genuinely thoughtful understanding or engagement with the actual dialogue or content in the posts.

By contrast, Seethe has also disagreed with me on many occasions -- including on this topic of whether cheating bosses should be in the main storyline. But he actually focuses his comments on the points being made, rather than making personal attacks on me or trying to tell me what he thinks I should do. So though I disagree with Seethe at times, I very much respect him as a genuine contributor to the boards.

If you disagree with my points, then disagree with my points, and state your own thoughts on the topics. But please don't be so inconsiderate as to make personal attacks and character assassinations. Telling me to stop playing, is not addressing the topic and not dealing with the substance of the issue at hand. If you think cheating bosses belong in the main storyline, then articulate why you think they do -- rather than trying to make me go away so you don't have to deal with someone who disagrees with you. Make a contribution and build the community, rather than trying to chase people away or put them down personally.
Finally! That is the post I've been waiting for. For once, I actually agree (my post is ill-fated and so on.) You are correct, I don't know you and could never understand you. However, you could also never understand me. This is proven in the way we argue. In your view, you think I was trying to chase someone away. You are dead wrong. The people I am surrounded with (family, relatives and so on) used mockery and verbal trickery to argue. The concept may seem ridiculous to you, which is perfectly acceptable. This is the beauty of a disagreement. Another thing, you have proven that disagreeing with someone is intriguing. The fact you had to bring/mentioned another user (Seethe 42) is irrelevant with my post you quoted. I am interested in your response.Otherwise, you know you've lost.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
FinnAgainWindrider on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
First of all, Wizard101 is a casual game. That is what it is designed to be, what its target audience is, and what distinguishes it from the rest of the vast majority of games on the market today.

Secondly, I fail to see why you choose to make it a personal attack on me. I am one of many voices saying the same thing. In this thread, in fact, I was merely agreeing with and quoting the OP to give my support to the point he raised. Yet you chose to single me out, and suggest that I leave the game -- which I must say I find a very inconsiderate tack to take.

As for being unable to handle the game, again, I find that a very rude and ill-thought remark. I have been able to solo most of the game, have multiple wizards playing, have children playing, and have helped many others to play successfully as well. In PVP, I am a warlord. The fact is, you really don't know me at all, so you are basing your opinion on your own reaction to my posts, rather than on any genuinely thoughtful understanding or engagement with the actual dialogue or content in the posts.

By contrast, Seethe has also disagreed with me on many occasions -- including on this topic of whether cheating bosses should be in the main storyline. But he actually focuses his comments on the points being made, rather than making personal attacks on me or trying to tell me what he thinks I should do. So though I disagree with Seethe at times, I very much respect him as a genuine contributor to the boards.

If you disagree with my points, then disagree with my points, and state your own thoughts on the topics. But please don't be so inconsiderate as to make personal attacks and character assassinations. Telling me to stop playing, is not addressing the topic and not dealing with the substance of the issue at hand. If you think cheating bosses belong in the main storyline, then articulate why you think they do -- rather than trying to make me go away so you don't have to deal with someone who disagrees with you. Make a contribution and build the community, rather than trying to chase people away or put them down personally.
I already achieved personal satisfaction because my point is already stated. In several of my posts, I actually stated that I'm immature, bad person, arrogant.etc which is true. In other words, I don't care what you have to say. Any comments you made about me or my belongings are automatically negated because you don't know me. I also don't worry if my post contradicts because you don't know me. Only my family, relatives, and those in my workplace know me and they like me for who I am. Great to be an adult age but still considered as a kid. A bully is what you are.

1